The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #676
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

yeah, i gotta stop reading this thread...i havent read the books
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #677
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I feel like a real a-hole now. Have every episode recorded and my grandma came and visited me bout 2 weeks ago, I turned her onto it, we watched every episode in marathon style from the first to the thirteenth, and she was b****ing about all the sex and violence. I'd known it was in there but kind of forgot how much was in there till she was b****ing about it. Oh well.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #678
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I feel like a real a-hole now. Have every episode recorded and my grandma came and visited me bout 2 weeks ago, I turned her onto it, we watched every episode in marathon style from the first to the thirteenth, and she was b****ing about all the sex and violence. I'd known it was in there but kind of forgot how much was in there till she was b****ing about it. Oh well.

My grandmother caught an episode where Theon's junk is on display. Apparently he reminds her of my grandfather when he was younger. Which is completely and utterly gross. I hope she means his face...

I really hope she means his face.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #679
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
A couple people have said that. What, exactly, makes it have a "soap" feel?
I would say the "soap" feel comes from having so many characters and all the dialog scene switching between all them and the fact there really is no lead character to help tie the plot to. And the amount of action for this type of series is more then a bit lacking. And there is a real void in the suspense department. I don't feel, between episodes, that I can't wait to see what happens next. I like the show, and I will still continue to watch it because there are some really good things I like about it but so far it's a bit of a let down overall.

Give Homeland a try. You'll get more action, more suspense. A very well made show so far.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #680
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
SPOILER: ( If Im not mistaken, we only see Hoat and his companions once through Aryas pov at Harrenhel, before he captures jaime. Since Hoat hasnt been cast, they may just leave out that scene where Arya sees them riding through the courtyard. I also doubt they will have Jaime being captured this season, though Im relatively certain he will be released this season. )
SPOILER: ( You are mistaken. Hoat is in 3 Arya chapters and 1 Tyrion chapter pre-SoS. Him and the Brave Companions are pretty familiar by the time they take Jaime and his hand )
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #681
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I would say the "soap" feel comes from having so many characters and all the dialog scene switching between all them and the fact there really is no lead character to help tie the plot to. And the amount of action for this type of series is more then a bit lacking. And there is a real void in the suspense department. I don't feel, between episodes, that I can't wait to see what happens next. I like the show, and I will still continue to watch it because there are some really good things I like about it but so far it's a bit of a let down overall.
I agree it's much more of an ensemble show than almost everything else on TV, though I would say that several characters emerge as the main characters (both in the books and the series): Dany, Jon, Ned (until he dies) and then Tyrion. Arya could be, but her story is so disconnected from the rest it's hard to classify what she is.

Anyway, I didn't realize that's "soapy" but OK =) I figured you were going to say it was too melodramatic or something like that.

It's doing a good job of being true to the source material despite the radical differences needed to make it a TV series. It's a very character driven/cerebral series, with a lot of the "happenings" going on in the character's head (Tyrion's chapters are generally a riot to read). The books don't have a ton of action. I would have been very upset had they converted it into a action packed, swords & sorcery type series.

Quote:
Give Homeland a try. You'll get more action, more suspense. A very well made show so far.
It's been on my list, but I don't have much time for TV these days. Hopefully showtime has some sort of streaming option like HBO that will let me watch at my leisure.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #682
Jay3

Quote:
What do you find gratuitous? Im curious. Every sexual act and squirmy, cringe inducing scene has happened in real life I would bet. Gay sex? yes it has. Incest? yes it has. ****ed up **** happening in a brothel? yes it has. Murder and betrayal? yes it has. Demon shadow babies? errr...maybe not so much.

What outside of your own taste and opinion says that a show should only portray the happy and moral side of life. I understand that some people dont like watching sex and grisly death, it makes them uncomfortable. These need to realize that some people don't mind the realism it adds.

Like many others here have said.
If you don't like, fine, just dont watch it, and dont bother the people who enjoy it.
I would answer, but you're not genuinely interested. You kept going and repeated the "just don't watch it" tripe.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #683
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post

Yeah, I've had to watch carefully who I recommend it to. I have a broad group of friends, all sorts -- soccer moms, older men, coworkers, etc. -- who I don't want to offend. Last week Littlefinger wiped visible, creamy spunk off the mouth of a whore and sent her over to kiss on a guy.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #684
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I would answer, but you're not genuinely interested. You kept going and repeated the "just don't watch it" tripe.
Probably because it's good advice to give someone who takes issue with the graphic nature of the story. BTW, if I wasn't interested, I wouldn't have asked.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #685
Jay3

Quote:
Probably because it's good advice to give someone who takes issue with the graphic nature of the story.
One day you'll develop a critical mind, and you'll learn it's okay to watch something and still have some critical thoughts about it. There's more categories between (1) love everything about it; and (2) don't watch it.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #686
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
... "The Mountain" is a straight evil dude that is probably the darkest character in the entire series, him or Roose Bolton's Bastard Son.
There are definitely a few characters who have no redeeming qualities at all. They tend to offset the vague grey types.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #687
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This book is blowing my mind... It's 1:30am and I'm sitting here elated cheering for Sandor Clegane. I've got to get some sleep, but how can I with all this adrenaline!

SPOILER: ( ARYA GOT NEEDLE BACK! SO AWESOME! I LOVE IT! )
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #688
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Storm of Swords is going to be a tough book to follow. I'm preparing myself for a let down with the next two books. I don't see any way this gets better until the final climax in book six. I'm going to look at the next two books as building up to that.

But man... Storm of Swords - excellent, excellent, excellent.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #689
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Storm of Swords is going to be a tough book to follow. I'm preparing myself for a let down with the next two books. I don't see any way this gets better until the final climax in book six. I'm going to look at the next two books as building up to that.

I liked aFfC way more than most, but it certainly doesnt compete with SoS

Also... There will be no final climax in book 6, sir
Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #690
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I liked aFfC way more than most, but it certainly doesnt compete with SoS

Also... There will be no final climax in book 6, sir
It feels like about 11 books at this point -- he's going all "Wheel of Time" on us.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #691
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

This thread is full of unmarked spoilers, not reading it anymore
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #692
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
It feels like about 11 books at this point -- he's going all "Wheel of Time" on us.
I'm guessing 8 or 9 even though he CLAIMS 7.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #693
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:

Most of the critics I've read agree that SoS is the book that really elevates this series into special territory.

You have one big advantage here, which is that you don't have to wait several years for books 4 and 5 to come out. Of course, who knows how long it will take for #6.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #694
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I found book 4 and 5 to be a let down in the first 1/3 of each, but once Martin get's the particular arcs moving they are excellent, though certainly not SoS level of epicness.

The problem with Book4&5 (really they are one book) is they are pretty much the lul between storms. The War of Five Kings pretty much burns out by the end of SoS and AFfC focuses on everyone in the seven kingdoms picking up the pieces and trying to put them back together. That's the meaning of the title -- literally crows feasting on the bodies of the dead after a battle.

Dance with Dragons is much better as it's dealing much less with the fallout of the wary, and by the time the timelines of 4&5 merge at the end things start picking up again.

One of the things that I find most interesting about a Feast for Crows is that SPOILER: ( we learn that Cersei is just as ineffective a leader as her late husband. Both were skilled (in different ways) in gaining the throne, but both are miserable failures at sitting it. )
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #695
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
I agree it's much more of an ensemble show than almost everything else on TV, though I would say that several characters emerge as the main characters (both in the books and the series): Dany, Jon, Ned (until he dies) and then Tyrion. Arya could be, but her story is so disconnected from the rest it's hard to classify what she is.

Anyway, I didn't realize that's "soapy" but OK =) I figured you were going to say it was too melodramatic or something like that.

It's doing a good job of being true to the source material despite the radical differences needed to make it a TV series. It's a very character driven/cerebral series, with a lot of the "happenings" going on in the character's head (Tyrion's chapters are generally a riot to read). The books don't have a ton of action. I would have been very upset had they converted it into a action packed, swords & sorcery type series.

It's been on my list, but I don't have much time for TV these days. Hopefully showtime has some sort of streaming option like HBO that will let me watch at my leisure.
Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be an action packed type of series but it is none the less lacking in that area. And the few action scenes of late have been terrible. I mean, some 6'5 duck footed women kicks the ass of that so called "
one of the best swordsmen" in that army, cmon.

FYI - Homeland info:

Congratulations to Homeland, winner of two Golden Globes including Best Television Series - Drama, and Best Performance by an Actress for Television - Drama: Claire Danes.

Season 1 is On Demand right now - http://www.sho.com/sho/schedules/ond...s/804/homeland

This is for sure a can't miss series. The acting and screen writing is as good as a featured film.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #696
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be an action packed type of series but it is none the less lacking in that area. And the few action scenes of late have been terrible. I mean, some 6'5 duck footed women kicks the ass of that so called "
one of the best swordsmen" in that army, cmon.
Brienne of Tarth is no slouch herself. And any fighting instructor will tell you, when you are facing an opponent who has 5 inches and 60 pounds on you and actually has a pretty decent clue of what they are doing in a fight, odds really aren't in your favor, no matter how good you are.

Ser Loras is very good. But Brienne is a Freak. Freak tends to trump very good.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #697
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Brienne of Tarth is no slouch herself. And any fighting instructor will tell you, when you are facing an opponent who has 5 inches and 60 pounds on you and actually has a pretty decent clue of what they are doing in a fight, odds really aren't in your favor, no matter how good you are.

Ser Loras is very good. But Brienne is a Freak. Freak tends to trump very good.
Also, longsword fighting just isn't very elegant. There's a reason they call it "hack 'n slash". Our modern sensibilities about sword fighting have been informed by 50+ years of Erol Flynn/musketeer style fencing and Star Wars light sabers. BTW, if you like accurate portrayals of period fighting, rent Ironclad.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #698
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yep - my fear is that he's going to "pull a Jordan" and die on us before he finishes.

IMHO, from reading his "not a blog" over the last couple 3 years, he's bored s#!tless with writing about Westros. He's nowhere near done and he's out of gas. But his incredibly high standards won't allow him to just mail it in.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #699
Buckey Backer

My wife got me into it and its an AWESOME series!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #700
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1478075.html

gotta say I'm starting to have a thing for red heads.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote