The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #1926
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
I've been reading the books again, last night I read the Tyrion/Sansa chapters from Joffrey's wedding. Maybe one of my favorite moments in the series.
I went and reread that and the Red Wedding and realized how underwhelmed I was by the RW on the show. I mean it was still crazy but the book really made it known that a whole freaking kingdom was being destroyed. The Northmen at least put up a fight in the book while the show was pretty much like "eh, we've had a good run."

I'm hoping the Purple Wedding plays out well on screen.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #1927
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The only time i get bummed on Game Of Thrones is when a direwolf gets killed lol.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #1928
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I went and reread that and the Red Wedding and realized how underwhelmed I was by the RW on the show. I mean it was still crazy but the book really made it known that a whole freaking kingdom was being destroyed. The Northmen at least put up a fight in the book while the show was pretty much like "eh, we've had a good run."

I'm hoping the Purple Wedding plays out well on screen.
I dunno. It was definitely different, and I think a lot of that is resource limitation, but I also really do think it was about as powerful in the show.

My girlfriend and I knew it was coming and were still speechlessly stunned through the Rains of Castamere during the final credits.

I mean... they shived an unborn baby.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #1929
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I dunno. It was definitely different, and I think a lot of that is resource limitation, but I also really do think it was about as powerful in the show.

My girlfriend and I knew it was coming and were still speechlessly stunned through the Rains of Castamere during the final credits.

I mean... they shived an unborn baby.
No doubt about that and I liked how Cat grabbed the wife instead...but after I re-watched it I couldn't shake how the Northmen just stood there. I can understand that they didn't have the wolf running around like in the book because that would probably play out badly with CGI and what not but one of my favorite parts in the book was when Greatjon and others threw the table over Robb to protect him while still fighting guys off. You still knew it was hopeless but that made it all the more terrible in the book.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #1930
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
No doubt about that and I liked how Cat grabbed the wife instead...but after I re-watched it I couldn't shake how the Northmen just stood there. I can understand that they didn't have the wolf running around like in the book because that would probably play out badly with CGI and what not but one of my favorite parts in the book was when Greatjon and others threw the table over Robb to protect him while still fighting guys off. You still knew it was hopeless but that made it all the more terrible in the book.
I hear you. I loved that part in the book. I just get that they have a few minutes and a lot of content to use to convey the feeling that GRRM intends, and that's difficult. Them wanting it to be a complete massacre for total shock value to leave the audience in awe probably would have been my decision too.

I mean... it went crazily viral. They made the right decision.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #1931
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I am curious if this will match up to the awesome that is Storm of Swords. We shall soon see....
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #1932
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

I can't wait for this season to start. Justified has let me down big time this season, but I don't think GoT will. Nfl draft, schedule release and GoT, hurry up April!
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #1933
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Guys check this out:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...eyed-by-689629

It's an article about maybe having the finale of the show be a movie instead, but there's a much more exciting part casually mentioned for those of us that are ASOIAF nerds (Referring to the Dunk and Egg prequels):

"They could be the basis for [a film]," Martin added at the post-premiere bash held at the Museum of Natural History, where a suspended giant whale cast a shadow over the crowd not unlike one of Martin's dragons. "I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more."

Why's he withholding?!?!?!?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #1934
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
But there wasn't any music during the final credits.

And yet, whenever I think back on it, I can hear that song too. Funny how the mind fills in context.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #1935
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Man the wolf was supposed to go down fighting and they changed that in the HBO show? **** that i am pissed. That would have been way better.

If if you don't show it up close you could still do it. Just do it with sounds of the wolf going down with a fight, shadows etc. They don't always have to use CGI and spend money.

Sucks that in the show the wolf just sits in a cage and gets killed.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #1936
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I can't wait for this season to start. Justified has let me down big time this season, but I don't think GoT will. Nfl draft, schedule release and GoT, hurry up April!
Walking Dead ends, GOT starts up. I just need one show to watch as TV not a huge part of my life. I do like having 1 or 2 shows though.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #1937
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
But there wasn't any music during the final credits.

And yet, whenever I think back on it, I can hear that song too. Funny how the mind fills in context.
No kidding? Missed opportunity Old Dude! I would've put $1000 on the Rains of Castamere!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #1938
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

The show nailed the ending. That was one of the most dramatic WTF moments in television ever. I don't understand how some people actually have a problem with it.

So far the show is doing a pretty good job of honoring the books. There have been some down episodes but that is true of most shows.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #1939
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Sucks that in the show the wolf just sits in a cage and gets killed.
On the other hand, it was a nice analog for Robb, who did the same thing.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #1940
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
The show nailed the ending. That was one of the most dramatic WTF moments in television ever. I don't understand how some people actually have a problem with it.

So far the show is doing a pretty good job of honoring the books. There have been some down episodes but that is true of most shows.
I've actually been thinking about this concept when it comes to adaptations. I kind of believe that regardless of the love that Benioff and Weiss express for the source material, there is the slightest bit of chaffing at the bit by restrictions placed on them by that same source material. I think given the choice, they would have loved to have kept Renly and developed him into a main character. With each passing season, it feels like they are making more changes not in the name of streamlining for television, or budget constraints, but simply because they are taking every opportunity to take a greater ownership of the narrative.

I mean, this is probably a normal reaction for any director worth a damn. As much as I enjoyed the films Peter Jackson didn't make J.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, he made Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. Benioff and Weiss are doing the same thing.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #1941
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Guys check this out:

It's an article about maybe having the finale of the show be a movie instead, but there's a much more exciting part casually mentioned for those of us that are ASOIAF nerds (Referring to the Dunk and Egg prequels):

"They could be the basis for [a film]," Martin added at the post-premiere bash held at the Museum of Natural History, where a suspended giant whale cast a shadow over the crowd not unlike one of Martin's dragons. "I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more."

I think he's witholding because a big part of ASOIAF in the next two books is going to center around Blood Raven and he doesn't want to give too much away.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #1942
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I think he's witholding because a big part of ASOIAF in the next two books is going to center around Blood Raven and he doesn't want to give too much away.
Amazing answer. 5 stars.

I'm still hopeful the entire series has been a red herring and that

Blood Raven is bad (additionally evil vibe in the novellas)
The Starks are bad ("Winter is Coming" is a threat not a warning)
Jaime Lannister is the PwwP

I think those are really cool but probably infuriating angles to work into.

Ignoring all that, as far what SEEMS to be the projected plot path (Jon Snow as AA, etc), I still have no idea how Arya Stark, the Sand Snakes, or Littlefinger play out.

I'm hopeful the Mountain kills the Hound in the obvious upcoming battle of Cleganes for Cersei/Margaery, and Arya kills the Mountain and the Red Viper v Mountain was a foreshadowing to his weakness of a light, fast opponent and after killing the Hound, the mountain will be even higher on her list and a likely barrier to her getting her hands on Cersei Lannister.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #1943
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Amazing answer. 5 stars.

Ignoring all that, as far what SEEMS to be the projected plot path (Jon Snow as AA, etc), I still have no idea how Arya Stark, the Sand Snakes, or Littlefinger play out.

I'm hopeful the Mountain kills the Hound in the obvious upcoming battle of Cleganes for Cersei/Margaery, and Arya kills the Mountain and the Red Viper v Mountain was a foreshadowing to his weakness of a light, fast opponent and after killing the Hound, the mountain will be even higher on her list and a likely barrier to her getting her hands on Cersei Lannister.
I just want the last 2 books to be out so I know how the hell this thing ends. I need closure.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #1944
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Dude! That never occured to me. I think you're exactly right.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #1945
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Guys check this out:

I don't understand Martin. I get that many creative geniuses are eccentric, but the dude is the stingiest writer I've ever heard of. I think it's one part perfectionist and two parts easily-distracted. If he's not editing it fifty times, he's whining about who the Jets drafted on his blog.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #1946
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Amazing answer. 5 stars.

Where are you getting this upcoming battle of the Cleganes? It seems pretty much accepted that the Mountain is Robert Strong but if The Hound is actually the Gravedigger and has embraced that, why would he fight?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #1947
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Where are you getting this upcoming battle of the Cleganes? It seems pretty much accepted that the Mountain is Robert Strong but if The Hound is actually the Gravedigger and has embraced that, why would he fight?
With them both presumed dead but still alive and at a point where they could each easily represent as Champions (Robert Strong for Cersei, the Gravedigger is a part of a monastery and would be a pretty reasonable candidate from within the faith), I guess I've always assumed that just would be what's coming to resolve their plot lines.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #1948
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I don't know that I would call Blood Raven bad or good (Dunk and Egg stories paint him as bad, but the ASOIAF stories paints him as benevolent). I think that's part of the narrative - it's all based on perspective. But a few things stick out at me that I would like some sort of closure on:

Religions and Magic - As far as I can tell there are only two religions that have any sort of "magic" or "power" that work in their favor. One being R'hollor and the Red Religion (there's not an actual name for it, is there?), and the other being the Old Gods and their NSA spy network of trees and animals (drones, lol). The religion of the Seven seems to me to be more of an institution used for controlling the masses, and less of one that demonstrates any supernatural ability.

So stepping back, there are two figures at the top of these religions: R'hollor himself (itself?), which, if I'm not mistaken, we got a glimpse of when the priest castrated Varys and spoke to "Him" through the fire. And it's said his antithesis is the "Great Other," the god of Ice and death.

So what (and who) is Blood Raven in this mix? As far as I can tell, Blood Raven is the most powerful man in Westeros and sits on the true throne of power there. In Kings Landing, it's just political theatre, with Blood Raven being the chief architect. What's not clear is just how deep his influence is. I HAS to be pretty deep. Knowing what we know about Blood Raven from the D&E stories, we know he lusts power, and wouldn't give any up to be a powerless monk somewhere. And finally, does Blood Raven serve "The Great Other." Or is he it? Is the person on that throne the acting Great Other?

Last edited by Taco John; 03-21-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #1949
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This, of course, leads to the question of Bran. Which is something I've been playing with for a long time. My theory is that it is Bran who is the Prince who is Promised, and it's not the Iron Throne, but the one that Blood Raven sits on (and that Bran is set to inherit) that matters.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #1950
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I don't understand Martin. I get that many creative geniuses are eccentric, but the dude is the stingiest writer I've ever heard of. I think it's one part perfectionist and two parts easily-distracted. If he's not editing it fifty times, he's whining about who the Jets drafted on his blog.
We're not meant to understand geniuses. We're meant to enjoy them for how smart they make us feel as we bask in their light.

I fricken love GRRM...