The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Bronco Yoda

Default Cool or Creepy?

Oh, Facebook, here we go again.

The social media giant is facing a new wave of concerns over privacy protection after launching its latest feature, which allows users to identify their friends automatically in photos without their permission.

The photo tagging tool, called Tag Suggestions, was put into place in December, but it was listed as unavailable until recently.

Here's how it works: When a user uploads new photos to his or her Facebook profile, the new feature then scans them with facial recognition software to match the people in the photos with other photos in which they might have been previously tagged.

The feature also offers "group tagging," which allows users to type in a person's name and "apply it to multiple photos of the same person," according to Facebook's blog post on the subject.

The problem is that users can do this without their friend's permission.

Facebook said on its blog Tuesday that it has been rolling out the Tag Suggestions feature over the course of several months. While it was originally just available in the United States, they also said it is now activated in several countries, which has already caused some headaches.

more... http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/fac...ry?id=13792666
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

None of my pictures are viewable on Facebook.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Definitely creepy. Most facebook users are perfectly capable of tagging their own photos if they want them tagged. I'm annoyed at the mere idea that facebook might start unilaterally (without the permission of users) applying tags for you. How offensive... it's like saying "we think you're too inept to tag your own friends".
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

Get a frigging life folks!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

Ratboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I am wearing a mask like that dude on Bachlorette did for the first few shows.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Definitely creepy. Most facebook users are perfectly capable of tagging their own photos if they want them tagged. I'm annoyed at the mere idea that facebook might start unilaterally (without the permission of users) applying tags for you. How offensive... it's like saying "we think you're too inept to tag your own friends".
According to Nightline last night they've been tagging and compiling quietly for months now Blue. That's what started the lawsuit and then the Nightline story.

I'm not sure what's the difference between you tagging and them tagging. I'm not on facebook and have visited it only a few times so I'm not sure how everything works.

If I recall correctly, the software is from (face.com) . I know the the same technology is already being used in a couple photo storage software programs you can run on your computer that sound pretty cool. You can search your entire database by face. Pretty useful if you have tons of pictures. But I'm not sure I'd want the same personal database on the Internet for all time!

They also mentioned that this software was used the last Super Bowl where they had cameras at the entrances. They caught 26 criminals just by the computer scanning the crowds walking into the game using biometeric markers and comparing to police databases. All automated.

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 06-11-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I am wearing a mask like that dude on Bachlorette did for the first few shows.
You watch the Bachelorette?

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Wife watches it and therefore I know about the mask dude and the dude from Utah that was sabatoging the show. I liked that guy's work.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Wife watches it and therefore I know about the mask dude and the dude from Utah that was sabatoging the show. I liked that guy's work.
Turn in your man card dude.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
According to Nightline last night they've been tagging and compiling quietly for months now Blue. That's what started the lawsuit and then the Nightline story.

I'm not sure what's the difference between you tagging and them tagging. I'm not on facebook and have visited it only a few times so I'm not sure how everything works.

If I recall correctly, the software is from (face.com) . I know the the same technology is already being used in a couple photo storage software programs you can run on your computer that sound pretty cool. You can search your entire database by face. Pretty useful if you have tons of pictures. But I'm not sure I'd want the same personal database on the Internet for all time!

They also mentioned that this software was used the last Super Bowl where they had cameras at the entrances. They caught 26 criminals just by the computer scanning the crowds walking into the game using biometeric markers and comparing to police databases. All automated.
Scary stuff, Yoda... and precisely why I am not exactly "forthcoming" with providing personal information to facebook. Any pics of me on there are generally tagged ones from other users. It's convenient having an easily-accessed place to share pictures and stuff with family and friends, but once that content is posted there, it becomes public; not private.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Turn in your man card dude.
As soon as you turn your man card in for liking the Bruins of UCLA
Old 06-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
Boomhauer

Quote:
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!
This. What's the point of Facebook, Twitter, Myspace or any other of that social media crap except to relinquish privacy?
If concerned about your privacy being invaded, then communicate by phone or e-mail with specific individuals. Then only our Gov can 'legally' violate your privacy - despite the 4th Amendment that everyone in office to an oath to protect and defend.

Last edited by Boomhauer; 06-11-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

Delicious irony
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #15
Bronco Yoda

Only a Few Years Left Until the Social Web Kills Off Websites?
By Graeme McMillan on June 10, 2011

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/...#ixzz1P2DCqjX5'

I hope you're all taking full advantage of your favorite websites today because, despite what common opinion says, they won't be around forever.

According to Jim Boulton, curator of the Digital Archaeology exhibition currently running in New York that charts the history of web design and internet evolution, we only have a short amount of time left in the website era as we know it.

Boulton told ReadWriteWeb:

"In a few years' time, there won't be such a thing as a website. With the rise of the social Web, now online experiences are built around the individual rather than the organization."

I'm not entirely sure that that means that websites will disappear entirely, though. Yes, RSS feeds and various forms of collecting and formatting them mean that you don't have to go to specific websites anymore, but without websites, how will people be able to discover new feeds and content in the first place? Surely there will always have to be a destination in addition to aggregators, even if those destinations become less visited?

Of course, I write for websites for a living, so I may be a potentially biased observer.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/...#ixzz1P2DLpSzO
Old 06-12-2011, 03:35 AM   #16
Boomhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/...#ixzz1P2DCqjX5'
... According to Jim Boulton, curator of the Digital Archaeology exhibition currently running in New York that charts the history of web design and internet evolution, we only have a short amount of time left in the website era as we know it.
Boulton told ReadWriteWeb: "In a few years' time, there won't be such a thing as a website. With the rise of the social Web, now online experiences are built around the individual rather than the organization." ...

http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/...#ixzz1P2DLpSzO
Complete BS - Social media is an addition too, not a replacement for the internet. Those comments are like saying, "Tube tops are popular now, so soon it will be the only clothing article people wear."
Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #17
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post

Delicious irony
Aw, how quaint.

I think it's hilarious that people who put their personal info out for all to see get all bent out of shape when someone uses or abuses that info.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #18
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Aw, how quaint.

I think it's hilarious that people who put their personal info out for all to see get all bent out of shape when someone uses or abuses that info.
I just don't see how someone averaging 6 posts a day on a forum could complain about Facebook users needing a life. It's very hypocritical.

That's like posting 1 status, writing on the walls of 3 people and commenting on 2 pictures. DAILY
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
I just don't see how someone averaging 6 posts a day on a forum could complain about Facebook users needing a life. It's very hypocritical.

That's like posting 1 status, writing on the walls of 3 people and commenting on 2 pictures. DAILY
Yea, but posting here is cool and manly, not socially inept like using a site that hundreds of millions of people probably use. Geez, can't you see the difference? I guess you're just not the same kind of badass, rugged individualist as that guy.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Sadly I know far more then I should about America's Top Model for this same reason. As far as I can tell b****es be crazy seams to be the point of the show.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #21
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

I do not facebook.

I won't even dignify it with a capital "F."

I'd rather Facetime with my friends -- via my Mac.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
So you watch a lot of shows with masked dudes who's "work" you like?

broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #23
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:

You didn't do too well with reading comprehension, did ya?

"people who put their personal info out for all to see get all bent out of shape when someone uses or abuses that info"

Akin to me getting upset if my teenage daughter borrows my CC and I don't set a limit, and then get upset if she spends a bunch of money at the mall.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
None of my pictures are viewable on Facebook.
Sure they are. Doesn't matter what settings you put on your own personal photo libraries. If you have any "facebook friends" at all and appear in their unblocked pics, whether they tag you or not, you're out there. Or people that aren't even your "facebook friends", same thing.

It's really not that hard to get access to "blocked" photo albums BTW.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't see what the big deal is.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote