The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Default Red Rocks Questions

So I'm from Wisconsin and will be making the trip down to Denver for the August 4th My Morning Jacket show. I'm pretty convinced that General Admission is the best way to go, since the lady on the phone told me that GA occupies rows 1-24 (as well as 61 through 69), and is a bit cheaper than rows 25 through 60. However, I have the following concerns before i purchase the tickets that I am hoping some of you who have been there before could possibly address.

1. Since general admission at red rocks is first come first serve seating, how early am I going to have to get to the venue to get a good seat in those first 20 rows?

2. Do I even want to be in those first 20 rows? Is the sound/visual setup better experienced further back? The closest row in the other price scale is in the 40s.

3. How often do shows sell out? Is this one likely to be a sellout by comparison to other big names?

4. What is security like?

5. Is there onsite camping, if so, is it worth it? (I could probably check the website for this one, but while i am at it...)

6. Is this one of those venues where there is really "not a bad seat in the house." Or is row 60 pretty blah?

Thanks for any and all input, and if there are any other Jacket fans going i'd totally be down to grab a beer before hand and talk broncos and OM shenanigans..
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Boomhauer

This is around row 60 with the seated guy in white shirt at row 25

-- Rows 1-15 are pretty terrible. You can see the singer's sweat, but are packed in like rowdy sardines with basement acoustics. There's a bit more room a few rows back, but you don't get the acoustics or can see the grandeur of the amphitheater and Denver/metro skyline that close. I wouldn't want to sit closer than maybe 30-to-25 and, even then, only if it was my favorite group and wanted to see them up close.
-- Sitting nose bleed (60's) is pretty far back to see the stage and the sound gets a bit muffled off the rocks and audience. You can migrate down maybe a dozen rows from here, to those vacated by migrating 50s, before room runs out so they're not bad. It's very easy to move towards the middle and even down at Red Rocks because it's all open bench seating. Expansive views with elbow room that high and are only a few feet from the concourse. Best place to snap a 'I was there' pic is standing in the 60s seats with the photographer one row higher, seated. You should be able to get a pic in during the show, even if you're not seated there.

For my money, I'd go with the 40s-&-50s seats and migrate in or down a few rows as the show starts. Best seats are a bit closer, but even staying put, you have great seats in every way; Acoustics are the best, still a good view of the stage and the stadium/Denver/metro scape for the whole experience. Bit of a stairclimb to the concourse for air/etc, but it's worth it rather fight through the crowd for vendors/portos near the stage.

Red rocks doesn't have camp sites that I know of. Closest is probably Chatfield Reservoir down C-470. How often they sell out and the security depends on who's playing. Shown up after the opening band started before and walked right in. Also showed up 3hrs early and had the metal detector/pat-down/rummage through pockets before. Once inside, if you're discrete with drinking/smoking, no one cares.

Last edited by Boomhauer; 06-18-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I believe you can camp at Bear Creek Lake... but I think they are non-reserved sites meaning first come first serve. There is some stuff really close to Morrison as well IIRC.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
This is around row 60 with the seated guy in white shirt at row 25

For my money, I'd go with the 40s-&-50s seats and migrate in or down a few rows as the show starts. Best seats are a bit closer, but even staying put, you have great seats in every way; Acoustics are the best, still a good view of the stage and the stadium/Denver/metro scape for the whole experience. Bit of a stairclimb to the concourse for air/etc, but it's worth it rather fight through the crowd for vendors/portos near the stage.
Really good advice! Thank you!

Right now the closest they have besides GA is in the 40s and i feel good about going with them now.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

My Morning Jacket= best live band going these days.

I am jealous man, great band, incredible venue...have a kick ass time...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHead View Post
My Morning Jacket= best live band going these days.

I am jealous man, great band, incredible venue...have a kick ass time...
As a big fan of theirs, i'm biased. However, i really do believe this.

Thanks! Tickets aren't that bad, you know..