The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #426
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 51,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I haven't seen the new season yet. I will soon....and that's all I'll say about that.

But yes, Tyrion's inner-dialogue is one of the things that makes him likeable. There's a lot of jokes that he says in his head that are funny too.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #427
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,300

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I haven't read the books,but will. I saw the GoT last night and I am on my way to the store to get the 1st season. I wish I had HBO last yr.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #428
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,638

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
I haven't read the books,but will. I saw the GoT last night and I am on my way to the store to get the 1st season. I wish I had HBO last yr.
Damn dude.. bad luck watching the season 2 premier before watching/reading the first season/book.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #429
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

It's weird how this is one of the best shows on television, and it's not the geek elements that make it good. It's one of the best acted, best filmed shows I've seen.

I really can't imagine following it without having read the books, though. I guess it works. Plenty of people seem to like it without having read them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #430
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,379

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
It's weird how this is one of the best shows on television, and it's not the geek elements that make it good. It's one of the best acted, best filmed shows I've seen.

I really can't imagine following it without having read the books, though. I guess it works. Plenty of people seem to like it without having read them.
Well its not a "geek show." Its not about guys who swing from buildings with spider webs fighting "evil." This season seems to be a fight to fill a power vacuum for a kingdom that cannot be ruled. Its the failure of a system that is resulting in anarchy. Thats based in something real.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #431
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,720

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lorenzo Doss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's what I did. And if you are a third of the way in you can watch episodes 1 & 2 for sure. I found the show helped me with all the different characters. I was really impressed with how some of the Actors accurately portray the characters. Peter Dinklage very clearly deserved his Emmy for Tyrion. He isn't as ugly as in the books, but everything else is there. Sean Bean really hits on Ned's annoyed distaste for intrigue and his dismissive nature toward even trying to be subtle. Michelle Fairley actually made a Catelyn Stark stronger than she was in my mind and Lena Headley played Cercei Lanister weaker and almost exhausted, which I wasn't a big fan of.

The biggest surprise is the kids. All the young actors are amazing and push the show into excellence. Sensa, Arya, Jon, Robb and especially the awesomely despicable Joffrey are amazing.

Like all of these, the books are better but the show is great.

I know this guy isn't going to get too much attention, but I loved his character in the books and of all the interpretations in the show, he is the closest to the producers literally plucking the image in my mind right out of my head and putting it to film. Jerome Flynn's completely owns as Bronn the sell-sword. God I love that character and love the way Flynn plays him.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #432
onbohio
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I am about 50 pages into Dance of Dragons. I picked up season 1 on dvd. I really enjoy this series. One question. What happened to Rickon? I have read all the books so far and can't seem to remember what happened to him. If it isn't revealed till Dance of Dragons, guess I don't want to know. Am I not remembering?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #433
Broncomutt
USA
 
Broncomutt's Avatar
 
Defending Super Bowl Champions!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onbohio View Post
I am about 50 pages into Dance of Dragons. I picked up season 1 on dvd. I really enjoy this series. One question. What happened to Rickon? I have read all the books so far and can't seem to remember what happened to him. If it isn't revealed till Dance of Dragons, guess I don't want to know. Am I not remembering?
He and Bran were forced to flee Theon. I believe he split up from Bran at the end of A Storm of Swords and went with Osha, though I don't remember if it was clear exactly where. Bran went north. Can't remember Rickon being mentioned again after that. He's 'out there' somewhere.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #434
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 16,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm about 1/3 the way through the first book. Great read so far. I don't want to watch any of the shows until I finish the book, but I'm tempted to start season one and just watch up to the point that I am at in the book.
That will work well for Season 1. There are a couple of minor expository scenes in the show that got moved up from where they were in the books - mostly to make things a bit easier to follow, but you probably won't encounter too many spoilers so long as you don't watch too far ahead in the show.

I don't think that will work for Season 2, though. From what I've read and heard, more of the sequences are going to get switched around in Season Two (from books two and three), including a couple of really big ones (plotwise).
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #435
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
 
Steve Sewell's Avatar
 
Patrick and Ty's pimp

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,744

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post

Also, I think sometimes scenes in the book translate differently into the show. Like the bastard slaying scene last night, I think it held true to the book, but it hits home a lot harder when you're watching it as opposed to reading about it. See a dude with a knife and baby is rough to watch, easier to read.
I advise you to not read American Psycho.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #436
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I can't wait for Downton Abby to start back up. I am watching season 1 of GoT on DVD and it cannot compare to Downton Abby. Though the soft core porn is entertaining
I talked my wife into watching the 1st episode. She told me I could keep watching more if I wanted, but I'd be left alone with my lotion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #437
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!
 
zdoor's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Templeton, Ca.
Posts: 1,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's what I did. And if you are a third of the way in you can watch episodes 1 & 2 for sure. I found the show helped me with all the different characters. I was really impressed with how some of the Actors accurately portray the characters. Peter Dinklage very clearly deserved his Emmy for Tyrion. He isn't as ugly as in the books, but everything else is there. Sean Bean really hits on Ned's annoyed distaste for intrigue and his dismissive nature toward even trying to be subtle. Michelle Fairley actually made a Catelyn Stark stronger than she was in my mind and Lena Headley played Cercei Lanister weaker and almost exhausted, which I wasn't a big fan of.

The biggest surprise is the kids. All the young actors are amazing and push the show into excellence. Sensa, Arya, Jon, Robb and especially the awesomely despicable Joffrey are amazing.

Like all of these, the books are better but the show is great.
Agree. Was pleasantly surprised how well the actors have done. A little unsure of Stannis and Melisandre so far but that might just be that I had them pictured totally differently in my mind...
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #438
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoor View Post
Agree. Was pleasantly surprised how well the actors have done. A little unsure of Stannis and Melisandre so far but that might just be that I had them pictured totally differently in my mind...
I also pictured them differently too, but thats alright.



Bronn- Yes, I love his character too, and the guy who plays him does well. One of my favs.
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #439
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 45,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Apples and Oranges, Steven. They are completely different shows. My Wife and I are big fans of both, but there are aspects of GoT that DA cannot compete with. Scope/scale/complexity of story/cast numbers. Most of us raving about GoT have read the books, and this gives a completely different take on the show. Peter Dinklage won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister. As for the "Soft Porn", its HBO...what do you expect. You might want to wait until you've seen the whole of season 1 before you pass judgement as there is a tremendous amount of groundwork/introduction to be done.
Wagners Ring started slow too so I see your point but Lady Mary > Lady Stark.

;^ )
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #440
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 645
Default

I'm interested to see how they cast Theon's sister Asha and Brienne.
JLesSPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #441
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,296

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
I'm interested to see how they cast Theon's sister Asha and Brienne.


Not sure if you or anyone has ever played FableII for xbox360 (might be same for PS3) but anyway, there is a character in that game called Hammer- I picture Brienne to look exactly like her. Only more horse faced.

on a side note of that- it must suck to be the actress chosen for her part, because you have to be ugly with a horse face- knowing that cant feel good.
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #442
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 51,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Tyrion was supposed to be ugly and they just cast a talented small person. I'm sure they'll ugly up the actress a bit, but they might not be putting out the Steve Buscemi of women...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #443
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,638

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
I'm interested to see how they cast Theon's sister Asha and Brienne.
Brienne has been cast.

Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #444
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
It's weird how this is one of the best shows on television, and it's not the geek elements that make it good. It's one of the best acted, best filmed shows I've seen.

I really can't imagine following it without having read the books, though. I guess it works. Plenty of people seem to like it without having read them.
I'm amazed by the detail to the wardrobes and costumes, and the sets. It's like watching an expensively made movie every episode.

Hey did anyone notice the part where Joffery the boy king was going to kill the guy by forcing wine down his throat? That is sort of a nod to Caligula, which is a really strange movie about Roman life.

My favorite character though is Arya she is a badass. I can't wait to see her do some killing. I am assuming she will lol. I haven't read books but maybe she ends up being a hero. Just a feeling. I was bummed they barely showed her in the first episode. But it was smart directing. It added to the sense that no one in the story really knows what happened to her.

Just awesome writing, great acting, and the set work and costume work is top notch.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #445
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 51,275

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Brienne has been cast.

That's Gwedoline Christie. She's not Kate Upton, but she doesn't have a Horse Face.

Then again, neither does Arya. I would have laughed if they offered the part to Sarah Jessica Parker.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #446
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 17,370
Default

Excellent episode.

I should just wait until the season is over and watch it in one night.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #447
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Damn dude.. bad luck watching the season 2 premier before watching/reading the first season/book.
Yep it ruins the big surprise when Stark gets his head chopped off.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #448
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman
 
Dutch's Avatar
 
Leatherneck

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Excellent episode.

I should just wait until the season is over and watch it in one night.
Butt-numb-a-thon!

Pretty much what we did here at our place this last weekend. Younger Bro' came over to celebrate his B-day with us on Saturday afternoon. He saw the Blu-ray box set sitting out....and that was that. We were going to go to the movies, but it was for his Birthday. We ended up cooking Brats on the grill at about 1230, then camped out with Season 1 until 0200 Sunday morning. Crashed, got up and made a huge breakfast/brunch and finished off the last 2 episodes. Great time and set us up for the premier of season 2 perfectly! The show really does play even better when viewed straight through. We'll DVR Season2 so we can do the same with it later this summer when it is to hot to do much outside.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #449
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman
 
Dutch's Avatar
 
Leatherneck

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,802

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Wagners Ring started slow too so I see your point but Lady Mary > Lady Stark.

;^ )
Heh heh heh. Yeah, Lady Mary is quite lick....er, likable. None of the gals in Thrones has that kind of appeal to me. However, there are so many things coming up in Thrones that should be cool as hell. I am floored at the production value of this show. The rumor is that after the critical success of last season, HBO increased the overall production budget by something like 30-40%. They have been looking for a successor to The Sopranos since it ended. Something that would give them a 7-8 year run with consistent and distinctly higher quality than anything any other network was doing. Word is that they are thrilled with everything so far, but are pressuring Martin a bit to get the last two books completed.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #450
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 45,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Heh heh heh. Yeah, Lady Mary is quite lick....er, likable. None of the gals in Thrones has that kind of appeal to me. However, there are so many things coming up in Thrones that should be cool as hell. I am floored at the production value of this show. The rumor is that after the critical success of last season, HBO increased the overall production budget by something like 30-40%. They have been looking for a successor to The Sopranos since it ended. Something that would give them a 7-8 year run with consistent and distinctly higher quality than anything any other network was doing. Word is that they are thrilled with everything so far, but are pressuring Martin a bit to get the last two books completed.
I loved what HBO did with Rome and I like the GoT concept but it is hard to establish a whole world and it's machinations in 1 hour episodes and keep the plot moving. I am hoping this coming season is even better, I sure as hell want it to be. I love the concept.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Denver Broncos