The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2004, 08:32 AM   #76
BizzyBone7
*#27*

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Lambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc
Hey bone, is the Kanye West CD any good?
yes its very good. i was actually surprised how good it really is. its a classic IMO, he just does it way different than everyone else.

I never really have followed twista all that much but you have to respect his flow.
yea he is one of the fastest ever

Also, I was a huge Bone fan growing up... who wasn't? I actually got to work security for their concert last year in a town right by Springfield Missouri. There wasn't a ton of people as their name has cooled off a lot since 96'97, but it was still sweet. I got to be backstage security so I got to see Krazy, and most of the bone members but that one dip$hit member wasn't there... I want to say buzy bone or whatever. Anyways, I was jamming to thuggish ruggish bone and all the old classics. It took me through my teenage years for sure but then only seeing like 200 fans made me feel pretty bad that they had to slum it out in a concert like that. I think they have just about run their course in music as much as I hate to say it. They were all good guys as were most of the Mo Thugs family too. Just thought you might want to hear that story.
u worked security? i guess there wasnt much action cuz they have cooled off. they still got a good fan base just not as big as it was. i think there starting to get some back cuz they are off there old record label and shopping around for a big deal. Krayzie and Layzie are on a bunch of peoples albums, most notably Krayzie is on Lil Johns new album and Dead Prez's.
it prolly was bizzy who wasnt there, he has been in and out of the group since crossroads.
Mo Thugs have lost it too. they had a good crew at first then fell off alot. I hear they do put on a decent show tho.

How were they backstage?
BizzyBone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #77
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHogan
Yeah, Rollins is not to be missed. One of these days I'll catch the spoken word thing he does....ever seen one of them Popps?

I wanted to see Du when the Warehouse tour came around my area, but a wicked snowstorm kept me fromt he four hour drive. I should've braved it but thought I'd catch them next time. Huge mistake.....that was a terrible year IMO..Husker Du, Black Flag & Dead Kennedys all folding up the tent at roughly the same time...there were some long months there before The Pixies finally showed up.
That sucks... yea, I had a similar story with Black Flag. Always was a huge fan, and they came to St. Louis... I want to say it was like 86, on the Loose Nut tour. (Which is another album that I love, but most Flag fans don't)
I had a gig with my own band that night, and blew off the Flag show.. just assuming that I'd get another chance to see them. They never came back.

Never saw the DKs. They didn't come through STL much. I did go bowling with Jello in San Francisco, though. lol! (A record label my band was on bowled against Alternative Tentacles)
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:12 PM   #78
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps
That sucks... yea, I had a similar story with Black Flag. Always was a huge fan, and they came to St. Louis... I want to say it was like 86, on the Loose Nut tour. (Which is another album that I love, but most Flag fans don't)
I had a gig with my own band that night, and blew off the Flag show.. just assuming that I'd get another chance to see them. They never came back.

Never saw the DKs. They didn't come through STL much. I did go bowling with Jello in San Francisco, though. lol! (A record label my band was on bowled against Alternative Tentacles)
Yeah, I wasn't that big on "Loose Nut" myself...seemed that the live versions of that stuff on "Who's Got The 10 1/2?" had a bit more life to them. (just my opinion though, no big thing).

You bowled with Jello?? I bet that was something else...remember when he was running for the Green Party nomination in 2000? Imagine that guy in a debate
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:17 PM   #79
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Son Seals - Midnight Son

Freddie King - Burglar

Willie Dixon - Hidden Charms

Lonnie Mack - Live! Attack of the Killer V

Louis Jordan - The Best of Louis Jordan

Coco Montoya - Can't Look Back

Shemekia Copeland - Wicked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg al4703.jpg (16.1 KB, 124 views)
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #80
Popps
It's so easy

Hogan,

Yea... Loose Nut is very dreary/droney/studio sounding. I can see why a lot of Flag fans didn't dig it. It was a different direction. Just something about the chance they took with it that I liked. Almost had a metal edge to it... but kind of a druggy, grey feeling as well.

lol! Yea, I remember when Jello ran for the Green Party. He actually ran for mayor of San Francisco back in the day, too. (before I lived there, though) I'm surprised the kooks up there didn't elect him. Of course, he couldn't have done much worse than what we had up there.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:56 PM   #81
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps
Hogan,

Yea... Loose Nut is very dreary/droney/studio sounding. I can see why a lot of Flag fans didn't dig it. It was a different direction. Just something about the chance they took with it that I liked. Almost had a metal edge to it... but kind of a druggy, grey feeling as well.
I'm not so sure it had to do with production....the only reason I say that is because In My Head had the same type of sound but the material seemed to be much more animated with that one....not as draggy. I'm not saying I didn't dig Nut at all, it's just my least fave recording of theirs (save for maybe Live '84 or The Process Of Weeding Out EP...but it's a tough call IMO). I'll never forget the looks a few of those tracks got when played for those unaware of the Flag
I had a friend who did a radio show at the college I went to and he used to play the opening part of Madonna's extended mix of "Dress You Up In My Love" and while it was going, read Hank's "Madonna" poem over it in a totally deadpan voice...when he ws finished reading it, he'd cut to the Flag's "Crazy Girl" immediately.... It was pretty cool IMO and always generated a few calls to the station.

Quote:
lol! Yea, I remember when Jello ran for the Green Party. He actually ran for mayor of San Francisco back in the day, too. (before I lived there, though) I'm surprised the kooks up there didn't elect him. Of course, he couldn't have done much worse than what we had up there.
Yeah, I read about his Mayoral run...he promised to make all the businessmen wear clown suits or something like that...he actually came in 4th or 3rd I think...not sure of that though, since it was a long time ago that I read that.

I wonder if Maximum Rock- N - Roll still does a radio show...I seen that fanzine the other day and almost picked it up...I have a ton of those things laying around dating back to the early '80's but haven't bought one in years...I wonder what it's like now....did you ever check that out?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:20 PM   #82
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

4/2/04

BLACK FLAG - Loose Nut (thanks Popps!)
BLACK FLAG - In My Head (Thanks again Popps!)
HUSKER DU - Flip Your Wig (Due to Popps again!)
OPERATION IVY - Operation Ivy
CHEAP TRICK - Disc 1 of the Sex, America, Cheap Trick box set

Pseudo-retro week I guess
Old 04-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #83
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer

Op Ivy...GREAT ALBUM...although all songs are great, my favorite song is number...12 Bad Town
TheManeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:17 PM   #84
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-Champ24
Op Ivy...GREAT ALBUM...although all songs are great, my favorite song is number...12 Bad Town
Must be the bouncy sax in it eh?

The disc has become legendary over the years....."Sound System" is my personal anthem and fave from it. "Unity" especially is absolutely breathtaking in it's power...the whole thing is an early touchstone for the ska-punk movement and is essential to any modern music collection IMO.

I wish they were still around but that's life....I can settle for Rancid with no problem at all.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:06 PM   #85
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer

Yeah...I liked Tim Armstrong more with Op Ivy rather than Rancid....Atleast beyond their 1st 2-3 albums
Old 04-03-2004, 07:08 PM   #86
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Yeah...I liked Tim Armstrong more with Op Ivy rather than Rancid....Atleast beyond their 1st 2-3 albums
Rancid has never matched Ivy material wise....still Rancid is great stuff and is perferrable to say Less Than Jake (Pezcore being the lone exception there IMO.)

Have you ever checked out The Pietasters Champ? They're more ska than punk but remain one of my fave acts of all time and the ultimate party/drinking band....I'd recommend any of their releases.

Last edited by RHogan; 04-03-2004 at 11:55 PM..
Old 04-03-2004, 08:04 PM   #87
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Well, it finally happened......someone totally stumped me....I never heard of any of these....looks like I've got a little checking out to do.

Ever heard of blindside?

Doubt it, they're from Sweden. A great hardcore band. Actually since signing with electrica, they have been more "mainstream" hardcore... they aint no puss Linkin Park or Trapt though. Friend of mine compaired them to the Deftones, but I dont know...

http://www.blindside-silence.com/

I dont know if you dig hardcore, but I LOVE Blindside.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:10 AM   #88
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Rancid has never matched Ivy material wise....still Rancid is great stuff and is perferrable to say Less Than Jake (Pezcore being the lone exception there IMO.)

Have you ever checked out The Pietasters Champ? They're more ska than punk but remain one of my fave acts of all time and the ultimate party/drinking band....I'd recommend any of their releases.

No I havent heard of them...well i've heard of them but, havent heard their stuff...I havent listened to too much ska besides guys like the Specials, the Toasters, Metaskaphales, MU330, Mustard Plug, Madness...ill definitely go check the pietasters out...
Old 04-04-2004, 01:17 AM   #89
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer

These Blindside guys arent that bad, I liked Pitiful
Old 04-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #90
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Pietasters rock.

My favorite ska band will alway be Five Iron Frenzy though, just because they are from Denver and they have some real lyrics, as in really though provoking.

http://www.fiveironfrenzy.com/
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:07 PM   #91
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
No I havent heard of them...well i've heard of them but, havent heard their stuff...I havent listened to too much ska besides guys like the Specials, the Toasters, Metaskaphales, MU330, Mustard Plug, Madness...ill definitely go check the pietasters out...

Here's a link to the official Pietasters home page, they have a sounds section there where you can check them out...plus lots of great photos throughout the years. They are great guys as well...very generous.

http://www.stevelaplaca.com/pie/piehome.html

Good bands all that you mentioned...I had the chance to go check out Mustard Plug last year and didn't go....I regret it, I really like them as well. Check out the Voodoo Glow Skulls if you're interested in hardcore skapunk at all..they're cool as well but are much better in concert than they are on CD for some odd reason IMO.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:12 PM   #92
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf
Pietasters rock.

My favorite ska band will alway be Five Iron Frenzy though, just because they are from Denver and they have some real lyrics, as in really though provoking.

http://www.fiveironfrenzy.com/
I like Five Iron well enough...to be honest, I haven't heard much Ska or skapunk that I didn't like...other than the ever bland and boring Catch 22, I'm at a bit of a loss to come up with another ska/skapunk band I dislike.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:34 AM   #93
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer

OH yeah i forgot to mention the VooDoo, I saw them in concert like 5 years back with Lagwagon and Ten Foot Pole...GREAT SHOW man...thanks for the pietasters link....they are pretty good
Old 04-05-2004, 03:12 AM   #94
dustybottoms
wealthy spanish landowner

do you have anything besides mexican food?

some great local denver punk hailing from Golden

www.belfastcarbomb.com
dustybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #95
nooner
Solid Starter

Ryan Adams-Rock n Roll
Cheap Trick-homemade best of
Bowling For Soup-homemade best of
Faith No More-The Real Thing
Sugar-Copper Blue
The Replacement-homemade best of
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #96
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooner
Cheap Trick-homemade best of
You had to have put He's A Whore on that...didn't cha?

I used to love playing that song.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #97
nooner
Solid Starter

of course, that song kicks ass
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:40 PM   #98
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

On heavy rotation in the car, house, bathroom, etc., this week:

Slammin'!

http://audiophileimports.com/cgi-bin...chael%20landau
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 PM   #99
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

BTW, if anyone is planning to be in Tokyo between 4/21 and 4/24, Landau is playing at the Blue Note w/ Robben Ford, Jimmy Haslip, and Vinnie Colaiuta.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #100
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

I'm playing this 45 on my turntable now.

I've got pacman fever, pacman fever
Driving me crazy, driving me crazy
I've got pacman fever, pacman fever
Going out of my mind, going out of my mind
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote