The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #1976
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 645
Default

I don't know how to feel about this. Part of me thinks it's cool to reward the people for watching the show with something new. I'm also pissed off that they're deviating from the books/showing things that haven't happened yet in the books.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #1977
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,769
Default

I hope Martin saw this and pulled an all-nighter and knocked out 6 new chapters.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #1978
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,496
Default

I haven't watched it yet and probably shouldn't be reading the spoiler thread.

Assuming it suggests that Craster's boys are getting transformed into White Walkers (not just generic zombies), and not just eaten, that's entirely consistent with lots of previous speculation by book-readers. I wouldn't find that surprising at all.

The "Night's King" reference doesn't necessarily mean Coldhands. It's always been just one theory that Coldhands was the fellow referred to as the Night King. If anything, this would tend to undercut that theory.

Assuming also that we have a big chapter out of nowhere involving Bran's group, I think you guys hit it on the head that they're doing something to "fill" his journey north and make it more eventful - especially since they seem to have written out Coldhands. Trudging around in the snow and starving only gets you so many scenes.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #1979
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 16,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trevor Siemian!
Default

I enjoyed it. Marg was so seductive in that scene. Tommen should have just taken her right there and then, and told mommy to **** off.

I'm glad I know what happens to the babies now.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #1980
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,584

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Ugh, I think we're starting to see True Blood 2.0.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #1981
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

I will answer injustice with justice.


God, I know the writers didn't do Clarke any favors with that line, but her delivery of it was by far one of the low points of the season. Just a terribly written and acted moment.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #1982
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 49,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I will answer injustice with justice.


God, I know the writers didn't do Clarke any favors with that line, but her delivery of it was by far one of the low points of the season. Just a terribly written and acted moment.
I disagree...I thought it was well delivered. **** those people
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #1983
kappys
Ring of Famer
 
kappys's Avatar
 
“It will be of little avail to the

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I disagree...I thought it was well delivered. **** those people
It needed to be done - helps set the stage for the political trouble/intrigue when she tries to rule over Mereen
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #1984
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 51,222

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I actually felt that line was bit on the stilted side. And the scene was kind of obvious and campy.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #1985
kappys
Ring of Famer
 
kappys's Avatar
 
“It will be of little avail to the

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I haven't watched it yet and probably shouldn't be reading the spoiler thread.

Assuming it suggests that Craster's boys are getting transformed into White Walkers (not just generic zombies), and not just eaten, that's entirely consistent with lots of previous speculation by book-readers. I wouldn't find that surprising at all.

The "Night's King" reference doesn't necessarily mean Coldhands. It's always been just one theory that Coldhands was the fellow referred to as the Night King. If anything, this would tend to undercut that theory.

Assuming also that we have a big chapter out of nowhere involving Bran's group, I think you guys hit it on the head that they're doing something to "fill" his journey north and make it more eventful - especially since they seem to have written out Coldhands. Trudging around in the snow and starving only gets you so many scenes.
Also possible that the Night's King is a title rather than the same person who took over the nightfort
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #1986
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 22,215

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Re: the Others/White Walkers/whatever the **** that was supposed to be at the end, I think we just saw the first bit of newer content that came from the show. That is, the show showed something before GRRM explained it in the books.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it.

And the whole Craster's/Bran **** is stupid, but Bran only has three chapters after ASOS. They need filler content or else the character risks falling by the wayside. Empty calories for book readers. I'm just pissed that they're probably going to cut out Coldhands though.
Agree with the Bran/craster take.

Some if the scenes were campy but the ending with the white walkers makes you look forward to next week.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #1987
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,631

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I will answer injustice with justice.


God, I know the writers didn't do Clarke any favors with that line, but her delivery of it was by far one of the low points of the season. Just a terribly written and acted moment.
Really? Huh. I watched it several times because I thought it was awesomely delivered... I felt the scorn for the idea of giving the masters mercy. I felt bad for Ser Barristan - he must have felt like a schmuck at that point.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #1988
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
Also possible that the Night's King is a title rather than the same person who took over the nightfort
Yup. And apparently the description in the flyer was later changed to "white walker" - perhaps to avoid that very confusion.

Either way, it sounds like some parts of the show may be getting ahead of anything yet published in the books.

Of course, it will usually be impossible to determine what's a TV spoiler and what's just a variation.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #1989
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,709

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Really? Huh. I watched it several times because I thought it was awesomely delivered... I felt the scorn for the idea of giving the masters mercy. I felt bad for Ser Barristan - he must have felt like a schmuck at that point.
Meh, to each their own. To me, it felt like a line that a cheesy action hero growls while walking away from an explosion in slow motion. I'll admit, it played better out of context in the season cutup trailer. Not so much in the actual episode.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #1990
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,631

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I personally thought the episode was awesome. I just don't get the idea that the pace of this is tedious. To me, they've done a great job of balancing the story telling with the action, and more importantly, huge political reveals.

This episode was huge because both show watchers and book readers got a stunning reveal in the confirmation that the Night's King is still alive after 8,000 years. We got to see what happens to the Craster males - originally it was thought that they were just sacrificed, and it turns out they're immortalized instead.

On top of that, we're in brand new territory where book readers and show watchers are both in a blinding cloud not exactly sure how this current situation resolves itself. They're adding action that wasn't originally there, but that is very worthwhile - it makes sense.

I'm excited to see what happens next week.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #1991
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,638

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I personally thought the episode was awesome. I just don't get the idea that the pace of this is tedious. To me, they've done a great job of balancing the story telling with the action, and more importantly, huge political reveals.

This episode was huge because both show watchers and book readers got a stunning reveal in the confirmation that the Night's King is still alive after 8,000 years. We got to see what happens to the Craster males - originally it was thought that they were just sacrificed, and it turns out they're immortalized instead.

On top of that, we're in brand new territory where book readers and show watchers are both in a blinding cloud not exactly sure how this current situation resolves itself. They're adding action that wasn't originally there, but that is very worthwhile - it makes sense.

I'm excited to see what happens next week.
Yep, while I love seeing certain events on the screen, it's also nice to get extras like the baby/ww sequence last night. Hopefully major plot additions like that are part of Martin's story, not just something they are wedging in to get more White Walker story than in the books.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #1992
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,631

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Yep, while I love seeing certain events on the screen, it's also nice to get extras like the baby/ww sequence last night. Hopefully major plot additions like that are part of Martin's story, not just something they are wedging in to get more White Walker story than in the books.
I would be surprised if they are taking liberties outside of the overarching structure. I think the fans of the series will forgive reveals and plot changes like this that help liven up some of the more mundane parts of the story. What they won't forgive is wholesale changing of the story's infrastructure.

***major spoilers below intended for book readers only****


If I were to guess, this reveal is important because the viewers need to have some sort of context about what is going on with The Others as Bran continues on his quest to find the three eyed crow.

I am taking this character for the Night's King. And even if he's not THE Night's King, he's certainly the king of the white walkers imbued with powers to create new walkers from children (as well as raise wights).

So now the question that I have about this new character is this: what is the relationship between Blood Raven and the Night's King. Is Blood Raven in opposition to the Night's King? Or is the Night's King a servant of "the king on the Weirwood throne" (my own designation)?

This is where Coldhands comes in. We pretty well know that he's an Other - right? So in the books, we're thinking of this guy as a renegade Other, acting to help the humans against the Others. But now we have a situation where Bran is in danger and in need of rescue. Jon Snow is on the way - but seriously, are they going to let them have a reunion? How could Jon let Bran continue his journey? I just don't see it. I think we're about to see Coldhands intervene here - which, I suppose, he would be doing at the behest of the three-eyed crow. Which makes me believe that the Others are servants to The Three Eyed Crow. Cold hands saves Bran, he and his company escape, and Coldhands leads him to the 3EC. Jon shows up to a scene of slaughter, finds Ghost, scratches his head, and comes into some sharp disagreement with Locke on leadership through the event... And then heads home just in time to defend the wall from Mance's advance.

I'm also going to take a stab in the dark and guess that Locke is going to replace Bowen Marsh in the story.

Last edited by Taco John; 04-28-2014 at 02:48 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #1993
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer
 
ShiftyEyedWaterboy's Avatar
 
RIP Mr. Hockey

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Littleton
Posts: 1,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna
Default

Sorry if this is a little off topic guys, but I'm thinking about what I should start reading after I'm caught up with ASOIAF. I'm thinking sci-fi. Already read (and loved) the Dune series.

I've been eyeing Asimov's Foundation series for awhile. Anyone here read it? How about "Old Man's War"?

Thanks in advance!
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #1994
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 14,176

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I enjoyed it. Marg was so seductive in that scene. Tommen should have just taken her right there and then, and told mommy to **** off.

I'm glad I know what happens to the babies now.
Tommen that little wiener. I would have jumped her and said kneel before your king.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #1995
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 20,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
Sorry if this is a little off topic guys, but I'm thinking about what I should start reading after I'm caught up with ASOIAF. I'm thinking sci-fi. Already read (and loved) the Dune series.

I've been eyeing Asimov's Foundation series for awhile. Anyone here read it? How about "Old Man's War"?

Thanks in advance!
Asimov's Foundation is classic and if you haven't read it you should. But it was written in the 1950 so some of the writing is dated. If you are looking Sci-FI recommend Lost Fleet series for easy fun read also John Ringo's Troy Rising Series is another nice summer read.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #1996
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 14,176

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Is it just me or is Little Finger's accent more pronounced now? Or am I hearing things since it has been awhile since he was present?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #1997
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer
 
ShiftyEyedWaterboy's Avatar
 
RIP Mr. Hockey

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Littleton
Posts: 1,791

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Asimov's Foundation is classic and if you haven't read it you should. But it was written in the 1950 so some of the writing is dated. If you are looking Sci-FI recommend Lost Fleet series for easy fun read also John Ringo's Troy Rising Series is another nice summer read.
LOVE the Lost Fleet series. I've heard of Ringo but never read any of his work. Will definitely check him out. thx
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #1998
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

So now the question that I have about this new character is this: what is the relationship between Blood Raven and the Night's King. Is Blood Raven in opposition to the Night's King? Or is the Night's King a servant of "the king on the Weirwood throne" (my own designation)?

This is where Coldhands comes in. We pretty well know that he's an Other - right? So in the books, we're thinking of this guy as a renegade Other, acting to help the humans against the Others. But now we have a situation where Bran is in danger and in need of rescue. Jon Snow is on the way - but seriously, are they going to let them have a reunion? How could Jon let Bran continue his journey? I just don't see it. I think we're about to see Coldhands intervene here - which, I suppose, he would be doing at the behest of the three-eyed crow. Which makes me believe that the Others are servants to The Three Eyed Crow. Cold hands saves Bran, he and his company escape, and Coldhands leads him to the 3EC. Jon shows up to a scene of slaughter, finds Ghost, scratches his head, and comes into some sharp disagreement with Locke on leadership through the event... And then heads home just in time to defend the wall from Mance's advance.
If Coldhands is a "renegade Other," and rescues Bran at the behest of 3EC, then why would that mean that "the Others" are all servants of the 3EC?

Isn't the whole concept of being a "renegade" that a "renegade" doesn't work with the rest of the group?

Also, I'm not so sure it's beyond dispute that Coldhands is an "Other." Why couldn't he be an animated corpse, possessed by 3EC, the same way that Bran can possess Hodor?

And if Coldhands is working for the Others, then why would the zombies attack him (and Bran) on the 3EC's doorstep? Couldn't he just snap his fingers and rebuke them?

One thing's for sure, which is that things are going to get violent at Craster's Keep in a hurry.

Maybe I should say "more violent."
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #1999
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,631

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
If Coldhands is a "renegade Other," and rescues Bran at the behest of 3EC, then why would that mean that "the Others" are all servants of the 3EC?
That's not what I'm saying. In fact the opposite. I'm wondering if Coldhands is renegade at all. His motivations don't make much sense to me in the construct that has him as a renegade other. I suppose he *could* be a warged wight. Though, I'm not sure if the mechanics of warging allow for the possession of the dead...

I guess we'll see if he's even important at all. Though I don't see how he couldn't be. He's got to have *some* meaning.

Last edited by Taco John; 04-28-2014 at 11:10 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #2000
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,584

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Asimov's Foundation is classic and if you haven't read it you should. But it was written in the 1950 so some of the writing is dated. If you are looking Sci-FI recommend Lost Fleet series for easy fun read also John Ringo's Troy Rising Series is another nice summer read.
I'm certain I'm in the minority but I actually got a real kick out of Ringo's The Last Centurion.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Denver Broncos