The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #1726
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
We didn't see Xaro die, I don't think? Just locked in that vault, right?
Right
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #1727
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Right
Yeah Xaro is kind of a wild card in this. One of the many rogue elements that can potentially really alter how the story goes in the show Vs. the books.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #1728
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
We didn't see Xaro die, I don't think? Just locked in that vault, right?
Yep. He said 4 though, and I can't think of anyone else.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #1729
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

IF he was including Xaro, then maybe he was also including the girl (dora?) that was locked in there with him.

Again, as you all have mentioned, they weren't "dead", but that's about the only other person I'm thinking it could be.

EDIT: Doreah...and unless they figure out some way to drill through Valeyrian steel, I think they're fuuuuuuuned.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #1730
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #1731
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
IF he was including Xaro, then maybe he was also including the girl (dora?) that was locked in there with him.

Again, as you all have mentioned, they weren't "dead", but that's about the only other person I'm thinking it could be.

EDIT: Doreah...and unless they figure out some way to drill through Valeyrian steel, I think they're fuuuuuuuned.
Doreah is dead in the books, too. She died in the red waste before they made it to Qarth.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #1732
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post

Come on. You've read the books.

If you don't see them die, they're not dead. And if they are dead, maybe not forever.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #1733
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Come on. You've read the books.

If you don't see them die, they're not dead. And if they are dead, maybe not forever.
That's why SPOILER: ( Jon Snow isn't dead. )
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1734
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's why SPOILER: ( Jon Snow isn't dead. )
SPOILER: ( anyone who believes he is (or if he is, that he'll stay that way) is a simple boob )
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #1735
kappys
Ring of Famer

ďIt will be of little avail to the

Good stuff on this thread, a few thoughts

There are a lot of GRRM interviews on youtube - I've listened to a few and he was asked about Tolkein - while he expressed apprecation for his work he hardly sounded like a very enthralled or big fan - in fact he specifically noted that they were childrens stories. I have a hard time buying into the idea that he used Middle earth in the future to set up his world.

Jeyne/Talisa - For some reason I recall in the book some question fo Jeyne's mother essentially forcing her to have an abortion - I think the Robb Stark line is gone. Rickon is the king in the North - we know the Manderlys know about him and are after him to raise him up, he will have the Smalljon's support(in the show he is heading to the Umbers). They've already protrayed Shaggy Dog as savage and vicious and I think that is exactly what Rickon will become - a very savage and very vicious fighter who will take revenge on all the houses in the North that wronged the Starks. I predict that the next few books will span a good number of years (i.e. all of winter since the last book is A Hope for Spring, and we know this is going to be a very long winter)
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #1736
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quoting Martin from an interview:

"As a reader, what I seek is a book that delights and surprises me. I want to not know what is gonna happen. For me, that’s the essence of storytelling and for this reason I want my readers to turn the pages with increasing fever: to know what happens next. There are a lot of expectations, mainly in the fantasy genre, which you have the hero and he is the chosen one, and he is always protected by his destiny. I didn’t want it for my books."

Tolkein's "Middle Earth" was probably drawn from norse references to "Midgard," (Earth). To the extent that both authors (and dozens more in the genre) draw on norse & celtic epics and myths, it's no surprise that there are parallels. The interesting thing about GoT is that genre expectations are often turned upside down.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #1737
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Yep. He said 4 though, and I can't think of anyone else.
Frey's wife didn't die in the books, right? Not that she is a very important character.
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #1738
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
Frey's wife didn't die in the books, right? Not that she is a very important character.
True. That would be the 4th.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #1739
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Quoting Martin from an interview:

"As a reader, what I seek is a book that delights and surprises me. I want to not know what is gonna happen. For me, thatís the essence of storytelling and for this reason I want my readers to turn the pages with increasing fever: to know what happens next. There are a lot of expectations, mainly in the fantasy genre, which you have the hero and he is the chosen one, and he is always protected by his destiny. I didnít want it for my books."

Tolkein's "Middle Earth" was probably drawn from norse references to "Midgard," (Earth). To the extent that both authors (and dozens more in the genre) draw on norse & celtic epics and myths, it's no surprise that there are parallels. The interesting thing about GoT is that genre expectations are often turned upside down.
This is why I love GRRM's work, and also why I love the work of Herbert (hence my handle). Herbert also tossed away a lot of the predictability of stories in his Dune series and whacks main characters unexpectedly. Not to the extreme extent that GRRM takes it, but still there.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #1740
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
The other supporting piece of "evidence" for this theory is the opening theme. Watch it closely the next time, and notice the sun (with the GOT logo) - keep track of where it is during the whole sequence as they pan across the mechanical castles and across the sea. The entire land lies on the inside of the globe - ala middle earth.

I'm not saying that I believe the theory is legit, but I love the way that so much stuff is open to interpretation.
the show open is pretty brilliant itself; that is, in how it changes weekly with the story. when i saw the twins on the latest episode, i knew it was going down.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #1741
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Damn, I'm not all that impressed with the season finale. Bit of a dud.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #1742
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Yeah, that was kind of anti-climatic. I'm starting to wonder just how many characters and subplots they plan on cutting.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #1743
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Ep 9 has always been the best each season. Not sure why any of you are surprised.

Next year Tyrion will kill Tywin in ep 9.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #1744
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Next year we'll hopefully have Coldhands, the Royal Wedding, the battles at the Wall, and Tywin/Tyrion.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #1745
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Next year we'll hopefully have Coldhands, the Royal Wedding, the battles at the Wall, and Tywin/Tyrion.
At this point I don't think we'll see Cold hands. Giving them the dragon glass effectively solved his only purpose to date.

But yeah they'll finish book 3 next season
Old 06-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #1746
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

HODOR.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #1747
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
At this point I don't think we'll see Cold hands. Giving them the dragon glass effectively solved his only purpose to date.

But yeah they'll finish book 3 next season
Eh, he does play a pretty significant role by leading them to the cave. Plus there's still the chance that he's Benjen Stark.

We'll see...in ten whole months
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #1748
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I swear if he ever kills off Dany someone (maybe me) might hunt him down and pull a Ramse/Theon on him. She is so freaking awesome.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #1749
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I swear if he ever kills off Dany someone (maybe me) might hunt him down and pull a Ramse/Theon on him. She is so freaking awesome.
Yes, yes she is.

Ya, the finale was kind of a dud but episode 9 was always going to be pretty tough to follow. Now I have to go from Dany to Sookie. A noticeable drop.......
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #1750
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I thought last night's episode was great, although it seemed that a few of the storylines felt a little more soap opera-esque than I remember in the books. Ygritte and Jon were pretty sappy (I still enjoyed it, but they REALLY geared it to the female audience IMO), Asha being very un-Asha like in her declaration to find Theon, and the whole Theon being named Reek...it all felt a little over the top to me.

Tywin and Tyrion are just KILLIN it, and that whole small council meeting was my favorite part of the episode. Jeoff is such a petulant b**** (big kudos to him for portraying that character so well), never have I felt the urge to punch someone in the babymakers more than he.

As for Gendry, I wonder how (or if) he's going to end up coming back in later in the story, and whether or not they'll have him saving Brienne's life? Curious to see how that storyline will play out.

10 long months ahead GREAT season though.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote