The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Best cellphone service plan/company.

Who do you have, how much you pay, and are you satisfied?

I guess it down to the big three of Verizon, Att, and Sprint. They seem to be priced the same.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Verizon seems to have the best signal, though not sure about the other features when compared.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
JimmyFocus
Solid Starter

Sprint.. but i got on when they had the SERO plans a few years ago.... 30 bucks for 500 minutes unliminted pictures, text and data. Staying with them as long as i can. No other carrier even comes close. Only had 1 dropped call in over 5 years, so cant complain either.
JimmyFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFocus View Post
Sprint.. but i got on when they had the SERO plans a few years ago.... 30 bucks for 500 minutes unliminted pictures, text and data. Staying with them as long as i can. No other carrier even comes close. Only had 1 dropped call in over 5 years, so cant complain either.
Holy crap that's a good deal. The same set up with Verizon is close to triple that now.
CHANGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I've had Sprint for two years, have rarely, if ever had a dropped call. I get 500 anytime minutes I believe, the best data plan (unlimited everything) and I only pay ~ 65 a month. They also throw free upgrades and other **** at you quite a bit. I just got my Palm Pre (not the coolest, but great for me) a while back and I'm already eligible for discounts if I want to upgrade again to one of the newer phones.

They've always been understanding with any issues I had. The only thing that pissed me off is I never received my 10$ account credit for turning in my old phone. Oh well. That's a Domino's pizza. Big whoop.

Sprint -- The Baller Network.

Go Sprint or just go back to using pagers.

Million dollars on a corner. $.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have AT&T and the service was great for quite some time. These days, I sometimes have 3-4 dropped calls a day. Was that way in KY and didn't change when I moved to Florida. I'd drop and change if every plan now didn't require like 1000 mins or something. I use like 200 a month, at most.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #7
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

It really depends were you are. In DC area it's Verizon, Sprint and ATT are horrible with coverage.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I've had Verizon for five or six years now, and I've been really happy with call quality, reliability, and the network.

I had t mobile and sprint at various times before I moved to the v, and I would never go back. Not for any reason.

Kind of pricey, but not having to worry about the signal is worth it to me.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

If you have any business lines AT&T will package your cell phone lines in one total bill. I saved over half on my cell phones bill buy combining the two.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I was smartphone shopping recently and easily - not even close - the best deal was the pre-paid Virgin Mobile. I didn't even look at them at first because I figured I had to go big 4 to get a solid phone, coverage, data. Nope. After taxes I'm paying $25 a month for service that costs around $70 on the next best network deal.

Coverage - Virgin is owned by Sprint so you are on Sprint's phone service and 3G. If Sprint is good in your area you're good to go.

Phones - Obviously if you want the newest releases, you have to go with the big carrier. But they have one very solid smartphone right now (Optimus V) and are adding a 4" Motorola in the next month that compares with the Evo. They tend to be about a year behind on phone tech. Small price to pay when you realize:

Price - This is where it gets amazing: paid $150 upfront for my phone, no contract, and then you can pay each month for a plan. $25 gets you unlimited texting, unlimited 3G data, 300 min talk. $40 gets you unlimited texting, unlimited data, 1200 min talk.

Again, TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS, and I have unlimited data. On the Sprint Network. Can leave at any time. Can adjust on a monthly basis if I need more calling.

Seriously, if Sprint is good in your area I encourage people to look into it. Here's an article hyping the deal well before they got some legitimately good Android phones:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10/...on-the-planet/

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-...talk-plans.jsp

If there is a "catch" it would be that there is no roaming (i'm in a city, never go below 3 bars) and that the minutes on your plan are all you get - there are no nights or weekend minutes for free.

Last edited by Kid A; 06-26-2011 at 07:42 AM..
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Sprint and Verizon are the only two you should be talking about.

Ive had them all and have good and bad with them all but at the end of the day these two had the most pros and least cons.

Pros:
Sprint - Best metro area signal, major freeway signal is usually spot on. By far best pricing plans, Customer service top notch. Best Phone: HTC Evo (which, IMO, is the best phone on the planet right now)

Verizon - Best overall coverage in the country, fastest 4G network. Big variety of high end, high quality smartphones. Best Phone: iPhone/HTC Incredible (depending on taste, iOS is great, but I prefer droids since I am integrated with Google stuff anyway).

Cons:
Sprint: Country signal needs work, roaming needs to pick up towers better. Small amount high-end high-quality phones.

Verizon: Crappy service plans. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

In the end, go with what works for you. If you are mostly in metro areas, Id go with Sprint. If you tend to be in far flung areas or go out to far flung areas a lot, Verizon might be a better option for you. None of them are perfect so really just do research and find out which one is going to suit you and your needs best and then tolerate the imperfections of your choice.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone know anything about that Wal-Mart service? I think it's based on T-Mobile but I presume it would be pretty cheap. I actually think I heard some really good deals, actually.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Sprint and Verizon are the only two you should be talking about.

Ive had them all and have good and bad with them all but at the end of the day these two had the most pros and least cons.

Pros:
Sprint - Best metro area signal, major freeway signal is usually spot on. By far best pricing plans, Customer service top notch. Best Phone: HTC Evo (which, IMO, is the best phone on the planet right now)

Verizon - Best overall coverage in the country, fastest 4G network. Big variety of high end, high quality smartphones. Best Phone: iPhone/HTC Incredible (depending on taste, iOS is great, but I prefer droids since I am integrated with Google stuff anyway).

Cons:
Sprint: Country signal needs work, roaming needs to pick up towers better. Small amount high-end high-quality phones.

Verizon: Crappy service plans. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

In the end, go with what works for you. If you are mostly in metro areas, Id go with Sprint. If you tend to be in far flung areas or go out to far flung areas a lot, Verizon might be a better option for you. None of them are perfect so really just do research and find out which one is going to suit you and your needs best and then tolerate the imperfections of your choice.

Nailed it.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Anyone know anything about that Wal-Mart service? I think it's based on T-Mobile but I presume it would be pretty cheap. I actually think I heard some really good deals, actually.

The company is called straighttalk, and it's actually Verizon based. THIS is ultimately the best deal out there, as you're using the biggest network for the cheapest price. $45 gets you unlimited EVERYTHING. Minutes, texts, data...all included. $30 can take care of everything you'd need as well, it's just not unlimited. http://www.straighttalk.com/ . It's prepaid, easy to use, and an incredible deal.

The only real cons, are a SEVERELY limited selection of phones (they might be getting better, but I haven't looked in a while), and the fact that if you're a day late buying the next month's plan, you lose your number, which could be a pain in the ass. The customer service is non-existant btw.

I used their service whilst taking a break from Sprint (there was a loophole to where I could back out of a contract with no fee, and come back to get the Evo on a new contract), and really had no problems. Plus, they'll port your number over to any major carrier you decide to go with at that time.

Overall: really cheap, really easy, best network.

If I ever leave sprint, I'll be going back with them.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
INbronco
Rookie

We don't use much cell phone so T-mobile prepay serves our needs. After purchase of 1000 min for $100 all refills include another year of service with rollover of old minutes. Still got 500 min on my last year so $10 gets me 30 minutes and another year of service; can always buy another 1000 min for $100 if needed. Does not include text or pictures. Our yearly cost is about $70.
INbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
The company is called straighttalk, and it's actually Verizon based. THIS is ultimately the best deal out there, as you're using the biggest network for the cheapest price. $45 gets you unlimited EVERYTHING. Minutes, texts, data...all included. $30 can take care of everything you'd need as well, it's just not unlimited. http://www.straighttalk.com/ . It's prepaid, easy to use, and an incredible deal.

The only real cons, are a SEVERELY limited selection of phones (they might be getting better, but I haven't looked in a while), and the fact that if you're a day late buying the next month's plan, you lose your number, which could be a pain in the ass. The customer service is non-existant btw.

I used their service whilst taking a break from Sprint (there was a loophole to where I could back out of a contract with no fee, and come back to get the Evo on a new contract), and really had no problems. Plus, they'll port your number over to any major carrier you decide to go with at that time.

Overall: really cheap, really easy, best network.

If I ever leave sprint, I'll be going back with them.
Wow, even better. Any idea if you can use a random unlocked phone or just stuck to their phones? Just gave it a glance and that seems to be the only thing stopping me... and I have a generally crappy phone, as is.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Wow, even better. Any idea if you can use a random unlocked phone or just stuck to their phones? Just gave it a glance and that seems to be the only thing stopping me... and I have a generally crappy phone, as is.
Pre-paids tend to make you stick to with the phones they offer and not bring over unlocked. If you want a better prepaid phone seriously look at Virgin or Boost. Both are on the Sprint network, both have some decent to good Android phones. Way better than what Cricket or Straight Talk have right now.

If you talk a lot Boost has an unlimited everything for $50 (and that price goes down 5 bucks for every 6 months you are with them) and Virgin has unlimited text, data, and 1200 minutes for $40. Or $25 if you rarely use the minutes and just need 300.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I have Verizon. It's expensive, but I get what I pay for.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I have Verizon. Got the 4G Thunderbolt by HTC a couple of months ago. Awesome phone, better than an iPhone in many ways. My wife and oldest daughter are also on my plan though they do not have data on their phones. My unlimited data plan is $30 which seems high. Then you have unlimited texting on my wife and daughters phone. 1400 minutes, which we rarely use bc every call seems to be to a caller on Verizon or one of my top 10 which is free as well. All in all, a little over $160 a month! Seems high to me, I should call and drop down to 700 minutes... But then you don't get your top 10 anymore.... So I would probably go over 700.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I have a HTC Incredible on Verizon and I like the phone and network alot. The cost is really high, however. Now that Verizon has ended one year contracts, I'll be looking elsewhere.

My wife does the virgin prepaid thing with their Android phone. She's very pleased with it.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Pre-paids tend to make you stick to with the phones they offer and not bring over unlocked. If you want a better prepaid phone seriously look at Virgin or Boost. Both are on the Sprint network, both have some decent to good Android phones. Way better than what Cricket or Straight Talk have right now.

If you talk a lot Boost has an unlimited everything for $50 (and that price goes down 5 bucks for every 6 months you are with them) and Virgin has unlimited text, data, and 1200 minutes for $40. Or $25 if you rarely use the minutes and just need 300.
I have Virgin, they have some descent phones, $25 for 300 minutes and unlimited text, data and email. Never had a dropped call, about as good a deal as you can get. And they use the Sprint network.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #22
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

My dad works for AT&T, So I like my Blackberry and unlimited everything for $15 a month.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #23
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
My dad works for AT&T, So I like my Blackberry and unlimited everything for $15 a month.
Well if you're willing to share your deal, I agree that this thread is moot.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #24
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

MetroPCS 45 a mouth

Samsung Galaxy Indulge 4G LTE enabled for fast downloads Android 2.3 Operating System 1 GHz application processor 3.5” HVGA touchscreen with Swype™ support . Got my phone for 200.00

Calling Features
Unlimited Local Calling

Unlimited Long Distance

MetroPCS Nationwide Coverage

Enjoy the benefits of extended home coverage with unlimited voice and text in over 11,000 cities and towns. Learn more here about MetroPCS Nationwide Coverage.
TravelTalk®

Make calls outside the MetroPCS service area. You can also send text messages for FREE when outside the MetroPCS service areas. Stay in touch whenever you're away from home. Learn more here about

MetroPCS TravelTalk.
International Long Distance

Forward calls that are made to your MetroPCS phone to another local number. Call forwarding is easy to set up and use, so you never miss another call.

Call Forwarding must be initiated within your home market.
Call forwarding can only be done to a local market number.
*72+10-digit number to forward all calls.
*74+10-digit number to conditionally forward calls (after ringing phone first, calls will then forward to specified number).
*73 to disable call forwarding.

Voice Mail Package

Receive up to 20 60-second voice mail messages plus Caller ID, Call Waiting and 3-way calling! Find out here which plans include the MetroPCS Voice Mail Package.

Voice Mail to Text

Would you like to read your voice mail instead of listening to it? Voice Mail to Text converts your voice mail messages into readable text delivered to your phone or email. Learn more here about MetroPCS Voice Mail to Text.

Already subscribed to "Voice Mail to Text"? Click here to sign in and manage your preferences.
Visual Voice Mail

List your messages so you can listen to them in the order you want with Visual Voice Mail from MetroPCS!

Upgrade your Rate Plan today to get Visual Voice Mail Plus – to list your voice mails AND convert them to text using Voice Mail to Text. You’ll never need silence to check your voice mails and you’ll love checking them in any order you prefer.
Screen-it®

Like Caller ID on steroids, Screen-it displays the caller’s name, even for numbers you don’t recognize and those not stored in your phone's personal contact list. Learn More about MetroPCS Screen-it.
GroupLINE®

We regret to inform you that MetroPCS no longer provides GroupLINE® services.
MetroConnect® Account

Each MetroPCS customer automatically receives a MetroConnect account upon activation of service. This special account allows you to use a variety of additional MetroPCS services whenever you want! YOU choose when to add money to your MetroConnect account, as well as how and when to use the money in your account.

Here are a few services available with MetroConnect:

TravelTalk®: Stay connected when you travel.
Metro411 Directory Assistance: MetroPCS offers three options for directory assistance so that you can get information you want when you need it.

To add money to your MetroConnect account simply dial *99 from your MetroPCS phone. For your convenience, you can also stop by one of our MetroPCS stores or Authorized Payment Centers to add additional money to your account.
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scttgrd View Post
I have Virgin, they have some descent phones, $25 for 300 minutes and unlimited text, data and email. Never had a dropped call, about as good a deal as you can get. And they use the Sprint network.
This is what I've been preaching since I joined. Unless you're some power user or uber-nerd who absolutely needs the latest and greatest (which will be outdated in, oh, 3 months anyway), I just can't find a way to justify paying almost $50 more a month. Calling, texting, email, maps, YouTube, Google, browsing - all just as good as any other phone, except I guess 4G. But, again, I can't begin to find a reason to pay over triple a month (plus a two year contract) to have my ESPN scores/Facebook updates go a few seconds faster?

Hell, my Optimus is supposed to be entry-level Android, but testing an unauthorized version of Netflix I can stream video smoothly (though I can't understand how anyone could enjoy watching very much video on their phone for any extended period of time).