The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 PM   #1376
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default Just getting started in Blues...

Thanks for the heads up Hogan. Any playlist anybody puts down is all good.

I got Sonny Boy boxed set on my list of things to do. I'm just really scratching the surface of blues. I'm not familiar with all the names you mentioned. What surprises me is the depth and range of blues guys I've never heard of.

I like my blues so raw it's like right out of the hen house. I like blues old as I can find it.

I like Son House and Skip James but I don't think I've found everything that is out there. This can't be all of it. Guys like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, and Wilson Pickett start to make more sense the more I create the connections.

The more I listen. The more I hear. Go figure.

I circled a boxed set of Johnny Cash stuff in honor of Slap. WTH

I stumbled across Norah Jones. She's got that sweet baby girl blues. Really love her warm sexy tones. Billie Holiday would scare the crap out of her.

Etta James, Mavis Staples, and some of the other Blues divas are starting to come into focus. Don't have a clue whose out there but I'm looking.

Last edited by Odysseus; 01-27-2006 at 09:03 PM..
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #1377
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
Hound Dog Taylor : either Hound Dog Taylor And The Houserockers or Natural Boogie...the live Beware Of The Dog is great as well, but I'd start with the first two before getting to that...just in case.
JB Hutto And The Hawks: Hawk Squat
R.L. Burnside: Too Bad Jim
Junior Kimbrough: All Night Long
Sonny Boy Williamson II: His Best
To the aforementioned list of names I would add:

Freddy King
Albert King
Albert Collins
Johnny Copeland
Fenton Robinson
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #1378
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiettiger
I've tried to learn about Arabic music but Um...No.
About 15 years ago an Iranian woman I knew turned me on to this singer:

http://www.omkolthoum.com/

Very mesmerizing stuff.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin have mentioned her as an influence on some of their more exotic-sounding music.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:18 AM   #1379
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN

Freddy King
Albert King
Albert Collins
Johnny Copeland
Fenton Robinson

Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
I could never get into Albert King and I don't know why. Muddy Waters and Johnny Lee Hooker are awesome. I didn't realize how much music Muddy made until recently. I was trying to find a boxed set of B.B. King and I guess there is just too much stuff out there for it.

Thanks for the two new blues guys.

I am finding when I poke around in the Jazz realms there are some incredible guys who only made maybe two LP's. I didn't realize heroin wiped out so many good musicians. (Sonny Clark)

I did not realize how important Fletcher Henderson was.

Bud Powell, Johnny Griffen, Ben Webster and Art Tatum are guys I am just discovering. Art Tatum I found through Ray Charles. I thought I knew Ray Charles. I did'nt. Sonny Clark I found him while checking in Miles. I didn't realize how good Louie Armstrong was.

I have been a huge fan of Herbie Hancock but had no idea how many places he's been. He's like Santana always there somewhere.

I thought Wayne Shorter was good Sax player from Weather Report.

The irony is having been around a lot of their music, seeing them, and not knowing really how incredible they were. It's wierd to look back and realize how important one player really was. It's a strange as saying I hung out with Jesus. He had stinky feet and ate too many Jalapenos. Who knew?!

Last edited by Odysseus; 01-28-2006 at 04:05 AM..
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 AM   #1380
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
About 15 years ago an Iranian woman I knew turned me on to this singer:

http://www.omkolthoum.com/

Very mesmerizing stuff.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin have mentioned her as an influence on some of their more exotic-sounding music.
If you listened to Arabic music everyday it's more addictive than trance. You can just get lost in it if you wanted to. Arab people are like a living musical. It's wierd to see guys willing to dance at the drop of a hat. We are angry! Let us dance! We are happy! Let us dance! I love my goat! Let us dance!

Americans are like clods when it comes to dancing. Latins, Italians, Africans, Chinese, and even big clunky Germans can dance better than us as big fat ugly generality. I'd love to see some of the dances from the swing era come back into vogue just for grins.

FYI: Salsa dancing is great

Last edited by Odysseus; 01-28-2006 at 01:41 PM..
Old 01-28-2006, 03:51 AM   #1381
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:

I am finding when I poke around in the Jazz realms there are some incredible guys who only made maybe two LP's. I didn't realize heroin wiped out so many good musicians. (sonny Clark)I did not realize how important Fletcher Henderson was. Bud Powell, Johnny Griffen, Ben Websterand Art Tatum are guys I am just discovering. Art Tatum I found through Ray Charles who I thought I knew but didnt'. Sonny Clark I found him while checking in Miles. I didn't realize how good Louie Armstrong was.

The irony is having been around a lot of their music, seeing them, and not knowing really how incredible they were. It's wierd to look back and realize how important that guy really was. It's a strange as saying I hung out with Jesus. He had stinky feet and ate too many Jalapenos. Who knew?!

Speaking of jazz legends, I just watched one of my favorite DVDs last night:

"'Round Midnight" with Dexter Gordon (award-winning score by Herbie Hancock.)

If you like bebop, then this is an essential film, IMO.

It's about an American jazz sax player (played by Dexter Gordon) living in Paris. He's waging a battle with the bottle and with failing health, and then he meets a Parisian fan who inspires him to clean up his act and to make one last comeback.

Great story with a great vibe - I highly recommend it.

Quote:
If you listened to Arabic music everyday it's more addictive than trance. You can just get lost in it if you wanted to. Arab people are like a living musical. It's wierd to see guys willing to dance at the drop of a hat. We are angry! Let us dance! We are happy! Let us dance! I love my goat! Let us dance!

Americans are like clods when it comes to dancing. Latins, Italians, Africans, Chinese, and even big clunky Germans can dance better than us as big fat ugly generality. I'd love to see some of the dances from the swing era come back into vogue just for grins.
Ain't it the truth?

Great take!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #1382
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

I listened to Korn's Life is peachy today for grins. I liked Mr. Rogers, No place to hide and Ass Itch.

I liked Take a look in the mirror. Play me with NAS frigging rocks. I know. Nobody likes that cut.

Brian Welch found God? Good. Where is he. I'm right here in the holyland and I don't see him around here nowhere.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:40 AM   #1383
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADERPROOF
I brought it back and can't stop listening to it, Korn - Life is Peachy

Haven't listened to this CD in years, finally had "Kill you" stuck in my head so I busted it out of the CD collection and popped it in, then started listening to the entire CD and now it's just been in there for a week now.
This was the first Cd i ever heard from them years ago. Couldnt stop playing it either and then when i bought the debut i couldnt stop playing that one. Every once in a while i listen to them but you know me just so much music out there that im listening to a new band every week.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:43 AM   #1384
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:

Speaking of jazz legends, I just watched one of my favorite DVDs last night:

"'Round Midnight" with Dexter Gordon (award-winning score by Herbie Hancork.)

If you like bebop, then this is an essential film, IMO.

It's about an American jazz sax player (played by Dexter Gordon) living in Paris. He's waging a battle with the bottle and with failing health, and then he meets a Parisian fan who inspires him to clean up his act and to make one last comeback.

Great story with a great vibe - I highly recommend it.

Ain't it the truth?

Great take!
Dude! You have totally jacked up my schedule. I forgot about some of the live concerts that are on DVD for some of these guys. Monk's Straight up / No Chaser comes to mind. *Sigh* There goes my bad KungFu movie money.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #1385
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Anybody hip to Reggaton? A little salsa is good for your soul.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #1386
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:

Freddy King
Albert King
Albert Collins
Johnny Copeland
Fenton Robinson
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
While I absolutely have no problem with anyone of these guys at all...I was giving QT a list of what I felt was raw blues based upon Elmore James (kinda wild bottleneck playing, SBWII aside)....but you can't go wrong with any of these guys either. Magic Sam's West Side Soul I would include with LABF's list.

For jazz, have you checked out the Bill Evans Trio? Waltz For Debby is one of my faves of all time and it's great chill out music.....saved me from going over the edge in a traffic jam around DC a couple of years back.

I love Adderley as well.....you listed Something Else I believe.....a great release but you need to get the immortal Mercy, Mercy, Mercy perhaps my fave jazz CD of all time. Everyone's heard Ramsey Lewis's The "In" Crowd before...if you like that, then you'll love the album by the same name.

If you're interested in Fusion, LABF is your Man and no doubt he can take you much deeper in these areas....but the Mahvishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame & Birds Of Fire are great places to start to see if you're interested in such things......hearing John McLaughlin for the first time will make you forget about all other guitarists for a brief moment.

Last edited by Hogan11; 01-28-2006 at 08:41 AM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #1387
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
While I absolutely have no problem with anyone of these guys at all...I was giving QT a list of what I felt was raw blues based upon Elmore James (kinda wild bottleneck playing, SBWII aside)....but you can't go wrong with any of these guys either. Magic Sam's West Side Soul I would include with LABF's list.

For jazz, have you checked out the Bill Evans Trio? Waltz For Debby is one of my faves of all time and it's great chill out music.....saved me from going over the edge in a traffic jam around DC a couple of years back.

I love Adderley as well.....you listed Something Else I believe.....a great release but you need to get the immortal Mercy, Mercy, Mercy perhaps my fave jazz CD of all time. Everyone's heard Ramsey Lewis's The "In" Crowd before...if you like that, then you'll love the album by the same name.

If you're interested in Fusion, LABF is your Man and no doubt he can take you much deeper in these areas....but the Mahvishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame & Birds Of Fire are great places to start to see if you're interested in such things......hearing John McLaughlin for the first time will make you forget about all other guitarists for a brief moment.
Ramsey Lewis In Crowd was a great work. It still sounds fresh. I just got Mercy3. Bill Evans is a awesome. Magic Sam's Westside Soul. I keep trying to get that and something always happens....like magic. I'm not making that up! I look forward to hearing that.

I have (almost) everything John McLaughlin ever made including his work with Paco, Al Dimeola, Shaki, Electric and started chasing down works by some of the musicians who he's been in groups with. John McLaughlin's best work IMHO was Nothingness to Eternity the live CD. Wow!

I got deep into Joe Satriani. I have no idea what this post 80's hair band metal guitarist does right but his melodic screaming metal is some of the most beautiful stuff I've ever heard. I was absolutely lost in a song of his for two days ---- Flying in a blue dream.

This is about the fifth song of his that has had this absolute magnetic affect on me. I wanted to memorize everything about it. I have pretty much everything Joe ever made except the anthology works.

Joe isn't like John McLaughlin. If he went unplugged I cannot imagine him being exposed like that. He relies on the electric "alien" sound to make his music but dayum is he good. Since his music has no lyrics he basically is just hot wiring into your subconscious. He actually has some work where he sings but I like the instrumental stuff better. It's like when Stanley Clarke singing. It's not bad but o.k. now we've answered that question....

I'm a newbie in all of this as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Odysseus; 01-28-2006 at 09:27 AM..
Old 01-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #1388
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Quote:
Anybody hip to Reggaton? A little salsa is good for your soul.
Reggaeton isn't really salsa though. It's just rap with REALLY loud samba bass lines under it.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #1389
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Reggaeton isn't really salsa though. It's just rap with REALLY loud samba bass lines under it.
I love this music because it kind of defies everything but says some pretty interesting things...a very old message by the way

Summation: Oh yeah! Well I'm going to take your music, your rap beat, spice it up with whatever latin beat I feel like at the time (Salsa, Samba, Merenge, or even Bossa Nova) and I'm not gonna share it with you because you ain't from around here!

I'm hearing a lot more than I have before. It kind of goes back to the days of the Fainia All Stars heyday in the 70's or the whole Afro Cuban sound. You'll see stars from both sounds wandering into the others. I guess .50 made an appearance in some Reggaeton artists music.

http://www.musicofpuertorico.com/en/...all_stars.html
Prior to Delicate & Jumpy, the last "regular" Fania All Stars album on Fania for a couple of years was the solid Tribute To Tito Rodriguez, introducing Ruben Blades to the band. The Columbia series continued in lightweight vein with Rhythm Machine, again with the slimmed down Fania All Stars and keyboard player Bob James (executive producer) and guitarist Eric Gale guesting; and Spanish Fever (1978), with guests Maynard Ferguson, Hubert Laws, David Sanborn, Gale and others
Old 01-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #1390
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

It's been around for a LONG time. It's roots actually started in the Brazillian crime ring. Interesting history, but not my sort of thing, that's for sure.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #1391
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
It's been around for a LONG time. It's roots actually started in the Brazillian crime ring. Interesting history, but not my sort of thing, that's for sure.
Exactly.

Most of the Fania All Stars spent time in prison!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #1392
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I'm pretty impressed with the new My Morning Jacket CD. I thought their previous releases had fine moments, but were often a little too long winded and jammy. Jones really tightened up the song structure on this album. I think there were some lineup changes that may have factored in with this; changes for the better in my opinion.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #1393
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Question: Am I the only person in the world who thinks Joe Satriani rocks?

I got totally stoned on Joe Satriani - Flying in a blue dream.

Last edited by Odysseus; 01-28-2006 at 01:44 PM..
Old 01-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #1394
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Tiger, you said you like your Blues as raw as it comes. I can listen to Hound Dog Taylor or Jimmy Reed all day. Now, when you get into the Son House kind of stuff, you're talking about a couple steps up from field recordings. Great stuff.

The deeper I get into the Blues, the more my respect grows for Willie Dixon. He didn't break out as a big star as a performer, but his fingerprints are all over the Blues. He was a starmaker, who wrote and co-wrote dozens of enduring classics. Industry giants like Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters and many others owe a lot to him.

-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #1395
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
While I have nothing but the utmost respect for John McLaughlin as a musician, I'm not really into the fusion-oriented music of that era.

I'm into west coast fusion from the 80s to the present, i.e., Chick Corea Elektric Band, Tribal Tech, Los Lobotomys, Karizma, Frank Gambale, Mike Miller, Greg Mathieson, et al.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #1396
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson

Quote:
Los Lobotomys
I seriously just picked up this CD today and was going to post it in here with a comment like "I bet LABF will appreciate this."

"All Blues" is burning. VINNIE! And Jeff Porcaro! I'm in heaven.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #1397
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-

Beautiful.

I just got Testify by POD. Excellent

Right now -
- The Juliana Theory "Deadbeat Sweetheartbeat" (They're Steelers fans from Pittsburg, but they can ROCK!)
- Johnny Cash - "CASH" (This man was amazing)
- POD - "Testify" (Beautiful, very diverse music, talented musicans)
- Panic! At the Disco - "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" (Diverse, indie rock)
- Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin IV, aka ZOSO" (IMO the greatest rock album of all time, John Bonham is one of my hero's)
- Living Things "Ahead of the Lions" (Great garage rock and song writing, inteligent guys)
- Clear Static "Makeup Sex" (Decent music in the vain of The Cure and Depeche Mode)
That pretty much sums it up for me right now.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #1398
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
This was the first Cd i ever heard from them years ago. Couldnt stop playing it either and then when i bought the debut i couldnt stop playing that one. Every once in a while i listen to them but you know me just so much music out there that im listening to a new band every week.
Their first CD is still the best, but life is peachy is definetely second.
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #1399
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by FADERPROOF
Their first CD is still the best, but life is peachy is definetely second.

Of course, it has my theme song A.D.I.D.A.S.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #1400
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Korn is all about their sound.

When I heard the intro to life is peachy, I knew it was gonna be a pretty "evil" album.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote