The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #776
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Damn. Just saw a commercial that the new System of a Down CD will not be out until May 17th. It was supposed to be out in February. Then late-April. Now mid-May. This is getting annoying.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #777
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

WE CAN'T LET THIS DIE!

Just put a few CD's in serious rotation for my Costa Rica trip.

Sting - "Soul Cages"
Social Distortion - "Social Distortion"
Social Distortion - "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell"
LL Cool J - "All World"
Ben Folds Five - "Naked Baby Photos"
Everclear - "So Much For The Afterglow"
Jason Mraz - "Tonight, Not Again"
Jimmie's Chicken Shack - "Bring Your Own Stereo"
The Mars Volta - "Frances The Mute"
My Chemical Romance - "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge"
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #778
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer
 
TheManeMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 5,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Damn. Just saw a commercial that the new System of a Down CD will not be out until May 17th. It was supposed to be out in February. Then late-April. Now mid-May. This is getting annoying.
It'll be worth the wait...no doubt...
TheManeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #779
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
WE CAN'T LET THIS DIE!

Just put a few CD's in serious rotation for my Costa Rica trip.

Sting - "Soul Cages"
Social Distortion - "Social Distortion"
Social Distortion - "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell"
LL Cool J - "All World"
Ben Folds Five - "Naked Baby Photos"
Everclear - "So Much For The Afterglow"
Jason Mraz - "Tonight, Not Again"
Jimmie's Chicken Shack - "Bring Your Own Stereo"
The Mars Volta - "Frances The Mute"
My Chemical Romance - "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge"
Costa Rica? How is it down there? I've heard it's the place to go if you wanna go to Central or South America (besides Argentina, that is)

I hated Everclear after Sparkle And Fade..they became wayyy to preachy and whiney for my liking. I've heard a lot about The Mars Volta, but nothing by them as of yet.....what I've read has been interesting.

As for what I'm listening to now, I'm going through the entire Southern Culture On The Skids catalog trying to make up a "Best of" mix for a friend....if you ever get the chance to see SCOTS live then do it....it'll be cheap and hilarious....they blend rockabilly/surf/country and straight ahead rock all filtered through a humorus take on living in and being from the south.

Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:49 PM   #780
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

if i remember correctly -

the mars volta is from members of some punk band that came out texas - i have a cd of theirs but the name escapes me - the radio hit was 'one armed scissor'
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:50 PM   #781
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
if i remember correctly -

the mars volta is from members of some punk band that came out texas - i have a cd of theirs but the name escapes me - the radio hit was 'one armed scissor'
At The Drive In......or something like that.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #782
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
Costa Rica? How is it down there? I've heard it's the place to go if you wanna go to Central or South America (besides Argentina, that is)

I hated Everclear after Sparkle And Fade..they became wayyy to preachy and whiney for my liking. I've heard a lot about The Mars Volta, but nothing by them as of yet.....what I've read has been interesting.
I'll let you know about Costa Rica when I get back in a week. I leave tomorrow morning. I'm amped. I've never been on a real vacation before, always business related. Never been anywhere "exotic" either. So excited.

Everclear is hit or miss for most people. They hit with me. I LOVE Sparkle and Fade, but some of their other stuff just is that poppy-happy vibe which I was going for with that playlist.

As for The Mars Volta.....I haven't listened yet. I picked it up today and am saving it for the flight tomorrow. I've heard that it's VERY drawn out and overblown, and that makes it badass in my opinion. Plus, Flea (from the RHCP) plays trumpet on the album (including the single "The Widow"). I know he used to be a great trumpet player in middle and high school, but I didn't know he still had his chops. Doubt he'll do much more than background stuff, but I'm curious to really listen for it.

In an unrelated note, I just heard the new single for Gwen Stefani. It's called "Hollaback Girl". This is going to be a HUGE hit. Astronomical. Notice I didn't say it was good. The Neptunes (who I absolutley LOVE) produced it and it sounds NOTHING like what is on the air today. If I had to describe it, it'd almost be like a high school cheering/stomping section gone bad. The whole song is based on the phrase, "This my sh*t". I found a copy of the song and have had it on a loop for about 30 minutes now. It's driving me insane.....but Pharrell and Chad definately hit the jackpot on that one.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #783
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
At The Drive In......or something like that.
You sir, are correct.

BTW, what station is that band gonna be on XM? I love XM...in my car. I'll make sure to crank it that week.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #784
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

gwen's stuff is my dirty secret - i hate to admit i like her solo project
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #785
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

We all have dirty secrets like that. Besides anything the Neptunes do, one of my favorite bands of all time is the Barenaked Ladies.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #786
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
You sir, are correct.

BTW, what station is that band gonna be on XM? I love XM...in my car. I'll make sure to crank it that week.
They aren't even sure yet Nug....and my sig is wrong...it'll either air the week of April 11th or the week of April 18th. I can let you know for sure once it gets nailed down though....I want to find someone who has XM to record it for me as those in attendance say it was one of their very best performances.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #787
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
At The Drive In......or something like that.

yes that's it!
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #788
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
As for The Mars Volta.....I haven't listened yet. I picked it up today and am saving it for the flight tomorrow. I've heard that it's VERY drawn out and overblown, and that makes it badass in my opinion. Plus, Flea (from the RHCP) plays trumpet on the album (including the single "The Widow"). I know he used to be a great trumpet player in middle and high school, but I didn't know he still had his chops. Doubt he'll do much more than background stuff, but I'm curious to really listen for it.
I've really enjoyed it (see avatar). It is very drawn out, and I've read criticism saying that the twelve minute songs could be cut down to under five. True it could, but it wouldn't be the same. The Mars Volta isn't trying to make short, catchy songs that get radio play. That's why they left ATDI. If your enjoy Frances the Mute I suggest picking up their other album Deloused in the Comatorium.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #789
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist
 
DB-Freak's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A
I've really enjoyed it (see avatar). It is very drawn out, and I've read criticism saying that the twelve minute songs could be cut down to under five. True it could, but it wouldn't be the same. The Mars Volta isn't trying to make short, catchy songs that get radio play. That's why they left ATDI. If your enjoy Frances the Mute I suggest picking up their other album Deloused in the Comatorium.
Deloused in the Comatorium was great stuff.

One of the my favorite recent modern rock albums.

What are fav songs from it?

Mine is number 5, drunkship of lanterns I think.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #790
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

I'm going to see jimmy cliff tomorrow
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #791
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarettNextTD
Deloused in the Comatorium was great stuff.

One of the my favorite recent modern rock albums.

What are fav songs from it?

Mine is number 5, drunkship of lanterns I think.
Tough. I like all of them. Interiatic ESP and Televators always stick out for me, but all the songs grow on me each time I listen. A great album to be sure.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #792
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
I'm going to see jimmy cliff tomorrow
He was just hear. Apparently had a great set, but it was only an hour long for some reason.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:12 AM   #793
Pat Bowlen
President/Chief Executive
 
Pat Bowlen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,702
Default

The new Out Hud, for the next hour or so.
Pat Bowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #794
Pat Bowlen
President/Chief Executive
 
Pat Bowlen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,702
Default

The Faint - Blank Wave Arcade, then Danse Macabre.
Pat Bowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #795
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,525

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Derek and Dominos-Live at the fillmore
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #796
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,083

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
He was just hear. Apparently had a great set, but it was only an hour long for some reason.
2hrs here - good show, good set - great band - awesome energy
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #797
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,260
Default

Anybody listened to the Kaiser Chiefs yet? They're the latest import from Britian. Great dance-rock music in the mold of Franz Ferdinand. Hell, I may even like them better. Gotta give it a few more listens.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #798
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,260
Default

I've been spinning a lot of Yo La Tengo lately as well. I don't know how they flew under my radar for so long. What a great band. I just picked up Fakebook, which features 5 orginals and 11 covers, some from largely unknown bands like The Scene Is Now, and others from staples like Cat Stevens ("Here Comes My Baby") and the Kinks ("Oklahoma USA"). Highly addictive stuff. I even put in order on Amazon for albumns by the aforementioned The Scene Is Now as well as another covered band, NRBQ. So not only does this band entice the ears, but they also spread the gospel of bands who I otherwise might have never heard of!

If you've never listened to them before, start with I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. It's an eclectic mix of sounds ranging from noisy ear candy a la The Jesus and Mary Chain, to alt/roots-country, to electronica, to 60s pop, and more. They even do a noisy cover of the Beach Boys "Little Honda." This record's got it all. A true pleasure. I can't recommend this band enough.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 03-21-2005 at 04:33 PM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #799
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno
I've been spinning a lot of Yo La Tengo lately as well. I don't know how they flew under my radar for so long. What a great band. I just picked up Fakebook, which features 5 orginals and 11 covers, some from largely unknown bands like The Scene Is Now, and others from staples like Cat Stevens ("Here Comes My Baby") and the Kinks ("Oklahoma USA"). Highly addictive stuff. I even put in order on Amazon for albumns by the aforementioned The Scene Is Now as well as another covered band, NRBQ. So not only does this band entice the ears, but they also spread the gospel of bands who I otherwise might have never heard of!

If you've never listened to them before, start with I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. It's an eclectic mix of sounds ranging from noisy ear candy a la The Jesus and Mary Chain, to alt/roots-country, to electronica, to 60s pop, and more. They even do a noisy cover of the Beach Boys "Little Honda." This record's got it all. A true pleasure. I can't recommend this band enough.
You know it....I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One and Painful are musts for any serious alternative collection....they are first rate classics and rank as two of the very best CD's of the 1990's....of any genre.

Fakebook is a great CD as well....these are rock critics/historians afterall, that's the kind of CD you'd expect from musicians with that kind of background...check out Genius + Love = Yo La Tengo for a continuation of that kind of thing without the acoustic domination of Fakebook. I'd also recommend President Yo La Tengo/New Wave Hot Dogs as another top notch Tengo CD to check out....the rest all have there moments and are worthy of purchase (Except maybe Summer Sun, which even a hardcore believer must admit, is a total snore...like a majority of 2000's And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, it is far too hushed, ambient and "mature" electronica for my liking).

Tengo will come to be regarded as one of the most important bands of the 90's in the future...much like the Velvet Underground, which was largely ignored during it's day, came to be seen for what it was many, many years later....I have no doubts about that at all.

Last edited by Hogan11; 03-22-2005 at 01:43 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #800
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default Perfect CD for Chef fans Ha!

Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Denver Broncos