The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Great OL Article: Interview with current OL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/feature...e-line-of-fire

Some very very interesting tidbits, thank God we have a great OL coach:

Let's talk about Pro Football Focus since it is a group that grades players -- and you guys -- and it is featured on Sunday Night Football in large part because Cris Collinsworth is an owner. Assignment-wise, can they possibly know what your assignment is on each play?

Massie: No. They don't know the play. They don't know what each lineman has to do.

Long: If you turn on the film, you can see it's a zone concept. But there may be a Bob concept in there. There may be a wham concept in there. There may be we're booking this guy. We're not going to block him. But on film, it might look like Bobby Massie didn't even touch the guy. When in reality, Bobby went and got the linebacker and put him on the safety. And Cris Collinsworth doesn't know that.

Richburg: We were talking about when a running back gives up a sack that it's automatically our fault because nobody knows what the assignment is. If the quarterback is down, it's our fault.

Have you all faced stubborn coaches who want it done their way and only their way?

Richburg: They try and put you in a cookie-cutter.

Long: Show me your All-Pro jersey, coach, and I will do what you do. LeCharles Bentley has one of those.

Warmack: I had one dude (coach) who played D-III football at linebacker. And he's teaching me how to play offensive line? If there's nothing wrong with that, you tell me. I play offensive line. I don't play linebacker. I definitely didn't play D-III football. Not knocking D-III schools out there. We're talking about the highest level of football in the world. And you have a guy who has never put his hand in the dirt teaching me how to block. You don't think there's anything wrong with that? I appreciate a coach who is open-minded to questions and comments. They don't want to hear a question that questions their philosophy. When they are closed-minded, it stunts the growth of the offensive lineman.

Long: At some point, you have to say I am doing what you tell me to do. But at the same time, you spend eight weeks here with LeCharles and eight weeks with elite guys like Weston, Chance and Bobby. You take things from each other. Why be here if you're not going to take what you learn here? Everybody has a tool belt. We load that sucker up here. That's what we take pride in doing.

You won't change when you go to camp?

Massie: In practice you have to do what the coaches want to make them happy. Make them feel like they have the big d--- in the room. On game day, you have to do your own stuff. The coaches, they're not out there blocking. They're in a big, comfortable chair with the clicker. The O-line and D-line are the best athletes on the field. It's not the quarterback, the receivers or the corners. We're going against the biggest, strongest, fastest in the world.

Long: You sink to the level of your training. We train here, not just football but for life.

Richburg: You have to be coachable and respect what they say. But ultimately you're the one out there on Sunday. You have to do what you are trained to do.

Is it hard to break bad habits?

Massie: Hell yeah, that's why it's a bad habit.

Long: The ability to retain information and use it and apply it separates a lot of guys. I have a lot of bad habits, but I break one here every day. And that's why you keep coming back.

Is technique taught in the NFL?

Richburg: There isn't much teaching going on at all. It's kind of sink or swim. That's why I am here.

Warmack: What is good technique? Even if you have coaches who want to implement the techniques, it's not the right way. You do the same thing 1,000 times and it's wrong. Then you get in the game and they want me to block an All-Pro three-technique and you've been doing the same thing that's wrong since April. And it's October, and you get torn out the frame (on film). It's your fault. Not his fault. It's our fault.

Last edited by ludo21; 05-04-2016 at 02:12 PM..
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
ColoradoDarin
Busting off 2k

Since 1986

I enjoyed the article, but the "they never played the position" argument is fairly weak. They went off on that a bit much, but I guess it's from their experience of getting poor OL teaching. Shanahan never played in the NFL, but he's an offensive genius.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I enjoyed the article, but the "they never played the position" argument is fairly weak. They went off on that a bit much, but I guess it's from their experience of getting poor OL teaching. Shanahan never played in the NFL, but he's an offensive genius.
Agreed. What position at what level did Belichek play at or Parcells? Warmack needs an excuse for being a bust.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Agreed. What position at what level did Belichek play at or Parcells? Warmack needs an excuse for being a bust.
Mike Leach didn't play football, and he's one of the best offensive coaches in CFB. If you can't take instruction from someone because they didn't have the size and speed to play CFB or NFL, then thats a you problem.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

The difference between a d3 lb and a first round G has nothing to do with technique or knowledge. Everything to do with God given traits
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Scott Frost claims he learned more about coaching offense play defense under BB.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

You don't have to play the position to understand basic concepts and roles. That was some weak sauce excuse.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

This is why there are so many bad QBs in the league

Richburg: There isn't much teaching going on at all. It's kind of sink or swim. That's why I am here.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #9
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
This is why there are so many bad QBs in the league

That is why some teams are extremely good at developing players and having success while others are downtrodden.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

We don't draft Pro Bowlers we coach them to become pro-bowlers - John Elway
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
DENVERDUI55
Gambling is a SIN^^^^^^

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfan View Post
Mike Leach didn't play football, and he's one of the best offensive coaches in CFB. If you can't take instruction from someone because they didn't have the size and speed to play CFB or NFL, then thats a you problem.
Players have a hard time respecting and taking criticism from younger guys who didn't play football at a high level. That is why the queefs called Haley the golf coach.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
bronco militia
made a business decision"

kick ass article.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

"...we're making ways to win."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
E. Sanders

A lot of disgruntlement, but I understand their larger point and think they are correct. Coaching is deficient in the NLF. The collective bargaining agreement has reduced the amount and physicality of practices. Coaches are receiving less knowledgeable players and don't the time to coach them up properly.

The players let that become a b**** fest, but it was an interesting look into their mentality. Individualism is a prized quality in their minds, but they seem think that it's a forced position.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBladerunner View Post
A lot of disgruntlement, but I understand their larger point and think they are correct. Coaching is deficient in the NLF. The collective bargaining agreement has reduced the amount and physicality of practices. Coaches are receiving less knowledgeable players and don't the time to coach them up properly.
Most NFL coaches are ****, too, and a lot of them only have jobs because of who they know.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Players have a hard time respecting and taking criticism from younger guys who didn't play football at a high level. That is why the queefs called Haley the golf coach.
I know, and I understand it, I just think its their ego getting in their own way.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #16
jutang
Ring of Famer

Article had some really interesting tidbits and really reveals how much work some of these professional athletes do to get where they are in life. Some of their comments though throw their coaches and teammates under the bus and aren't going hold well in the locker room.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #17
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
Article had some really interesting tidbits and really reveals how much work some of these professional athletes do to get where they are in life. Some of their comments though throw their coaches and teammates under the bus and aren't going hold well in the locker room.

unless they are true
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #18
pricejj
jungle

Kubiak is the exact opposite of what these OL hate according to Tyler Polumbus.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote