The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Could Elway, Shanahan be trade partners?

Could Elway, Shanahan be trade partners?

The Houston Chronicle is reporting that the Washington Redskins are trying to move up and get a quarterback.

The Denver Broncos are willing to listen to offers for their No. 2 pick. The Redskins have the No. 10 pick. The two quarterbacks who are expected to be taken before No. 10 are Auburn’s Cam Newton and Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert.

It is natural to think the John Elway and the Broncos and the Redskins and former Denver coach Mike Shanahan could be trading partners.

However, there are some obstacles to that pairing. It’s been widely believed that the Broncos would prefer to trade down no further than No. 8 to ensure they get a top defensive player.

Also, the Redskins could have difficulty moving all the way up to No. 2. According to the NFL draft trade value chart, the No. 2 pick is worth 2,600 points and the Redskins’ first two picks – No. 10 and No. 41 – would leave the Redskins about 800 points too shy. The Redskins don’t have a third or fourth-round pick. So, the Redskins would likely have to add their first-round pick in 2012 to the mix and hope Denver would be happy with it. The Broncos want help now and I think they could get a better package from Arizona (which picks No. 5) or Tennessee (No. 8) if those teams want to move up.

In a conference call this week, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay added credence to the importance of landing Newton or Gabbert for the quarterback-hungry teams.

“There are a lot of good quarterbacks in this class but not many great ones,” McShay said. “I think when you start to look at it, there’s Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, then there’s a drop off. Then it’s kind of ‘pick your poison.’”

Meanwhile, former Super Bowl-winning quarterback and current NFL analyst Phil Simms believes in Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...trade-partners
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=97762

2,000 post rule
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Lol, given everything in the past, I love how matter-of-fact some of these draft guru guys can be. Chances are, neither Gabbert or Newton will amount to much. In fact, Mallet has the most talent as a passer.

Saying there are only 'two great QB's in this class' is absurd. No one knows anything.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Washington would have to give us their 1st, 2nd, & 4th this year, and 1st & 2nd next year to make it worth our while (remember, they can't trade us any players unless a CBA miravulously comes to fruition in the next two weeks). Would Shanny really gut their next two drafts for underwhelming prospects like Newton or Gabbert, especially when they have major needs across the roster?
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Lol, given everything in the past, I love how matter-of-fact some of these draft guru guys can be. Chances are, neither Gabbert or Newton will amount to much. In fact, Mallet has the most talent as a passer.

Saying there are only 'two great QB's in this class' is absurd. No one knows anything.

Shut your mouth...lets keep the real truth on the down low...of course there are only two great QB's in this draft..............if you are a team in need of a great QB this year, remember there are only two of them...line up and give us your best offer.

ps-the only other great QB available goes by the name of KO
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Washington would have to give us their 1st, 2nd, & 4th this year, and 1st & 2nd next year to make it worth our while
I would make that trade in a heartbeat and feel really good about it. There's probably no way it happens, but Shanny did almost throw two drafts into trading up for Calvin Johnson, so who knows.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If this happened I'd talk to STL if Julio Jones is available. Should we be concerned about Fairley, if Tenn doesn't take Fairley at 8?
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
If this happened I'd talk to STL if Julio Jones is available. Should we be concerned about Fairley, if Tenn doesn't take Fairley at 8?
I would too. And, I would target Liuget. I'd be scared to death to take Fairley. We could stay at 10 and take Jordan as well.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Whose steakhouse would they go to and discuss parameters?
SpringStein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Good one Dad congrats on 2500 when you post next.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
Neutral ground - Outback.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Actually, that is exactly what I see happening - Rams trading up with Skins to nab Julio.
SpringStein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post

I saw a FEW of Gabbert's games and I wasn't impressed.........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Neutral ground - Outback.
I was thinking Del Frisco's

That place served the best steak I ever had.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
I saw a FEW of Gabbert's games and I wasn't impressed.........
Agreed.

I don't follow the college game as closely as the pros, but I had never even heard of him until late in the year.

But hey, if someone wants to trade the Broncos the farm for him, giddyup!
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I would fking hate to need a QB this year. There isn't a single guy I'd "really" want.

Probably Mallet is my favorite of the bunch, but they're all sub par.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Agreed.

I don't follow the college game as closely as the pros, but I had never even heard of him until late in the year.
That doesn't really mean anything, though. People who watched prospects knew who he was, I think he was rated as the #1 pro-style QB in the nation coming out of high school. I follow Missouri, and he's every bit the prospect many other recent top 10 quarterbacks were and better, I think, than quite a few. His stats and stuff don't speak to it, and he's got some flaws (holding the ball too long, taking stupid risks, etc), but as a prospect he has all the measurables and talent to become a great NFL quarterback.

I'd still cry if we took him or any other early QB, but it's not like Gabbert is just being tossed into the first round because Luck didn't declare or anything.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
While good in theory, STL would have almost no incentive to do this. If Denver did flip with Washington and Jones was still on the board at #10 ...There's almost no chance that he would not fall to the Rams anyway.

Better to just take the best DE in that spot, let Jones fall to STL (So they pass on Liuget), hope Liuget falls and try to trade up with NE who is reportedly shopping #28....Before Chicago takes Liuget at 29. I'd trade 46 & 67 all day to move up to 28 if Liuget were on the board and Denver didn't draft Dareus in the 1st.

#10 (via Washington) Cameron Jordan DE
#28 (via NE) Corey Liuget DT
#36 Austin/Paea DT
#41 (via Washington) Carter/Foster LB

All that and still have the 'Skins 2012 1st?....**** me, I'd gladly pass on Peterson/Miller/Dareus for that. You want front 7 help? There's your front 7 help.

Madden drafting is fun!
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by d:-| View Post
While good in theory, STL would have almost no incentive to do this. If Denver did flip with Washington and Jones was still on the board at #10 ...There's almost no chance that he would not fall to the Rams anyway.

Better to just take the best DE in that spot, let Jones fall to STL (So they pass on Liuget), hope Liuget falls and try to trade up with NE who is reportedly shopping #28....Before Chicago takes Liuget at 29. I'd trade 46 & 67 all day to move up to 28 if Liuget were on the board and Denver didn't draft Dareus in the 1st.

#10 (via Washington) Cameron Jordan DE
#28 (via NE) Corey Liuget DT
#36 Austin/Paea DT
#41 (via Washington) Carter/Foster LB

All that and still have the 'Skins 2012 1st?....**** me, I'd gladly pass on Peterson/Miller/Dareus for that. You want front 7 help? There's your front 7 help.

Madden drafting is fun!
I wonder if the Cardinals would be interested in moving up to #2 to grab a qb, I have heard a bunch of stuff about AZ wanting to draft a QB high. We could drop back a couple spots and stock pile some picks.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #20
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I wonder if the Cardinals would be interested in moving up to #2 to grab a qb, I have heard a bunch of stuff about AZ wanting to draft a QB high. We could drop back a couple spots and stock pile some picks.
Suck a d!ck space boy. If you don't like draft speculation....Maybe April posting/reading isn't for you.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Report: Skins actually looking to trade down

According to CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco, the Redskins are actually looking to trade down -- not up -- with Florida State's Christian Ponder and TCU's Andy Dalton in their sights.

It's disinformation season, which of course means conflicting reports. The Redskins have been connected to Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett and even Colin Kaepernick, but this is the first we've heard of interest in Ponder and Dalton. With GM Bruce Allen missing a third-round pick, trading down makes more sense than moving up. Prisco hears that one team with an interest in moving up to No. 10 is New England, perhaps with an eye on Ryan Kerrigan or Julio Jones.
Source: CBSSports.com
Apr 17, 7:23 PM
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #22
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Suck a d!ck space boy. If you don't like draft speculation....Maybe April posting/reading isn't for you.
Whoa overreaction...
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote