The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default Sea reported to offer 1st and 3rd for Kolb when lockout lifts

Just read that on profootball talk. If he's worth that much Orton should be at least worth more then the 3rd round pick some analysts say we would take. What do you guys think? Sea bluffing to screw cards? he doesn't seem to be that good to me. Is Kolb over hyped because he hasn't played a lot yet?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Is Kolb over hyped because he hasn't played a lot yet?
Very much so.

You can't really say he sucks yet, but he's done nothing to be worth a first and a third.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

So then Shannahan do you think maybe Sea floating that just to mess with Ariz, and force them to give up more, or does sea really want him that much.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Kolb is the same, really, as Schaub was. Maybe Kolb had a bit more publicity before Vick took the job.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Effing ridiculous that someone might pay that for Kolb but it wouldn't surprise me all that much. Eagles can't pass up that compensation but I wonder what they'll do when Vick gets injured, which he will. With his style of play it's very unlikely he can lasat 16 games. Here's to hoping Denver can steal a 2nd rounder for Orton...
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Ahhhhh, potential. Just another way of saying that you haven't done squat yet.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
extralife
Ring of Famer

I like how every fan is always against paying draft picks for potential. What do you think you do in the draft? Kolb was a high pick, and now he's seasoned and most of the tape is good. Unless you can find a draft full of ten year vets, any QB you pick is going to be more of an unknown than Kolb is.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I don't think Orton is a good comparable to Kolb. Kolb is younger and vastly more athletic. He's had time to sit, learn and mature into a pro QB, but he's still got tons of good years left. Orton is a decent game manager, but his physical limitations are readily apparent and he can almost never making something out of nothing. That said, a 1st and 3rd would be excessive for Kolb, but if that's what the market bears, then we could probably get a 2nd for Orton.

I suspect Carroll is probably smarter than that, though. I could see him possibly giving a
1st rounder for Kolb (or perhaps a 2nd that could mature into a 1st based on achievement based objectives for Kolb), but not also throwing in the 3rd.

I'd say that in a reasonable market, Orton might be worth a 3rd round pick. At this time, he is still probably a better dropback passer than Tebow (although Tebow has reported taking about 1000 dropbacks a day in his private workouts this summer, so I'm sure he's improved over last year), but Tebow is certainly more dynamic and can allow us to do a panoply of creative things on offense that would make us difficult to prepare for. Also, ofcourse, he's vastly more popular with the fans and has tremendous potential going forward to redefine the position once he gets his regular reps. It doesn't hurt that he's widely more popular in the fanbase and will sell alot more jerseys for ol Scrooge McDuck. So, he's going to start. Orton would be a terrific backup, but there's probably more value for Denver in giving him up for a 3rd than keeping him for just one year. This is going to be a transition year, regardless, and its going to be tough, so its not like if he steps in, things are going to magically be much better. We've got to ride it out. I'd rather just do that and get that extra 3rd since our roster will need all the quality future draft picks it can get.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

So much for Charlie Whitehurst...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Orton should be a 2nd rounder.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
So much for Charlie Whitehurst...

Well, if they pay a 1st and a 3rd, Seattle would be consistent on paying backups a **** load of draft picks. I actually like Kolb and think his time has come to get to play a season as the starter. I would love Seattle to pay that much as Orton was not destined to go to Seattle and the asking price would be higher than the 3rd. Ive always have said it better be at least a 2nd rounder. This would hopefully confirm it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #12
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Wouldn't surprise me given how much they gave up to get Whitehurst. (Moved back form #40 to #60 and threw in a 3rd rounder).

I also think Orton could net a 2nd. He's not even two years older than Kolb, and has put up pretty good numbers the past three years.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It's nice to be actually talking some football. Feels good.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
It's nice to be actually talking some football. Feels good.
What's that...I don't even remember.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #15
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Orton should be a 2nd rounder.
That would be nice. I'll take it!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
What's that...I don't even remember.
I know. I can't wait for FA to start so we can see how Broncos plan to fill out the front 7, what they will do at RB, does Dawkins stay, do they stand pat at WR evem with DT and Royal iffy because of injuries? Lot's of stuff for Broncos to get done, more like 2 offseasons worth.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Just read that on profootball talk. If he's worth that much Orton should be at least worth more then the 3rd round pick some analysts say we would take. What do you guys think? Sea bluffing to screw cards? he doesn't seem to be that good to me. Is Kolb over hyped because he hasn't played a lot yet?
it's the Cutler factor in a way. Young guy who hasn't supposedly reached his full potential but has the looks of a possible pro bowler. the unknown commodity that has the pretty wrapping will always go for more than the known commodity.

however i do believe we should be able to pull in at least a 2nd for Orton. he has shown the last 2 seasons, he can fling the ball all over the field as well as almost anyone in the league, and he just needs some help on defense and in a running game.

i truly hope Seattle is willing to put down a deal like that, so we can fleece the Cards for a minimum of a 2nd rounder for Kyle.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
it's the Cutler factor in a way. Young guy who hasn't supposedly reached his full potential but has the looks of a possible pro bowler. the unknown commodity that has the pretty wrapping will always go for more than the known commodity.

however i do believe we should be able to pull in at least a 2nd for Orton. he has shown the last 2 seasons, he can fling the ball all over the field as well as almost anyone in the league, and he just needs some help on defense and in a running game.

i truly hope Seattle is willing to put down a deal like that, so we can fleece the Cards for a minimum of a 2nd rounder for Kyle.
I'm confused. If Orton has proved he can throw ball well last couple years would we be fleecing the Cards for a 2nd? I think if you find a QB who is better then what you had, can start for a couple yrs, hell thats a worth a 2nd IMO. I think a 2nd rounder would be a fair deal for both teams. Fitz and Orton would, IMO, be a good fit. Orton just needs to throw it up for him, he really is that good down the field. I would sort of feel good about Fitz at least breaking up almost any ball thrown up to him.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #19
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

If Seattle nabs him for that we might be able to squeeze a 2nd and 4th out of AZ.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #20
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The Cards are in desperate need for a QB. If they can even get a decent one, they have a great chance to win their division since it is so bad. A deal with them I think can be done and a 2nd rounder could be reasonable with them considering they like I stated, have a great shot at winning that division.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
The Cards are in desperate need for a QB. If they can even get a decent one, they have a great chance to win their division since it is so bad. A deal with them I think can be done and a 2nd rounder could be reasonable with them considering they like I stated, have a great shot at winning that division.
Orton working out with Mr. Fitz will hopefully spin things that way too.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #22
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
I think the Cards will go after Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft but may not outbid the Dolphins.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I think the Cards will go after Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft but may not outbid the Dolphins.
They could, but no way is Pryor ready for the NFL, so I donīt think taking Pryor would stop them from having interest in Orton. Orton is much better than anything the Cards have right now at QB.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #24
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
They could, but no way is Pryor ready for the NFL, so I donīt think taking Pryor would stop them from having interest in Orton. Orton is much better than anything the Cards have right now at QB.
We all see value in Orton but I'm afraid other teams will not be willing to give much up for him. I see a third round pick for him at best and I would be shickeled titless if we get a second.

I could see Pryor as a perfect fit in Miami, he could sit a year and be another Vick.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Hell, why don't we just ask for eight 1st round picks for Orton?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote