The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #1026
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Is this a spoiler for those that are up to date with the TV show?
No one is safe.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #1027
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
I've been left wanting at this point, so I'm looking at finding a new series to read. Bought and read the first Hunger Games book this weekend (wasn't a huge fan), so can I get some recomendations as to another good fantasy/sci-fi book?

What is the "full Jordan" you guys are talking about with the Wheel series? Is that something I want to stay away from?

Haven't read Dune, is that pretty decent?

The last time I really got into a series (aside from the Song of Ice and Fire) , was the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was in my teenage years, and I loved it.
Dune is rad. Read it. Read all of them, except the ones by his son (Brian Herbert). Those are stupid.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #1028
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
No one is safe.
Damnit. Adding these books to the pile is really the straw that broke the camel's back in so far as my endless reading list is concerned. Speed listening here I come.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #1029
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I've been left wanting at this point, so I'm looking at finding a new series to read. Bought and read the first Hunger Games book this weekend (wasn't a huge fan), so can I get some recomendations as to another good fantasy/sci-fi book?

What is the "full Jordan" you guys are talking about with the Wheel series? Is that something I want to stay away from?

The last time I really got into a series (aside from the Song of Ice and Fire) , was the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was in my teenage years, and I loved it.
The best Fantasy Book/Series I read in long time is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It very very very good. I read the 500 plus pages in less two days because I was so into that book and follow on one.

Also I liked JV Jones Sword of Shadows series. It is very solid read

And of course Cook's Black Company series which is master piece.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #1030
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The best Fantasy Book/Series I read in long time is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It very very very good. I read the 500 plus pages in less two days because I was so into that book and follow on one.

Also I liked JV Jones Sword of Shadows series. It is very solid read

And of course Cook's Black Company series which is master piece.
Big fan of those as well, Elsid.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #1031
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

"The Full Jordan" means the author allowing the story to get away from him/her - creating 30 or more Points of View, 250+ significant characters and 1,200+ minor ones - and then dying.

Agree whole heartedly with the Rothfuss suggestion.

I also like Brian Sanderson (the guy annointed to sort out the Robert Jordan mess and finish Wheel of Time) and Joe Abercrombie, among the newer authors - and if you haven't read Dune, there may be a whole bunch of classic, classic series that you missed back in the '80;s and '90's: Try David Eddings or Barbara Hambly or Anne McCaffrey..

Oh - and Dune is awesome.

Last edited by BroncsRule; 07-12-2012 at 09:59 AM..
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #1032
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Thanks for the replies everyone (and the Full Jordan Definition)...definitely checking out Dune first. That series was finished properly, correct?

Once I wrap those up, I'll come back and start with the next set!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #1033
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

JUST REMEMBERED! When I was younger, I read a bunch of the Xanth series (piers anthony). From what I recall, they were fun, easy to read fantasy books. Thinking about grabbing one from kindle...anyone recently read any of the newer ones? Are they considered more "teen" books?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #1034
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Xanth is certainly light hearted and tounge in cheek - and appropriate for young adults. If you like Xanth, try Terry Pratchett's Diskwold.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #1035
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony is good, or at least I really liked it when I was younger.

You might also dig "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Much darker and more adult. "Neverwhere" and "Stardust" are both good also.

Last edited by scorpio; 07-12-2012 at 11:25 AM..
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #1036
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone (and the Full Jordan Definition)...definitely checking out Dune first. That series was finished properly, correct?

Once I wrap those up, I'll come back and start with the next set!
I read the Dune series but wasn't as big a fan as some here. There are some big time and generation gaps between books (making each book it's own story). It didn't have that "series" feel to it, for me.

You could say it finished properly, because each book was its own story. But I don't think that term really applies to Dune.

Jordan's Wheel of Time is a continuous story. As others said, he did die before it ended, but purposely left all the detail to have a successor complete it. Brandon Sanderson has finished thee LAST book and it comes out in January. As diverse and sprawling as any story can be, it is still truly awesome.

Earlier in this thread I also mentioned Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It's a bit more simple than either Martin or Jordan, but quite good nonetheless. I thought the series started off a little predictable, but the books (and Goodkind's writing) got better as they went along. Book 6 (Faith of the Fallen) was one of my favorite books of any series, or any genre for that matter.

One more good one - Sharon Kay Penman - Here be Dragons. It's a historical fiction 3 book series. Set around 1100-1200 AD in England and Wales. Short review -> it's awesome.

On a sour note, anyone read or like Terry Brooks Shannara series? I read most of them. I thought they were terrible. Simple, predictable, cookie cutter, and boring. Funny part is I read at least 7 of them, maybe 9, until I finally called it quits. I was just hooked on series books at the time.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #1037
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
I read the Dune series but wasn't as big a fan as some here. There are some big time and generation gaps between books (making each book it's own story). It didn't have that "series" feel to it, for me.

You could say it finished properly, because each book was its own story. But I don't think that term really applies to Dune.

Jordan's Wheel of Time is a continuous story. As others said, he did die before it ended, but purposely left all the detail to have a successor complete it. Brandon Sanderson has finished thee LAST book and it comes out in January. As diverse and sprawling as any story can be, it is still truly awesome.

Earlier in this thread I also mentioned Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It's a bit more simple than either Martin or Jordan, but quite good nonetheless. I thought the series started off a little predictable, but the books (and Goodkind's writing) got better as they went along. Book 6 (Faith of the Fallen) was one of my favorite books of any series, or any genre for that matter.

One more good one - Sharon Kay Penman - Here be Dragons. It's a historical fiction 3 book series. Set around 1100-1200 AD in England and Wales. Short review -> it's awesome.

On a sour note, anyone read or like Terry Brooks Shannara series? I read most of them. I thought they were terrible. Simple, predictable, cookie cutter, and boring. Funny part is I read at least 7 of them, maybe 9, until I finally called it quits. I was just hooked on series books at the time.
Thanks for the release date on the last WOT - I had not heard that. Also thanks for the "Here be Dragons" - i like historical fiction as a changeup. Ever read Guy Gavriel Kay?

I gave up on Goodkind after the 3rd book. Seemed like he was going all Ayn Rand, and I couldn't hang.

And yeah - Terry Brooks sucks. Only ever read one of 'em - way back in the day.. Was the first one called "Sword of Shanara? I think that was it.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #1038
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I start Sword of Storms again this weekend. I'm finding that my second read-through of the series is just as epic as my first. I'm picking up on little details that I didn't catch the first time around - and the significance of certain events. SPOILER: ( Robert and Ned in the forest. Bran's dream before he wakes up. Ned's dreams while he's on the Milk of the Poppy. John Snow's wharg experience. Catelyn and Jamie's conversation in the cells. The ambition of Highgarden. Danery's visions in the house of the undying. )

I'm really looking forward to reading through this third book again. So much happens in it, and I'm excited to find new details that I missed before.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #1039
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Just started listening to 4th audio book. Im about 2 hours in and I was wondering where the hell are the main characters. I was getting so bored I had to check the net and see what was up. I was pissed to see that 2 of my fav characters are not in it (Snow and Tyrion.) And my other fav character is hardly in it. (Arya.) Im going to have a hard time gettng through this book. Its like reading a Harry Potter book with no Harry in it.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #1040
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

There is a rumor Ned stark had another bastard.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #1041
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Derek Snow
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #1042
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Just started listening to 4th audio book. Im about 2 hours in and I was wondering where the hell are the main characters. I was getting so bored I had to check the net and see what was up. I was pissed to see that 2 of my fav characters are not in it (Snow and Tyrion.) And my other fav character is hardly in it. (Arya.) Im going to have a hard time gettng through this book. Its like reading a Harry Potter book with no Harry in it.
I haven't read the books but after watching the series for 2 years now, this is one of the things that I find sorta frustrating. So many characters, you can't possibly keep them all going or go into any great depth on most of them.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 AM   #1043
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Book 4 & 5 are one giant book, split up toughly by geography/character set. Everyone you're missing is featured in B5.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 09-06-2012 at 03:01 AM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #1044
Jay3

Quote:
This is the critique I was making earlier in the thread -- Martin doesn't seem to be able to bring things back home and wrap up like a novel should. He keeps starting new character subplots, more moving parts. Just wait until you that some of them come to nothing, and have no effect on the overall plot.

He writes like he's writing for a weekly TV show that never ends, rather than a novel.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #1045
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Book 4 & 5 are one giant book, split up toughly by geography/character set. Everyone you're missing is featured in B5.
And reading these in real time ( when they were published), you would go 11 years without reading about the characters that are not mentioned in B4.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #1046
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
This is the critique I was making earlier in the thread -- Martin doesn't seem to be able to bring things back home and wrap up like a novel should. He keeps starting new character subplots, more moving parts. Just wait until you that some of them come to nothing, and have no effect on the overall plot.

He writes like he's writing for a weekly TV show that never ends, rather than a novel.

Interesting observation. I remember reading somewhere (probably on his blog) that GRRM cut his teeth writing for TV back in the '80's..
Old 09-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #1047
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
Interesting observation. I remember reading somewhere (probably on his blog) that GRRM cut his teeth writing for TV back in the '80's..
He was already decently established by that time, but yes, he did work for tv for a while
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #1048
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Mods, please don't move this thread. PLEEEEEASEEE
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #1049
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org