The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #1476
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
My guess is that he's just a miscellaneous Targ bastard. Probably some connection there, but he's way too young to be R.
Rhaegar was 24 when he supposedly died on the Trident, which wasn't terribly long before.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #1477
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Regarding Darkstar:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...d-of-darkstar/
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #1478
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

The dude I'm most curious about is Maester Marwyn (the mage.)

Seems like he's got a big step up on most of the budding wizards & necromancers.

May very well be the "Arch-maester" for the "magic" link. Already had a big interest in this when most of the others still regarded it as an obscure liberal arts class. To that extent, a rebel within the Citadel.
Connected with Qyburn in terms of undead research. (ghosts)
Trained Mirri Maz Duur.
Has traveled extensively. Also hangs out with numerous undesirables.
He strongly implies to Sam that he has some kind of noble bloodline and seems to be taking him under his wing.
Somehow connected to "the Alchemist." May be in cohoots with Jaqen.
On course to meet up with Dany.
Has been studying this stuff (including the history of dragons) for a long time.

Could be an extremely helpful ally or a very dangerous foe. At the very least a key source of info for the major players.

Unless, of course, Jaqen snuffs him.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #1479
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Let's hope Theon gets spared the screen time tonight. Time to cut the poor guy some slack.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #1480
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Game of Thrones games is just awesome!!! Finally a strategy board game to mix it up with Risk!

http://www.ign.com/blogs/gameguy523/...he-board-game/
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #1481
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Game of Thrones games is just awesome!!! Finally a strategy board game to mix it up with Risk!

http://www.ign.com/blogs/gameguy523/...he-board-game/
Its okay. Played it a few years ago with some friends to test it out. The combat mechanics are pretty simple, some may complain that they are overly simple and you only have a choice between 5 houses, Lannister, Tyrell, Stark, Greyjoy, and Baratheon. And you really need 5 players for the game to work. If you try to play with 3 or 4 it gets really unbalanced in favor of the Starks and Lannisters, who won't have anyone to keep them in check. (The game tells you which houses to play per number of players)

Fantasy Flight games also did a Collectable Card Game for the books some years ago. It was pretty fun while it lasted and everyone who played it would laugh out loud at Joffrey's card. Within the mechanics of the game, his ability just so suited the little brat.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #1482
lolcopter

Quote:
Let's hope Theon gets spared the screen time tonight. Time to cut the poor guy some slack.

phrasing
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #1483
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

that was uninspiring
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #1484
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
His character is reduced.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #1485
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
His character is reduced.
A member of less contribution.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #1486
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
It's just too far.

I get portraying the torture as opposed to how he disappeared from the books for so long, but when they're cutting important parts of the books and allotting that time to Greyjoy getting tortured every episode... now it's just stupid.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #1487
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
It's just too far.

I get portraying the torture as opposed to how he disappeared from the books for so long, but when they're cutting important parts of the books and allotting that time to Greyjoy getting tortured every episode... now it's just stupid.

I agree, it has gone beyond absurd at this point. We get it, they are doing mean nasty things to Theon. We no longer require a weekly update. I personally felt that presenting Robb with a piece of Theon's skin would have been more than enough to imply his fate. Plus, now the audience won't get the same surprise that he is actually still alive in a retched reduced form when his plot line picks up again.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed by this episode. I was expecting more when I saw that George R.R. Martin was penning it. He spoiled me with last year's Blackwater episode. Too many scenes felt like we were doing a mandatory check-in on characters to ensure the audience hadn't forgotten about them, without really advancing the plot. Poor Tyrion, book 3 did kind of push him to the side, but he really hasn't had any good scenes this year, nothing to come close to matching his Blackwater speech.

Still, I'm glad that Nicolaj had the patience to stick with the character for two seasons while the show set up his story, because he has been absolutely killing it this year. I would say that 2 of the 5 best scenes of the season belong to him.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #1488
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
It's just too far.

THIS^

Frankly I don't at all like Theon's character. Not in the book and not in the show. And it's not a hatred like most have for King Joef. It's just that his character is boring. I get that HBO likes the guy as an actor and that is why they kept him in…but is he really able to show his acting range being tied to a post getting flayed? Wow…Theon's crying again. Wow…Theon's in a great deal of pain again.

Only three episodes left…they will surely end on the Red Wedding…no? Can't wait for that!!!
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #1489
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

I think they're too close to the red wedding to put it off 3 episodes unless they just ignore Robb's camp for 2 of them. It seems to me like they'll get to both weddings as the other plot line has advanced quite a bit too.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #1490
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
I think they're too close to the red wedding to put it off 3 episodes unless they just ignore Robb's camp for 2 of them. It seems to me like they'll get to both weddings as the other plot line has advanced quite a bit too.
Both weddings? There's 3, though
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #1491
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
The 3rd one will be in season 4....can't wait!!!!!!!
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #1492
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Theon is going to play a big part in seasons to come, as all the book readers know. I think they had to go to this extent for viewers to understand his transformation from the bold, cock-sure braggart, to the whipped dog of a man he is to become. I think we've seen the last Theon Greyjoy scene this season.

I personally thought this was a great episode. I like that GRRM confirmed a few things that were rather debated in the book - Theon's member being one of them. I loved that GRRM finally had Tormund being Tormund. "Tormund hasn't talked about what a beast in the sack he is yet - I'm going to fix that straight away."

I loved the episode. That exchange between Tywinn and Joffrey was perfect. The exchange between Jaime and Qyburn was great. The dragons were amazing, and Clarke's acting in that parlay was great.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #1493
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

So... Jeyne (or at least her counterpart on the show) is definitely pregnant. This was a point of much speculation because it is never spelled out in the books, and could have big consequences for the story going forward.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #1494
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Really? I can only remember red and royal, who else gets hitched? Unless you're talking about Lysa. That one seems pretty far off at this point.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #1495
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
Really? I can only remember red and royal, who else gets hitched? Unless you're talking about Lysa. That one seems pretty far off at this point.
Tyrion gets married to Sansa.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #1496
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
So... Jeyne (or at least her counterpart on the show) is definitely pregnant. This was a point of much speculation because it is never spelled out in the books, and could have big consequences for the story going forward.
Or she's completely worthless to the story from here on out and they'll kill her at the Red Wedding.

We'll find out soon though.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #1497
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Or she's completely worthless to the story from here on out and they'll kill her at the Red Wedding.

We'll find out soon though.
That would be extremely GRRM-esque.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #1498
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Tyrion gets married to Sansa.
Of course I miss the obvious one.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #1499
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Overall, I was pleased with the episode. The world is really coming alive with the panorama shots. Not the most dramatic events, but lots of character shifts and multiple plotlines set up for the final three eps.

I imagine we'll get at least one more Theon scene this season, but probably not until episode 10.

Looking forward to some fun in Yunkai next week, more of the Hound, and some cool stuff up north.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #1500
lolcopter

so i'm not a book reader, obv, but why do the wildlings wanna invade the south? is their goal just to invade and post up, making that their new home? north of the wall is really crappy, but i guess i'm just not understanding their end game here. as jon snow said, they don't really stand any real chance invading the kingdom.

Last edited by lolcopter; 05-13-2013 at 05:38 PM..