The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default Car Repair Suggestions Wanted

Hello friends,

I need a recommendation on where to take my car in Denver to get my shocks/struts looked at and most likely replaced.

Was thinking one of these chain places? Brakes Plus, Midas, etc.

Feedback wanted, thanks in advance.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Hello friends,

I need a recommendation on where to take my car in Denver to get my shocks/struts looked at and most likely replaced.

Well I can't tell you where to go but I can tell you what to watch out for. First never never never take your car to midas unless you like taking it up the butt with no lube.

Try to find a good mom and pop shop. I have managed many goodyears over the years and they are about 1 thing and thats money.

Shocks and struts are a weird deal. There are good ones and bad ones and that's it. If you are looking for cheap just leave the old ones on they work the same.

If it is a normal car I would go with the Monroe sensa-trac. These increase your stopping distance, make your tires wear great and have a nice ride. They use a channel grove technology. They figured out where 80 percent of your ride is and grooved the shock/struts so that the nitrogen can flow freely around the shock under normal driving conditions but as soon as the body rolls or you hit a pot hole it is full charged and you can maintain control. They should be around 55 per shock and 85 per strut + install.

They come with a lifetime guarantee and if you have a little time you can usually find them with a promo for buy 3 get one free or a mail back rebate of some kind.

If you get me a year make and model I will even give you a fair price to look for. Hell if your up for a drive to Portland I'll even put them on for you.

Oh and when you are getting your prices make sure to get prices on bearing plates and jon's boot's too. They really make a big difference.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 06-29-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
If it is a normal car I would go with the Monroe sensa-trac. These increase your stopping distance, make your tires wear great and have a nice ride.
I hope this is a typo.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I hope this is a typo.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I hope this is a typo.
I have thought about this and I think it is correct. Increasing your stopping distance would make it less, even though sounds wrong. When you are talking about stopping distance it is from a MPH to stop. So if you were going 60 mph and it took you 150 feet to stop and then you change the struts and it went to 125 feet the that would be a increase of about 15 percent. Or I may be wrong but it works for me.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 06-29-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Hello friends,

Alpine Auto in Lakewood.

However, the caveat always with car mechanics is they can f up anything. But, Alpine is pretty good and prideful.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I have thought about this and I think it is correct. Increasing your stopping distance would make it less, even though sounds wrong. When you are talking about stopping distance it is from a MPH to stop. So if you were going 60 mph and it took you 150 feet to stop and then you change the struts and it went to 125 feet the that would be a increase of about 15 percent. Or I may be wrong but it works for me.
Trust me. You'll never see any tire company or brake company bragging about increased stopping distance. Read any car review that tests these things. It's not like air conditioning where one often says "turn up the AC" to actually make it colder.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Well I can't tell you where to go but I can tell you what to watch out for. First never never never take your car to midas unless you like taking it up the butt with no lube.

Try to find a good mom and pop shop. I have managed many goodyears over the years and they are about 1 thing and thats money.

Shocks and struts are a weird deal. There are good ones and bad ones and that's it. If you are looking for cheap just leave the old ones on they work the same.

If it is a normal car I would go with the Monroe sensa-trac. These increase your stopping distance, make your tires wear great and have a nice ride. They use a channel grove technology. They figured out where 80 percent of your ride is and grooved the shock/struts so that the nitrogen can flow freely around the shock under normal driving conditions but as soon as the body rolls or you hit a pot hole it is full charged and you can maintain control. They should be around 55 per shock and 85 per strut + install.

They come with a lifetime guarantee and if you have a little time you can usually find them with a promo for buy 3 get one free or a mail back rebate of some kind.

If you get me a year make and model I will even give you a fair price to look for. Hell if your up for a drive to Portland I'll even put them on for you.

Oh and when you are getting your prices make sure to get prices on bearing plates and jon's boot's too. They really make a big difference.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
Shocks are easy to replace, takes about 5 minutes per wheel. Struts suck, you need a spring compressor and you have to get the shock oriented properly to get it back into the suspension. Which is why a shop will charge you about $100 per wheel and f it up often. Replacing struts is not a shadetree mechanics kind of deal. I do my own, but it's quite an ordeal.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Shocks are easy to replace, takes about 5 minutes per wheel. Struts suck, you need a spring compressor and you have to get the shock oriented properly to get it back into the suspension. Which is why a shop will charge you about $100 per wheel and f it up often. Replacing struts is not a shadetree mechanics kind of deal. I do my own, but it's quite an ordeal.
I charge twice as much for do it yourselfers ! Sorry but if you don't know what your doing with struts don't mess with them. Keeping you head attached to your body is a good thing.

As for an install price I would look for about 64 bucks each.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Check out Bear Frame & Axle in Englewood. Years ago they did a camber adjustment and alignment for me when nobody else could because of the car being too low. The price was more than fair and they got it done right the first time. I agree that you should stay away from those MIDAS type places.
IHaveALight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I really really like Downing Street Garage in Denver. 4th and Downing. They routinely win "most honest mechanic in Denver" honors. Not a small feat.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Try Shut Yer Strut n Shock Yer Jock Car Repairs on Rearview Street.

Ask for Bubba.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I really really like Downing Street Garage in Denver. 4th and Downing. They routinely win "most honest mechanic in Denver" honors. Not a small feat.
We have a winner. Gracias.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
Meck77

Not sure about Denver but I always turn to www.yelp.com when I want to find the best recommendations. http://www.yelp.com/c/denver/autorepair

I actually own two auto repair shops in AZ now and we're expanding to Denver soon. When we enter the market here we will be the place to go!

If any of my fellow maners are ASE certified drop me a line. We're hiring mechanics in Tucson right now and Denver before too long.

All of our mechanics will be positioned so they can eventually own their own franchise.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote