The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #1701
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,642

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
The show nailed the ending. That was one of the most dramatic WTF moments in television ever. I don't understand how some people actually have a problem with it.

So far the show is doing a pretty good job of honoring the books. There have been some down episodes but that is true of most shows.
I've actually been thinking about this concept when it comes to adaptations. I kind of believe that regardless of the love that Benioff and Weiss express for the source material, there is the slightest bit of chaffing at the bit by restrictions placed on them by that same source material. I think given the choice, they would have loved to have kept Renly and developed him into a main character. With each passing season, it feels like they are making more changes not in the name of streamlining for television, or budget constraints, but simply because they are taking every opportunity to take a greater ownership of the narrative.

I mean, this is probably a normal reaction for any director worth a damn. As much as I enjoyed the films Peter Jackson didn't make J.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, he made Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. Benioff and Weiss are doing the same thing.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #1702
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Guys check this out:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...eyed-by-689629

It's an article about maybe having the finale of the show be a movie instead, but there's a much more exciting part casually mentioned for those of us that are ASOIAF nerds (Referring to the Dunk and Egg prequels):

"They could be the basis for [a film]," Martin added at the post-premiere bash held at the Museum of Natural History, where a suspended giant whale cast a shadow over the crowd not unlike one of Martin's dragons. "I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more."

Why's he withholding?!?!?!?
I think he's witholding because a big part of ASOIAF in the next two books is going to center around Blood Raven and he doesn't want to give too much away.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #1703
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Amazing answer. 5 stars.

I'm still hopeful the entire series has been a red herring and that

Blood Raven is bad (additionally evil vibe in the novellas)
The Starks are bad ("Winter is Coming" is a threat not a warning)
Jaime Lannister is the PwwP

I think those are really cool but probably infuriating angles to work into.

Ignoring all that, as far what SEEMS to be the projected plot path (Jon Snow as AA, etc), I still have no idea how Arya Stark, the Sand Snakes, or Littlefinger play out.

I'm hopeful the Mountain kills the Hound in the obvious upcoming battle of Cleganes for Cersei/Margaery, and Arya kills the Mountain and the Red Viper v Mountain was a foreshadowing to his weakness of a light, fast opponent and after killing the Hound, the mountain will be even higher on her list and a likely barrier to her getting her hands on Cersei Lannister.
I just want the last 2 books to be out so I know how the hell this thing ends. I need closure.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #1704
randerson1184
Camp Arm
 
randerson1184's Avatar
 
2015 Super Bowl Champions!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: MS Gulf Coast
Posts: 893

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I think he's witholding because a big part of ASOIAF in the next two books is going to center around Blood Raven and he doesn't want to give too much away.
Dude! That never occured to me. I think you're exactly right.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #1705
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 50,715

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Guys check this out:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...eyed-by-689629

It's an article about maybe having the finale of the show be a movie instead, but there's a much more exciting part casually mentioned for those of us that are ASOIAF nerds (Referring to the Dunk and Egg prequels):

"They could be the basis for [a film]," Martin added at the post-premiere bash held at the Museum of Natural History, where a suspended giant whale cast a shadow over the crowd not unlike one of Martin's dragons. "I have written these three stories, and I have about a dozen more."

Why's he withholding?!?!?!?
I don't understand Martin. I get that many creative geniuses are eccentric, but the dude is the stingiest writer I've ever heard of. I think it's one part perfectionist and two parts easily-distracted. If he's not editing it fifty times, he's whining about who the Jets drafted on his blog.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #1706
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,563

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Amazing answer. 5 stars.

I'm still hopeful the entire series has been a red herring and that

Blood Raven is bad (additionally evil vibe in the novellas)
The Starks are bad ("Winter is Coming" is a threat not a warning)
Jaime Lannister is the PwwP

I think those are really cool but probably infuriating angles to work into.

Ignoring all that, as far what SEEMS to be the projected plot path (Jon Snow as AA, etc), I still have no idea how Arya Stark, the Sand Snakes, or Littlefinger play out.

I'm hopeful the Mountain kills the Hound in the obvious upcoming battle of Cleganes for Cersei/Margaery, and Arya kills the Mountain and the Red Viper v Mountain was a foreshadowing to his weakness of a light, fast opponent and after killing the Hound, the mountain will be even higher on her list and a likely barrier to her getting her hands on Cersei Lannister.
Where are you getting this upcoming battle of the Cleganes? It seems pretty much accepted that the Mountain is Robert Strong but if The Hound is actually the Gravedigger and has embraced that, why would he fight?
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #1707
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I don't know that I would call Blood Raven bad or good (Dunk and Egg stories paint him as bad, but the ASOIAF stories paints him as benevolent). I think that's part of the narrative - it's all based on perspective. But a few things stick out at me that I would like some sort of closure on:

Religions and Magic - As far as I can tell there are only two religions that have any sort of "magic" or "power" that work in their favor. One being R'hollor and the Red Religion (there's not an actual name for it, is there?), and the other being the Old Gods and their NSA spy network of trees and animals (drones, lol). The religion of the Seven seems to me to be more of an institution used for controlling the masses, and less of one that demonstrates any supernatural ability.

So stepping back, there are two figures at the top of these religions: R'hollor himself (itself?), which, if I'm not mistaken, we got a glimpse of when the priest castrated Varys and spoke to "Him" through the fire. And it's said his antithesis is the "Great Other," the god of Ice and death.

So what (and who) is Blood Raven in this mix? As far as I can tell, Blood Raven is the most powerful man in Westeros and sits on the true throne of power there. In Kings Landing, it's just political theatre, with Blood Raven being the chief architect. What's not clear is just how deep his influence is. I HAS to be pretty deep. Knowing what we know about Blood Raven from the D&E stories, we know he lusts power, and wouldn't give any up to be a powerless monk somewhere. And finally, does Blood Raven serve "The Great Other." Or is he it? Is the person on that throne the acting Great Other?

Last edited by Taco John; 03-21-2014 at 09:48 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #1708
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

This, of course, leads to the question of Bran. Which is something I've been playing with for a long time. My theory is that it is Bran who is the Prince who is Promised, and it's not the Iron Throne, but the one that Blood Raven sits on (and that Bran is set to inherit) that matters.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #1709
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I don't understand Martin. I get that many creative geniuses are eccentric, but the dude is the stingiest writer I've ever heard of. I think it's one part perfectionist and two parts easily-distracted. If he's not editing it fifty times, he's whining about who the Jets drafted on his blog.
We're not meant to understand geniuses. We're meant to enjoy them for how smart they make us feel as we bask in their light.

I fricken love GRRM...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #1710
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

And for the record, I don't think we're going to see Clegane for the rest of the story. I think GRRM is going to leave that one where it is, and a hundred years from now people will be arguing over the mystery of whether Clegane is the grave digger or not.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #1711
Bronc0guy
Hard hat & lunch pail guy
 
Bronc0guy's Avatar
 
Repeat City

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Walking Dead ends, GOT starts up. I just need one show to watch as TV not a huge part of my life. I do like having 1 or 2 shows though.
I watched the first 2 episodes of this new walking dead season, and I think I'm over it. I can only watch zombies chase people around, while those people argue with each other about how to survive for so long. I've heard it's gotten better these last couple episodes, maybe I'll go back and finish it.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #1712
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 50,715

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I watched the first 2 episodes of this new walking dead season, and I think I'm over it. I can only watch zombies chase people around, while those people argue with each other about how to survive for so long. I've heard it's gotten better these last couple episodes, maybe I'll go back and finish it.
It has. Season 3 was pretty bad. I felt like a lot of the writers were mailing it in. The last few episodes have been outstanding. That said, I hope the series is over after next season. They need to do like breaking bad and just go 5 seasons.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #1713
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

I couldn't get past the first episode of Walking Dead. I was interested until they showed the guy's partner kissing his wife. Zombies are roaming the earth, her husband is likely freshly deceased - or who knows, could possibly be alive, and somehow they've managed to kindle a romance amidst it all. I can't stand such contrivances...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #1714
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer
 
Johnykbr's Avatar
 
2.0: Now with three speeds!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,563

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It has. Season 3 was pretty bad. I felt like a lot of the writers were mailing it in. The last few episodes have been outstanding. That said, I hope the series is over after next season. They need to do like breaking bad and just go 5 seasons.
Notice there was no Carl in the last few episodes. Carl, just like almost all young child actors, ruins shows.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #1715
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, every vagina within a 1000 mile radius of a zombie will dry up and turn to dust.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #1716
Bronc0guy
Hard hat & lunch pail guy
 
Bronc0guy's Avatar
 
Repeat City

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It has. Season 3 was pretty bad. I felt like a lot of the writers were mailing it in. The last few episodes have been outstanding. That said, I hope the series is over after next season. They need to do like breaking bad and just go 5 seasons.
I thought season 3 was pretty shabby. The first half of season 4 was boring till the governor started his rampage. I'll take your word for it, and go back and get caught up on these last 3-4 episodes before Sunday.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #1717
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 9,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, every vagina within a 1000 mile radius of a zombie will dry up and turn to dust.
no way, we are humans....any apocalypse will include so much boning.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #1718
Bronc0guy
Hard hat & lunch pail guy
 
Bronc0guy's Avatar
 
Repeat City

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Notice there was no Carl in the last few episodes. Carl, just like almost all young child actors, ruins shows.
I HATE Carl. "Zombie inside got my shoe but it didn't get me". I was hoping the little bastard would choke on that pudding.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #1719
Bronc0guy
Hard hat & lunch pail guy
 
Bronc0guy's Avatar
 
Repeat City

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,697

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I couldn't get past the first episode of Walking Dead. I was interested until they showed the guy's partner kissing his wife. Zombies are roaming the earth, her husband is likely freshly deceased - or who knows, could possibly be alive, and somehow they've managed to kindle a romance amidst it all. I can't stand such contrivances...
Yea, I didn't much care for that storyline either. I mean give it some time, sheesh.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #1720
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 50,715

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
Yea, I didn't much care for that storyline either. I mean give it some time, sheesh.
I had zero problem with that. They were friends and she thought he was dead. It's pretty accurate for what people do in those situations as well especially when there's already a friendship.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #1721
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I had zero problem with that. They were friends and she thought he was dead. It's pretty accurate for what people do in those situations as well especially when there's already a friendship.
Do you think that your wife, within two weeks of losing you to a Zombie Apocalypse, would be making out with your best friend?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #1722
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 49,292

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
If the zombie apocalypse ever happens, every vagina within a 1000 mile radius of a zombie will dry up and turn to dust.
There will bo No zombie apocalypse. The one you have to worry about is the robot apocalypse.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #1723
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Did you see "her"? For a while I thought it was going to end up like Terminator.
This is the first sentence I've read that makes that show look even remotely appealing to me. Now I'm intrigued...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #1724
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,737
Default

We all should pitch in for a nutritiousness and a trainer to follow him around. I worry about him pulling a Jordan.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #1725
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin
 
broncolife's Avatar
 
Ice and Fire

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 4,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I HATE Carl. "Zombie inside got my shoe but it didn't get me". I was hoping the little bastard would choke on that pudding.
My family and I were cheering for the zombie to get him. I hate that little turd.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Denver Broncos