The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default Fox compares Peterson to Rod Woodson

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17902847

Broncos coach John Fox has spent much his career in football as a defensive backs coach, in both college and the NFL.
When most of the NFL's head coaches had abandoned the scouting combine in February, Fox was one of the few who attended the defensive backs workouts on the event's last day.
So, he knows plenty about the position.

When asked about LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson, Fox said: "I'll be honest with you, I had Rod Woodson, Gil Byrd, I've had some pretty good guys. I've never seen anything like (Peterson), with that size, that speed. I don't think there's been a 219-pound guy run a 4.3. He's a special talent. That's the way the game's changed, he's about the same height as Rod, but 219 pounds and ran 4.3."

Considering Woodson was in the prime of a Hall of Fame career when Fox was the Steelers' defensive backs coach, that's pretty high praise.
While most people in the league believe the Broncos will select Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus when their first-round pick rolls around Thursday, there is no question that No. 2 overall pick would be their only chance at Peterson.

If they pass on Peterson, they still will almost certainly come away with at least one defensive back in this draft class.
In their search for more youth to infuse into the secondary, the Broncos have spent plenty of time looking at the defensive backs. At corner, the issue is between Peterson and Nebraska's Prince Amukamara also a top-10 pick as there is a rather large dropoff at the position after that.
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
yerner
Ring of Famer

Draft him then, Fox!
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Nothing against Peterson, but why do you draft him if you believe in playing a lot of zone?
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Nothing against Peterson, but why do you draft him if you believe in playing a lot of zone?
Because if the ball is thrown near his zone it turns into a pass defense or a pick.

A pick in the hands of the most dangerous collegiate returner in recent history mind you.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
teknic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Fox also believes in assembling the top talent he can, and to let players make plays. I don't think we're going to see Fox and Allen try to fit players into their scheme, but rather to work the scheme around the players that we have. I'm sure Fox and Allen could put an elite talent like Peterson to good use.

With Peterson, Bailey and Goodman (or possibly Cox) on the back end, I think we'll be able to send an extra rusher or two and get some pressure. Plus, Dawkins could play at the line of scrimmage and wouldn't get burned against the pass nearly as much. Dawkins is still a playmaker against the run and rushing the QB.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
Draft him then, Fox!
Amen!
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
Fox also believes in assembling the top talent he can, and to let players make plays. I don't think we're going to see Fox and Allen try to fit players into their scheme, but rather to work the scheme around the players that we have. I'm sure Fox and Allen could put an elite talent like Peterson to good use.

With Peterson, Bailey and Goodman (or possibly Cox) on the back end, I think we'll be able to send an extra rusher or two and get some pressure. Plus, Dawkins could play at the line of scrimmage and wouldn't get burned against the pass nearly as much. Dawkins is still a playmaker against the run and rushing the QB.
Its better to not need to send an extra guy. Its better to have guys upfront that make that unnecessary.

I cant wait for Champ and Peterson yo start giving up plays and then the people clamoring for Peterson will be blaming the front 7.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
KevinJames
Peyton Taking us to SB 13

Fox had 2 pretty talented DBs in Carolina I think he wants Peterson, but its not his call = /
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Its better to not need to send an extra guy. Its better to have guys upfront that make that unnecessary.

I cant wait for Champ and Peterson yo start giving up plays and then the people clamoring for Peterson will be blaming the front 7.
I know because after our #2 pick we'd be all finished drafting right?

My God, there is so much damn DT depth to be had and we have 2 2nd round picks to use on just that...I sure would hate to take the best defensive player in the entire draft, and some other DTs that have very little drop off if any from the 1st round guys. That sure would be a fail on us!
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

As much as I want DT, DT, DT, this may change my mind. I admired Woodson, second only to Lott, as a DB, and if this kid truly reminds people of him, then maybe we do need to snatch him up. They just better not screw up the DT picks later.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
As much as I want DT, DT, DT, this may change my mind. I admired Woodson, second only to Lott, as a DB, and if this kid truly reminds people of him, then maybe we do need to snatch him up. They just better not screw up the DT picks later.
yes, totally agree with you there
Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
teknic

Quote:

I'm not suggesting that we neglect the front 7. We can add some pretty good prospects in the second round, or possibly trade back into the first. It's been said time and time again, but this is a deep draft for dline, and from a value standpoint, it doesn't make sense to take Dareus or Fairley at #2 unless the front office is completely sold on one of them. We can also pursue some of the decent front 7 free agents set to hit the market this year.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i don't think you can screw up with taking Peterson,Dareus or Miller. it's all about value of the selection and ensuring that you get the best player for your team.

that said, a kid like Dareus is hard to pass up since he would fill a need and allow you to bring in talent later on in the draft at CB. but if you can snag 1st round talent in DT in a Marvin Austin in the 2nd round then Peterson would be an excellent selection.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
I'm not suggesting that we neglect the front 7. We can add some pretty good prospects in the second round, or possibly trade back into the first. It's been said time and time again, but this is a deep draft for dline, and from a value standpoint, it doesn't make sense to take Dareus or Fairley at #2 unless the front office is completely sold on one of them. We can also pursue some of the decent front 7 free agents set to hit the market this year.
Yeah like Daryl Gardener.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post

My God, there is so much damn DT depth to be had and we have 2 2nd round picks to use on just that...I sure would hate to take the best defensive player in the entire draft, and some other DTs that have very little drop off if any from the 1st round guys. That sure would be a fail on us!
I don't follow college football super closely, and I'm especially ignorant to prospects, etc. I've been against taking Peterson because I've been against taking a CB period.

With that said, if what you're saying is true, that there's talent in the 2nd round and we can still address our terrible defensive front 7, then I'd be on board with taking Peterson, I think. Would there be a couple guys in the 2nd we could plug in as starters immediately?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

That's a damn good compliment. I can see it with his talent at CB and return ability. I think he's the best long term investment, that's for sure. DB's can easily play 10-15 yrs.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

some possibilities are Marvin Austin,Phil Taylor,Stephen Paea,Jurrell Casey,Allen Bailey(some project him as a DE, others DT),Kendric Ellis.
in a perfect world Muhammad Wilkerson will fall but i just don't see that happening. he might end up a top 15-20 selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I don't follow college football super closely, and I'm especially ignorant to prospects, etc. I've been against taking Peterson because I've been against taking a CB period.

With that said, if what you're saying is true, that there's talent in the 2nd round and we can still address our terrible defensive front 7, then I'd be on board with taking Peterson, I think. Would there be a couple guys in the 2nd we could plug in as starters immediately?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #18
primetime714

Peterson is probably the best player in this draft IMO. I would not be disappointed if we drafted him even with how bad our front 7 is. This is a rebuilding year anyway adding a difference maker like Peterson is still a step in the right direction as it gives the team more talent to build around for the future. Especially if we throw some 2nd round picks and eventually free agents at the front 7.

Trading down and still getting Peterson would be a dream scenario in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I wonder if there's a chance Cincinatti wants to leapfrog Buffalo for Newton.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #20
OrangeSe7en

Quote:

Right. Because this idea has been so successful. And if there's really that much DT depth, that's more of an argument to take 2 DTs.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Could be Fox trying to generate some action for a trade to the 2 spot... Could be that Peterson is his favorite player. I think Elways favorite is Peterson as well though. I think X's favorite is Fairley. If they can hook a trade up and drop down to 5, they will have their choice of either one.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Plus the Broncos have clearly stated they will draft the best player regardless of position.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Filing in this in my "No **** Sherlock" folder.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
yes, totally agree with you there
Thats my take too. we absolutely MUST fixe the front 7 and DT positions in particular, But at #2 pick we equally must go with BPA. I think both Dareus and even Frailey are gonna be really good solid DTs for years to come and would love to have the best of those two on the team

But I don't see nearly as big a drop off from their talent to some of the other strong DTs we can get in round 2 as I do in the drop from Peterson and even Prince ( both of whom are long gone before the second round at corner in the second round.

Peterson has all the tangibles and intangibles to be a 16 year Stud multi-year Pro bowler in this league.

If they don't go Peterson, I'm leaning Von Miller as the next BPA. In fact, with all the praise Fox and Elway have given Peterson .. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a little diversion to grab Miller??... Although with the 2nd peak we don't need to fool too many teams unless we're trying to trade down a few spots and still grad one of the top two or three BPA's plus an extra second rounder?

I just think we need a major stud for us and a future team leader on Defense ...and Peterson opposite Champ WITH and only WITH insuring MAJOR improvement in the front 7 via round two & three plus FA ... is our best bet long term.

We cant rebuild the entire defense in one year .. not going to happen. But we have made major strides now with a D oriented coach and getting Doom back, Vickerson at one DT spot and a 3rd year Ayers back at his natural position with all the experience now!

Getting some young ALL Pro legs back there opposite Champ with Goodie and Maybe Cox or Squid holding down the nickle and dime and who the hell are opposing QBs going to throw too?? TEs I guess :-)

Suddenly 'Champ-Peterson Island' stretches from sideline to sideline and 40 yard deep!

Any other year without a potential once in 15 years corner in the draft and Im all over Dareus as a lock .. or Von Miller. But the closer I look at Peterson the more I think we could use him. Even if we have to ship in Hanesworth as a FA DT to play next to Vickerson, Doom and Ayers for a couple years while developing a couple of the second rounder DTs to top form?

I just am not sold that either Dareus or Fairley will make as big an impact at DT long term over the next decade as Peterson will at corner, returner and later at safety...!

Last edited by Hulamau; 04-22-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Right. Because this idea has been so successful. And if there's really that much DT depth, that's more of an argument to take 2 DTs.
When was the last time the Broncos went BPA regardless of need?

And to your argument, in my scenario we would take 2 DTs, soooooo

I'd be content with Miller as well, or a trade down for picks and a Fairley for example

I just feel like anyone that passes on PP will look back and be all Ed Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed