The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default RIP Clarence Clemons

One of Rocks most iconic sax players dead at 69 after suffering a stroke a few days ago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...4552273.column

I for one loved his playing with the E-street band and I admit to buying his album with Jackson Brown and Jackson's, hot actress wife at the time, on it, what a mistake on my part.

RIP
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

The guy was brilliant at what he did. RIP, Clarence Clemons...

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

RIP Big Man...grew up listening to Bruce Spingsteen and the E Street Band with my dad.
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

This is a bummer.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
bombay
Ring of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4S7HQxV_Kc
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
DOWN IN FRONT!!!!
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

The last time a sax job in a band this big opened up was when the Dave Mathews band sax player died in an atv accident. That went to Jeff Coffin who us just an amazing player. I'm sure tons of the top jazz players will want to go tour with Bruce if he goes out. Or maybe they just hire from an audition who knows. Its a bummer though because truthfully how many sax players can you guys even name? Not many so its not good to lose the famous ones. If you dont listen to jazz then probably you don't know to many outside of the super famous ones.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

in a weird way, the "Big Man" is on the radio everywhere these days...

that's him playing the sax solo on Lady GaGa's latest (refrain from meat dress jokes).."Edge of Glory"...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

RIP

When the change was made uptown
And the Big Man joined the band
From the coastline to the city
All the little pretties raise their hands
I'm gonna sit back right easy and laugh
When Scooter and the Big Man bust this city in half
With the Tenth Avenue freeze-out
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Phish just play Thunder Road in Portsmouth in honor of.....

Great show!
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
The Moops
Old School Dude

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Clemons' signature song ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5buOHjOGiI
The Moops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Clemons sure didn't have the greatest tone on his sax but he sure carved a niche for himself as a player. Actually he was super average as a player but his persona was bigger then life.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The last time a sax job in a band this big opened up was when the Dave Mathews band sax player died in an atv accident. That went to Jeff Coffin who us just an amazing player. I'm sure tons of the top jazz players will want to go tour with Bruce if he goes out. Or maybe they just hire from an audition who knows. Its a bummer though because truthfully how many sax players can you guys even name? Not many so its not good to lose the famous ones. If you dont listen to jazz then probably you don't know to many outside of the super famous ones.
Your right, I can't even remember the name of the dude who tours with Billy Joel. The one time I lucked into a backstage pass was when Joel was touring with Elton John, I didn't get to meet either, you had to have another pass to get near their dressing rooms but Joel's sax player was acting as if he were the 3rd star on the bill meanwhile we had a nice but short conversation with Elton's Guitarist Davey Johnstone who was walking around alone looking rather bored and certainly not full of himself.

I don't know of many labels that are willing to sign/carry that # of band members these days. Plus it seems the trend is that if they carry an extra player for coloration they are leaning toward country and bringing a fiddle/violin player.

Out side of big bluegrass bands or wedding bands the trend these days are away from the large sax spiced groups. After the grunge period in the early 90's I am happy to enjoy a solo of any kind.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Your right, I can't even remember the name of the dude who tours with Billy Joel. The one time I lucked into a backstage pass was when Joel was touring with Elton John, I didn't get to meet either, you had to have another pass to get near their dressing rooms but Joel's sax player was acting as if he were the 3rd star on the bill meanwhile we had a nice but short conversation with Elton's Guitarist Davey Johnstone who was walking around alone looking rather bored and certainly not full of himself.

I don't know of many labels that are willing to sign/carry that # of band members these days. Plus it seems the trend is that if they carry an extra player for coloration they are leaning toward country and bringing a fiddle/violin player.

Out side of big bluegrass bands or wedding bands the trend these days are away from the large sax spiced groups. After the grunge period in the early 90's I am happy to enjoy a solo of any kind.
Sax has, and always will be a jazz instrument that crosses over into pop music. Then of course certain types of disco, funk, soul, blues, and rock bands will use a horn section. Usually though they are brought out for tours and recording and aren't really regular members of the band. There is a lot of pop music you will see with no horns on the CD, but still horns at the shows because it adds flash and punch. One of my mentors, Doug Webb, a local god of sax here in LA plays with Lionel Ritchie, celine dieon, stanley clark and on and on. So a lot of times a handful of session studs get all the good work when it comes to the sax. Then you have groups like the Roots band who will break out the horns often. Also all the big acid jazz groups like The Brand New Heavies and Liquid Soul are made for horns. It's just that most people are into hard rock, or pop music, and that stuff doesn't lend itself to big horn sections. More just the every once in awhile you have a song that could use something, like a sax solo. There was a joke back in the 80's that producers would be like I need sax, when a mix wasn't going well. Really it was just the songs stunk and not even sax could save them. When a pop or rock song is perfect, then you would never add a sax solo, that could ruin it. So sax players joked you only got to play on the ****ty cheesy stuff.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

INXS liked the sax.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
INXS liked the sax.
Yeah but i think one of the other members doubled on it. Men At Work, Oingo Boingo, Adam Ant, etc. There is always someone out there using horns. Even the hip hop guys break them out live.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Yeah but i think one of the other members doubled on it. Men At Work, Oingo Boingo, Adam Ant, etc. There is always someone out there using horns. Even the hip hop guys break them out live.
Kirk Pengilly also did guitar for the band as well. Used to sing until they had Hutchence. (Talented guy).
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Never much liked him when he went to the Yankees but he threw one hell of a fastball. Steroids screws you up and maybe this led to it.
Attached Images

broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
... There is always someone out there using horns. Even the hip hop guys break them out live.
One of my favorite songs of the last decade is the Raconteurs "The Switch and the Spur" just because of the kick ass trumpet solo, plus the lyrics actually tell a story. Fun song but I might not have given it so many listens without the trumpet solo.

I gave Cake more of a chance since they had the balls to employ a trumpeter.

The Band were always good for some horn augmentation.