The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default Bowlen Rumor

I was watching the NFLN Total Access and they had a reporter from LA and Ice Cube on and this reported said that there's a rumor that Stan Kronke and Bowlen will trade ownership and that Bowlen will take the Rams when the Rams move back to LA.

Anyone here about this?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Now, why would he do that? If he wanted to move to L.A., he could just sell his interest in the team and go...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Haven't heard of that.

I'm not sure Bowlen has the right to "swap" teams. Kaiser would probably run into Court characterizing it as a "sale" and would assert his rights. Now, obviously, he couldn't match such an offer since he doesnt own another team to swap with, but anything involving the transfer of any ownership rights is going to get complicated (and bogged down) by Kaiser.

Personally, I'd love to see someone other than Bowlen owning this team, just not Kaiser, so if Bowlen does want to move on to other ventures (yes!) hes' going to have to offer Kaiser some kind of financial package in order to get him to waive his rights and not bog things down in Court.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Haven't heard of that.

I'm not sure Bowlen has the right to "swap" teams. Kaiser would probably run into Court characterizing it as a "sale" and would assert his rights. Now, obviously, he couldn't match such an offer since he doesnt own another team to swap with, but anything involving the transfer of any ownership rights is going to get complicated (and bogged down) by Kaiser.

Personally, I'd love to see someone other than Bowlen owning this team, just not Kaiser, so if Bowlen does want to move on to other ventures (yes!) hes' going to have to offer Kaiser some kind of financial package in order to get him to waive his rights and not bog things down in Court.
Not 100% sure how I'd like Stan as our owner either.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Well if Ice Cube said it, it must be true.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Well if Ice Cube said it, it must be true.
no doubt
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Bronco Yoda

I don't like this Rumor. Not one bit.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
schaaf

rumor is... im getting it when he dies
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

I saw the peice it was the writer from the LA Times that said this. He just sort of blurted it out with no real context or support behind it. Nothing more was mentioned. It was pretty random overall, didn't seem to have any credability other than a passing thought.

Last edited by KipCorrington25; 06-18-2011 at 12:35 AM..
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

The LA times is a sh it factory, No one I know reads it any longer.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I would love it, although I don't want to lose Pat. Kroenke spends money. He hasn't done it with the Avs this year, but he signs most everyone he's asked ti sign with the Nuggets. And I believe he would definitely spend whatever the Broncos needed.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Trade happy?

I don't know, Kroenke might be better than Bowlen at this point, I mean, he brought the Nuggets into relevance and up until recently was doing a great job with the Avalanche.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 AM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I'm all for Elway being the GM for 5 years or so, learning the management side. Then it's time for him to own the team and he'll know what to look for in a GM since he was one. I eventually would like to see Elway as the majority owner.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #14
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

First of all, Kroenke AND Bowlen are on the NFL's Los Angeles Stadium group.

Bowlen's been in the group for years and we all know the subtle threats Bowlen made about moving the team when the Stadium deal was being negotiated. So I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen was still interested in Los Angeles.

That being said, as Socal mentioned before, I would assume there would be a LOT of legal hoops to jump through for a "swap" of NFL teams.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I would love it, although I don't want to lose Pat. Kroenke spends money. He hasn't done it with the Avs this year, but he signs most everyone he's asked ti sign with the Nuggets. And I believe he would definitely spend whatever the Broncos needed.
Besides Kroenke being willing to spend money to win, I'd also look at this as a long-term secession planning type of thing. I know we've had the threads about Bowlen's health, and it's all speculation, but, if he isn't in a position to adequately run the business, and if his kids aren't interested in taking it, then I'd be very glad Kroenke would be getting it rather than some faceless ownership group or corporation.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #16
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I'm confused where this idea comes from that Pat is not willing to spend money on this team. We've just been spending it on the wrong guys for the past 10 years because we have no GM... that's what Pat should be blamed for, not for being cheap.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I remember reading that there is an NFL league rule in place that states no NFL owner can have a majority interest in any other sports franchise in the same city.

So Stan can't own the Broncos.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #19
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Would Bowlen really want McD back that badly?
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
I remember reading that there is an NFL league rule in place that states no NFL owner can have a majority interest in any other sports franchise in the same city.

So Stan can't own the Broncos.
The other way around. He had to give up control of the nugs to buy the Rams.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #21
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Haven't heard of that.

Is it even known that Kaiser can afford to buy back interest in the Broncos? I mean, its one thing to have a right to but its another thing to have the means to do it, no? At that point, if Kaiser has to raise the funds by finding other investors, does he still qualify or does it have to he Kaiser and only Kaiser per se? Also, I would assume that the buying price would be FMV and not some agreed upon price from 1983/84. Hopefully its not some dated agreed upon price from 83/84 that's ridiculously low since that would involve mutual ascent.

Personally, I think its time for a change, whether its Elway in a couple of years or Kroenke. I say that reluctantly because there could be someone worse than Bowlen (yes, even now). Im just tired of Joe Ellis in the background making decisions and telling Bowlen to sign stuff as well as trying to look past Bowlens obvious shortcomings. This franchise has become too much about Bowlen now, which is somewhat ironic because Bowlen's often lauded for staying out of the way.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 06-18-2011 at 08:55 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #22
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I know this...something will happen over the next 5-10 years regarding the Broncos ownership. That's for sure. Bowlen is no spring chicken.

I'm certainly not one to kick him to the curb...He's kept this team competetive for almost 20yrs. I hope he stays put...but, he likes the open air and sun. There could be something to this rumor.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I know this...something will happen over the next 5-10 years regarding the Broncos ownership. That's for sure. Bowlen is no spring chicken.

I'm certainly not one to kick him to the curb...He's kept this team competetive for almost 20yrs. I hope he stays put...but, he likes the open air and sun. There could be something to this rumor.
I find this comment interesting. One of the things he's praised for is staying out of the way, which implies he lets people do their jobs. This would also imply that if the franchise was run successfully, there were competent people in place doing their jobs. Basically, what Im getting at is, the bulk of those 20 years were with Shanahan and Reeves as head coach. Bowlen inherited Reeves. You could do a lot worse than Reeves. And it's actually hard to do better than Shanahan during that time. So was it really something Bowlen was doing or was it Bowlen staying out of the way of Reeves and Shanahan? Most comments involving praise are for Bowlen staying out of the way.

Its just the nice things people say about Bowlen are often more attributable to the coaches he had during his time owning the Broncos. But since Bowlen is still in Denver with the Broncos and those other coaches are not, the praise conveniently gets shifted to Bowlen.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #24
Bronco Yoda

At this point, i don't want to see any change in ownership. Give Elway at least a couple more years to get a good footing.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #25
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Kronke is a lot more wealthy I'll give him that.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote