The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #2351
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Is Varys a Targaryen?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #2352
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Is Varys a Targaryen?

There's a theory that says he's somehow related to the Targaryens through the Blackfyres, but it's also possible that he really is just doing what he considers best for the realm in the long run.

Or it could be both.

There's no particular reason for him to lie to Kevan as Kevan is dying, and he explains that he wants to see a King who has been properly raised and educated and will do better and more humane job of managing things. That would supposedly be Prince Aegon.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #2353
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I would say that OD has out geeked TJ and Rev on this thread. I vote would we rename him ColdDude and move forward.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #2354
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler

Want some gatorade?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

Alright guys. I'm about halfway through ASoS. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I figured I would bring it up. Has to do with R + L = J.

So I'm reading the chapter where Arya is talking to Edric/Ned Dayne. Its said Ned has that silvery/blonde hair and purple eyes which just shouts "Targaryen" to me. Ned also says that he and Jon nursed from the same woman, Wylla.

My first thought was they're brothers, but Ned is only 12 years old and Jon is 14/15. So what is Ned's place in the R + L = J theory? Is he some kind of half-brother or cousin to Jon? Is this Wylla part of some group trying to preserve the Targ bloodline? The Wylla connection, and Targaryen traits, seem like too big of a coincidence to me.

And I'm not finished with ASoS, so no major spoilers por favor.

If you can't answer without spoilers then don't bother.

Last edited by ShiftyEyedWaterboy; 05-02-2014 at 09:30 PM..
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #2355
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Really enjoying reading through all your theories Rev, OD & others. Keep em coming. I like to think I'm pretty immersed in the ASOIAF universe and you've brought ideas to my attention that I've never really considered, namely the Aegon Blackfyre train of thought.
The only hard time I have with aegon being the culmination of a Varys/Illirio blackfyre conspiracy is why give the eggs to Dany then?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #2356
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Spiderman was ****ing awesome
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #2357
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Agreed. Went in with very low expectations because the reviews have not been good, but it was highly enjoyable.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #2358
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

the first one was great, but I am tired of the origin stories.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #2359
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm surprised by your enthusiasm for such a minor bloodline, as House Webber can attest to being.

I'm also curious as to how watching the hipster reboot of Spiderman's sequel was an impetus to posting your praise for it in this particular thread.

Last edited by myMind; 05-03-2014 at 12:29 AM..
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #2360
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Alright guys. I'm about halfway through ASoS. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I figured I would bring it up. Has to do with R + L = J.

So I'm reading the chapter where Arya is talking to Edric/Ned Dayne. Its said Ned has that silvery/blonde hair and purple eyes which just shouts "Targaryen" to me. Ned also says that he and Jon nursed from the same woman, Wylla.

My first thought was they're brothers, but Ned is only 12 years old and Jon is 14/15. So what is Ned's place in the R + L = J theory? Is he some kind of half-brother or cousin to Jon? Is this Wylla part of some group trying to preserve the Targ bloodline? The Wylla connection, and Targaryen traits, seem like too big of a coincidence to me.

And I'm not finished with ASoS, so no major spoilers por favor.

If you can't answer without spoilers then don't bother.
My main issue with the R+L=J theory is Ned Stark's actions locating Robert's bastards. He goes through a lot of trouble for this issue when he has suspicion the previous hand of the king was killed for looking into the same thing. Yet, if the theory is true, why go through all the trouble of finding the bastards because, wouldn't Jon have the most legitimacy as the next rightful king?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #2361
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler

Want some gatorade?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
My main issue with the R+L=J theory is Ned Stark's actions locating Robert's bastards. He goes through a lot of trouble for this issue when he has suspicion the previous hand of the king was killed for looking into the same thing. Yet, if the theory is true, why go through all the trouble of finding the bastards because, wouldn't Jon have the most legitimacy as the next rightful king?
I suppose it depends on whether or not Rhaegar wed Lyanna. If he didn't Jon is still a bastard either way. Or maybe they did wed and Ned was trying to avoid a huge war, which surely would have happend if he tried to put Jon on the throne, bastard or not.

I can't remember exactly but I think Jon Arryn suspected that Joff/Tommen/Myrcella weren't Robert's children. So he looked for the bastards to see what they looked like and whether or not they favored Cersei's kids. If they didn't it would lend credence to his suspicions that Joff and the others weren't Robert's. I don't think Ned had any intention of putting any of them on the throne. He was just following Arryn's trail. He ended up supporting Stannis' claim in the end.

EDIT: I don't think Jon would have a claim either way since the Targ's were deposed. At least not anymore than Dany does. Assuming he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna; the only thing going public with the fact would do is unite the kingdoms to kill Jon most likely.

EDIT2: Also, if Rhaegar is Jon's father and he did wed Lyanna, this makes Jon the heir to the Targ throne and not Dany right?

Last edited by ShiftyEyedWaterboy; 05-03-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Old 05-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #2362
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
I suppose it depends on whether or not Rhaegar wed Lyanna. If he didn't Jon is still a bastard either way. Or maybe they did wed and Ned was trying to avoid a huge war, which surely would have happend if he tried to put Jon on the throne, bastard or not.

I can't remember exactly but I think Jon Arryn suspected that Joff/Tommen/Myrcella weren't Robert's children. So he looked for the bastards to see what they looked like and whether or not they favored Cersei's kids. If they didn't it would lend credence to his suspicions that Joff and the others weren't Robert's. I don't think Ned had any intention of putting any of them on the throne. He was just following Arryn's trail. He ended up supporting Stannis' claim in the end.

EDIT: I don't think Jon would have a claim either way since the Targ's were deposed. At least not anymore than Dany does. Assuming he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna; the only thing going public with the fact would do is unite the kingdoms to kill Jon most likely.

EDIT2: Also, if Rhaegar is Jon's father and he did wed Lyanna, this makes Jon the heir to the Targ throne and not Dany right?
That was my thinking. I had it in my head that Rhaegar had married Lyanna and had Jon. Which I believe would make Jon the more credible Targaryan heir. I think Dany's main claim is that she believes she is the last Targaryan. she was little more than a bargaining chip when her brother was alive, because she wasn't a legitimate possible successor.

I think if there were another male child of Rhaegar I think that child regardless of age would be the rightful heir. It seems in the GOT series that the male offspring are the only ones who are born into the line of succession. Females are not counted. So if Jon is Rhaegar's than his claim trumps Dany's
Old 05-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #2363
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler

Want some gatorade?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
That was my thinking. I had it in my head that Rhaegar had married Lyanna and had Jon. Which I believe would make Jon the more credible Targaryan heir. I think Dany's main claim is that she believes she is the last Targaryan. she was little more than a bargaining chip when her brother was alive, because she wasn't a legitimate possible successor.

I think if there were another male child of Rhaegar I think that child regardless of age would be the rightful heir. It seems in the GOT series that the male offspring are the only ones who are born into the line of succession. Females are not counted. So if Jon is Rhaegar's than his claim trumps Dany's
Will be interesting to see where GRRM goes with this. I can't see Jon on the throne personally. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get 86'd in some epic battle in the north or something. I haven't even finished ASoS yet but the wait for the next book will be hell.

Wake me up when TWoW is here.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #2364
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
. I haven't even finished ASoS yet but the wait for the next book will be hell.

Wake me up when TWoW is here.

Welcome to my reality. I am all for organizing some sort of armed militia to sit guard while Martin cranks out the remainder of the story. Maybe the dude in Nevada is up for it.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #2365
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler

Want some gatorade?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Welcome to my reality. I am all for organizing some sort of armed militia to sit guard while Martin cranks out the remainder of the story. Maybe the dude in Nevada is up for it.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #2366
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

Of all the crazy messed up acts of violence and depravity I have seen in movies and online that scene from Misery still bothers me the most.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #2367
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Good episode I thought. Seemed like a lot of filler for a bit but the last 20 minutes were great. Definitely enjoyed seeing the sword go through Willam Defoe Jr's mouth.
Bronc0guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #2368
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:

Dude. Ouch.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #2369
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:

It hurts me every time I see that clip. I literally want to b**** slap Kathy Bates for no damn reason. Just straight cock it back and slap the skin off her.

As far as GOT goes. That was a pretty good episode. When Jon ran that sword through his head and out his mouth I almost died laughing.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #2370
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler

Want some gatorade?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
It hurts me every time I see that clip. I literally want to b**** slap Kathy Bates for no damn reason. Just straight cock it back and slap the skin off her.
Yeah its a brutal scene. One of my favorite SK novels/movies. Bates just owned that role.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #2371
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Yeah its a brutal scene. One of my favorite SK novels/movies. Bates just owned that role.
Chilling. Actors scare me when they play a deranged role so well.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #2372
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Pro Bowler

Want some gatorade?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

Has this been posted yet? What do you guys think of the new Mountain? His name is Hafţór Júlíus Björnsson.

Kinda wish they woulda kept Ian Whyte on as him.

Whyte's Mountain just oozed that educated, psychotic, nobleman feel. I can totally see him picking up the Hound and shoving his face in a fire without saying a word or batting an eyelash.

I'm worried the new guy will just come across as some roid-raging meathead that Tywin picked up off the street. Hope he's more like Whyte than the first guy.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #2373
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Snow is my fav character. I didn't like the last fight scene, it made him look like a wuss.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #2374
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Snow is my fav character. I didn't like the last fight scene, it made him look like a wuss.
He did pretty much get punked.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:53 AM   #2375
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I dug it. It showed a chief weakness he has... This scene wasn't in the book but I think it adds a lot to the character.

I like that scene juxtaposed with the Arya/Hound scene. I'm going to enjoy marinating and deconstructing the meaning hidden between those two scenes...

The changes they've made thus far to the book have added more than they've taken away, IMO. That scene with Jojen was mind blowing for book readers. If I'm not mistaken, it completely blew up one of Rev's favorite theories...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote