The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #851
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer
 
Mile High Shack's Avatar
 
Cock-a-doodle-do

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 16,938
Default

I guess I'm an idiot

but what is "emo"?
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #852
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

http://altmusic.about.com/library/weekly/aabyb_emo.htm

Last edited by alkemical; 04-11-2005 at 10:30 AM..
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #853
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer
 
Mile High Shack's Avatar
 
Cock-a-doodle-do

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 16,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
Hmm…interesting

I guess I don’t like many emo bands either than

I don’t mind Jimmy Eat World if I’m in the mood for some sugary snacks.

There is this band I like called For Squirrels who died out after one album, I bet they might be emo.

Last edited by Mile High Shack; 04-11-2005 at 10:37 AM..
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #854
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Shack
Hmm…interesting

I guess I don’t like many emo bands either than

I don’t mind Jimmy Eat World if I’m in the mood for some sugary snacks.

There is this band I like called For Squirrels who died out after one album, I bet they might be emo.
If nirvana left us one unsavory thing, it was the emo explosion.

I'll say it, if it's good it will stand and i will vouch that it's good. Even in genre's i don't particularly like (i'll use rap) i can say i love a tribe called quest, the roots, jazzamataz (guru did that album) - i can ssay they are good - but then you have that whole crap g unit thing where it's so bad. Even the samples are bad....
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #855
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,752
Default


L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:45 AM   #856
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,752
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:47 AM   #857
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,752
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #858
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

I went out to nin.com and checked out the video for the new song...

i have my critisms of it, but i like the direction that the band/trent shows.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #859
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default Do yourself a favor and get this....

YO LA TENGO

Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003

Review by Mark Deming
I was a bit startled when I read the title of this compilation and it struck me that Yo La Tengo have been making records for almost twenty years now. As a band who have always followed their own path, Yo La Tengo have been making timeless music ever since they first started out, and if that description sounds a bit grand, little of the stuff on this set suggests the moment in rock history in which it was recorded ("Little Eyes” from 2003’s Summer Sun sits comfortably beside "Lewis” from 1987’s New Wave Hot Dogs, and you can’t say that about the work of many other bands who were considered hip in either year), so until the band (and Matador Records) chose to point it out to me, I never gave much thought to how long they’d doing this stuff. Still mixing up folk, noise, pop and indie rock after all this time, and still doing it with melodic intelligence and joy, Yo La Tengo don’t seem like likely candidates for a career retrospective — this is a band whose average fan owns all of their albums, and with nearly all of their material in print, it’s not as if curious newbies have limited options for checking out their music. But if you’ve ever dreamed of a "Yo La Tengo Greatest Hits” album, Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003 is that notion made into a fine reality. Featuring material from all of their albums (except for their debut, 1986’s Ride The Tiger), this two-disc set is an embarrassment of riches, offering one great song after another over the space of twenty-three tracks and 110 minutes. From the noise-shot jangle rock of "Sugarcube” and the po-mo folk of "Autumn Sweater” to the witty skronk-fest of "The Story of Jazz” and the near-perfect pop single "Tom Courtenay”, what’s most remarkable about this album is everything bears Yo La Tengo’s clear musical personality and emotional warmth no matter what style they choose to follow, and it’s all wonderful, engaging and compelling stuff. If you’ve somehow managed to ignore Yo La Tengo in the first two decades of their existence, Prisoners of Love is the ideal way to get up to speed and acquaint yourself with the catalog; longtime fans won’t be surprised, but they will get a potent reminder of what this group does so well. Early pressings of Prisoners of Love are available with a bonus third disc, "A Smattering of Outtakes and Rarities,” which does indeed offer manna from heaven for hardcore YLT-heads, including unreleased tracks, rare single sides, demos and remixes. Serious fans will certainly want it, and since they’re likely to have all the material on Prisoners of Love, it a shame they can’t buy it separately ... maybe they could just give the other two discs to benightened friends?

Tracks
1 Shaker
2 Sugarcube
3 Barnaby, Hardly Working
4 Little Eyes
5 Stockholm Syndrome
6 Our Way to Fall
7 From a Motel 6
8 Swing for Life
9 Tom Courtenay
10 Lewis
11 I Heard You Looking
12 You Can Have It All
13 Did I Tell You
14 The River of Water
15 Autumn Sweater
16 Big Day Coming Yo La Tengo
17 Pablo and Andrea
18 Drug Test
19 Season of the Shark
20 Upside-Down
21 The Summer
22 Tears Are in Your Eyes
23 Blue Line Swinger
24 The Story of Jazz
25 Nuclear War (Version 1)
26 By the Time It Gets Dark
27 Stay Away from Heaven
28 Pencil Test
29 Almost True
30 Tom Courtenay
31 Big Day Coming
32 Dreaming
33 Bad Politics
34 Blue-Green Arrow
35 Decora
36 Out the Window
37 Weather Shy
38 Dreams
39 Autumn Sweater
40 Ashes on the Ground
41 Mr. Ameche Plays the Stranger
42 Magnet
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:55 PM   #860
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
YO LA TENGO

Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003

Review by Mark Deming
I was a bit startled when I read the title of this compilation and it struck me that Yo La Tengo have been making records for almost twenty years now. As a band who have always followed their own path, Yo La Tengo have been making timeless music ever since they first started out, and if that description sounds a bit grand, little of the stuff on this set suggests the moment in rock history in which it was recorded ("Little Eyes” from 2003’s Summer Sun sits comfortably beside "Lewis” from 1987’s New Wave Hot Dogs, and you can’t say that about the work of many other bands who were considered hip in either year), so until the band (and Matador Records) chose to point it out to me, I never gave much thought to how long they’d doing this stuff. Still mixing up folk, noise, pop and indie rock after all this time, and still doing it with melodic intelligence and joy, Yo La Tengo don’t seem like likely candidates for a career retrospective — this is a band whose average fan owns all of their albums, and with nearly all of their material in print, it’s not as if curious newbies have limited options for checking out their music. But if you’ve ever dreamed of a "Yo La Tengo Greatest Hits” album, Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003 is that notion made into a fine reality. Featuring material from all of their albums (except for their debut, 1986’s Ride The Tiger), this two-disc set is an embarrassment of riches, offering one great song after another over the space of twenty-three tracks and 110 minutes. From the noise-shot jangle rock of "Sugarcube” and the po-mo folk of "Autumn Sweater” to the witty skronk-fest of "The Story of Jazz” and the near-perfect pop single "Tom Courtenay”, what’s most remarkable about this album is everything bears Yo La Tengo’s clear musical personality and emotional warmth no matter what style they choose to follow, and it’s all wonderful, engaging and compelling stuff. If you’ve somehow managed to ignore Yo La Tengo in the first two decades of their existence, Prisoners of Love is the ideal way to get up to speed and acquaint yourself with the catalog; longtime fans won’t be surprised, but they will get a potent reminder of what this group does so well. Early pressings of Prisoners of Love are available with a bonus third disc, "A Smattering of Outtakes and Rarities,” which does indeed offer manna from heaven for hardcore YLT-heads, including unreleased tracks, rare single sides, demos and remixes. Serious fans will certainly want it, and since they’re likely to have all the material on Prisoners of Love, it a shame they can’t buy it separately ... maybe they could just give the other two discs to benightened friends?

Tracks
1 Shaker
2 Sugarcube
3 Barnaby, Hardly Working
4 Little Eyes
5 Stockholm Syndrome
6 Our Way to Fall
7 From a Motel 6
8 Swing for Life
9 Tom Courtenay
10 Lewis
11 I Heard You Looking
12 You Can Have It All
13 Did I Tell You
14 The River of Water
15 Autumn Sweater
16 Big Day Coming Yo La Tengo
17 Pablo and Andrea
18 Drug Test
19 Season of the Shark
20 Upside-Down
21 The Summer
22 Tears Are in Your Eyes
23 Blue Line Swinger
24 The Story of Jazz
25 Nuclear War (Version 1)
26 By the Time It Gets Dark
27 Stay Away from Heaven
28 Pencil Test
29 Almost True
30 Tom Courtenay
31 Big Day Coming
32 Dreaming
33 Bad Politics
34 Blue-Green Arrow
35 Decora
36 Out the Window
37 Weather Shy
38 Dreams
39 Autumn Sweater
40 Ashes on the Ground
41 Mr. Ameche Plays the Stranger
42 Magnet
Anything on there worth making the purchase for someone who already has several albumns?

I picked up Painful on your recommendation and loved it, though I think I slightly prefer Electro-Purra. You can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 04-14-2005 at 03:57 PM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #861
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno
Anything on there worth making the purchase for someone who already has several albumns?

I picked up Painful on your recommendation and loved it, though I think I slightly prefer Electro-Purra. You can't go wrong either way.
Depends upon what you already have....whatcha got?

The package is great for the newbie....but since I have all of the individual releases, I can skip it.... it looks just like my mix tape of Tengo for my car really....they did a nice job on this one.....I love The Beatles Second Album cover spoof as well.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:18 PM   #862
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

FYI i have located a couple programs that allow media player users to bring up quicktime and real player application without DL both of them its kinda slick.

www.free-codecs.com

Quicktime alternative and Real alternative
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #863
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Brian Setzer Orchestra - Dirty Boggie
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #864
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/system_o...l?_lpvid=43733

System of a Down's new single.

As for what's in my playlist, I'm listening to a lot of afro-pop right now (King Sunny Ade, Soukous Stars, Kojo Antwi, George Darko, etc.) as well as some latin stuff. Pancho Sanchez is getting some play and I just recently discovered Ozomatli.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #865
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

The Specials
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #866
Sean
Won't worry my life away
 
Sean's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 533
Default

Friend of mine just made a CD for me ... Gavin Degraw.

Last new musician I REALLY liked was Jason Mraz. This guy Gavin has a great voice and the songs are strong. Check it out.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:38 PM   #867
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Really, I've been listening to a lot of Link Wray and Dick Dale as of late

If you don't know who they are.........do yourself a favor and check them out.....these guys are in their late to mid 70's and play with more energy and ferociousness than guys 1/4 of their age.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:02 PM   #868
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Mother's Milk"
System of a Down - "System of a Down"
Ben Folds - "Songs For Silverman"
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #869
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Elis- Dark Clouds in a Perfect Sky
Alghazanth- Typhon Unmasked
Midnattsol- Where Twilight Dwells
As Dusk Unfolds- A Twilight to Remember ( local Band )
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 AM   #870
BizzyBone7
*#27*
 
BizzyBone7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,043

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Lambert
Default

i got bone thugs n harmonys greatest hits in there right now, i got beanie sigels new one too. both very good.
BizzyBone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #871
BizzyBone7
*#27*
 
BizzyBone7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,043

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Lambert
Default

Also, i got Pastor Troys new CD. hes the one who gave Portis that belt. that cd has an interview with portis. it just says that nothin changed just the amount of zeroes in his account. pretty stupid. but that cd also has a Kurt Cobain tribute song, pretty good.
BizzyBone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #872
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer
 
TheManeMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 5,184
Default

Hey Nugs4...just wanted to tell you that the System show I went to last Sunday F'N rocked!!! They played quite a few songs off their new album, atleast I think it is...it was called "Holy Mountain" a dope song...Serj puts on a hell of a show man...I think they played Innervision the best out of them all but, the whole show was sick...

Last edited by CB-Champ24; 04-27-2005 at 05:24 PM..
TheManeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #873
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

That album and the Gorillaz new one are the two that I'm looking forward to the most in the next month.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #874
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,795

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Overkill- RelixIV
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:20 PM   #875
No1BroncoFan
Old School
 
No1BroncoFan's Avatar
 
If you have to ask, you don't know

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,713
Default

Just lately... John Denver, "Rocky Mountain High."

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Denver Broncos