The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #551
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

It's an HBO show, why the hell do some of you guys have HBO if it's uncomfortable to watch some of these shows?

Most HBO shows have some sort of sex, sex talk, graphic nudity, etc... in them.

Cancel your HBO and go buy some more bibles and Dr. Suess books to drool over.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #552
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

If you want a family show watch something like Merlin on the BBC. Some adults, most adults want to watch programming like Game Of Thrones. Besides a lot of the episodes have no sex.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #553
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
It's an HBO show, why the hell do some of you guys have HBO if it's uncomfortable to watch some of these shows?

Most HBO shows have some sort of sex, sex talk, graphic nudity, etc... in them.

Cancel your HBO and go buy some more bibles and Dr. Suess books to drool over.
I don't have HBO. I talked about the books that I read and referenced the show. My wife saw it at her sister's house and said it was pretty sleasy, and she was uncomfortable watching it with her and her husband.

FWIW, I think the writer is talented, but I didn't like the darkness of the novels. Now I think the slease of HBO is ruining it. I was interested in watching the show, because I thought the book was dark but well written (except for that whole incest thing, which seems to be so central - I'm not convinced), but after talking it over with my wife, I'm uninterested.

So your view is that anybody who is uncomfortable with watching actor's having sex on an HBO show is AUTOMATICALLY a bible-thumping Suesser? Whatever.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #554
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
I don't have HBO. I talked about the books that I read and referenced the show. My wife saw it at her sister's house and said it was pretty sleasy, and she was uncomfortable watching it with her and her husband.

FWIW, I think the writer is talented, but I didn't like the darkness of the novels. Now I think the slease of HBO is ruining it. I was interested in watching the show, because I thought the book was dark but well written (except for that whole incest thing, which seems to be so central - I'm not convinced), but after talking it over with my wife, I'm uninterested.

So your view is that anybody who is uncomfortable with watching actor's having sex on an HBO show is AUTOMATICALLY a bible-thumping Suesser? Whatever.
Did your wife come up with the sex talk scenario, or was that all you? Do either of you cam?
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #555
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You seem like a nice guy but you really sound like a vagina right now. Im not sure if man card should be revoked or just feel sad for you.

I mean it sounds like you are ashamed about boobs
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #556
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

This thread just took a very awesome turn.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #557
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

X-FACTOR

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

If there is something amiss,
in your lower courtyard,
to whom will you beckon for help?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #558
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Anyone else just notice DarkHorse shoot down DarkHorse30?
This is why they couldn't have Osha and Asha in the same episode.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #559
vancejohnson82
The Invisible Man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

IMO, MTV has some of the trashiest television I've ever seen put on air

however, I'm not going to keep the de-railing of this thread continue....Game of Thrones is a great show/story
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #560
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I do think the cable shows over-play the nudity. Dexter was so into showing breasts they had one of their characters make fun of it. I suppose since the books don't get too detailed, seeing some of the violence and nudity first hand is a bit of shock. That said, I totally get why it wouldn't be for everybody.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #561
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I do think the cable shows over-play the nudity. Dexter was so into showing breasts they had one of their characters make fun of it. I suppose since the books don't get too detailed, seeing some of the violence and nudity first hand is a bit of shock. That said, I totally get why it wouldn't be for everybody.
Please... you make it sound like it's Ghostbusters or something.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #562
Jay3

It's unnecessary and over the top. They've got all sorts of things going on in the background at the whorehouse.

It limits the audience for the show, limits the number of people you can recommend it to in clear conscience, limits the age range of the show (old ladies and younger people).

I know most of you are like "Screw them, I con't care about other people, extended family, coworkers, kids, friends at church, screw them all for having a personality different from mine. If they're like that, they're defective and need to change." But it matters to me -- I enjoy having a shared experience of the story with a broad class of my fellow human beings. And Game of Thrones is so gratuitous that it inhibits that.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #563
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
It's unnecessary and over the top. They've got all sorts of things going on in the background at the whorehouse.

It limits the audience for the show, limits the number of people you can recommend it to in clear conscience, limits the age range of the show (old ladies and younger people).

I know most of you are like "Screw them, I con't care about other people, extended family, coworkers, kids, friends at church, screw them all for having a personality different from mine. If they're like that, they're defective and need to change." But it matters to me -- I enjoy having a shared experience of the story with a broad class of my fellow human beings. And Game of Thrones is so gratuitous that it inhibits that.
I feel the same way about movies with both Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. To each his own. You clearly aren't who the show is trying to cater to.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #564
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella

Richard III was a field guide.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss

Getting back to discussing the show, I find I'm starting to really get annoyed at some of the changes they have made in season 2. Replacing Jeyne Westerling with the Talisa character was a pretty lame move.

And of course there is still the Mago issue at play. According to George R. R. Martin, he is due to be a important re-occurring character in the upcoming Winds of Winter, but the show already killed him off in Season 1. I just wonder how they plan on back-tracking that one.

Last edited by v2micca; 05-01-2012 at 04:57 AM..
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #565
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I feel the same way about movies with both Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. To each his own. You clearly aren't who the show is trying to cater to.
Maybe not, even though I've read all five books and watch the show every week.

It's possible to like the show and still have a critical opinion. For example, it was dumb as rocks to end last week's show on the Vagina Smoke Man instead of Renly's murder. They should have done the cliffhanger on "what happened to Renly?" and hinted at Vagina Smoke Man.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #566
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Getting back to discussing the show, I find I'm starting to really get annoyed at some of the changes they have made in season 2. Replacing Jeyne Westerling with the Talisa character was a pretty lame move.
I think this is headed towards an improvement. One of the weak points of the books was how unmotivated Rob's marriage seemed to us, because it occurred "off camera." That kind of stuff won't work for episodic television. So I think a sassy medic was needed to spark our interest in how he fell for his plebian wife.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #567
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella

Richard III was a field guide.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss

Quote:
I think this is headed towards an improvement. One of the weak points of the books was how unmotivated Rob's marriage seemed to us, because it occurred "off camera." That kind of stuff won't work for episodic television. So I think a sassy medic was needed to spark our interest in how he fell for his plebian wife.

I disagree. The entire sub-plot with Jeyne was meant to underscore both Robb's youth, and his sense of honor that he inherited from his father.

Spoilerish for those who have not read the books. In the books, Robb is convalescing from an arrow wound when he receives some rather bad news from home. Jeyne Westerling, who had been tending to his injuries, attempts to confort him and being the emotional 16-17 year old kids they are, things get out of hand. Robb, being the possibly overly honorable lad that he is, chooses to marry the girl.

Honestly, in the context of the series, and given the character of Robb Stark, the entire situation made perfect sense. It also re-in-forced the continuing themes of men allowing honor to blind them from common sense often to their own demise.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #568
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Anyone else just notice DarkHorse shoot down DarkHorse30?
Hehehe - wasn't meant like that but......

And no I don't automatically think people who dislike sex on TV are bible thumping suessers, I think they have homosexual tendencies.

j/k - watch what you want while you can. If these idiot bible thumpers make it into office we're all going to be watching reboots of Mr. Rodgers neighborhood or teletubbies.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #569
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
... I think a sassy medic was needed to spark our interest in how he fell for his plebian wife.
Good point. Another thing is this. In order to streamline Arya's story, they cut out a lot of the "countryside" scenes that showed just how deadly and disruptive the civil war has become for the peasants and villagers - - something that will play a bigger role later. This was a chance to show that a lot of the rank and file citizenry and footsoldiers don't really give a damn who's in charge because they are too busy just trying to stay alive.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #570
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sounds like a couple people here would be better served watching the Disney channel.

No hate to people who simply don't like the books and/or how HBO does it, but I'm deadly curious: If it's vile and reprehensible as some claim, why do you still watch it and come into a thread to whine about it?

Personally, things I find vile I tend to avoid...
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #571
lolcopter

Despite this being a fictional story, much much worse has happened in real life over the course of history re: incestruous royalty, torture, sadistic sexual tendencies, etc.

If you wanna live in a safe little bubble, have at it. Just don't write off what is shaping up to be a phenomenal television production because you thinking everything on HBO (lol) should be rated TV-G
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #572
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
No hate to people who simply don't like the books and/or how HBO does it, but I'm deadly curious: If it's vile and reprehensible as some claim, why do you still watch it and come into a thread to whine about it?

Personally, things I find vile I tend to avoid...
I gave my reasons -- it's unnecessary (what people call "gratuitous") and therefore lessons the product. When something is put into the picture that seems gratuitous, it snaps you out of the "spell" that a movie or tv show can have and you, and makes it not as good. It's a criticism, and a valid one. The answer to all criticisms is not "well don't watch it." That's the answer to someone who wants it taken off the air. To someone who is watching it and enjoying it every week (myself), it's invalid to respond like that -- we are entitled to question the product on the screen, whether it's because it's boring, poorly acted, adapted from the books wrong, or in this case, containing too much gratuitous boobies. It makes a large part of the population not want to watch it, and I would prefer they make it for a slightly broader audience.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #573
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I gave my reasons -- it's unnecessary (what people call "gratuitous") and therefore lessons the product. When something is put into the picture that seems gratuitous, it snaps you out of the "spell" that a movie or tv show can have and you, and makes it not as good. It's a criticism, and a valid one. The answer to all criticisms is not "well don't watch it." That's the answer to someone who wants it taken off the air. To someone who is watching it and enjoying it every week (myself), it's invalid to respond like that -- we are entitled to question the product on the screen, whether it's because it's boring, poorly acted, adapted from the books wrong, or in this case, containing too much gratuitous boobies. It makes a large part of the population not want to watch it, and I would prefer they make it for a slightly broader audience.

while this makes sense, and I get what you are saying- i disagree partially.

A large part of the population does watch it as it is booming and the books have become best sellers now and dinklage and some other were up or won Emmys because of this show, which is there because of the large population.

Also, the larger population of men in the world feel that any boob shot is a good shot. And not overzealous by any means. I do not feel that the show has gone too far on the boobies and ass, hell you even see hodors wang in the first series. But it is what makes the appeal. This is an adult show, which mimics real life and the book very very closely. I think most of the audience that watch this show enjoy the uncensored part of it as we can relate to this show as we do in life.

Maybe not all the whoring and such but you get what I mean. I think it is perfect!
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #574
Gort
Ring of Famer

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #575
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Wow... just be glad that they haven't shown or created the back story of "The Mountain". You'd really by boo-hooing judging by the amount you let some boobies on TV affect you. "The Mountain" is a straight evil dude that is probably the darkest character in the entire series, him or Roose Bolton's Bastard Son.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote