The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #1576
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default



Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:19 AM   #1577
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
Robin Trower - Dreaming the blues
+1!

I just bought Trower's new live concert DVD "Living out of Time."

It kills!

Robin is such a shamefully underrrated and underexposed player.

The tones he conjures from a Strat are just as mesmerizing as Hendrix, SRV, or David Gilmour, but he doesn't get anything close to the same acclaim.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:23 AM   #1578
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default



Jazz fans take note: This CD slams HARD!

Sort of a 1960s Wes Montgomery/Horace Silver/Jimmy Smith vibe happening here.

Grant produces some gorgeous tones with nothing but an ES-335 plugged straight into an amp, and his chops will make your jaw hit the floor.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #1579
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Dire Straights- Dire Straights
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #1580
mattleecrew
Let the games begin...
 
mattleecrew's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 194
Default

Abbey - demos
Eagles of Death Metal - death by sexy
mellowdrone - box
Yeah yeah yeahs - show your bones
Failure - Golden: Unreleased sounds and images
mattleecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #1581
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

is the yeah yeah yeah's new album better than their first?

(same question for eagles of death metal)
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #1582
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,260
Default

I didn't realize the Yeah Yeah Yeahs new one was already out. It received some pretty good early buzz a couple of months back.

Current listening:

The Kinks--Muswell Hillbillies
Artic Monkeys--Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Hefner--Dead Media
The Subways--Young For Eternity
The Fall--50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong: 39 Golden Greats
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #1583
Odysseus
Fan of the home team
 
Odysseus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 11,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN
+1!

I just bought Trower's new live concert DVD "Living out of Time."

It kills!

Robin is such a shamefully underrrated and underexposed player.

The tones he conjures from a Strat are just as mesmerizing as Hendrix, SRV, or David Gilmour, but he doesn't get anything close to the same acclaim.
Robin Trower is one of those hot and cold musicians that goes under the radar for years before anyone looks back and realizes what he really did. The more I learn about music the more I amazed at the number of quality musicians that get no recognition.

I picked up Los Lobotomys thinking I was going to get some new inspiration and was disappointed. I thought it would be fresh but it's just rehashed fusion from 30 years ago. It's probably new to the youngsters but I was raised on that stuff. I'll give it another chance. Maybe I missed something.

Right now...

Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Long walk to Freedom - African music (These were they buys that worked with Paul Simon. I like the relaxing full tones of their voices. It's good acappella like Take 6 with a different flavor.

Dave Matthews - Weekend on the Rocks
System of a down - Hypnotize
Linkin Park - Meteora
Nickelback - (?)
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM   #1584
mattleecrew
Let the games begin...
 
mattleecrew's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
is the yeah yeah yeah's new album better than their first?

(same question for eagles of death metal)

I like the new Yeah Yeah Yeah's alot but havent listened to it enough to say whether its better than the first. But its a quality album from the first to last song.
As for the Eagles of Death Metal, my friend just turned me onto them and this is the only album I have heard so far, dont have anything yet to compare it to.
mattleecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #1585
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB-Freak
Korn's cover of One wanted to make me stab my eyes out.
Jeez, makes me gag to even think about it .... was it as bad as Johnny Cash's cover of the other "One"?

Some things you just cannot re-make .... like Hitchcock's "Psycho."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #1586
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default Censorship .... Censorship!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff1
Some things you just cannot re-make .... like Hitchcork's "Psycho."
My friends .... I typed HitchcoCk .... the OrangeMane changed it to HitchcoRk
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:52 AM   #1587
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN
+1!

I just bought Trower's new live concert DVD "Living out of Time."

It kills!

Robin is such a shamefully underrrated and underexposed player.

The tones he conjures from a Strat are just as mesmerizing as Hendrix, SRV, or David Gilmour, but he doesn't get anything close to the same acclaim.
LABF .... is there anything we DON'T agree on?!?

I didn't know Trower had a new live album, (I GOTS to get me that!) ... but his first live record ("Robin Trower Live!", 1976) is imo one of the truly great guitar displays ever recorded ....

Too Rolling Stoned
Daydream
Alethea
Rock Me Baby

It's very different (better) than his more plodding studio efforts ... he exhibits an astonishing Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn-esque blues/metal power trio, although Trower is a much more efficient player than either of them ... (though had Jimi lived it might've been different.)

Drummer Bill Lordan has an incredible drum solo on Alethea, too ...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #1588
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

I just listened to Amazon samples of "Far Earth Below - Live"

I'm telling you - they're simply not the same as "Live!" - faint copies at best....

This is THE ONE:
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #1589
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
Robin Trower is one of those hot and cold musicians that goes under the radar for years before anyone looks back and realizes what he really did. The more I learn about music the more I amazed at the number of quality musicians that get no recognition.
True that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
I picked up Los Lobotomys thinking I was going to get some new inspiration and was disappointed. I thought it would be fresh but it's just rehashed fusion from 30 years ago. It's probably new to the youngsters but I was raised on that stuff. I'll give it another chance. Maybe I missed something.
Are you talking about the first Lobotomys record?

That is, this one?

It was recorded in the late 80s, so some of the instruments might sound dated to some people's ears, but the tunes and the level of musicianship are slammin,' IMO. My faves are "Big Bone," "Lobotomy Stew," "Smell Yourself" & and "All Blues."

At any rate, if the first Lobotomys disc doesn't appeal to you, then you might prefer the follow-up:



This disc rocks a lot harder and everyone stretches out a lot more during the improv sections.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:04 AM   #1590
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff1
LABF .... is there anything we DON'T agree on?!?

I didn't know Trower had a new live album, (I GOTS to get me that!) ... but his first live record ("Robin Trower Live!", 1976) is imo one of the truly great guitar displays ever recorded ....

Too Rolling Stoned
Daydream
Alethea
Rock Me Baby

It's very different (better) than his more plodding studio efforts ... he exhibits an astonishing Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn-esque blues/metal power trio, although Trower is a much more efficient player than either of them ... (though had Jimi lived it might've been different.)

Drummer Bill Lordan has an incredible drum solo on Alethea, too ...

Believe it or not, some of my favorite Trower records were the ones he recorded in the late 80s/early 90s with vocalist Davey Pattison (a guy who sounds like a cross between Paul Rogers and Lou Gramm.)

If you haven't heard them already, check out the discs "Passion," "Take What You Need," and "In the Line of Fire."
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:29 AM   #1591
Odysseus
Fan of the home team
 
Odysseus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 11,969

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN
True that is.



Are you talking about the first Lobotomys record?

That is, this one?

It was recorded in the late 80s, so some of the instruments might sound dated to some people's ears, but the tunes and the level of musicianship are slammin,' IMO. My faves are "Big Bone," "Lobotomy Stew," "Smell Yourself" & and "All Blues."

At any rate, if the first Lobotomys disc doesn't appeal to you, then you might prefer the follow-up:



This disc rocks a lot harder and everyone stretches out a lot more during the improv sections.

They are hella musicians but I fault a lot of modern musicians with being too structured. It's obvious stuff like let's take Mary had a little lamb drop it down a half, pick up the tempo, and then throw it in Lydian mode? Oh yeah. Let's add a cowbell. WTF? They can play don't get me wrong but they aren't like Yellow Jackets. Yellow Jackets is some of the most complicated and structured Jazz you will ever hear but they are not pretentious...most of the time. If ANYONE wants to learn about jazz at all START there and THEN go backwards. (Samari Samba, Blue Hats, & Yellow Jackets are accessible)

RANT: It's like Chris Botti has to have anyone whose ever had any star power on his stuff so that he can pimp himself as "plays better than Miles Davis" What exactly has Chris Botti invented musically? Pioneer? Pimp is more like it. I hear him play the National anthem and ran out to get his stuff. As I learned about the person the music started to fail for me. He's a cupcake comparing himself to an entire kitchen of flavors. Talent isn't everything. Janet Jackson has talent but she's not getting a dime of my money. Nice boobies.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #1592
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

I'm doing my part to fight Carlos Boozer.

Prince - 3121
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #1593
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
They are hella musicians but I fault a lot of modern musicians with being too structured. It's obvious stuff like let's take Mary had a little lamb drop it down a half, pick up the tempo, and then throw it in Lydian mode? Oh yeah. Let's add a cowbell. WTF? They can play don't get me wrong but they aren't like Yellow Jackets. Yellow Jackets is some of the most complicated and structured Jazz you will ever hear but they are not pretentious...most of the time. If ANYONE wants to learn about jazz at all START there and THEN go backwards. (Samari Samba, Blue Hats, & Yellow Jackets are accessible).
The musicians in Los Lobotomys are all A-list L.A. session players. The top of the food chain. Many of them have played with various members of the Yellowjackets at one time or another. Most jazz purist types and beboppers would probably argue that The Yellowjackets aren't really a jazz group - more like a pop jazz group (I'm not sure I would fully agree with this POV.) Anyway, Los Lobotomys is really just a fun band for session players looking to jam and blow off steam on the weekends. The tunes are intended to be vehicles to blow over - not necessarily complex compositions. However, if you're looking for complex compositions, these guys can definitely oblige. If you look at the credits and discographies of the individual musicians in Los Lobotomys, they read like a "who's who" of jazz and fusion.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #1594
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,755

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #1595
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Elvis Costello's 2 1/2 Years box set and The Pretty Things Get The Picture has dominated the player these past couple of weeks.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #1596
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

Eight Ball and MJG - Comin out hard.

Baaaaangiiiiiiiiiiiin

After recently having to pull some boxes out of storage, I found a treasure trove of old cd's I've been lookin for.

ALSO, my neighbor's boyfriend just burned me the new Jedi Mind Trick's new album, should get my first listen tonight!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:29 PM   #1597
barters
Leach = TD this season.
 
barters's Avatar
 
Gotta love 'The Helicopter'!

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bath, England
Posts: 87

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Leach
Default

At the moment:



Jose Gonzalez - Veneer



The Subways - Young For Enternity



Editors - The Back Room



Doves - Some Cities *Massively Reccomended*
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #1598
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Kick ass. I just found the old mix CDs I made a few years ago when Modern Drummer came out with their "Top 50 Drum Grooves Of All Time" and "Top 25 Most Influential Drum Solos of All Time". Jamming out to them right now.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #1599
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,018

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Kick ass. I just found the old mix CDs I made a few years ago when Modern Drummer came out with their "Top 50 Drum Grooves Of All Time" and "Top 25 Most Influential Drum Solos of All Time". Jamming out to them right now.
Is Bill Lordan's 200 mph machine-gun amazement on "Alethea" on "Robin Trower Live!" (1976) listed? If not, too bad .... do NOT miss it.

How about Ringo's solo on "Birthday"?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:28 PM   #1600
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff1
Is Bill Lordan's 200 mph machine-gun amazement on "Alethea" on "Robin Trower Live!" (1976) listed? If not, too bad .... do NOT miss it.
No, but good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff1
How about Ringo's solo on "Birthday"?
"The End" is on there. They defend it by saying it's "most influential", which does make it true. Love him or hate him, there are a lot of people playing drums because of Mr. Starr.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Denver Broncos