The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 06:03 PM   #901
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,261

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

The Arcade Fire- Funeral
A great album. And they're from Canada, no less.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #902
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

New Nile comes out tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #903
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Dick Dale - King Of The Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale and The Del-Tones
Dick Dale - Tribal Thunder

NOTE - As I said in another thread, I saw this guy in Cleveland last Friday night for the very first time. He ripped the place up....easily one of (if not the) greatest guitar players I've ever had the privelege to witness live.....the volume and fury of his performance was as awe inspiring as it was ear ringing.
He was also very personable, staying till the last person's CD/shirt/pic's etc. were signed, pic's taken & questions answered. I travelled four hours to see him one way....and it was more than worth it. I'll travel up to eight next time, he was that good. If he's in your area, see him...you will not be sorry.

Link Wray - Shadowman The old great's 1997 release....sloppy, feedback drenched rockabilly material and covers of old stuff done in similar fashion.....you cannot go wrong.

Love - Forever Changes One of my all time favorites...a work greater than The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's and widely considered to be one of the top 10 greatest records to ever emerge out of the 60's......it's still criminally ignored by classic rock radio types, but they were never the swiftest of people anyways, so there ya go.

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Dim The Lights, Chill The Ham Great surf style instrumental music from Toronto....yes Toronto. If you ever heard the background music on The Kids In The Hall then you've heard these guys.....well worth seeking out if you ever gave that kind of thing a chance.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #904
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer
 
TheManeMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 5,184
Default

Lagwagon - Live in a Dive

TheManeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:32 PM   #905
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,209
Default

The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Tepid Peppermint Wonderland: A Retrospective

WOW. Unbelievable stuff. Got interested in them after viewing Dig!, a very good rock-documentary about the very different paths taken by BJM and their friends/rivals The Dandy Warhols. I already knew about The Dandys. Solid band, though not a favorite of mine. The Dandys have been very successful, particularly in Europe, while BJM remains laregly unknown anywhere. This is primarily because their leader, Anton Newcombe, is an ego-maniacal prick. He started a fist fight with his own bandmates during an industry showcase at The Viper Room (the scene is captured in Dig!). He sounds cool and levelheaded in interviews, so it may be a case of too much smack. It's a shame, because the music is as good as anything that's come out in the last 20 years. They pretty much spear-headed the whole 60s-revivalist movement. Do yourself a favor and pick this up, then move on to Dig!.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #906
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno
This is primarily because their leader, Anton Newcombe, is an ego-maniacal prick. He started a fist fight with his own bandmates during an industry showcase at The Viper Room (the scene is captured in Dig!).
It's also in the video for "Going To Hell" from Strung Out In Heaven if I remember right.

Maybe the Retrospect is the way to go with the Massacre because that's the only release I was exposed to and other than that standout (an admittingly great song) I didn't find anything more memorable on it...was it a lesser release from them in your opinion?
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #907
JPEZ
Samantha
 
JPEZ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DownTownDenver
Posts: 530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Melvin Bratton
Default

TOBY KEITH!!
Honkytonk University!!
"I'm a red, white and blue blood graduate of honkytonk U!!"
JPEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #908
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
It's also in the video for "Going To Hell" from Strung Out In Heaven if I remember right.

Maybe the Retrospect is the way to go with the Massacre because that's the only release I was exposed to and other than that standout (an admittingly great song) I didn't find anything more memorable on it...was it a lesser release from them in your opinion?
Yeah, most of their albumns are uneven (much like Guided By Voices) in part because Newcombe writes songs at such a fast rate and doesn't bother to edit out the bad ideas. Taken as a whole, however, the work is remarkable. The retrospective probably is the best way to go for a beginner, but the three albumns they put out in '96 (Their Satanic Majesties Second Request, Take It From The Man!, and Thank God For Mental Illness) are all excellent releases, IMHO. Strung Out From Heaven definately wasn't a good place to start. Go with the retrospect to start, and if you're impressed enough (I can't imagine you wouldn't be) go with Take It From The Man!.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 05-24-2005 at 03:06 PM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #909
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

"Demon Days" - Teh Gorillaz

Not digging it as much as the first one. The first one had an element of garage rock to it. This one doesn't. Still good, but more of 3 to 3.5 stars (out of 5) than the 4.5 that the first one was. "Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head" with Dennis Hopper having a spoken word role is pretty badass though.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #910
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno
Yeah, most of their albumns are uneven (much like Guided By Voices) in part because Newcombe writes songs at such a fast rate and doesn't bother to edit out the bad ideas. Taken as a whole, however, the work is remarkable. The retrospective probably is the best way to go for a beginner, but the three albumns they put out in '96 (Their Satanic Majesties Second Request, Take It From The Man!, and Thank God For Mental Illness) are all excellent releases, IMHO. Strung Out From Heaven definately wasn't a good place to start. Go with the retrospect to start, and if you're impressed enough (I can't imagine you wouldn't be) go with Take It From The Man!.
Ok, I'll take you up on this...I'll get it along with the new Teenage Fanclub CD coming out next month and get back to you afterwards.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:36 AM   #911
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,465

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEZ
TOBY KEITH!!
Honkytonk University!!
"I'm a red, white and blue blood graduate of honkytonk U!!"

I have a general rule where I stay away from anything and everything that involves the words "honky" and "tonk."
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:31 AM   #912
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,016
Default

Tegan and Sara - So Jealous
Oasis - (Whats The Story) Morning Glory?
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:42 AM   #913
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,615
Default


L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #914
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Nile- Annihilation of the Wicked
Extol- Burial
Gary Numan- Pure
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #915
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

The Police - "Message In A Box"
Led Zeppelin - "I", "II" and "IV"
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #916
BRONCCRUSHFAN
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
Adopt-a-Bronco: Ben Hamilton

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Football Town U.S.A. The Mile High City, where God created beauty right outside the front door.
Posts: 758
Default

Usher- Confessions
Alan Jackson- Greatest Hits Vol 2
Linkin Park- Meteora
The Beatles- Sgt. Peppers
ZZ Top- Greatest Hits
Van Halen- The Best of Both Worlds
The Notorious BIG- Life after Death
BRONCCRUSHFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:21 PM   #917
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,465

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Ok, I'm definitely going to get laughed at... But this song by this girl named "Natalie" came up in my Yahoo Launch Cast, and damned if I wasn't digging on it... I'd definitely get sick of it after awhile, but I kind of dig the rap thing she's got going mixed with pop... It definitely takes some talent to do what she does...

Plus she's hot... Check out the video...

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-16201308----Natalie
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #918
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John
Ok, I'm definitely going to get laughed at... But this song by this girl named "Natalie" came up in my Yahoo Launch Cast, and damned if I wasn't digging on it... I'd definitely get sick of it after awhile, but I kind of dig the rap thing she's got going mixed with pop... It definitely takes some talent to do what she does...

Plus she's hot... Check out the video...

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-16201308----Natalie

That's what's called a "guilty pleasure" Taco...no one should laugh because everyone has those.......everyone.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #919
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
That's what's called a "guilty pleasure" Taco...no one should laugh because everyone has those.......everyone.
Quoted for truth.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #920
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp
 
scorpio's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
Dick Dale - King Of The Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale and The Del-Tones
Dick Dale - Tribal Thunder

Right on, Dick Dale comes through Fort Collins and plays the Aggie 2 or 3 times a year. That guy definitely rocks. He did most of the surfer music for Pulp Fiction, if I'm not mistaken.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:04 AM   #921
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiosnow
Right on, Dick Dale comes through Fort Collins and plays the Aggie 2 or 3 times a year. That guy definitely rocks. He did most of the surfer music for Pulp Fiction, if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, he did a lot of that....there's a lot of Link Wray in that movie as well. You're lucky he comes through your area so often, I had to drive 4 hours one way to be in the presence of the Master.......and I don't regret it at all.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:51 AM   #922
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 53,615
Default

This girl sings so good it's scary.

Gives me goose bumps everytime.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:37 AM   #923
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Cat Stevens Majikat,earth tour...........
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:56 PM   #924
Sodak
Clueless...
 
Sodak's Avatar
 
Who stole my avatar?

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Black Hills of Dakota
Posts: 3,053
Default

Jawbreaker - Bivouac
Snapcase
Down By Law
Dissent
Naked Raygun - Throb Throb
Rise Against
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #925
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer
 
TheManeMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 5,184
Default

Which Down By Law album Sodak?
TheManeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Denver Broncos