The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default The Denver Broncos’ “leadership” under Josh McDaniels was so poor that owner Pat Bowlen had to fire

Team needs: Denver Broncos

The Denver Broncos’ “leadership” under Josh McDaniels was so poor that owner Pat Bowlen had to fire the alleged offensive mastermind on December 6 of last season. (Bowlen did it on Twitter.)

Left behind was a depleted roster, and hired to replace McDaniels is ex-Panthers coach John Fox. Along with new V.P. of Player Personnel John Elway, Fox will attempt to reestablish a once-proud organization that devolved into a laughingstock under “McD.”

DT: Here’s how Denver’s defensive tackle depth chart reads: Free agent (possibly restricted) Ryan McBean, Kevin Vickerson, Louis Leonard, Mitch Unrein. How many of those guys have you heard of? They’ve combined for 4.5 career sacks, 3.5 of them from six-year veteran Vickerson. It’s easily the worst interior line in football, making Alabama’s Marcell Dareus the Broncos’ obvious choice at No. 2 overall. Value meets need there, to perfection.

LB: The Broncos need help throughout the front seven. D.J. Williams is their only surefire starting linebacker, probably on the weak side. Schematic shift from McDaniels’ old 3-4 to Fox’s 4-3 leaves an abundance of question marks. Is Wesley Woodyard (6-foot, 220) big enough to be an every-down strong-side linebacker? Can Mario Haggan man the middle after playing mostly outside linebacker in a 3-4 the past two seasons? The switch to a new defensive alignment, at least at first glance, has created even more problems.

DB: Denver’s cornerbacks are solid with newly re-signed Champ Bailey at left corner, and Andre’ Goodman battling promising if arrest-prone second-year player Perrish Cox on the right. But Brian Dawkins was one of the poorest coverage safeties in football last season, is entering his age-38 campaign, and has a $6 million salary. We’d have more faith in former second-round pick Darcel McBath as Dawkins’ replacement if McBath could stay off the shelf. To this point, he hasn’t.

OT: The Broncos have one of the league’s better young left tackles in Ryan Clady, and promising interior pieces in Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton, and Chris Kuper. They’re expected to part with free agent right tackle Ryan Harris, however, and replace him with a better run blocker on the strong side.

Overview: Fox and Elway have a hole-filled roster. They could also use upgrades at tight end, running back behind Knowshon Moreno, and arguably defensive end. A traditional, lead-blocking fullback is needed for Fox’s run-heavy philosophy.

And that’s exactly why the Broncos are smokescreening interest in quarterbacks. Elway and Fox realize that the only way teams trade up to No. 2 is if they need signal callers. Denver drafts directly ahead of a franchise quarterback-needy Bills team, and has nothing to lose by feigning fascination with the most important position in all of pro sports. The Broncos have a long, long way to go, and could use lots more picks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...enver-broncos/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

I still would have given him more than 1.5 seasons. John fox is who u replace him with? lol
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Incoming 10 page thread defending McDaniels that will ultimately branch into anti-Shanahan or anti-Cutler.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Incoming 10 page thread defending McDaniels that will ultimately branch into anti-Shanahan or anti-Cutler.
on this forum, if you like mcdaniels, you immediately hate and disrespect shanahan and everything he has ever done.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
on this forum, if you like mcdaniels, you immediately hate and disrespect shanahan and everything he has ever done.
After the complete and total destruction he has done to this roster one would almost be inclined to question whether a mcdaniels fan can also be a Broncos fan.

Kind of like I hate the Raiders so I hope Al gets 20 more years to run them. Or I wish Carl Peterson were still in charge of the Queefs. Raiders, Queefs, and Charger fans LOVE McDaniels.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
After the complete and total destruction he has done to this roster one would almost be inclined to question whether a mcdaniels fan can also be a Broncos fan.

Kind of like I hate the Raiders so I hope Al gets 20 more years to run them. Or I wish Carl Peterson were still in charge of the Queefs. Raiders, Queefs, and Charger fans LOVE McDaniels.

no really need to get into this again, but the roster now isnt much better or worse than it was when he was signed on to the team.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

McDaniels Sucked overall.

Shanahan Sucked in the end.

Let's move on, shall we?
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post

Let's move on, shall we?
i still like mcdaniels, and there is no way to disagree with this.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
i still like mcdaniels, and there is no way to disagree with this.
Fine. You liking him doesn't chance the fact that his legacy in Denver will be one of utter suck.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I still would have given him more than 1.5 seasons. John fox is who u replace him with? lol
Why? Most of the fans hated McD, most of the local media despised him, heck I believe even Bowlen despised him by the end. And I didn't see a lot of players shedding tears, either.

As for Fox, he has a good pedigree.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Fine. You liking him doesn't chance the fact that his legacy in Denver will be one of utter suck.
are you serious? read my post again, this time the whole thing, I AGREED WITH YOU
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
no really need to get into this again, but the roster now isnt much better or worse than it was when he was signed on to the team.
Thats total bull****, the '08 roster was much more talented and performed much better than the 2010 one, but no need to get into that again.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aha
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Thats total bull****, the '08 roster was much more talented and performed much better than the 2010 one, but no need to get into that again.
thats true, they did.
talented though?

definitely dont have the time to do this debate again, and no one is ever, ever going to change their mind on this subject because they havent for the last 2 years.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
thats true, they did.
talented though?

definitely dont have the time to do this debate again, and no one is ever, ever going to change their mind on this subject because they havent for the last 2 years.
Name one position that got upgraded? Quite frankly, I'd say the only spot on the field we got better at was S. Maybe you can say RB, but he spent so much time on the bench it becomes a Ball/Buckhalter vs Hillis/Young/Pittman debate

The BEST players on the team are all Shanahan holdovers: Champ, Elvis, Clady, DJ. Though clearly NOT McD's fault, Elvis is coming off a significant injury so will probably be worse than post 2008 form, and all are 2 years older from having a ****ty coach waste their time.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

How anyone can continue defending the worst coach in the history of the franchise is beyond me. They remind me of abused women who remain loyal to their abuser.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
How anyone can continue defending the worst coach in the history of the franchise is beyond me. They remind me of abused women who remain loyal to their abuser.
It's no big deal. As soon as someone posts differently on twitter, he'll change his "mind"
Old 04-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #18
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

coaching wasn't the main issue with McDaniels. he can coach. he's just a painfully crappy GM & talent evaluator.

if he had a strong GM instead of having been given all that power he might still be the HC and we might not be picking #2 overall.
that said, he failed miserably at the helm over the last 20+ games or so.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Name one position that got upgraded? Quite frankly, I'd say the only spot on the field we got better at was S. Maybe you can say RB, but he spent so much time on the bench it becomes a Ball/Buckhalter vs Hillis/Young/Pittman debate

The BEST players on the team are all Shanahan holdovers: Champ, Elvis, Clady, DJ. Though clearly NOT McD's fault, Elvis is coming off a significant injury so will probably be worse than post 2008 form, and all are 2 years older from having a ****ty coach waste their time.
Eh, you just named two, safety and (maybe) RB.

WR pops into mind right away. Thomas, Decker, Willis, those three might end up being a pretty solid corps to go along with the Shanny holdover Lloyd.

OL - Naturally, Beadles, Walton, Hochstein, Olsen have to pan out. But there's some room for optimism.

LB - no improvement there.

DE - Ayers, maybe McBean and Hunter.

DT - Bleh.

ST's - solid improvement with McBath, Bruton, Squid.

CB - Maybe better with Cox, Squid, Goodman. But Phonz drags it down some.

TE - no improvement.

QB - TBD.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

LB, RB, WR, S....

i think you missed hte part where i said the collective talent didnt change much, the play on the field did. i thought that was obvious, but apparently not. but like i said, this argument is pointless since its happened on this forum atleast 100x in the past 2 years, and no one is changing their mind.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
LB, RB, WR, S....

i think you missed hte part where i said the collective talent didnt change much, the play on the field did. i thought that was obvious, but apparently not. but like i said, this argument is pointless since its happened on this forum atleast 100x in the past 2 years, and no one is changing their mind.

Haggan and Woodyard, our only possible other 2 projected starters are the moment, are from the Shanahan era.

WR is just as ridiculous
Old 04-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
LB still sucks now, i guess especially with a move back to 4-3 and ayers moving to DL its bad again. WR though, with thomas showing huge potential though prolly out for most of 2011 season, and lloyd blowing up, with willis, decker in back, its hard to not like this WR corp more than any this team has seen in quite a few years. TE is once again horrible however, so that drops value of recieving corps as a whole.

i think you are taking what i said wrong. i didnt say mcdaniels significantly upgraded or destroyed the roster, i said:

Quote:
but the roster now isnt much better or worse than it was when he was signed on to the team.
that its not much different now in terms of collective talent, so saying he destroyed the team is silly, as is saying he made them world beaters.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
LB still sucks now, i guess especially with a move back to 4-3 and ayers moving to DL its bad again. WR though, with thomas showing huge potential though prolly out for most of 2011 season, and lloyd blowing up, with willis, decker in back, its hard to not like this WR corp more than any this team has seen in quite a few years. TE is once again horrible however, so that drops value of recieving corps as a whole.

i think you are taking what i said wrong. i didnt say mcdaniels significantly upgraded or destroyed the roster, i said:

that its not much different now in terms of collective talent, so saying he destroyed the team is silly, as is saying he made them world beaters.
I'll take Marshall, useful Royal, Stokely and Scheffler as a receiving option over Lloyd, Gaffney, Thomas on the bench, the poor version of Royal and Decker all day.

He removed two of our pro bowl players at premier positions for a load of draftpicks and freed up cap room from the pending contract extensions and replaced them with....?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
shocking!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:

Let's move on, shall we?
We did....To the coach of the team who finished with a worse record. Bowlen is a ****ing idiot for not giving McD (or any hire) 3 years.

Should of hired Koetter when they had the chance.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote