The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default 7 Rounds of Broncos picks by Lostknight

I set my self a couple of restrictions. I don't think there are going to be any trades for picks next year. If so, there is going to be a insane disparity - ie, a third round pick this year might be a first next year because there is a huge risk that there will not be a draft next year if the NFLPA in name only laywers get their way and the NFL looses all anti-trust immunity.

I also restricted myself to players the Broncos have visited or made statements about being interested in. Only four players out of the Broncos picks last year were brought in. But I think Elway will be a lot less worried about smoke screens, and a lot more interested in making sane decisions then McGuile was.

-- First Round --
#2) DT - Marcell Dareus

Everyone's jumped up and down about how difficult it is going to be for Tebow to adapt to a new head coach without a offseason. But there is a bigger issue, Fox is keeping McDaniel's offense. On the other hand they plan to scrap the 3-4 and return to a 4-3. That might not be feasible if the off-season is scratched. While I would argue that safety is the biggest gap on this team right now, and there is not a safety worth taking here. I think Marcell will be the pick as long as Carolina remains insane and goes after Cam Newton. Marcell has the flexibility to play just about anywhere on the front line in a pinch, and I honestly think that he can give Suh a run for his money at DT. If he is there, grab him. There is a small chance they go after Fairley - he certainly looks like Julius Peppers - but the intangiables that Fairley doesn't have scares me.

If Marcell is off the board, I think the Broncos grab Peterson. Even though Peterson is a CB, Champ is already talking about sliding over to safety. That move may occur a lot sooner then anyone expects.

The last option is Miller. There is a significant drop off of talent after Miller in LBs. Woodyard looked excellent in a 4-3, Mays looked solid this year, and DJ is being paid as a top MLB, even if he isn't one.

* Insane conspiracy theory - if Bowers slips beyond around 20 or so and the Broncos didn't land Marcell, I would not be surprised to see the Broncos package one of their twos and one of their threes and move up and grab him *

-- Second Round --
#36) QB - Colin Kaepernick
First of all, this pick has nothing to do with Tebow, and everything to do with Orton and Quinn. The dicey part of this pick is if Kaepernick is actually available here. An AFC West team is said to have Kaepernick is the top of their draft board for QBs. It would not surprise me to find out that this team is the Broncos, but it just as easily could be the Raiders. If the Broncos trade Kyle Orton - and I believe that they would if they could - they need another QB on the roster. Normally this type of position might be late draft, or perhaps even a UDFA, but there is no UDFA's this year, and there is such a dearth of talent at QB that it's extremely unlikely that any talent will sit around to achieve bargain status.

So we are in a position where we have to draft QB's high if we want to move Orton. Kaepernick has great mobility, and great accuracy. If Tebow is injured - and he will be sooner or later - Kaepernick can step in without mutilating the Broncos playbook.

If the Broncos believe that Quinn can deliver on his promise of his athleticism or if they don't think they will be able to move Orton, this pick might be free. If that's the case, Look for the Broncos to trade aggressively here if Ponder or Kapernick is still on the board.

#46) LB - Some of the drafts have Akeem Ayers falling all the way to here. I doubt it, I think the pick will be Mason Foster or Martez Wilson. With both Ayers and Doom moving up to the D-line, the LB corp does not to be re-enforced.

-- Third Round --
#67) S - Quinton Carter
The talent at S this year is less then ideal, but I think the Broncos need additional depth here.

- ****ing McDaniels - no Fourth of Fifth Round picks. -

-- Sixth Round --
186) RB Taiwan Jones, Kindall Hunter, or any other talented RB still around.
There is a insane glut of running back talent that is going to go in the fourth and fifth round. Hopefully there is a bit more in the tank, because we need a bruiser. We've visited with a few RB's that are not even in some 7 round drafts so this pick will come down to if they like one of those guys. If not, I would not be surprised to see the Broncos pair the sixes and go after a RB. In that case I think it will be Kindall Hunter or Taiwan Jones.

189) CB DeMarcus Van Dyke
Van Dyke is horribly raw, but also amazingly fast. Doesn't have the height or the size to dominate, but can close and make insane plays in the middle of the field. Great Nickle and Special teams opportunity.

247) FB Zac Pauga
In any other year, he would be a UDFA. He has two things working for him. The first is that there are no UDFAs this year. The second is Peyton Hillis's success. He's a great receiving threat, as well as being able to lead block. Anyone in the Moreno debate should note that Moreno was far more effective with Larsen in there rather then not there.

The only glaring gap here is TE. In general, I think it is a need, but we have a lot of potential TEs on the team.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
JDub15

Esh... glad you're not the GM, I'll say that.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Draft a QB in this marginal QB group? Come on. Orton can fill the need this year. The defense needs help. The only way Denver drafts a QB is if Luck or Barkley declare right now.

I like this draft I'm not a fan of your 2nd round picks they just don't do it for me. Colin Kaepernick is an unlikely selection for us he does have unlimited upside, He also possesses the mobility that Shanahan likes out of his quarterbacks so I see them making a move to draft Kaepernick ahead of us.

Well we've all heard how Fox loves to end the fall of prospects. Some guys to be on the look out for in the 2nd.

Gabe Carimi / RT
Brandon Harris / CB
Drave Nevis / UT
Phil Taylor / NT
Akeem Ayers / OLB
Stephen Paea / DT
Adrian Clayborn / DE
Allen Bailey / DE
Mikell LeShoure / RB
Aaron Williams / FS
Ras-I Dowling / FS
Justin Houston / DE

I'd rather you give us a pair of the above list of players. Ryan Harris is set to be a RFA if the new CBA terms are similar but more likely will be a UFA so there's that as-well to think about.
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Icon hits it on the head any of those players he posted would be better 2nd rd picks and fit our needs better
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

1marcell-dt
2ben ijana-g/c/t
2starvin marvin austin-dt
3dontay moch-lb
6Robert Sands- S
6Ian williams-de/dt-sleeper but will go much much earlier-like 3rd/4th but bad knees might make him fall
7-shaun chapas FB or delone carter/craig cooper at RB (whichever of the 3 is still there)
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I really wish that I didn't think that this FO was going to go QB. But I think that they are. In that case, I don't think Dalton survives long enough, and Kapernick does have a lot to recommend him in terms of upside.

Any other draft, he survives to the fifth round. This year not looking so hot, unless Carolina comes to their sense.

If Akeem Ayers is there, I think he gets the nod. But I've seen him go anywhere from 12 to 40. My guess is that there will be a rush on D-Line (because of depth), QBs (because of lack of depth and high demand).
Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
1marcell-dt
2ben ijana-g/c/t
2starvin marvin austin-dt
3dontay moch-lb
6Robert Sands- S
6Ian williams-de/dt-sleeper but will go much much earlier-like 3rd/4th but bad knees might make him fall
7-shaun chapas FB or delone carter/craig cooper at RB (whichever of the 3 is still there)
Hey, create your own thread, or at least play by the rules I laid out above - only players that the Broncos have brought in or expressed interest in ;-)
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Dareus then who cares.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
I really wish that I didn't think that this FO was going to go QB. But I think that they are. In that case, I don't think Dalton survives long enough, and Kapernick does have a lot to recommend him in terms of upside.

Any other draft, he survives to the fifth round. This year not looking so hot, unless Carolina comes to their sense.

If Akeem Ayers is there, I think he gets the nod. But I've seen him go anywhere from 12 to 40. My guess is that there will be a rush on D-Line (because of depth), QBs (because of lack of depth and high demand).
I think you're a bit confused, since it now seems you're talking about drafting a QB has been talked about by are FO as a for sure thing. The hole thing is when you draft this high 2nd over-all you should see whats out there but believe me no one in are FO is thinking we have to get this QB are that QB in this draft IMO.

I think we need a restructured D-Line and OLBs I hope looking at this years rookie QB class FO can see we don't need one this is the worst group I can remember coming through in a long time.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Good thing this thread is kind of hiding in the draft sub forum b/c it's one of the worst of all time.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

If they do draft a QB, I highly doubt it would be Kaepernick. You already have one QB project in Tebow, and now you're going to bring in another? Make no sense. If they go QB, it will be someone like Ponder who is more polished.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

You also forget that Peterson could play safety -- from day one.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Traveler's 2011 Denver Broncos Mock Draft Final(4/25/11)

#1 - Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M, 6'-3" 246 lbs.
#2 - Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami, 6'-6" 316 lbs
#2 - Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina, 6'-3" 310 lbs.
#3 - DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma, 6'-0", 213 lbs.
#6 - Robert Sands, FS, West Virginia, 6'4" 217 lbs.
#6 - Jordan Cameron, TE, USC, 6'-6" 254 lbs.
#7 - Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford, 6'-1" 246 lbs.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

love your draft except Von Miller I think he will bust IMO.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

I like where you are going with this, and I wouldn't mind taking OL at the top of the second round, however, I am assuming you see Franklin playing RT? The knock on Franklin is slower feet, and difficulty with speed rushers. Is that what you would want if Tebow is the starter? Fox also insinuated that the 2a pick would need to be a "starter." I don't know much about Franklin, but it doesn't sound like he would be an improvement over Ryan Harris (whom I would rather re-sign, rather than replace with an unknown).

If all the top flight Tackles are gone, it might be better to pick OL with 2B, or 3, or just package a couple picks to move back into the first round for a true starter at RT, or someone like Phil Taylor at DT.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON View Post
love your draft except Von Miller I think he will bust IMO.
Miller and Peterson appear to be the only two 'can't miss' prospects in this entire draft. I don't understand where anyone could watch Miller or Peterson play and remotely come to the conclusion either one can't play on Sundays.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Miller and Peterson appear to be the only two 'can't miss' prospects in this entire draft. I don't understand where anyone could watch Miller or Peterson play and remotely come to the conclusion either one can't play on Sundays.

As for me I would be fine with Peterson @ 2, Put PP as your first pick for us in your mock and I would be crying tears of joy if your mock came true.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I like where you are going with this, and I wouldn't mind taking OL at the top of the second round, however, I am assuming you see Franklin playing RT? The knock on Franklin is slower feet, and difficulty with speed rushers. Is that what you would want if Tebow is the starter? Fox also insinuated that the 2a pick would need to be a "starter." I don't know much about Franklin, but it doesn't sound like he would be an improvement over Ryan Harris (whom I would rather re-sign, rather than replace with an unknown).

If all the top flight Tackles are gone, it might be better to pick OL with 2B, or 3, or just package a couple picks to move back into the first round for a true starter at RT, or someone like Phil Taylor at DT.
I am viewing Franklin as a RT. Kid handled LT in college but is more suited inside or at RT on the NFL level. I'd have no problem with him protecting Tebow's blind side. Added bonus being he's a better run blocker than Harris.

Here is PFW's take on Franklin:

Notes: Also played basketball as a prep. Born in Jamaica and raised in Canada, Franklin moved to Florida as a high school upperclassman to better his college football chances. Played tackle (did not allow a sack as a senior) but was recruited as a guard. Originally signed as part of the 2006 recruiting class but failed to qualify academically (reportedly related to classes taken while still in Canada not meeting requirements). In ’07, appeared in all 12 games and started three at left guard, grading out at 95 percent with 27 pancake blocks in 407 snaps. Suffered a left wrist injury against Florida State, incurring a fracture and a pair of torn ligaments. Underwent postseason surgery and sat out ’08 spring practice. Weight approached approximately 350 pounds at one point during the summer, but returned to start 11-of-13 games (yielded starts to A.J. Trump in two games) in the fall, when he graded out at 94 percent with 38 pancakes. In ’09, started all 13 games — 11 at left guard, one lined up as a tight end and the season finale at left tackle in place of injured starter Jason Fox — and graded out at 95 percent with 51 pancakes and 13 “lumberjacks.” Made the switch to left tackle in ’10 and played all 13 games (12 starts), recording 61 pancakes and 16 lumberjacks. Did not run a second time at the Combine because of surgery on his left meniscus.

Positives: Very physical and will exert his will on opponents — plays with tenacity and seeks to bury defenders in the ground. Has good body power and substance to anchor and hold the point of attack against bigger bodies. Matched up very well against Clemson’s Da’Quan Bowers. Outstanding football disposition — plays with a mean streak. Outstanding grip strength. Aggressive run blocker. Strong finisher. Battles hard and competes. Is light enough on his feet to handle edge speed. Tough, will play through pain and has been very durable.

Negatives: Inconsistent technique — plays too wide-based and hands too often go outside the target. Relies too much on his natural strength. Tight-hipped, stiff-ankled and has a lot of lower-body stiffness — tends to play upright as a result. Lazy eyes — can be late to see and adjust to the blitz. Weight ballooned in the past and needs to be monitored. Has a selfish makeup with a huge ego and a sense of entitlement not desired in the trenches. Not accountable.

Summary: An enormous, ornery big man who looks every bit the part and showed he could handle playing left tackle as a senior. Is most naturally suited for the inside in the pros, where his physical temperament could allow him to blossom. Physically stacks up as one of the most gifted offensive linemen in the draft and can immediately upgrade a run game and even warrant late first-round consideration. However, he will require maintenance and could be difficult to coach.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...o-franklin-74/

I like your suggestion about the possibility of acquiring Taylor, but his stock has rising to the point that it would cost too much to move up and get him.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICON View Post
As for me I would be fine with Peterson @ 2, Put PP as your first pick for us in your mock and I would be crying tears of joy if your mock came true.
I secretly covet PP, but can't see the team allocating such a large portion of their cap to one position.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
I secretly covet PP, but can't see the team allocating such a large portion of their cap to one position.
Same as the mock I did ...I like the way you think.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #21
Agamemnon

Stopped reading at the QB pick...
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 AM   #22
longtimer
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Nice Job!!!
But I have flash backs to ather LB we drafted really named mike crolew.
I would rather extremelyangry large dt to stop the run.
I like the 2 second round picks
I would want the g cannon from TCU
and what are you thoughts on Mario Harvey, ILB, Marshall
he around 260 and runs 4.44 any chance to convert him to a SS
longtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #23
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimer View Post
Nice Job!!!
But I have flash backs to ather LB we drafted really named mike crolew.
I would rather extremelyangry large dt to stop the run.
I like the 2 second round picks
I would want the g cannon from TCU
and what are you thoughts on Mario Harvey, ILB, Marshall
he around 260 and runs 4.44 any chance to convert him to a SS
Thanks!

After seeing the results when the Broncos try converting a player from one position to another, I'd pass on Harvey. Not saying that he can't do it, just that the team hasn't been very successful. More misses than hits.

IIRC and can't remember where I saw it, but Cannon failed a drug test at the combine. I might have him mixed up with someone else though.

As for the jumbo DT, there a chance that Jerrell Powe might be availble in round six. Don't know what happened with him this past season, but he was once considered a a high round candidate.

EDIT: Cannon tested positive and was treated for lymphoma.

Last edited by Traveler; 04-28-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #24
primetime714

Here's mine:

#2 trade to Arizona for #5, a 2nd, and a 4th (I think they probably want Miller and would need to trade up ahead of Buffalo to make that happen)

#5- Patrick Peterson- CB
2nd Round- Stephen Paea- DT
2nd Round (from Arizona)- Mikel Leshoure- RB
2nd Round (from Miami)- Allen Bailey- DT/DE
3rd Round- Drave Nevis- DT
4th Round (from Arizona)- Kelvin Sheppard- MLB
6th Round- Mike McNeil- TE
6th Round- Willie Smith- OT
7th Round- Darren Evans- RB

Mostly defense early with offensive potential late in the draft. And honestly the pick I question most is LeShoure. I'm not sold on him, but really think the offense needs to focus on the run game this year. Peterson, Paea, Bailey, and Nevis would be amazing. I'm also a big fan of Kelvin Sheppard, solid all around player and a good leader could compete for a starting spot at MLB in this defense.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: