The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,891

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Paige: Broncos' new triumvirate has no room for erratum

Paige: Broncos' new triumvirate has no room for erratum


By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/15/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT


In the tradition of the Roman alliance of Julius Caesar, Pompey the Great and Marcus Crassus, the Broncos' new triumvirate will confront its first true challenge of power in two weeks.


John Elway, John Fox and Brian Xanders feel a draft.


Elway has to prove he can achieve as a football executive what he did as a football player; Fox has to prove he again can be a winning NFL coach; and Xanders has to prove, given authority as general manager he didn't have in the previous regime, that he knows what he's doing.


The trio all equal, except as we learned from "Animal Farm," one is more equal than the other two can go safe with the second pick and select defensive tackle Marcell Dareus or cornerback Patrick Peterson, both of whom spent Wednesday at Dove Valley. Or they can take a risk and trade down in the first round and get perhaps a third second-round choice. Or, they can act weird and grab yet another quarterback.


They must choose wisely.


Truth is, the Broncos, with a football dictatorship, generally chose poorly overall in their drafts over the past decade.


As a point of reference, all 11 offensive starters for the world champion Packers were their own draft choices. Green Bay handpicked 17 of its 22 starters and nine reserves. The Packers' Super Bowl opponents, the Steelers, drafted 18 of their 22 starters.


Denver's triumvirate fully recognizes that this franchise must be supplemented and rebuilt primarily in the draft not with aging free agents, trades, smoke and mirrors.


Only three projected starters on defense D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil and Robert Ayers were drafted by the Broncos. Seven, or possibly eight, offensive starters (depending on the status of Tim Tebow) were taken in drafts by Mike Shanahan and Josh McDaniels, but there are serious questions about six, possibly seven. Four are offensive linemen Ryan Clady, Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton and Chris Kuper. (Another, tackle Ryan Harris, is in nomad land as a free agent.)


The others are fullback Spencer Larsen (drafted as a linebacker), wide receiver Eddie Royal and running back Knowshon Moreno.


The Broncos have only 20 players they drafted on the offseason roster. Only Dumervil and Clady have played in the Pro Bowl. (In the 2000s, the Broncos traded away four drafted players who have made the Pro Bowl Clinton Portis, Deltha O'Neal, Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler.)


Only one player of 50 drafted by the Broncos from 2000 to 2005 remains on the team. Williams was picked in the first round of '04. Only four others (Clady, Dumervil, Kuper and Royal) are left from the Shanahan era. (Darrent Williams, their top pick in '05, was murdered Jan. 1, 2007.)


Shanahan's drafts from 2000 to 2008 were marred by too few picks in some drafts (only four choices in '07 and six in two other years) and too many mistakes: George Foster, Willie Middlebrooks and Jarvis Moss as first-rounders; Kenoy Kennedy, Paul Toviessi, Terry Pierce and Tim Crowder as second- rounders; and the infamous Maurice Clarett as a third- rounder.


McDaniels' two drafts can't be evaluated completely, but 13 of 19 picks are on the roster today. I wrote after his first draft that if his first two selections, Moreno and Ayers, didn't become immediate impact players, he wouldn't last beyond two seasons. Neither become an impact player, and McD didn't last two full seasons, for myriad reasons. Most coaches and executives with the organization later regretted both picks because Moreno turned out to be soft, mediocre, oft-injured and a nuisance in the locker room, and Ayers has been an average linebacker now switching to defensive end.


McDaniels traded or released 10 of Shanahan's picks, and traded or released five of his own





for the rest....http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_1...%3A+Broncos%29
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,774

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Recipe for immediate success:

DT
Go after and secure Brandon Mebane. Acquire another DT who fits Fox's plans...John Henderson is out there. Someone like him who can be rotated with other players could be helpful. Use the first second-rounder to select t he top DT on the board.

DE
Dumervil returns. Ayers is moved outside. The guy drafted at #2 occasionally pass rushes in the rotation.

LB
Draft Von Miller. Done.

S
Use 2b to draft the top safety on the board. Sign Tom Zibikowski or someone similar.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,782

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Im going back an forth between Miller/Dareus...or Fairley/Bowers after a trade down. Wish we could just trade the 2 pick to Detroit for Suh straight up.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

cosell just said that the top 3 RBs this year are better prospects than moreno was, and none of them may go in the first round this year. that pick kind of makes me sad in retrospect.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,949

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy
Default

Xanders will get the blame and the axe in the event of draftfail.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 10,789
Default

hopefully we can end up with some impact players for a long time. this draft cannot have any busts or it will set us back.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
NUB
Just Crafted
 
NUB's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,527

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Only one player of 50 drafted by the Broncos from 2000 to 2005 remains on the team.
This was eye-catching.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,268

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

woodrow, again ahead of the curve with this article... not.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Im going back an forth between Miller/Dareus...or Fairley/Bowers after a trade down. Wish we could just trade the 2 pick to Detroit for Suh straight up.
Haven't read the news much lately, eh? Bowers will be lucky to be taken in round 1.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Recipe for immediate success:

DT
Go after and secure Brandon Mebane. Acquire another DT who fits Fox's plans...John Henderson is out there. Someone like him who can be rotated with other players could be helpful. Use the first second-rounder to select t he top DT on the board.

DE
Dumervil returns. Ayers is moved outside. The guy drafted at #2 occasionally pass rushes in the rotation.

LB
Draft Von Miller. Done.

S
Use 2b to draft the top safety on the board. Sign Tom Zibikowski or someone similar.
Also, not sucking. Example: not letting Arizona's kicker beat you by himself. Literally.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
JDB7821
Seasoned Veteran
 
JDB7821's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 402

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

I follow the Broncos as much as possible, but can someone explain how Moreno has become a nuisance in the locker room? I never caught any news of that.
JDB7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,796

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

There sure hasn't been a lot to brag about regarding Bronco drafts since 1990, actually.

We never really put together a core of good players from the drafts. We had some bigtime hits, but mostly the teams were put together with FA's and trades.

Draft hits since 1990:

Shannon Sharpe,1990, released to FA
Keith Traylor, 1991 (3rd rounder, but released after two years, came back in FA and went on to play 17 years in the NFL)
Mike Croel, 1991 (#4 overall pick. 20 sacks his first 3 yrs in the NFL. Short career)
Shane Dronett, 1992 2nd round, 44 sacks, 3 INT's, nine year career.
Jason Elam, 1993 3rd round
Tom Nalen, 1994 7th round
Terrell Davis, 1995
Tory James, 1996 2nd round, 39 INT's, 10 year NFL career, released to FA
John Mobley, 1996 #15 overall, I'll mention him as kind of good. 8 year career.
Trevor Pryce, 1997
Brian Griese, 1998 3rd round. You tell me if that's a hit, or not. 119 TD's, 99 INT's, 10 year career, cut.
Al Wilson, 1999, #31 overall, 5 INT's, 21 sacks, 7 year career.
Reggie Hayward, 2001, 3rd round, 39 sacks, released in FA
Clinton Portis, 2002, 2nd round, traded.
DJ Williams, 2004, #17 overall, solid but not spectacular.
Jay Cutler, 2006, pretty good, still has potential, traded.
Tony Scheffler, 2006, still has potential, traded.
Brandon Marshall, 2006, pretty good, still has potential, traded
Elvis Dumervil, 2006, pretty good, still has potential
Ryan Clady, 2008
Eddie Royal, 2008, maybe
Peyton Hillis, 2008
Moreno, 2009, maybe
Ayers, 2009, maybe

The 2010 draftees? Some of them look pretty good - Thomas, Tebow, Cox, Squid, Decker, Beadles, but hits we still don't know.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,960
Default

"Moreno turned out to be soft, mediocre, oft-injured and a nuisance in the locker room"

huh? Anyone know what 'drow is talking about?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cosell just said that the top 3 RBs this year are better prospects than moreno was, and none of them may go in the first round this year. that pick kind of makes me sad in retrospect.
Hindsight is really helpful when you want to talk about prospects.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 21,758

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Hindsight is really helpful when you want to talk about prospects.
Yeah this is dumb. The Moreno pick was not criticized from a value standpoint at the time
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I never heard that about Knowshon being a nuisance in the locker room.

I'm thinking he paper mache's the crapper or something. Maybe hogs the towels when they're fresh out of the dryer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer
 
Broncos4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 1,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
cosell just said that the top 3 RBs this year are better prospects than moreno was, and none of them may go in the first round this year. that pick kind of makes me sad in retrospect.
That is pretty sad. Definitely wasn't worth the spot. Guess McD liked the way he hurdled players on youtube.....
Broncos4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
There sure hasn't been a lot to brag about regarding Bronco drafts since 1990, actually.

We never really put together a core of good players from the drafts. We had some bigtime hits, but mostly the teams were put together with FA's and trades.

Draft hits since 1990:

Shannon Sharpe,1990, released to FA
Keith Traylor, 1991 (3rd rounder, but released after two years, came back in FA and went on to play 17 years in the NFL)
Mike Croel, 1991 (#4 overall pick. 20 sacks his first 3 yrs in the NFL. Short career)
Shane Dronett, 1992 2nd round, 44 sacks, 3 INT's, nine year career.
Jason Elam, 1993 3rd round
Tom Nalen, 1994 7th round
Terrell Davis, 1995
Tory James, 1996 2nd round, 39 INT's, 10 year NFL career, released to FA
John Mobley, 1996 #15 overall, I'll mention him as kind of good. 8 year career.
Trevor Pryce, 1997
Brian Griese, 1998 3rd round. You tell me if that's a hit, or not. 119 TD's, 99 INT's, 10 year career, cut.
Al Wilson, 1999, #31 overall, 5 INT's, 21 sacks, 7 year career.
Reggie Hayward, 2001, 3rd round, 39 sacks, released in FA
Clinton Portis, 2002, 2nd round, traded.
DJ Williams, 2004, #17 overall, solid but not spectacular.
Jay Cutler, 2006, pretty good, still has potential, traded.
Tony Scheffler, 2006, still has potential, traded.
Brandon Marshall, 2006, pretty good, still has potential, traded
Elvis Dumervil, 2006, pretty good, still has potential
Ryan Clady, 2008
Eddie Royal, 2008, maybe
Peyton Hillis, 2008
Moreno, 2009, maybe
Ayers, 2009, maybe

The 2010 draftees? Some of them look pretty good - Thomas, Tebow, Cox, Squid, Decker, Beadles, but hits we still don't know.
It also doesn't hurt that this list is terrible and inconsistent...

I like how 2x all pro, 2x pro bowler Deltha O'Neal misses the list but Ayers and Moreno get maybes (and what is the logic by including a "maybe" anyway? On that "maybe" note, F'ing Tim Crowder is a starter for the Buccs, is that "maybe"?)...

I like how guys who had really strong careers like Dan Neil, Ben Hamilton, Cooper Carlisle aren't on the list, but Reggie Hayward does.

I like how you list last year's UDFA's but don't mention a guy like Matt Lepsis.

I like how Foxworth doesn't make the list aside from being a big dollar starter for the Ravens defense.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Yeah this is dumb. The Moreno pick was not criticized from a value standpoint at the time
I don't personally recall him ever being rated as high as 12.

I tried looking back and I can't find him rated that high anywhere either.

Also, he's rated as the #2 back behind Beanie almost everywhere I look back to!

Walterfootball had him going at #26 to the Giants (behind Beanie) which sounds lower than I remember

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Mayock had him going 16 (Also behind Beanie):

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/25/mayo...ls-mock-draft/

Cbssports draft subsection has him ranked behind Beanie:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/TSX/2009

Nfldraftscout had him ranked behind Beanie:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...r=2009&genpos=

Kiper had him going 14 to the Saints here (literally the only place I could find him ranked above Beanie looking back), but he didn't crack McShay's top 16 so I have no idea where he had him going to:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...3fid%3d3972427
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #20
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

I may be wrong Rev but I think Lelo was talking about the pick not being criticized around here or even by the analysts AFTER the pick....Not where he was mocked.

Wasn't the OM consensus at the time that Knowsh at #12 was okay since Raji was gone?

I seem to recall that most here wanted one pick on O and one on D and the feeling here and nationally was that KM wouldn't have gotten past the Chuggers at #16.

Even the people that wanted Orakpo at 12 conceded that if KM was the target then it needed to be 12 or never. Even though it didn't turn out that way, I think most felt at the time that Orakpo had a better chance of falling to 18 than Moreno.

In hindsight, Moreno wasn't worth #12 but let's not forget that the (seemingly) majority of 'Maners were plenty excited to be getting a shot at a 'premier' RB for a change after years of Shanny/Turner relying on mid-late rounders......Kind of like all the people clamoring for Dareus over Peterson or Miller this year because he's the 'premier' DT and Denver hasn't historically gone that route in round 1.

That's why draft day on the 'Mane is always epic....Most here would've melted down had Denver taken Clay Mathews at 12 because he wasn't mocked that high and "ZOMG the U$C linebackers are all gonna be busts!"

Last edited by HAT; 04-16-2011 at 11:51 PM..
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #21
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB7821 View Post
I follow the Broncos as much as possible, but can someone explain how Moreno has become a nuisance in the locker room? I never caught any news of that.
I think because he was the 12th... let me repeat that, 12th overall selection and couldn't carry Olandis Gary's jock yet is a cocky little b**** that fumbles and is hurt all the time.

So it adds up.
KipCorrington25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d:-| View Post
I may be wrong Rev but I think Lelo was talking about the pick not being criticized around here or even by the analysts AFTER the pick....Not where he was mocked.

Wasn't the OM consensus at the time that Knowsh at #12 was okay since Raji was gone?

I seem to recall that most here wanted one pick on O and one on D and the feeling here and nationally was that KM wouldn't have gotten past the Chuggers at #16.

Even the people that wanted Orakpo at 12 conceded that if KM was the target then it needed to be 12 or never. Even though it didn't turn out that way, I think most felt at the time that Orakpo had a better chance of falling to 18 than Moreno.

In hindsight, Moreno wasn't worth #12 but let's not forget that the (seemingly) majority of 'Maners were plenty excited to be getting a shot at a 'premier' RB for a change after years of Shanny/Turner relying on mid-late rounders......Kind of like all the people clamoring for Dareus over Peterson or Miller this year because he's the 'premier' DT and Denver hasn't historically gone that route in round 1.

That's why draft day on the 'Mane is always epic....Most here would've melted down had Denver taken Clay Mathews at 12 because he wasn't mocked that high and "ZOMG the U$C linebackers are all gonna be busts!"
Man the defense would be SO much better off if we'd taken Clay at 12, Cushing at 18 and Rey with the Alphonso pick.

Cushing, DJ, Rey and Clay... that's a stacked ass group of LB'ers that Wink couldn't even have failed with.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer
 
Bronco Rob's Avatar
 
The Alpha & The Omega

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 4,891

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I don't personally recall him ever being rated as high as 12.

I tried looking back and I can't find him rated that high anywhere either.

Also, he's rated as the #2 back behind Beanie almost everywhere I look back to!

Walterfootball had him going at #26 to the Giants (behind Beanie) which sounds lower than I remember

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009.php

Mayock had him going 16 (Also behind Beanie):

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/25/mayo...ls-mock-draft/

Cbssports draft subsection has him ranked behind Beanie:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...kings/TSX/2009

Nfldraftscout had him ranked behind Beanie:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...r=2009&genpos=

Kiper had him going 14 to the Saints here (literally the only place I could find him ranked above Beanie looking back), but he didn't crack McShay's top 16 so I have no idea where he had him going to:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...3fid%3d3972427
to be fair, atleast him being picked ahead of wells can be justified now...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer
 
Missouribronc's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,670

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
I think because he was the 12th... let me repeat that, 12th overall selection and couldn't carry Olandis Gary's jock yet is a cocky little b**** that fumbles and is hurt all the time.

So it adds up.
Are you really this stupid?
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Denver Broncos