The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Texans would like to move up to No. 2 in a trade with Denver, 1, 3, 4 pick and Amobi Okoye

If Carolina does trade receiver Steve Smith, Denver could be a legitimate target.

In a chat, Houston Chronicle's John McClain wrote that the Texans would like to move up to No. 2 in a trade with Denver and take Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. The Broncos would listen to offers. McClain wrote that the Texans could offer their 1, 3, 4 pick and Amobi Okoye.

The Texans’ top pick is No. 11. I don’t think that package is enough and the NFL draft pick value chart backs that thought up. New Denver football leader John Elway and Houston coach Gary Kubiak are former teammates and are close friends. The Denver Post believes the fact that the lockout was lifted by a Minnesota court may have diminished Denver’s chances of a trading the No. 2 pick, which hasn’t been traded in 11 years, anyway.

If Carolina does trade receiver Steve Smith, Denver could be a legitimate target. New Denver coach John Fox came from Carolina and he and Smith had a good relationship. He’d probably reunite to get the veteran receiver. Meanwhile Fox, who clearly knows their needs, thinks the Panthers will take a quarterback at No. 1. He’d be happy with that. It would give Denver its choice of any defensive player on its board.

for the rest
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-west-notes-65

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 04-27-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

If they bring that dip**** here I'll be disappointed.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Maybe 7 or 8 years ago!

But now?

Hell no!
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
DrFate
Lord of Order

I realize the guy talks a lot, but he'd be a significant upgrade over existing talent and give Tebow a real game-breaker
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

develop Decker, continue to use Lloyd's talents and get Royal back into the mix please, we don't need a head case here again
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Why would Carolina be so stupid to trade away one of their only legitimate receiving threats - especially if they might be drafting a young, inexperienced QB?
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
I realize the guy talks a lot, but he'd be a significant upgrade over existing talent and give Tebow a real game-breaker
The dude is 32 yrs old and I'm not sure he's an upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs currently. Certainly not a significant enough one to merit the big money contract he's signed to (7 mil this year and 8 next). The guy fights with teammates constantly and has openly complained about playing in cold weather. Boy, that sounds like a great match for Denver.

Pass.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
meangene
Ring of Famer

These rumors are just silly.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Why would Carolina be so stupid to trade away one of their only legitimate receiving threats - especially if they might be drafting a young, inexperienced QB?
Because Smith wants to be traded - they may not have much of a choice.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

if we are going to start taking Carolina players, at least make it DeAngelo Williams

now him, I would welcome
Old 04-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
if we are going to start taking Carolina players, at least make it DeAngelo Williams

now him, I would welcome
Or Charles Johnson
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Or Charles Johnson
oooohhhh yesssss
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This isn't news, it's hypothesis based on supposition. I promise you we won't get Smith. Xanders and Elway have talked about building through the draft. They aren't looking to trade away picks and Fox knows first hand what a 'tard Smith has been in Carolina. Does anyone really think bringing his baggage and aging body here is a recipe for success for any party involved but the Panthers?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
Boomhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
These rumors are just silly.
If Carolina wants to give us Smith to swap 1st Rnd picks, I'm down.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The dude is 32 yrs old and I'm not sure he's an upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs currently. Certainly not a significant enough one to merit the big money contract he's signed to (7 mil this year and 8 next). The guy fights with teammates constantly and has openly complained about playing in cold weather. Boy, that sounds like a great match for Denver.

Pass.
Yes, he's 32. WRs (look at TO) can play several years past that age.

Yes he fights with teammats and complains.

I'm not sure how he's not an 'upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs' - cause our top 3 ain't all that good.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #16
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
DTs can play until they're 40. I can play that game too. What are the chances he'll be productive though?

Quote:
I'm not sure how he's not an 'upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs' - cause our top 3 ain't all that good.
I guess that's your opinion, but Lloyd, Gaffney and Royal have all outperformed Smith recently with none of the headaches he brings AND for a lot less money.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #17
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:

Yes he fights with teammats and complains.

Just to contend, because their careers as a whole are not comparable, but Brandon Loyd's production last season was as good as Steve Smith's last 2 years COMBINED.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Remember this is coming from big burger williamson.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #19
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Just to contend, because their careers as a whole are not comparable, but Brandon Loyd's production last season was as good as Steve Smith's last 2 years COMBINED.
That's true - and Lloyd's production last year was nowhere close to Lloyd's production his previous 7 seasons. (Heck, Lloyd's production last season was as good as Lloyd's previous FOUR seasons combined)

Do you anticpate Lloyd's 2011 looking like Lloyd's 2010, or like Lloyd's 2003-2009?

I'm typically not a fan of brining in a malcontent, and I think that label fits Smith. But I also know he's a dynamic guy and I'm not expecting Lloyd to repeat his brilliant production from last year.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I just think with his age, injury history, attitude, and salary, he wouldn't be a good pickup.

I could see if the Broncos were one or two players away, but they need to rebuild with younger guys.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #21
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
...and drafted one last year (QB).
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #22
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
I just think with his age, injury history, attitude, and salary, he wouldn't be a good pickup.
These are all valid points (as are the ones others have mentioned). I still would consider giving Tebow a true deep threat for the next copule of years, though.

I don't really expect Lloyd to repeat last year's bonanza, I doubt Thomas ever regains his form (sadly) and Royal/Gaffney are more slant guys.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
That's true - and Lloyd's production last year was nowhere close to Lloyd's production his previous 7 seasons. (Heck, Lloyd's production last season was as good as Lloyd's previous FOUR seasons combined)

Do you anticpate Lloyd's 2011 looking like Lloyd's 2010, or like Lloyd's 2003-2009?

I'm typically not a fan of brining in a malcontent, and I think that label fits Smith. But I also know he's a dynamic guy and I'm not expecting Lloyd to repeat his brilliant production from last year.
It's hard to say if either player will revert to their recent past production. One thing you can say is that Loyd was better last season, was a ideal professional as he rode the bench in 2009, is 2 years younger....and much cheaper.

edit....okay that was more than one thing
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #24
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

What kind of junk analysis by Burger Bill is this? We're relatively deep at receiver even with Thomas missing time. That's the last position we need to add anyone. No way we're going to burn yet another valuable pick on a wide receiver-- particularly to rent an old one with declining skills and a big mouth for a couple of years. That's retarded. Not happening.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #25
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Am I correct that this is one reporter reporting on the thoughts of another reporter?
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote