The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #2076
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Pretty big fan of Lena as Cersei. Opinions always vary person to person, but for me, she nails it. I'm pretty happy with all the castings. Bran and Peter are the two that didn't fit the images and personalities I've had in my head over the years, and they annoy me. Peter probably the worst, but everyone seems to love that actor. He just doesn't look right nor play the part right for me. Bran simply doesn't look like a Stark. He doesn't have that ruggedness. And it's even worse now that he's hit puberty and grown six feet.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #2077
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Pretty big fan of Lena as Cersei. Opinions always vary person to person, but for me, she nails it. I'm pretty happy with all the castings. Bran and Peter are the two that didn't fit the images and personalities I've had in my head over the years, and they annoy me. Peter probably the worst, but everyone seems to love that actor. He just doesn't look right nor play the part right for me. Bran simply doesn't look like a Stark. He doesn't have that ruggedness. And it's even worse now that he's hit puberty and grown six feet.
Bran is the man. Hooooooooooooodoooooooooooooooor.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #2078
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Or better yet his b**** mother....everything...and I mean everything wrong with that country's leadership is a direct result of his mother ****ing it up...with her brother....lol
She is just getting started ****ing up the country. She takes it to a new level in the books to come.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #2079
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
She is just getting started ****ing up the country. She takes it to a new level in the books to come.
I cannot wait til the walk of shame.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #2080
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Agreed. Of all the storylines going on, Bran's is the only one I really don't care about.
This is one of the biggest issues I have with the show. Bran is a top three POV character in the books for me, in the show they barely scratch the surface of who he is and the journey he is taking. I also don't really like the actor who plays Bran, and it's pretty obvious the kid dropped a sack and sprouted some pubes...which Bran doesn't...cause he's like eight.

I will also be extremely upset if Bran's TV storyline catches up to the book this season and the writers start telling the story for Martin from what he has told them. I'd honestly have to stop watching, no question.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #2081
extralife
Ring of Famer

I think the show has generally done a good job of taking a giant series of books full of elongated **** that shouldn't be there and trimming it down to a compelling, manageable core. No ****s are given about Bran and his rip-off journey, so the less the better. #hater

Lena Headey carries every scene she's in. She's the best actor in the show.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #2082
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I think the show has generally done a good job of taking a giant series of books full of elongated **** that shouldn't be there and trimming it down to a compelling, manageable core. No ****s are given about Bran and his rip-off journey, so the less the better. #hater
Rip-off is an interesting term, seeing as the journey isn't finished yet. Regardless, I get the feeling that you lack the attention span required to read a book over two hundred pages.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #2083
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Man, I think every word of those books is critical to understanding what the hell is going on. Minus the food descriptions - well, except where the Frey Pie is concerned, you've got to read that part carefully to fully appreciate what it is that is being eaten. And even then, you don't really understand it without the context that is provided in what might seem as unecessarily "elongated" stuff, but actually critical plot clues.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #2084
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

Can you give us some excerpts from the Frey Pie experience?
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #2085
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
This is one of the biggest issues I have with the show. Bran is a top three POV character in the books for me, in the show they barely scratch the surface of who he is and the journey he is taking. I also don't really like the actor who plays Bran, and it's pretty obvious the kid dropped a sack and sprouted some pubes...which Bran doesn't...cause he's like eight.

I will also be extremely upset if Bran's TV storyline catches up to the book this season and the writers start telling the story for Martin from what he has told them. I'd honestly have to stop watching, no question.
What more could they show from Bran's storyline? They've hit all the major points. They'll spend some time this season on the journey there. I suppose they've got to introduce Coldhands... That's the part I'm most interested in seeing how they handle. And then the season will end with Bran reaching the tree. Then I'd expect season five to follow Bran's schooling by the children of the forest and Brynden Rivers.

Now here is my theory of what happens with Bran's storyline after Season 5... I'm trying to figure out how they might work this exactly, but we all know that at the rate the show is going, HBO is going to catch up with the books. But there's a lot of story to tell without running over GRRM, and the way to stitch this together is through Bran's experience with Blood Raven and greenseeing.

I expect the last thing we see of Bran in season 5 will be the vision where he sees Ned bring back Jon Snow. But there is more - Bran continues to see further and further back into the past. So why not extrapolate that over an entire season to show the roots of Robert's Rebellion? Of course, that's a huge risk and it might take at least two seasons to do. The more I think about it, the more logistically difficult it sounds. But I still like the idea. Nothing like it has ever happened in television history - they'd have to replace the entire cast for a season or two, and then get them all back.

Forget it... as awesome as it sounds to me, it's probably not possible.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #2086
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
Rip-off is an interesting term, seeing as the journey isn't finished yet. Regardless, I get the feeling that you lack the attention span required to read a book over two hundred pages.
I was a lit student. I've read Ulysses several times. I'm writing a novel. Try again.

Bran is a half-assed Frodo. I'd rather we just go no-ass.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #2087
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
What more could they show from Bran's storyline? They've hit all the major points. They'll spend some time this season on the journey there. I suppose they've got to introduce Coldhands... That's the part I'm most interested in seeing how they handle. And then the season will end with Bran reaching the tree. Then I'd expect season five to follow Bran's schooling by the children of the forest and Brynden Rivers.

Now here is my theory of what happens with Bran's storyline after Season 5... I'm trying to figure out how they might work this exactly, but we all know that at the rate the show is going, HBO is going to catch up with the books. But there's a lot of story to tell without running over GRRM, and the way to stitch this together is through Bran's experience with Blood Raven and greenseeing.

I expect the last thing we see of Bran in season 5 will be the vision where he sees Ned bring back Jon Snow. But there is more - Bran continues to see further and further back into the past. So why not extrapolate that over an entire season to show the roots of Robert's Rebellion? Of course, that's a huge risk and it might take at least two seasons to do. The more I think about it, the more logistically difficult it sounds. But I still like the idea. Nothing like it has ever happened in television history - they'd have to replace the entire cast for a season or two, and then get them all back.

Forget it... as awesome as it sounds to me, it's probably not possible.
Wow - that would be.. Ambitious, to say the least.

I do think there is a concerted effort afoot to rush Bran's story arc along because, as others have pointed out, that young man is growing like a weed. Once they have him safely ensconced on his "throne", it doesn't matter how big he gets. They can cover him with moss, and his facial features are all that will matter. And if his dream state, alter ego is becoming quite princely, well, all the better.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #2088
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
I was a lit student. I've read Ulysses several times. I'm writing a novel. Try again.

Meh. Not buying it. You could easily say that anyone who goes on a journey is a half-assed Frodo. But Frodo is not where Bran's story has been or is even going.

Bran's story seems to be one of a narrator who will fill in gaps for us that no other character could fill in. I supect when it's all said and done, it will be Bran who reveals Jon Snow's parentage, and other mysteries. If I'm right, Bran's character is brilliant because he allows GRRM to avoid some form of Deus ex Machina as he unfolds the tale.

The story would be worse off without Bran.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #2089
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Ulysses is a half-assed Odysseus. Oh wait...
Old 04-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #2090
extralife
Ring of Famer

I'm going to at least give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend that by "Odysseus" you actually meant "The Odyssey."

I bring up Ulysses because you decided to bring up attention span for no reason. Most people who've read all the Song of Fire and Ice books multiple times would quit on Ulysses within ten pages.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #2091
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Meh. Not buying it. You could easily say that anyone who goes on a journey is a half-assed Frodo. But Frodo is not where Bran's story has been or is even going.
he is an unassuming youngster in a fantasy novel carrying a burden (and a traveling party) into the heart of the territory of a supernatural enemy. that he is looking for something rather than traveling toward a fixed location is pretty inconsequential.

I could do without the zombies entirely, if we're making wishes.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #2092
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
he is an unassuming youngster in a fantasy novel carrying a burden (and a traveling party) into the heart of the territory of a supernatural enemy. that he is looking for something rather than traveling toward a fixed location is pretty inconsequential.

I could do without the zombies entirely, if we're making wishes.
Carrying a burden? What burden? There's no ring of power here. He is his own burden.

He's crippled kid who is having dreams that lead him to believe that he will somehow be made whole if he reaches his destination. He knows nothing of a supernatural enemy. He doesn't have any real belief that the weight of the world is on his shoulders. He's a kid who can put his thoughts into the body of his pet wolf. THAT is his real struggle right now - keeping his humanity vs. losing himself in his animal and living whole once again.

To equate this to 'Bran = Frodo, end of story' is unimpressive for someone who fancies themselves with a strong lit background. It's comically simplistic and misses so many compelling aspects that have made Bran into a favorite for so many readers.

Bran is being faced with a lot of seemingly innocuous morality questions that ultimately have more impact than he can imagine. It's nothing as cut and dried as "use the ring, become evil; destroy the ring, remain good." Bran's path is a lot more complex as he struggles with losing his identity AND losing his humanity, all while on a quest to try and become whole again. Bran isn't thinking about saving the world. He's thinking about becoming a great knight. Ultimately, he's going to be faced with the decision of losing his mortality and becoming one of the initiated old gods - a proposition that his character is struggling with coming to grips with.

I can't hardly understand how someone could hold the opinion that Bran offers nothing new to literature and he'd have best been left out of the story. He's got one of the more compelling story lines in all of fantasy writing, with dilemmas that no other character in the genre has faced, and there's still so much to learn about his decisions.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #2093
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
He's a kid who can put his thoughts into the body of his pet wolf. THAT is his real struggle right now - keeping his humanity vs. losing himself in his animal and living whole once again.
and that's the burden. it is in fact the same burden as Frodo has with the ring. when he puts on the ring, he is free. he gains powers. it feels good. but he must control himself against his baser instincts, lest he lose his humanity. sound familiar? he even has one companion who understands, same as Bran.

and Bran is constantly being told that he's important.

to me, it's a bore. it's tacked on to a world that doesn't need it, which is how I feel about everything in the series involving zombies and Dire Fates and Blah and Magic and More Blah Gods Blah Blah Spooky Foreshadowing

unfortunately it's all sitting there in the title of the whole thing, so I'm probably ****ed in the end. plop me in King's Landing and its companion cities and I'm good to go. this isn't great literature, it's well done pulp. so put down the joseph campbell for dummies primer and keep it rolling, george.

Last edited by extralife; 04-15-2014 at 01:20 AM..
Old 04-15-2014, 01:23 AM   #2094
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Here we have Frodo and Sam Gamgee:

They went on an adventure to a magical land (Colorado), carrying a burden (briefcase full of money), in a strange world full of enemies. While on their journey to release themselves of the heavy load, they are pursued by enemies who would use it for their own purposes. Along the way, they pick up an enemy who cons them into taking him along on their quest - he is ultimately killed. At the bleakest part of their journey, Frodo banishes Sam from his company, but the two are reunited when Sam Gamgee's indomitable spirit proves to be an overwhelming force that Frodo cannot resist. The combo ultimately reach their destination and succeed over the dark forces, against all odds.

This story has a lot more in common with Frodo than Bran's story does.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 AM   #2095
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Martin admits to a Frodo and Sam influenced pair of characters.

... Only it's Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly (even made it obvious in the name)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #2096
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Taco, you're forgetting Howland Reed.

He was at the Tower of Joy with Ned and can confirm RLJ without Bran.

Bran's a potential backup as long as he lives Imo, and, well, Bloodraven probably already knows (and was probably behind getting Jon--the current obvious song of ice and fire, though I still hope he's a red herring--to the wall) anyway.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #2097
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Here we have Frodo and Sam Gamgee:

They went on an adventure to a magical land (Colorado), carrying a burden (briefcase full of money), in a strange world full of enemies. While on their journey to release themselves of the heavy load, they are pursued by enemies who would use it for their own purposes. Along the way, they pick up an enemy who cons them into taking him along on their quest - he is ultimately killed. At the bleakest part of their journey, Frodo banishes Sam from his company, but the two are reunited when Sam Gamgee's indomitable spirit proves to be an overwhelming force that Frodo cannot resist. The combo ultimately reach their destination and succeed over the dark forces, against all odds.

This story has a lot more in common with Frodo than Bran's story does.
Whatever dude, you obviously never read Ulysses.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #2098
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Taco, you're forgetting Howland Reed.

He was at the Tower of Joy with Ned and can confirm RLJ without Bran.

Bran's a potential backup as long as he lives Imo, and, well, Bloodraven probably already knows (and was probably behind getting Jon--the current obvious song of ice and fire, though I still hope he's a red herring--to the wall) anyway.
Building off this... Bloodraven may have been responsible for Jon's entire creation.

We know Bloodraven went to the wall with Maester Aemon.

We know Bloodraven become Lord Commander and at some point left for the cave.

Bloodraven would have been exposed to the Starks' deepest thoughts through prayers all along.

Aemon communicated back and forth with Rhaegar.

So ultimately, Bloodraven had access to both Lyanna and Rhaegar, and Aemon certainly played a pivotal roll in elevating Jon Snow's status when he finally arrived at the wall.

1000 and 1, for sure.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #2099
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
I think Headley plays the role well enough. Her anger and rage seems to me at least to be always JUST contained. Like it's taking all of her energy to not completely and utterly fly off the handle.

Her reaction to Joffrey choking out felt like the dam burst. I expect her to go full on crazy town. I do think that the actress who played Cat Stark did a better job of conveying the character. Headley's is not wrong, but not as forceful as it can be. At least to this point.

That's the issue here though. This is one of the few times where Martin gets literary revenge on a family and Cat Stark (whom I've always disliked for some reason) totally nailed it despite my wondrous ability to nitpick. Lena was supposed to be the same and honestly, Jaime looked more upset than she did at losing her child. She was like a 3 there and then looks at Tyrion and goes up to an 11 and that seemed forced even there.

Lena Headey takes "sinister" and "cruelty" to a new level in this show but man does she just **** the bed when it comes to emotion (with the exception of her story of her lone Baratheon child who died, imo).
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #2100
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Building off this... Bloodraven may have been responsible for Jon's entire creation.

We know Bloodraven went to the wall with Maester Aemon.

We know Bloodraven become Lord Commander and at some point left for the cave.

Bloodraven would have been exposed to the Starks' deepest thoughts through prayers all along.

Aemon communicated back and forth with Rhaegar.

So ultimately, Bloodraven had access to both Lyanna and Rhaegar, and Aemon certainly played a pivotal roll in elevating Jon Snow's status when he finally arrived at the wall.

1000 and 1, for sure.
Interesting theory. So then are you implying he is a supernatural Littlefinger or what exactly on the spectrum of good guy/bad guy is he then in your opinion?
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote