The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default NFL lockout: In owners’ enterprise, nothing’s free

NFL lockout: In owners’ enterprise, nothing’s free

By Sally Jenkins, Published: May 16
Should you find yourself drifting to the side of the players in the NFL labor dispute, it doesn’t mean you’ve gone all communist. Some fans may feel that to support the players is anti-capitalist, a little too May Day. But there is the spirit of free enterprise, and then there is the spirit with which NFL owners tend to do business. They aren’t at all the same thing.

What’s so American about gouging, price-fixing, and frankly, sucking the life out of fans?

There is a pattern forming. In the past week — before Monday’s appeals court ruling extending the lockout — we’ve seen a new stadium proposal for the Minnesota Vikings that amounts to a bilking of taxpayers. A judge is preparing to punish owners for cheating the players in negotiated TV deals. And waiters are suing a company co-founded by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones for withholding tips from $35-a-day concession workers. If you had any lingering thoughts that the owners have been misunderstood or that the lockout isn’t their fault, recent events may have cured you of any sympathy with them.

Back in 2009, Jones and New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, with backing from Goldman Sachs, formed a company called Legends Hospitality to run the food, drink and merchandise services in their new billion-dollar stadiums.

A class action suit by club-level waiters at Yankee Stadium now claims that Legends Hospitality tacked an involuntary 20 percent “service charge” onto the already steep $10 beers and $8 hot dogs. A printed notice on menus said, “Additional gratuity is at your discretion.” But the people who actually served the food and drink never received any portion of that “service charge,” according to their lawyer; Legends Hospitality did.

This is how owners do business?

READ THE REST HERE;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...D5G_story.html

Last edited by baja; 05-27-2011 at 01:45 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Just because I agree with the owners on the lockout factor doesn't mean I agree with them on everything. The difference is that I can personally affect how much of my money the NFL gets so I don't hate the owners for that. If people are foolish enough to pay the asking price, so be it.

As for the Minny thing mentioned in the article, if they were sincere about telling the Vikings to hit the road then it wouldn't be an issue. They just need to keep in mind that other cities want a team so if they don't want to pay for it, they aren't going to be able to compete. Can't have the cake and eat it too.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
vanbrugh
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

An independent body appointed and selected by both sides and an agreed time frame enforced by US laws what's the problem?

Forced mediation! If all else fails take em out the back and shoot em!!

It's not going to happen this year is it?

Last edited by vanbrugh; 05-27-2011 at 05:10 PM..
vanbrugh is offline   Reply With Quote