The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,392

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default Retired players’ complaint takes aim at Drew Brees

Retired players’ complaint takes aim at Drew Brees

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...at-drew-brees/

Here's the excerpt that sticks in their craw

Quote:
In support of the argument that current players aren’t committed to taking care of the retired players, the lawsuit echoes this quote from Brees: “There’s some guys out there that have made bad business decisions. They took their pensions early because they never went out and got a job. They’ve had a couple divorces and they’re making payments to this place and that place. And that’s why they don’t have money. And they’re coming to us to basically say, ‘Please make up for my bad judgment.’” The retired players claim that this quote constitutes “antipathy for NFL retirees” from Brees.
To add context, Brees made the quote speaking about one portion of the retirees and not all retirees or those suffering medically.

To me it was a harsh truth. Then I read some of the comments below concerning Brees' comments.

Quote:
He needs to shut his mouth and be thankful for the players that paved the way for him to be the jerk that he is.
Quote:
Drew Brees is arrogant and one of the worst phonies in sports.
Quote:
Drew Brees, Mr. All-American Good Guy… yeah right. Now we see the real character behind the phony image. What a fraud. What a fake.
This one is my favorite:
Quote:
Drew, find a bunch of offensive linemen from the 80′s, really understand their situations & what they need, and protect them financially. Otherwise, you are a rich jerk that really does not appreciate the people that got you into a position to earn what you earn. IMHO anyway.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vail
Posts: 16,241

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

This just makes me like Drew Brees even more.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,046

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

That was pretty cold by Brees, but im sure he has some specific examples in mind.

Hard to just throw a blanket statement over everyone though like that.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,884
Default

Personally, I feel they have a legit beef.

Unless Drew buys Lawrence Taylor a few (legal age, with ID!) prostitutes a month, he's dead to me.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,049

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Hard to just throw a blanket statement over everyone though like that.
To be fair, he did use the word "some" not "all".
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

entitlements....
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,607
Default

I see it both ways. There are guys who did the right thing after retiring, got jobs, continued to make money without going for a big score in the market or a business venture, and are doing just fine.

There are those who went after the big money and the fabulous prizes and didn't get either, and now have a host of medical bills.

But there are also those who, through repeated concussions and other medical ailments, after playing in an era with salaries that were less than 1/10th of current averages, were not able to hold a job or make any money. Those are the guys I feel for.

The blanket statement is the suck.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
DarkHorse
RPM Racer
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 4,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley
Default

He said exactly what needed to be said - he's 100% right on probably 50% of the retirees that it was directed to.

Look at some of the ignorance that is done in today's NFL - Travis Henry spawning 18 future felons, guys rolling around with Bentley's, "bling", etc.... - so 20 years from now the current players of that time are supposed to feel sorry for guys like this and give them more money to blow?

**** that.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer
 
Steve Prefontaine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,401

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I don't see a thing wrong with Brees said. It wasn't a blanket statement. He said some players.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,392

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Again, the comments were referring to different groups among the retirees and not describing all or even most retirees.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

They made their bed. I don't give a damn about someone who decides years after the fact that they were undercompensated. Let 'em rot in their own tears.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #13
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I see it both ways. There are guys who did the right thing after retiring, got jobs, continued to make money without going for a big score in the market or a business venture, and are doing just fine.

There are those who went after the big money and the fabulous prizes and didn't get either, and now have a host of medical bills.

But there are also those who, through repeated concussions and other medical ailments, after playing in an era with salaries that were less than 1/10th of current averages, were not able to hold a job or make any money. Those are the guys I feel for.

The blanket statement is the suck.
those players should be taken care of, however right now it seems like the retired players are just trying to get in on the pie while its up for discussion, when in reality, they are not NFL players and really shouldnt have a part. the fact that the NFL and NFLPA should and are giving them money is how it should be, but to try and litigate your way into money that you are not currently involved in in any way?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,570

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Better disability compensation and the rest can just stfu, imo
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46,773

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Lol..what a bunch if children. It's not current players jobs to support retired players.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #16
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,749

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Better disability compensation and the rest can just stfu, imo
This.

Due to the violent nature of football, this should be effing mandatory. Everything else the players are responsible for themselves. ****ed your pension away? Tough ****. Blew your money on hookers? Tough ****. Made bad business deals? Tough ****.

Welcome to the real world a-hole.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Don't buy NFLPA merchandise either!!!

Buy only the ripped off ****.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Brees needs to wipe that bird-poop off his face
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 1,646
Default

I completely agree with Mr. Brees. F'm
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Gene helping John figure out FA

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,312

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default

I don't think the old timers should be compensated or given reperations but I would like to see them get free or very close to free medical and look at some sort of medical disability coverage, if not that then maybe some type of nursing home for retired players where they can go to live out their last days like the Actors have.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #21
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I don't think the old timers should be compensated or given reperations but I would like to see them get free or very close to free medical and look at some sort of medical disability coverage, if not that then maybe some type of nursing home for retired players where they can go to live out their last days like the Actors have.
Would it be nice to do? Sure.

Do they have ANY claim that should ever remotely see a courtroom? Not a chance.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #22
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I don't think the old timers should be compensated or given reperations but I would like to see them get free or very close to free medical and look at some sort of medical disability coverage, if not that then maybe some type of nursing home for retired players where they can go to live out their last days like the Actors have..
Can you say "Sitcom waiting to happen"?
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #23
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,803

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default

Brees is right. If you couldn't save and made stupid ****ing decisions with your money...gtfo.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #24
Kaylore
Genetically Superior
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Because I am better.

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,392

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

Yeah that was my take as well. The players aren't obliged to give the older generation more money because they are making more now. I like what one poster said on the PFT site; If some old dude came to your work and told you that you were able to work at your job because of the way he helped grow the business when he worked there in the sixties, and that you therefore owe him a part of your paycheck, what would you say? I know what I'd say...

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama Baby
Posts: 6,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

Well being that I wasn't gifted enough to make it to the NFL, however, I did piss away a lot of money on the NFL, I feel that I should be compensated by the players. I mean, it's their fault that I didn't make it.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Denver Broncos