The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #2701
GobBluth
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnykbr View Post
Was Jaime that torn up about his father dying in the books? For some reason I don't think so.
He was....he stood guard over his corpes for hours upon hours....days upon days. If I remember right.
GobBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #2702
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The big thing about me is the lack of Euron Greyjoy and that whole story. It is a shame that is being left out because it's really enjoyable and crucial to the books, IMHO.
Maybe they're holding that back on that for a future season?
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #2703
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Maybe they're holding that back on that for a future season?
It would be so far out of time (as far as the books are concerned) it wouldn't make sense.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #2704
GobBluth
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
For me, the worst part about being a book reader is the strangely undeserved hubris other book readers use to criticize the show.
I wish I never read the books. I mean, there are things I really like about both...but this season is pretty bad. Just from an execution standpoint. It's just not very good and worst of all it's boring.

Do you really like this season thus far?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #2705
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Yeah. I've really loved the new content with Arya and I'm a big Jaime and Bronn fan so I'm glad they're getting a more relevant story arc.

Then again, I'm also not tunnel visioned on "GEORGE DID IT DIFFERENT AND BETTER!"

...and quite frankly, the latter is certainly arguable when you consider how long plotlines have dragged from affc and adwd
Having a preference for the story in the books isn't "tunnel vision". I mean most of the changes they are making lately are just daft (taking a fishing boat into Valyria for instance). I had no problem with the changes they had made up until this season for what it's worth.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #2706
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The books are way worse. If you don't like your fantasy dark, brutal, and tragic this isn't your bag.
They would only be darker, more brutal and more tragic if Cormac McCarthy took all the books and rewrote them.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 05-18-2015 at 04:02 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #2707
GobBluth
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yeah. I've really loved the new content with Arya and I'm a big Jaime and Bronn fan so I'm glad they're getting a more relevant story arc.

Then again, I'm also not tunnel visioned on "GEORGE DID IT DIFFERENT AND BETTER!"

...and quite frankly, the latter is certainly arguable when you consider how long plotlines have dragged from affc and adwd
I am glad they crowbarred Bron in. He's amazing. Plus having Jaime in Dorn is more interesting than him attacking the Tully's.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #2708
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:

Sorry disagree here, the Jaime/Bronn story arc is very boring with Bronn saving it with his one liners. Tyrion is on the run with Jorah, boring as hell. Arya storyline is intriguing, but extremely slow. Jon Snow storyline seems stuck. Even the Cersei versus Margerae (sp?) isn't generating my interest because it's too predictable in the show.

I'll still watch but I worry that we won't see the conclusion of this story at the rate this thing is slowed down, I remember there being discussion to slow down the show to ensure it won't catch up to the books.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #2709
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
They would only be darker, more brutal and more tragic if Cormac McCarthy took all the books and rewrote them.
They'd be a lot shorter too.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #2710
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Sorry disagree here, the Jaime/Bronn story arc is very boring with Bronn saving it with his one liners. Tyrion is on the run with Jorah, boring as hell. Arya storyline is intriguing, but extremely slow. Jon Snow storyline seems stuck. Even the Cersei versus Margerae (sp?) isn't generating my interest because it's too predictable in the show.

I'll still watch but I worry that we won't see the conclusion of this story at the rate this thing is slowed down, I remember there being discussion to slow down the show to ensure it won't catch up to the books.
I don't know why they would care one way or the other about catching up to the books now that the storyline in the books is a mere suggestion to them.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #2711
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

This GOT season is like Rocky 5. Very underwhelming.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #2712
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:
I don't know why they would care one way or the other about catching up to the books now that the storyline in the books is a mere suggestion to them.
http://io9.com/game-of-thrones-is-ca...tin-1541406775
Old 05-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #2713
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
That link doesn't seem to suggest they want to slow the show down to not catch up with Martin. And Martin is totally delusional if he thinks they aren't going to outpace him. That dude writes at a glacial pace.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #2714
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

X-FACTOR

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
That link doesn't seem to suggest they want to slow the show down to not catch up with Martin. And Martin is totally delusional if he thinks they aren't going to outpace him. That dude writes at a glacial pace.
It doesn't matter anymore. The show is a completely different vehicle than the books now. Whether they finish before Martin is immaterial. He's already said as much. He's got stuff planned that he says is going to completely floor the show writers and audience in general.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #2715
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

X-FACTOR

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

That's over a year old. Martin has since come to grips with it.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #2716
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

X-FACTOR

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobBluth View Post
I wish I never read the books. I mean, there are things I really like about both...but this season is pretty bad. Just from an execution standpoint. It's just not very good and worst of all it's boring.

Do you really like this season thus far?
Personally, I don't understand why people aren't enjoying this season, especially juxtaposed against the characters from Season 1. I've really been enjoying this season, and have just been along for the ride seeing what the producers have in mind. It reminds me of Season 3, when I heard the same stuff all season long, until the end when everyone got floored by the Red Wedding.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #2717
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It doesn't matter anymore. The show is a completely different vehicle than the books now. Whether they finish before Martin is immaterial. He's already said as much. He's got stuff planned that he says is going to completely floor the show writers and audience in general.
That's pretty much what I said in an earlier post. They are so far off the books' storyline it doesn't even matter anymore.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #2718
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

I still have enjoyed a lot of the season. I think it has had some great moments.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #2719
GobBluth
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So far this season they've covered:

Mance's execution
Jon Snow turning down Stannis
becoming LC
executing Slynt
and now bringing in the Wildlings...

They're certainly on pace to have his storyline caught up to the books in just one season as opposed to nearly 3,000 pages, yet it's the SHOW that has his storyline stuck?

This is the kind of nonsense I'm talking about
The Jon Snow story line is the best part of the season...and it's not all that great. It's not necessarily WHAT the story is but how they are executing it. It's lacking.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #2720
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

This show can basically do no wrong for me, but aryas storyline is starting to feel claustrophobic. I do trust the creatives, so I'm looking forward to what's next
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #2721
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter

Quote:

Mance's execution
becoming LC
executing Slynt

They're certainly on pace to have his storyline caught up to the books in just one season as opposed to nearly 3,000 pages, yet it's the SHOW that has his storyline stuck?

With respect to the show, Snow storyline seems, yes, stuck. With everyone else in the show running off to places to save someone or their own lives. Jon Snow appears in no danger at all and is still at the Wall. Those events you rattled off were interesting but left me thinking it could have been done better. Now Snow is off to get the Wildings to the other side of the wall, so hopefully things can pick up then.

Hopefully it's all setting up to something massive like Taco said about season three. Otherwise I don't think I'd rewatch season 5 at this point.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #2722
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
With respect to the show, Snow storyline seems, yes, stuck. With everyone else in the show running off to places to save someone or their own lives. Jon Snow appears in no danger at all and is still at the Wall. Those events you rattled off were interesting but left me thinking it could have been done better. Now Snow is off to get the Wildings to the other side of the wall, so hopefully things can pick up then.

Hopefully it's all setting up to something massive like Taco said about season three. Otherwise I don't think I'd rewatch season 5 at this point.
I think the potential of stories in the North are huge if the show runners take advantage. I would love a change in the story if Jon goes to Hardhome first before his encounter.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #2723
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

X-FACTOR

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Mance's execution
becoming LC
executing Slynt

No kidding. Plus it looks like they're skipping book 4 entirely and going straight into book 5, which means that the end of this season is going to be pretty damned shocking for everyone involved on several story fronts - and one in particular.

They're doing GRRM a huge favor because everyone is going to want to buy the books to find out just how "stuck" the Jon Snow storyline is.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:25 AM   #2724
PRBronco
2016 OM Mock Draft Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Courage Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This is good to hear. Do you happen to remember where you read that? I'd like to check it out.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #2725
Brohemoth
Ring of Famer

Question everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bronn better not die from that little cut. He is one of our few sources of comedy.
Brohemoth is offline   Reply With Quote