The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Default OT:Wii2

Check out rumored specs on new console from Nintendo to be revealed at E3. Zelda in 1080P

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Hopefully this will spur the other guys into another console revision... I want something new (but really have no interest in anything Nintendo does).
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I read that article you provided and a few of the related links on those pages. It seems odd that they would take another radically different approach to the controllers. So far, Nintendo has been really good at making each successive console backwards compatible. Even the current Wii controller can be turned sideways to mimic the early rectangle shaped control devices of the old machines. I'm having a hard time figuring out how the rumored controller could still work with current Wii motion games. To tell consumers that all their existing Wii games are either not compatible or that they'll have to hang on to their old controllers and nunchucks to use on the new system seems a little tough to take. Unless they've got some other remedy for that too...
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
huh??
Back in the 5280!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Hopefully this will spur the other guys into another console revision... I want something new (but really have no interest in anything Nintendo does).
It probably wouldn't hurt to have at least some interest in Nintendo's actions. They tend to be similar to Apple in doing more to lead the industry/market in innovations and adding creativity to their products and not just trying to impress with better graphics. Look at how Sony and Microsoft had to try to put together motion controllers as well. Obviously, this has led to some duds in the past, but if these new rumors have any shred of truth to them, they're planning to take another revolutionary step as opposed to just slapping on a new processor.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
JDB7821
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
I read that article you provided and a few of the related links on those pages. It seems odd that they would take another radically different approach to the controllers. So far, Nintendo has been really good at making each successive console backwards compatible. Even the current Wii controller can be turned sideways to mimic the early rectangle shaped control devices of the old machines. I'm having a hard time figuring out how the rumored controller could still work with current Wii motion games. To tell consumers that all their existing Wii games are either not compatible or that they'll have to hang on to their old controllers and nunchucks to use on the new system seems a little tough to take. Unless they've got some other remedy for that too...
It might just have an input for the sensor bar that allows you to use the Wiimote. That's the only way I could see it having backwards compatibility.
JDB7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Did you get hitched yet?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
BroncoMatt
The Blizzard Man

Check My Style Out

Honestly the only reason I use my wii is to stream netflix. Not sure if a new console would change that.
BroncoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMatt View Post
Honestly the only reason I use my wii is to stream netflix. Not sure if a new console would change that.
funny, I can say the same for my PS3. Don't game on it at all.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Rock Band squares and circles in 1080!! Alright!

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

Try Zelda and Metroid in 1080P
Old 04-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
It probably wouldn't hurt to have at least some interest in Nintendo's actions. They tend to be similar to Apple in doing more to lead the industry/market in innovations and adding creativity to their products and not just trying to impress with better graphics. Look at how Sony and Microsoft had to try to put together motion controllers as well. Obviously, this has led to some duds in the past, but if these new rumors have any shred of truth to them, they're planning to take another revolutionary step as opposed to just slapping on a new processor.
I disagree, Nintendo's console systems have been playing catch up since the SNES. They have dominated via name recognition. Nintendo refused to evolve from cartridge based systems with the N64, which lead to 70-80 dollar games, and created their own biggest rival in the Playstation. When they finally moved on from cartridges they ended up behind in the online revolution of gaming, something they still haven't done very well. Motion gaming on the Wii, and the touchscreen on the DS are the first times they have lead the industry forward in decades, and I still think motion gaming is going to fade away.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Next gen just started.

It's been a long time coming as the Wii hardware has declined steadily and all but disappeared when the Kinect/Move was released. Nintendo gets horrible third party software sales, so once their hardware sales slow down, they run out of revenue avenues.

It was expected that once the DS2 was released, they would focus on the Wii2, as they can't sit back and collect royalties like MS and Sony who would love for us to be stuck in 1 generation forever.

People don't realize just how old the Xbox 360 is. The Wii-2 may very well retail for a cool $200 and deliver higher end graphics than both the PS3 and 360 with ease.

The key fact here is, they don't need anything revolutionary, they just need a Wii with great graphics and that right there will scare both MS and Sony into mobolizing their next gen plans.

For some perspective, the original 360 was released in 2005. It was at retail a full two years before Apple made the first "I-phone," and today, it could probably be challenged in processing power by some of the latest tablets that you're using to read e-books...

More likely than not, this thing will try to take the market by storm this year,and MS and Sony will rush their consoles to market within 12 months to compete.

Last edited by Willynowei; 04-22-2011 at 02:32 PM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I disagree, Nintendo's console systems have been playing catch up since the SNES. They have dominated via name recognition. Nintendo refused to evolve from cartridge based systems with the N64, which lead to 70-80 dollar games, and created their own biggest rival in the Playstation. When they finally moved on from cartridges they ended up behind in the online revolution of gaming, something they still haven't done very well. Motion gaming on the Wii, and the touchscreen on the DS are the first times they have lead the industry forward in decades, and I still think motion gaming is going to fade away.

No, motion gaming, like touchscreens, are here to stay. Sadly. The Kinect from MS is bloody brilliant and the technology behind it is already being used for Robots (cheaper and better than what they were using) at MIT.

As the generations of this technology progress, motion gaming in the future is going to be pretty kick ass. Right now it looks like a fad and somethign that might fade away but considering how good technology progresses there is a TON of potential in the technology that could get even lazy slobs like me off the couch (although, like others have mentioned, I mostly use my 360 for Netflix streaming these days).
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

does that mean wiidare will be motion controlled ?
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #15
huh??
Back in the 5280!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Yeah...I guess I was thinking more of Nintendo's more recent steps...starting with the Wii and DS devices, but that's why I can acknowledge the duds along the way too. I do still remember the early days of handheld devices (80's) that were LCD "graphics" and the only way that difficulty would increase was by getting faster. In fact, I had a Donkey Kong game that was dual screened and opened up like the DS devices do. I got it while I was visiting relatives in Japan sometime in the early/mid 80's. That was before the original Game Boy was released. I do still think that Nintendo of today tries to break new ground as opposed to make a better wheel.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

secret picture revealed.....

tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Next gen just started.

It's been a long time coming as the Wii hardware has declined steadily and all but disappeared when the Kinect/Move was released. Nintendo gets horrible third party software sales, so once their hardware sales slow down, they run out of revenue avenues.

It was expected that once the DS2 was released, they would focus on the Wii2, as they can't sit back and collect royalties like MS and Sony who would love for us to be stuck in 1 generation forever.

People don't realize just how old the Xbox 360 is. The Wii-2 may very well retail for a cool $200 and deliver higher end graphics than both the PS3 and 360 with ease.

The key fact here is, they don't need anything revolutionary, they just need a Wii with great graphics and that right there will scare both MS and Sony into mobolizing their next gen plans.
For some perspective, the original 360 was released in 2005. It was at retail a full two years before Apple made the first "I-phone," and today, it could probably be challenged in processing power by some of the latest tablets that you're using to read e-books...

More likely than not, this thing will try to take the market by storm this year,and MS and Sony will rush their consoles to market within 12 months to compete.

I have a subscription to Game Informer, they had a blurb about the next wave of consoles, and the guy giving the opinion was thinking Nintendo would have a new system ready to go by 2012. MS and Sony have also increased development staff, so we should see new Sony and MS systems by 2013. It costs a ridiculous amount of money to develop a new console, so I wouldnt be surprised if Sony and MS spend more time on development with a release late in 2013 or early 2014.

I'll wait and stick with what I have. Should be pretty interesting to see what Sony and MS do as a result of the Wii-2, but Nintendo does not have the same pull it did for me in the late 1990s.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
No, motion gaming, like touchscreens, are here to stay. Sadly. The Kinect from MS is bloody brilliant and the technology behind it is already being used for Robots (cheaper and better than what they were using) at MIT.

As the generations of this technology progress, motion gaming in the future is going to be pretty kick ass. Right now it looks like a fad and somethign that might fade away but considering how good technology progresses there is a TON of potential in the technology that could get even lazy slobs like me off the couch (although, like others have mentioned, I mostly use my 360 for Netflix streaming these days).

I think it would depend on context for motion gaming. Do you want to play a game like Mortal Kombat or Mass Effect with just motion control? It reminds me of 3D, gimmicky as all hell.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote