The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Copa America Centenario

Kicked off this evening with USA v. Colombia.

The US team is in the toughest group and will probably struggle.

I pick a Mexico/Argentina final and Argentina wins on a controversial call.
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It won't be the USA that's for sure. This team sucks.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
retro
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Who even cares.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
enjolras
Ring of Famer

If you don't like soccer.. don't read the thread.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
If you don't like soccer.. don't read the thread.
Easy enough, right?
Old 06-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #6
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It won't be the USA that's for sure. This team sucks.
They don't play with heart.

A lifeless US team is not a US team. If they're not inspired, I'm not inspired. I'd rather invest myself in Mexico at this point.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Team USA lacks the talent of other countries along with a lack heart and good coaching. Outside of that, they are pretty much on par with the women.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #8
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

That was weak. Done with Dempsey, seems like an entitled whiner that the young guys follow. More interested in getting fouled than making the play. That crap drives me nuts.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
That was weak. Done with Dempsey, seems like an entitled whiner that the young guys follow. More interested in getting fouled than making the play. That crap drives me nuts.
Interesting diving note...

James Rodriguez hurt his shoulder diving on a play that looked like he didn't even get touched.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Team USA lacks the talent of other countries along with a lack heart and good coaching. Outside of that, they are pretty much on par with the women.
There is plenty of talent out there.

The entire US defense play premiership or bundesliga soccer every week. The two outside backs are flat out studs and John Brooks is a rising star.

The US team actually looked in control for much of the game, but they just didn't seem to want the win. It seemed like few had the courage to step up and make things happen.

They let in an early set piece goal and then had a ridiculous penalty kick go against them. Yedlin's handball was clearly incidental and didn't disrupt a scoring opportunity.

They came out scared, had some bad breaks, and didn't have the spine to fight back.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #11
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
team actually looked in control for much of the game, but they just didn't seem to want the win. It seemed like few had the courage to step up and make things happen.
This is nonsense you say about a team that you want to believe is better than they are. Basically what gunner fans trot out every year in about March.

The penalty was a direct result of a Bradley bonehead turnover, which this team always seems to have four or five of in a game. They may have talent, but they lack polish and cohesion. I don't see a team that played scared, I saw a team that just isn't very good.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:18 AM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Do you speak English, Mother ****er?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #13
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I was actually encouraged by their friendlies... But nope, same old ****
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
This is nonsense you say about a team that you want to believe is better than they are. Basically what gunner fans trot out every year in about March.

The penalty was a direct result of a Bradley bonehead turnover, which this team always seems to have four or five of in a game. They may have talent, but they lack polish and cohesion. I don't see a team that played scared, I saw a team that just isn't very good.
Sure. Excuses, excuses.

The penalty was ridiculous though. No doubt about that.

I read that the US changed their game plan for Colombia. They assigned Jones to retreat and help Fabian Johnson with Cuadrado rather than to push higher up the field to help connect passes through the packed Colombian midfield. Jones was upset about it and made a comment suggesting that their attack was hindered by it.

Fabian Johnson was invisible in this one except for when he lost his mark.

Dempsey was unlucky. He shaved the post in the first half, had a header cleared off the line, and had the keeper make a great save on a free kick he placed in the corner.

The only real chance Colombia created from the run of play was the play Bacca put off the bar.

The US team didn't get the breaks. They weren't any worse than Colombia.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #15
D.B.
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rico

Growing up as an American in Colombia, I was really excited for this match and had mixed allegiances. It was probably the most excited I had been for a sporting event since the Superbowl, but that was an incredibly boring match. It had a few glimpses of what can make soccer exciting, but just glimces.
D.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #16
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. View Post
Growing up as an American in Colombia, I was really excited for this match and had mixed allegiances. It was probably the most excited I had been for a sporting event since the Superbowl, but that was an incredibly boring match. It had a few glimpses of what can make soccer exciting, but just glimces.
This was the first time I have ever seen a talented team have a conservative, defense-oriented game plan that relied on quick counters against a US team.

They wouldn't chase the ball down when the US had it until they passed midfield and they would put the most effort into their counter attacks rather than building through the midfield.

Colombia packed the middle quarter of the field to slow down Bradley and Jones and Zardes couldn't collect the ball and distribute it to the overlapping backs because we were playing conservative and keeping them pushed toward the back.

So the ball basically went back and forth over the half line, changing possession, for large swaths of the game.

It was a defensive game.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

The U.S. seemed to give up in the last 15-20 minutes of the match. A lot of poor passing and half-effort. That's disappointing. It was time to really make their skills and patience work, but they just fell flat. Isn't Columbia ranked 3rd or 4th in the world? It's understandable if Team USA doesn't beat them, but they've got to at least try harder.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #18
D.B.
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
The U.S. seemed to give up in the last 15-20 minutes of the match. A lot of poor passing and half-effort. That's disappointing. It was time to really make their skills and patience work, but they just fell flat. Isn't Columbia ranked 3rd or 4th in the world? It's understandable if Team USA doesn't beat them, but they've got to at least try harder.
Colombia is third
Attached Images

D.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

scio me nihil scire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Are you talking about the guy with the 2 best scoring opportunities in the game? Yeah he's worthless.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #20
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B. View Post
Well unfortunately and fortunately, I guess, that was probably one of the ugliest soccer matches ever played. The US is severely devoid of skill, most notably ball control, and despite Colombia's inflated world ranking, they are a team built around a few talented players, but play a style of soccer that is about as vanilla and safe as it comes.

Granted, one must note that these teams haven't had time to gel, and their lack of chemistry played huge dividends into the boreish nature of play, but really there is little excuse for supposed world class or nationaly recognized talent.

Coaching on both sides was terrible. Klinsmans decision to try and exploit his height advantage by sending 30-40 yard long balls over the top when Colombias back line was standing on the 30 yard box was deplorable,
and desperate. The US put together one good run of play, and it led to Dempsey's near miss, other than that they looked amateur at best. Meanwhile, Colombia, with the early goal in hand, made the US force the game and played a lackluster counterattacking style that was really only slightly better than the US's sorry ass attempt at throwing hail-marys because they have better talent from the midfield up.

That match made me want to vomit.

Last edited by DivineLegion; 06-04-2016 at 06:41 PM..
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
Are you talking about the guy with the 2 best scoring opportunities in the game? Yeah he's worthless.
Where did I say he was worthless? And what was the final score?

There's a saying in soccer, "FINISH!"
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #22
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The USA got a good result when Costa Rica tied Paraguay 0-0.

US Soccer is guaranteed passage to round 2 with two wins and has a chance to get through with a win and a tie.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #23
RonMexico
Hillary is obsolete

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Peru is on top of group B after a 1-0 win over a spirited Haiti squad and a 0-0 tie between Brazil and Ecuador.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

For Gort

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Nice answer tonight
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #25
NoFlyZone
Solid Starter