The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #51
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 10,570

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
jesus tap dancing christ!! no ones posted it and im not going to take the time to, but look it up on youtube. fat albert laying down on MNF?
the man has his $$. he is lazy and beyond re-habbing.
I went to the Broncos Skins game in DC a couple of years ago and the first time Albert laid on the ground the skins fans around me started to get worried and I told them Albert doesn't need a doctor, he needed his oxygen mask and some bacon and he'd be all better.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #52
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
I went to the Broncos Skins game in DC a couple of years ago and the first time Albert laid on the ground the skins fans around me started to get worried and I told them Albert doesn't need a doctor, he needed his oxygen mask and some bacon and he'd be all better.
that mnf game i didnt even see who it was at first, but as it happened i asked my kids who were watching with me (who) what the hell? before the play was even over i rewinded (dvr) and lo and behold-fat albert.
unlike trevor pryce who excelled on mnf as a bronco. regular season, not so much. fat albert didnt even care if the whole country was watching
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #53
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,563
Default

I would, it means we would be moving forward as a team with Tim Tebow (unless he totally sucks next year, then we'll go get Andrew Luck).
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #54
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,596

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

I can't see the benefit in bringing in Albert. A young team, coming off a terrible season and at least a year or two away from the playoffs does not need some malcontent cancer in the locker room. Maybe if we had strong core veteran defensive leadership like New England or Pittsburgh combined with a playoff caliber team you bring him in, but we don't.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #55
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
I can't see the benefit in bringing in Albert. A young team, coming off a terrible season and at least a year or two away from the playoffs does not need some malcontent cancer in the locker room. Maybe if we had strong core veteran defensive leadership like New England or Pittsburgh combined with a playoff caliber team you bring him in, but we don't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzp3...yer_detailpage
Fine! lets sign that!
might as well look up dale carter and "IHOP"
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #56
TomServo
Ring of Famer
 
TomServo's Avatar
 
Dancing is Forbidden!

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,126
Default

Elway himsefl could Not have survived all those genuis picks and football Knowledge"
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:14 AM   #57
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?
 
orange skier's Avatar
 
Protect "The Neck"

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Above Tree Line
Posts: 215

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs
Default

I think the Broncos could be looking at this thing from the perspective that they want Orton to be the starter for 1 more year. Elway has said that he didn't think Tebow was quite there yet and not sure they want to start the season with Tebow as the starter. I don't think we lose any value for Orton by keeping him 1 more year and certainly being able to include him draft trades next year will be an option. I think the coaching staff would like a full year to work with Tebow to see if he can turn that corner (in their eyes) before letting Orton go. Orton can play, we've seen that. Maybe the Broncos feel with a better defense, Orton is enough right now as the team rebuilds around new managements philosophy





Watching Orton be the consumate ballerina that he is in the pocket, for another year, isn't going to help anyone, especially us. He's had his best year, working in McDistaster's offense.....it's Tebow time.......Orton means mediocrity yet again..........
orange skier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #58
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,592
Default

no
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #59
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 8,219

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ
Default

So we draft a bunch of high motor, high character guys and we go and trade for a dirt bag, lay down on the field lazy DT?

One too many burgers, Bill.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #60
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,411
Default

No thanks. Shanny will have to release Haynesworth, no one is going to give anything of value for him. We should be able to get at least a 2012 3rd for Orton, maybe a 2nd. Go after Mebane and Cullen Jenkins in FA. Should be able to land one of those guys (assuming there's a CBA; if it's the 2010 rules I think Mebane would only be a RFA).

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 05-01-2011 at 08:25 AM..
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #61
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 15,105
Default

gag me with a spoon
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #62
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

I'd bet our most likely DT target will be Amobi Okoye. He's been in the NFL 4 years now but is only 23 and he doesn't belong in Houston's 3-4 front. Kubes and Elway will get together and make the deal for a mid-round pick in 2012.

I get the feeling Orton is going to be back in 2011, almost specifically to give Tebow someone to beat out for the job. Orton has the vets on his side, having been their QB the last two years. But Tebow is just a far better talent and he's going to outwork Orton all this off-season. The end result is whenever we do start camp Tebow will be ready to roll and Orton will be shaking off the rust. Tebow will quickly seize the starting job and once he does he's not going to give it back. Orton rides the pine for 2011 and walks as a free agent to be someone's backup in 2012.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #63
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd bet our most likely DT target will be Amobi Okoye. He's been in the NFL 4 years now but is only 23 and he doesn't belong in Houston's 3-4 front. Kubes and Elway will get together and make the deal for a mid-round pick in 2012.

I get the feeling Orton is going to be back in 2011, almost specifically to give Tebow someone to beat out for the job. Orton has the vets on his side, having been their QB the last two years. But Tebow is just a far better talent and he's going to outwork Orton all this off-season. The end result is whenever we do start camp Tebow will be ready to roll and Orton will be shaking off the rust. Tebow will quickly seize the starting job and once he does he's not going to give it back. Orton rides the pine for 2011 and walks as a free agent to be someone's backup in 2012.
We are already missing two picks from our 2012 lot thanks to the Hillis trade. We can't afford to move another I don't think.

I think John moves Orton now while we can get some value for him (at least a 3rd, maybe a 2nd) and we can avoid a QB controversy.
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #64
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
We are already missing two picks from our 2012 lot thanks to the Hillis trade. We can't afford to move another I don't think.

I think John moves Orton now while we can get some value for him (at least a 3rd, maybe a 2nd) and we can avoid a QB controversy.
We only traded one 2012 conditional pick in the Quinn/Hillis swap.

And who is going to give a 2nd or 3rd for Orton right now? The Vikings have openly stated their intent to give Ponder a trial by fire. A well substantiated rumor from multiple sources points to the Cardinals signing Bulger as soon as FA opens. San Francisco, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cincinnati, and Carolina all drafted new QBs as well by pick 36.

Who's left? Washington? They'll play Grossman before they'd play Orton. And that isn't even considering the fact that we'll be shopping Orton in a market that will already have Kevin Kolb and Carson Palmer available for trade with Matt Hasselback as a free agent.

The opportunity to trade Orton has passed us by due to the CBA interruption. Maybe San Fran or Cincy would have taken him as a low cost alternative in exchange for a 3rd, letting them better spend their 2nd round pick. Now we're at best looking for a 4th or 5th round pick by sending him to someone who wants a proven vet backup.

And if we could get Okoye for a 3rd or 4th round pick I'd be surprised if we didn't jump. He's only 23 and is a good fit in a one gap scheme like we'll be running. Its entirely possible with the rapid change to the 3-4 across the league though that we'll be able to get him even cheaper than that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we swap some of our now homeless 3-4 personnel for him. Haggan and Mays are two obvious choices who won't fit our 4-3 but would be valuable role players out of the gate for Houston's now small and understaffed LBs.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #65
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,784
Default

his contract alone makes me say hell no. i can only imagine what Bowlen,Elway & Xanders will say when they look at the $$$. then you have to factor in the attitude and lack of effort at times.
he should be the best defensive player on the field in almost every game but he takes plays off too much.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #66
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,784
Default

if we can trade for Okoye and land a guy like Alan Branch in FA(i know, i know, highly unlikely) that could do wonders to shore up the D.
they wouldn't be the greatest DT duo in the league but it'd be better than the play we had last season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'd bet our most likely DT target will be Amobi Okoye. He's been in the NFL 4 years now but is only 23 and he doesn't belong in Houston's 3-4 front. Kubes and Elway will get together and make the deal for a mid-round pick in 2012.

I get the feeling Orton is going to be back in 2011, almost specifically to give Tebow someone to beat out for the job. Orton has the vets on his side, having been their QB the last two years. But Tebow is just a far better talent and he's going to outwork Orton all this off-season. The end result is whenever we do start camp Tebow will be ready to roll and Orton will be shaking off the rust. Tebow will quickly seize the starting job and once he does he's not going to give it back. Orton rides the pine for 2011 and walks as a free agent to be someone's backup in 2012.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #67
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,898
Default

Haynesworth just got indited for sexual assault. He isn't going anywhere.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #68
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Who knows. He may want to play for Denver, and therefore be a happier person...
Heck, just getting rid of Orton is a plus...
You're the most transparent mother****er on here.....we get it, you're still queer for Jay's gear. But he's engaged now dude...you're gonna have to move on.

So you're more secure with Quinn backing up Tebow? Orton for all his faults has been a pretty good player for us who has shown he can play at a high level.

Sure he can't make **** happen like Tebow might be able to....so are you saying Quinn can? Orton probably won't accept a back-up role, but I'd rather have him than Quinn who hasn't played well anywhere or anytime to date.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #69
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
I was thinking about this earlier and there is no way in hell Mike Shanahan would want Kyle Orton to be his starting QB.
Why wouldn't he? Afterall when Lovie opened up the competition for QB position in Chicago, Orton beat out the guy Mike is annointing as his starter (Grossman)

When Rex Grossman is your starting QB, then you don't really have a starting QB......
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #70
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
if we can trade for Okoye and land a guy like Alan Branch in FA(i know, i know, highly unlikely) that could do wonders to shore up the D.
they wouldn't be the greatest DT duo in the league but it'd be better than the play we had last season.
Peaks into what Fox has in mind (via some grease board sketches from when he first started) indicates we'll play with LDT/RDT and not the UT/NT scheme from the Tampa 2 formation. A guy like Alan Branch wouldn't work out well as anything but a NT type. We'd want guys who can penetrate and get after the QB.

Okoye and Mebane in FA would be the ideal. If not that then Cullen Jenkins would be a great get. Failing that Fox's developmental project Nick Hayden might be available cheap and would be a solid rotational guy while we see what Vickerson and Thomas or McBean (if we keep either of those last two) have going for them.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #71
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
there is multiple teams who could possibly contend with orton at QB. minnesota, AZ, SF....hes the most realistic option for a lot of these teams because they dont want to give a 1 for kolb.


I agree with this....alot of clowns on here act like Mike will just automatically trade with the Broncos who fired him. It's not like his relationship with Kubiak....

There are many teams out there that need a QB and don't have one as good as Orton. Cards, Vikings...Bills, San Fran,.....hell even the Dolphins could use a guy like Kyle.

I hope that if they decide to go with Tebow that they trade Orton, mainly because he's stated he's not comfortable with being the back-up, and we don't need a QB controversy
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #72
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???
 
cmhargrove's Avatar
 
Travis Henry's love child...

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,768

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
We only traded one 2012 conditional pick in the Quinn/Hillis swap.

And who is going to give a 2nd or 3rd for Orton right now? The Vikings have openly stated their intent to give Ponder a trial by fire. A well substantiated rumor from multiple sources points to the Cardinals signing Bulger as soon as FA opens. San Francisco, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cincinnati, and Carolina all drafted new QBs as well by pick 36.

Who's left? Washington? They'll play Grossman before they'd play Orton. And that isn't even considering the fact that we'll be shopping Orton in a market that will already have Kevin Kolb and Carson Palmer available for trade with Matt Hasselback as a free agent.

The opportunity to trade Orton has passed us by due to the CBA interruption. Maybe San Fran or Cincy would have taken him as a low cost alternative in exchange for a 3rd, letting them better spend their 2nd round pick. Now we're at best looking for a 4th or 5th round pick by sending him to someone who wants a proven vet backup.

And if we could get Okoye for a 3rd or 4th round pick I'd be surprised if we didn't jump. He's only 23 and is a good fit in a one gap scheme like we'll be running. Its entirely possible with the rapid change to the 3-4 across the league though that we'll be able to get him even cheaper than that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we swap some of our now homeless 3-4 personnel for him. Haggan and Mays are two obvious choices who won't fit our 4-3 but would be valuable role players out of the gate for Houston's now small and understaffed LBs.
This is a good analysis, but only one person has brought up the fact that Haynesworth was just indicted of sexual assault. I think that no FO - no matter how needy - would take on his contract, his attitude, then the sexual assault thing.

The best scenario is to let Tebow and Orton have a "fair" competition into training camp, then the FO can make their decisions. Unfortunately, the ultimate decider of what will happen - injury. Either our team, or another team has a key injury before the season at QB that necessitates Orton. That will be the time to "use him or move him."

Just hold the cards right now, he's too valuable to let go at this point.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #73
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
This is a good analysis, but only one person has brought up the fact that Haynesworth was just indicted of sexual assault. I think that no FO - no matter how needy - would take on his contract, his attitude, then the sexual assault thing.

The best scenario is to let Tebow and Orton have a "fair" competition into training camp, then the FO can make their decisions. Unfortunately, the ultimate decider of what will happen - injury. Either our team, or another team has a key injury before the season at QB that necessitates Orton. That will be the time to "use him or move him."

Just hold the cards right now, he's too valuable to let go at this point.
There is definite value in having him and Tebow compete. The best way to make a unified transition to Tebow is for him to flat out take the job from Orton. Shipping Orton out would get the same end result but you'd see some transitional issues before all the vets buy in to Tebow as their QB. If he shows up to camp and just starts torching people he'll be the guy and everyone on the roster will know it.

Maybe then we get lucky and find a home for Orton, but it'll be tough to get much better than a 4th or 5th round value unless a playoff level team is real desperate.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #74
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
We only traded one 2012 conditional pick in the Quinn/Hillis swap.
I think we lost a pick in the Mays trade too:

Quote:
[I]f Arrington does not make the Eagles' 53-man roster, the Broncos would instead send a conditional 2012 draft pick to Philadelphia.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5425354

Arrington didn't make the team.

Quote:
And who is going to give a 2nd or 3rd for Orton right now? The Vikings have openly stated their intent to give Ponder a trial by fire. A well substantiated rumor from multiple sources points to the Cardinals signing Bulger as soon as FA opens. San Francisco, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cincinnati, and Carolina all drafted new QBs as well by pick 36.

Who's left? Washington? They'll play Grossman before they'd play Orton. And that isn't even considering the fact that we'll be shopping Orton in a market that will already have Kevin Kolb and Carson Palmer available for trade with Matt Hasselback as a free agent.

The opportunity to trade Orton has passed us by due to the CBA interruption. Maybe San Fran or Cincy would have taken him as a low cost alternative in exchange for a 3rd, letting them better spend their 2nd round pick. Now we're at best looking for a 4th or 5th round pick by sending him to someone who wants a proven vet backup.
I don't buy the Bulger rumors for Arizona. He's been washed up for years now. If that's the route they go, they are pretty stupid. Maybe they bring him in as a backup insurance policy, but signing him to be the starter would be another season in the tank. Orton is a much better option for them at this point. If Shanny goes into 2011 with Grossman or Beck as the starter, then he has officially become consumed by hubris. That said, I agree that Orton isn't really a fit for Shanny. Miami didn't get a QB. Henne is garbage, so Orton would an upgrade there. The Seahawks and Hasselbeck are reportedly parting ways. Are they content to turn things over to Whitehurst? They certainly didn't show much confidence in him last season. They barely let him throw the ball in the season finale to clinch a playoff spot. You're right, though....the overall demand is diminished with four QBs going in the top 12, then two other clubs getting guys at the top of the 2nd. I'd still take a 4th or 5th just so we can move on. I like Orton, but keeping him around as a backup isn't a great situation. Hell, who know, he may outright win the job. No one wants that at this point.

Quote:
And if we could get Okoye for a 3rd or 4th round pick I'd be surprised if we didn't jump. He's only 23 and is a good fit in a one gap scheme like we'll be running. Its entirely possible with the rapid change to the 3-4 across the league though that we'll be able to get him even cheaper than that. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we swap some of our now homeless 3-4 personnel for him. Haggan and Mays are two obvious choices who won't fit our 4-3 but would be valuable role players out of the gate for Houston's now small and understaffed LBs.
He'd be worth a gamble since he's only 23. Again, though, that'd leave us with only 4 picks in 2012. If we could trade Orton for mid-round pick or two, it would make that more tenable.
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #75
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 6,161

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I'm a huge Shanny fan.

Having said that, Shanny vs. Haynesworth...come on!

Whose the bigger headcase? Do you think that maybe, just maybe, he's not as bad as he was made out to be? I mean the guy didn't blow up and he actually handled the head games and played football last year.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Denver Broncos