The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #1276
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
X-FACTOR

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 52,465

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
The thing that most worries me is that they'll lose actors (and have to replace them with others) if the series goes too many seasons. Related to that is the question of whether and how quickly Martin can get the remaining books out.

We know they've been given the go-ahead for season 4 and that this will probably take us through the second half of the third book, but after that, it gets funky.
As I recall, the 4th and 5th books take place at the same time, don't they? I'm curious how they handle that. I have to believe they'll script them out that way - how can they go an entire season without so many characters like was done in the books...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #1277
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,890

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Well, they are going to follow A Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons combined coronologically, so that should stream line those two books into let's say 3/4 seasons. That puts us in 2016/2017 with the new book Winds of Winter out, and word is GRRM has the 7th book layed out, he just just needs to flesh out the story. Give 2 seasons for Winds of Winter and your in 2018/2019; hopefully the books will be out by then.

It does pose some interesting problems, with Brans balls already droping, and Arya getting older, but they casted a guy in his mid 20s to play Gendry, so who cares. It's not like they stuck to the accurate ages of the characters to begin with. Lets face it, Rob is supposed to be 16, Sansa 13, and the list continues.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #1278
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,890

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
As I recall, the 4th and 5th books take place at the same time, don't they? I'm curious how they handle that. I have to believe they'll script them out that way - how can they go an entire season without so many characters like was done in the books...
I'm fairly certain they have said they are going to combine the two.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #1279
StugotsIII
O-H
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,506

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Strange. For some reason I just saw Tyrion and Jon. But good observation nonetheless. I was just thinking about this one a couple of weeks ago after Dany's big episode and wondering if it meant something (of course it does...)
Don't forget about Dany
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #1280
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I'm fairly certain they have said they are going to combine the two.
They almost have to. Otherwise they have half their cast twiddling their thumbs for a year.

Still, it's going to require an awful lot of work from a screenwriter's standpoint. It's not just a matter of rearranging things in chronological order. They'll need to do some major work on some of those subplots to keep the cast size from getting completely out of hand.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #1281
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 50,345

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

We're in season three. I don't see how HBO can sustain the series more than six seasons. I suppose seven is technically reasonable, and very normal for network TV, but not as normal for cable. And abnormal for HBO, who is apparently having their budget stretched to the limit for the series. The Sopranos barely made six and that was shot in Jersey.

My hope is they go like five seasons and then do a movie.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #1282
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,482

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Well, they are going to follow A Feast For Crows and A Dance with Dragons combined coronologically, so that should stream line those two books into let's say 3/4 seasons. That puts us in 2016/2017 with the new book Winds of Winter out, and word is GRRM has the 7th book layed out, he just just needs to flesh out the story. Give 2 seasons for Winds of Winter and your in 2018/2019; hopefully the books will be out by then.

It does pose some interesting problems, with Brans balls already droping, and Arya getting older, but they casted a guy in his mid 20s to play Gendry, so who cares. It's not like they stuck to the accurate ages of the characters to begin with. Lets face it, Rob is supposed to be 16, Sansa 13, and the list continues.
Beric Dondarrion is 21 in the books.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #1283
Johnykbr
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Beric Dondarrion is 21 in the books.
Wow, I totally didn't catch that. Interesting
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #1284
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,890

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
They almost have to. Otherwise they have half their cast twiddling their thumbs for a year.

Still, it's going to require an awful lot of work from a screenwriter's standpoint. It's not just a matter of rearranging things in chronological order. They'll need to do some major work on some of those subplots to keep the cast size from getting completely out of hand.
They will, again my recollection is linked to what I believe was a co-interview between the writers and GRRM. They said they wanted to keep things fluid, and George was pretty pleased by with the idea of altering the chronology. I'll see if I can't find the interview tomorrow, and post it for you guys.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #1285
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 20,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
We're in season three. I don't see how HBO can sustain the series more than six seasons. I suppose seven is technically reasonable, and very normal for network TV, but not as normal for cable. And abnormal for HBO, who is apparently having their budget stretched to the limit for the series. The Sopranos barely made six and that was shot in Jersey.

My hope is they go like five seasons and then do a movie.
Don't forget Rome, Deadwood and other "big" mini-series that HBO has dumped on after 4 seasons. I expect that this won't end well for viewers unless one of the big network jumps in.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #1286
Johnykbr
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Don't forget Rome, Deadwood and other "big" mini-series that HBO has dumped on after 4 seasons. I expect that this won't end well for viewers unless one of the big network jumps in.
Rome and Deadwood may have had the soaring reviews like GoT but they didn't have the viewers like it. Also, GoT blu-rays and DVD sales are through the roof.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #1287
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Punk Mother****er
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
I'm starting to get worried how they are going to approach Sansa leave King's Landing. Ser Dontos hasn't been seen last season and Little Finger supposedly left.

My wife is beginning to equate this show to True Blood which is apparently now so far away from the books that the show runners have admitted they are just doing their own thing now.

This seems pretty straight forward to me. Dontos sneaks her to whereever Littlefinger has a ship ready. He doesn't really have to be on the ship, he just needs to hire a captain/crew that will bring her to the Eyrie after silencing Dontos.

It's a minor change, but it still has the same end result.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #1288
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Punk Mother****er
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,227
Default

As for a Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons. I don't see that being more than two seasons. Feast was pretty brutal at times in terms of sheer boringness, mainly because of all the new characters. A lot of that can be done much quicker on a TV show, so half of that book probably can be summed up in a few episodes. And it's kind of the same thing in Dance to a degree.

I thought Martin really struggled with both books, at least compared to the first three. If they cherry pick storylines, and omit others, it might even be an improvement, though Dance started to pick things back up.

But, I mean, do we really need to spend time with the Sand Snakes? Is Darkstar really all that important to the overall storyline? Does anyone really give a flying crap about either of the princesses in Dorne? Is the ridiculous Quentyn arc really necessary? And how much time really needs to be spent on Daenerys and her social life in Meereen?

They can really trim the fat on those books, and they probably need to.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #1289
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,423
Default

Generally speaking, that's my feeling as well. The series will probably peak at the end of season 4. I'd hate to see them waste all that momentum on too many secondary and tertiary characters and subplots.

If they really feel a need to address more of that stuff, maybe they could add it as "extra" features for DVD sales.

Personally, I'd prefer to see all of book 4 and the corresponding background portion of book 5 collapsed into a single season.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #1290
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 50,345

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Rome and Deadwood may have had the soaring reviews like GoT but they didn't have the viewers like it. Also, GoT blu-rays and DVD sales are through the roof.
Rome also got torpedoed by the writers striker.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #1291
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!
 
Drunk Monkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Rome and Deadwood may have had the soaring reviews like GoT but they didn't have the viewers like it. Also, GoT blu-rays and DVD sales are through the roof.
And they could be so much better if HBO had a better way to watch their programing.

http://screenrant.com/most-pirated-t...-thrones-2012/
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #1292
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,890

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
As for a Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons. I don't see that being more than two seasons. Feast was pretty brutal at times in terms of sheer boringness, mainly because of all the new characters. A lot of that can be done much quicker on a TV show, so half of that book probably can be summed up in a few episodes. And it's kind of the same thing in Dance to a degree.

I thought Martin really struggled with both books, at least compared to the first three. If they cherry pick storylines, and omit others, it might even be an improvement, though Dance started to pick things back up.

But, I mean, do we really need to spend time with the Sand Snakes? Is Darkstar really all that important to the overall storyline? Does anyone really give a flying crap about either of the princesses in Dorne? Is the ridiculous Quentyn arc really necessary? And how much time really needs to be spent on Daenerys and her social life in Meereen?

They can really trim the fat on those books, and they probably need to.
Dorne is very important to the progression of the story, and I have a feeling the Sandsnakes will become bigger characters once Danny makes it Westeros. Darkstar has all of the physical features of a Targaryan, so there could be something there. I think Quintyn story explains how Euron happens upon his horn. All in all, both books set up a lot of future events.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #1293
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Punk Mother****er
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Dorne is very important to the progression of the story, and I have a feeling the Sandsnakes will become bigger characters once Danny makes it Westeros. Darkstar has all of the physical features of a Targaryan, so there could be something there. I think Quintyn story explains how Euron happens upon his horn. All in all, both books set up a lot of future events.
Not disputing that there are reasons Martin introduced them. Just disputing whether the show needs to introduce them or discuss them in the way Martin did. I expect an awful lot of the laborous backstory building to be trimmed away. I actually like what they're doing now with Gendry and Grey Worm to streamline the show, at the expense of Strong Belwas and Edric Storm. In the books I prefer the massive amount of characters, but they already can't give some major players like Bran and the freakin' dire wolves enough air time and development.

Feast was a tedious book for me, that never rose to the level of the others, if the show falls into that trap, it won't recover. I do think there are twenty quality episodes to be found between Feast and Dance, but the producers will have to be creative to craft them.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #1294
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,890

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Not disputing that there are reasons Martin introduced them. Just disputing whether the show needs to introduce them or discuss them in the way Martin did. I expect an awful lot of the laborous backstory building to be trimmed away. I actually like what they're doing now with Gendry and Grey Worm to streamline the show, at the expense of Strong Belwas and Edric Storm. In the books I prefer the massive amount of characters, but they already can't give some major players like Bran and the freakin' dire wolves enough air time and development.

Feast was a tedious book for me, that never rose to the level of the others, if the show falls into that trap, it won't recover. I do think there are twenty quality episodes to be found between Feast and Dance, but the producers will have to be creative to craft them.

Well they are already developing Reek, which trims down on DWD. I think the climatic nature of book three is going dig the hoks deep in many casual television fans. Between Sams journey, Johns ascent, Danny's troubles, Tyrions travels, the crazyness that unfolds in Dorne, Briennes perels, Cerseis treachery, the kingsmoot, Loris, and Arya; they have plenty of quality stuff to keep people interested. There is a lot of action when you can delete travel chapters where Brienne is just being suspicious, the princess of Dorne is in a room ect. There is acctually quite a bit of nonstop action when you line the books up.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #1295
myMind
splinters reality until
 
myMind's Avatar
 
We Grok

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,659

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Ohhhhhh there's something there:
This is the type of fan fiction that, once read, skews expectations. It seems so epic, but it's just a guess. A wild one at that.

If he is actually still alive this story moves into Dune territory.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #1296
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,423
Default

My guess is that he's just a miscellaneous Targ bastard. Probably some connection there, but he's way too young to be R.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #1297
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 50,345

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Knowing Martin's lust for frustrating readers, he may have left him alive to no meaningful end.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #1298
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,423
Default

Regarding Darkstar:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...d-of-darkstar/
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #1299
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,423
Default

The dude I'm most curious about is Maester Marwyn (the mage.)

Seems like he's got a big step up on most of the budding wizards & necromancers.

May very well be the "Arch-maester" for the "magic" link. Already had a big interest in this when most of the others still regarded it as an obscure liberal arts class. To that extent, a rebel within the Citadel.
Connected with Qyburn in terms of undead research. (ghosts)
Trained Mirri Maz Duur.
Has traveled extensively. Also hangs out with numerous undesirables.
He strongly implies to Sam that he has some kind of noble bloodline and seems to be taking him under his wing.
Somehow connected to "the Alchemist." May be in cohoots with Jaqen.
On course to meet up with Dany.
Has been studying this stuff (including the history of dragons) for a long time.

Could be an extremely helpful ally or a very dangerous foe. At the very least a key source of info for the major players.

Unless, of course, Jaqen snuffs him.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #1300
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,423
Default

Let's hope Theon gets spared the screen time tonight. Time to cut the poor guy some slack.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Denver Broncos