The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #2026
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
What is a CD?
A certificate from a bank stating that the named party has a specified sum on deposit, usually for a given period of time at a fixed rate of interest.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #2027
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan
 
Dr. Broncenstein's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sterile Fields
Posts: 13,549

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
A certificate from a bank stating that the named party has a specified sum on deposit, usually for a given period of time at a fixed rate of interest.
Technology man.... what will they think of next? If only there was a way to share music on teh intergoogles....
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #2028
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,320

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Lately I've been listening to a little of the Reverend Al Green.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 AM   #2029
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

any one a fan of the pixies?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:14 AM   #2030
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
any one a fan of the pixies?
Ummmm...yeah.

The Pixies inspired me to write music, just as they did with about anyone in the modern avant garde rock world and anyone who's been in it for the past 15 years.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #2031
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Sheeeesh i just asked is all.... lol

I had "where is my mind" stuck in my head for like 4 days
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #2032
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
Sheeeesh i just asked is all.... lol
I had "where is my mind" stuck in my head for like 4 days
I could quote you nearly every Pixies lyric verbatim, and can still play nearly every one of their songs on three instruments.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #2033
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

I didn't know you played any instruments - or i should clarify - i don't remember you stating as much... lol
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #2034
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
I didn't know you played any instruments - or i should clarify - i don't remember you stating as much... lol
Oh yeah. I have played for a long time. I was a professional musician from age 17 to 20 when I realized that the industry is fraught with crooks. I still write music and would like to begin playing out again, but I havent found the right musicians to do so. I have a cache of new material that I would like to produce in the vein of radiohead-meets-weezer-meets-ricky skaggs-meets-NIN. Yep. It's odd.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #2035
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
Oh yeah. I have played for a long time. I was a professional musician from age 17 to 20 when I realized that the industry is fraught with crooks. I still write music and would like to begin playing out again, but I havent found the right musicians to do so. I have a cache of new material that I would like to produce in the vein of radiohead-meets-weezer-meets-ricky skaggs-meets-NIN. Yep. It's odd.
Yeah i just have "my" style too -
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #2036
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
Yeah i just have "my" style too -

Well, I could produce it streamlined into an elaborate power pop type of thing similar to Weezer, or I could add the instrumentation that I want and make it how I want it.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #2037
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
Well, I could produce it streamlined into an elaborate power pop type of thing similar to Weezer, or I could add the instrumentation that I want and make it how I want it.
Well - i bought a drum set and was put in a "band". So i never really learned any covers till recently. Even now when i play, i just play what i hear for the most part.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #2038
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
Well - i bought a drum set and was put in a "band". So i never really learned any covers till recently. Even now when i play, i just play what i hear for the most part.
That's a great place to start. Your next step is to rid yourself of the bad habits you've built up by taking some drum lessons. You can usually find a teacher that likes what you like who can show you some really cool stuff that you will actually use when you play. Lessons are great.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #2039
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
That's a great place to start. Your next step is to rid yourself of the bad habits you've built up by taking some drum lessons. You can usually find a teacher that likes what you like who can show you some really cool stuff that you will actually use when you play. Lessons are great.
Oh i've taken lessons here and there......

I had some try to "correct" my style, and not a bad habit though - so i just play how they want me to play - then do my own when i'm off on my own.

Really i just want to expand my toolkit so i can vary more stuff - but i can pretty much play any style of music - i do love playing punk music though....
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #2040
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
Oh i've taken lessons here and there......

I had some try to "correct" my style, and not a bad habit though - so i just play how they want me to play - then do my own when i'm off on my own.

Really i just want to expand my toolkit so i can vary more stuff - but i can pretty much play any style of music - i do love playing punk music though....
I had a studio in my last house and I could put on a CD, sit down on the kit, and learn the likcs of my favorite players.

I have always liked David Lovering, so I would put on Surfer Rosa, and rifle through the whole album. The song "Oh My Golly!" is a blast to play.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #2041
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Yeah i just don't get into playing other peoples stuff too much. At least note/note anyway.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #2042
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,610
Default

'Icky Thump' video from the White Stripes

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #2043
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
I had a studio in my last house and I could put on a CD, sit down on the kit, and learn the likcs of my favorite players.

I have always liked David Lovering, so I would put on Surfer Rosa, and rifle through the whole album. The song "Oh My Golly!" is a blast to play.
"Brick Is Red" & "The Holiday Song" (I know it's on Pilgrim but my CD is a twofer) are the ones I like to play the most when I'm just screwing around playing guitar to cd's and such....my fave of the entire catalog to mess around with like that though is "Letter To Memphis" from Trompe.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #2044
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
"Brick Is Red" & "The Holiday Song" (I know it's on Pilgrim but my CD is a twofer) are the ones I like to play the most when I'm just screwing around playing guitar to cd's and such....my fave of the entire catalog to mess around with like that though is "Letter To Memphis" from Trompe.

That's a good guitar riff song. Trompe is an underrated Pixies album. Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons, Planet of Sound, Letter to Memphis, and Motorway to Roswell are all great pieces.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:24 AM   #2045
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
That's a good guitar riff song. Trompe is an underrated Pixies album. Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons, Planet of Sound, Letter to Memphis, and Motorway to Roswell are all great pieces.
Oh yeah, I'd also throw the title track, U-Mass, Palace Of The Brine & the great Jesus & Mary Chain cover (Head on) in with your group of songs as well...

I'd rank Trompe behind Surfa Rosa (the twofer) only....and, on certain days, I'd even put it in front of it. It is a great album (I never saw the "it's really a Frank Black solo record" knock that it gets on occasion) and it's very very underrated IMHO.

Last edited by Hogan11; 05-26-2007 at 03:28 AM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #2046
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

If you guys like jesus & mary chain - do you guys like black rebel motorcycle club.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:51 AM   #2047
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Oh yeah, I'd also throw the title track, U-Mass, Palace Of The Brine & the great Jesus & Mary Chain cover (Head on) in with your group of songs as well...

I'd rank Trompe behind Surfa Rosa (the twofer) only....and, on certain days, I'd even put it in front of it. It is a great album (I never saw the "it's really a Frank Black solo record" knock that it gets on occasion) and it's very very underrated IMHO.
Trompe is an aggressive Pixies record with a different feel than Surfer or Even Doolittle. The themes are different, having a very much X-files type of feel. but Francis' lyrics and the music are of much more of a dreamy quality with a little bit of Bradbury tying it all together. Francis is definitely a thinking persons lyricist. I have always loved that about the Pixies.

Surfer and the earlier stuff found on Come On Pilgrim are very gutteral and aggressive, both lyrically and musically. Violent and tender. The stuff on Trompe is still violent and tender, but it is also more mature musically. The punk kids might not like it as much as they did Crackity Jones and the like, but it stands up just fine on its own merits, IMO.

All of the Pixies albums are so different from one another (except for the first two, which were really from the same pool of songs anyway) that its hard for me to choose a favorite. I like them all. From the sweet and honestly heart-felt "Havalina" to the tragic and haunting "Motorway to Roswell" to the avant garde masterpiece "I Bleed" to the beautiful "Velouria", the Pixies' cache is rich and each album presents a lush landscape for the fan of the odd.

I could go on and on...I'll shut up now.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:08 PM   #2048
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claviculasolomonis View Post
If you guys like jesus & mary chain - do you guys like black rebel motorcycle club.
Why wouldn't I? I loved the first two albums...then heard they got away from the feedback and went acoustic....I haven't heard that album yet and I have to admit that I wasn't really in a hurry to based upon that because...well, I do like my ear-wrecking, sloppy groove feedback ya know.

Thank God Dinosaur Jr. is back together and touring on a super strong new release....I wanna catch that show so bad, you just don't know.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:20 AM   #2049
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,209
Default

While I love the Pixies (Bossanova is my personal favorite), I think Frank Black's finest moment is his solo album Teenager of the Year. 22 tracks, and not a bad one in the bunch, including all time greats like "(I Want to Live on an) Abstract Plain", "Speedy Marie", "Headache", and "Superabound."
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #2050
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
While I love the Pixies (Bossanova is my personal favorite), I think Frank Black's finest moment is his solo album Teenager of the Year. 22 tracks, and not a bad one in the bunch, including all time greats like "(I Want to Live on an) Abstract Plain", "Speedy Marie", "Headache", and "Superabound."
I am a fan of the Frank stuff too. My favorite album of his is Cult of Ray, but I think that Teenager of the Year is probably his most creative and complete showing.

I love the job Lyle Workman does on that album. He's a very underrated player.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Denver Broncos