The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #651
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

BTW, everyone watching the Grammy's tonight keep an eye out for two things I have connections to. Well, if the Grammy's return to the "Awards presented earlier include" with the quick scroll that is.

Best Contemporary World Album:

Paco DeLucia - "Costias Buenas" -- I worked on the promotion of this album. INCREDIBLE flamenco guitarist. THis is our only nominee this year. Last year, we had 4, but we kept going against members of the Buena Vista Social Club -- in other words we had no shot.

Also, I believe it's "Best Historical Album", but David Glasser who works at AirShow Mastering here in Boulder (and right next door to my internship) is up for an award on re-mastering a bunch of old historical albums for a box set. He's already won twice, so hopefully he can add a third tonight. Very cool guy.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #652
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
BTW, everyone watching the Grammy's tonight keep an eye out for two things I have connections to. Well, if the Grammy's return to the "Awards presented earlier include" with the quick scroll that is.

Best Contemporary World Album:

Paco DeLucia - "Costias Buenas" -- I worked on the promotion of this album. INCREDIBLE flamenco guitarist. THis is our only nominee this year. Last year, we had 4, but we kept going against members of the Buena Vista Social Club -- in other words we had no shot.

Also, I believe it's "Best Historical Album", but David Glasser who works at AirShow Mastering here in Boulder (and right next door to my internship) is up for an award on re-mastering a bunch of old historical albums for a box set. He's already won twice, so hopefully he can add a third tonight. Very cool guy.

I expect greenday to clean house............
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #653
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Should be interesting to see. Green Day might be hurt by the fact it's so political. I think Kanye West is due for a big night.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #654
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
I try to explain that to my 15 year old and he doesnt believe me that it will help him in the long run.........he thinks the casualties/ramones/DK/sex pistols ect are the center of the universe.
Yeah, that's a tough one.

I occasionally run into the same problem with students in his age group.

I don't try to dictate musical tastes to them, but I try to emphasize that, if someday they get serious and decide to pursue music as a career, then stylistic versatility and skills like sight reading, theoretical knowledge, etc., will make them more employable and translate to more $$$.

There are only so many openings for the position of "rock star," and it's good to have a contingency plan for when your 15 minutes are up.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:05 PM   #655
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Try teaching a kid that wants to rock on the drum set how to play a mallet instrument. That's a fun one.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #656
RunByDesign
Stand for the truth...
 
RunByDesign's Avatar
 
..you stand alone.

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 41.191N, 111.97W
Posts: 1,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder
Default



1. TRUE
2. BLACK WOMAN & CHILD
3. PRAISE YE JAH
4. EVERY MOVE I MAKE
5. IN THIS TIME
6. FROM LONG TIME
7. MENTAL CHAINS
8. BLESS BLESS
9. DEM A WONDER
10. PROTECT US AND BLESS
11. BABYLON A LISTEN
12. BREAK FREE
13. MOCKRIES & PHRASE
14. BLASPHEME
15. MADE OF
16. JAH BLESSING
17. BABYLON HOMEWORK
18. KINGS THE EARTH 19. ONE WAY
20. CAN'T COOL CAN'T QUENCH
21. WORD OF TRUTH
22. LOVE AMONGST MY BRETHREN
23. GUIDE OVER US
24. HEALING OF THE NATION
25. LOVE IS DEVINE
26. POWER OF THE EARTH
27. BABYLON A USE DEM BRAIN
28. GOOD WAYS
29. REAL
30. OH CHILDREN
31. LIKE MOUNTAIN
32. BABYLON COWBOY
33. BLESS THE YOUTHS
34. HOMELESS
35. GO ROUND THEM
RunByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:56 PM   #657
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Damn, just found out that both Paco and David Glasser lost. Oh well.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #658
RunByDesign
Stand for the truth...
 
RunByDesign's Avatar
 
..you stand alone.

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 41.191N, 111.97W
Posts: 1,649

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder
Default

RunByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:18 PM   #659
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Anyone have a recommendation on Buddy Holly? I really need to learn more about him. I love "Peggy Sue", but that's all I've really heard.

Yes, I know this makes me a bad musical elitist.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #660
kent156
King of the Ants
 
kent156's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Paradise lost
Posts: 731
Default

anything by red hot chili peppers ,soundgarden and audioslave right about now
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #661
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Anyone have a recommendation on Buddy Holly? I really need to learn more about him. I love "Peggy Sue", but that's all I've really heard.

Yes, I know this makes me a bad musical elitist.
First off, there's no such thing as a "bad musical elitist"....I freely admit that when it comes to this stuff, they don't come much more elitist than I....call it a fault or whatever, but I tend to think of it as a virtue.

Now onto your question for Buddy Holly....seek out From The Original Master Tapes not only one of the best sounding Holly "best of's" out there, but the one that delivers almost all of the goods you really need without being a completist. Plus, as an added bonus, I think you can get it on the cheap nowadays, giving it even more of an edge.

Hope that helps.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #662
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Lately its been Leave Eyes ' Lovelorn ' and ' Golem's ' Dreamweaver '.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:54 PM   #663
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel
 
FADERPROOF's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eastlake OH
Posts: 17,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Zyklon
Lately its been Leave Eyes ' Lovelorn ' and ' Golem's ' Dreamweaver '.
Fellow metal friend,

Check out Mudvaynes new CD "Lost and Found." It's not out until April 12th, but they have 2 songs out there and probably can get more if you download them.

They tear it up in this one, Mudvayne kicks ass.

FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:29 AM   #664
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenFan38
Fellow metal friend,

Check out Mudvaynes new CD "Lost and Found." It's not out until April 12th, but they have 2 songs out there and probably can get more if you download them.

They tear it up in this one, Mudvayne kicks ass.


hmmm, ive never been a big Mudvayne fan but i do think their bassist kicks ass. ill think ill take your word and check it out.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:26 AM   #665
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Elvis Costello - "The Delivery Man"

and because I've got new Elvis.....

Elvis Costello - "My Aim Is True"
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #666
broncofan
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
broncofan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 880
Default

nine out of ten times i have a burnt cd in my car stereo, which, other than my computer, is really the only place that i listen to music. i do, however, have twista's "kamikaze" playing in there now.
broncofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #667
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel
 
FADERPROOF's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eastlake OH
Posts: 17,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Zyklon
hmmm, ive never been a big Mudvayne fan but i do think their bassist kicks ass. ill think ill take your word and check it out.
Rick Martinie(bassist) does tear it up, plays a 6-string bass which is rather uncommon(I believe most are 4 or 5 strings.) Matt McDonough is exceptional on drums as well, which is why I orginally started listening to them.

Personally, I like their ona nd off kind of style, they'll play a full out aggressive song like "Dig", then come back with a overall solid song like "Death Blooms" and then have a slow to fast then back to slow then back to fast song like "Nothing to gein", just a real cool difference in their music.

"Determined" and "Happy?" are the 2 song that are out now, determined is jsut an agressive ass song like Dig was, Happy is more of a "Not Falling", where it's never slow but doesnt really get THAT intense.
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:19 PM   #668
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
First off, there's no such thing as a "bad musical elitist"....I freely admit that when it comes to this stuff, they don't come much more elitist than I....call it a fault or whatever, but I tend to think of it as a virtue.

Now onto your question for Buddy Holly....seek out From The Original Master Tapes not only one of the best sounding Holly "best of's" out there, but the one that delivers almost all of the goods you really need without being a completist. Plus, as an added bonus, I think you can get it on the cheap nowadays, giving it even more of an edge.

Hope that helps.
Couldn't find From The Original Master Tapes, and I searched all of the stores in town, even the ugly chain ones. So I gave up and grabbed a used copy of Greatest Hits from MCA. It has "Peggy Sue", "That'll Be The Day" and "It's So Easy", so I'm happy.

As for no such thing as bad musical elitist, I really am. I have an elitist attitude, but I also enjoy some real crap. Plus, I've been blessed with an UNCANNY ability to tolerate pop music -- my friend once dared me to sit through an entire "Top 25 Countdown" on the radio once and I did it without flinching. He left after 4 songs. Probably good considering the career I want to go into.
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 AM   #669
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist
 
alkemical's Avatar
 
rorrim|mirror

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Future
Posts: 43,095

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default

Pop isn't bad if it's done well. The beatles were/are pop - INXS (i dig them) -
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #670
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 20,988

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggets4
Couldn't find From The Original Master Tapes, and I searched all of the stores in town, even the ugly chain ones. So I gave up and grabbed a used copy of Greatest Hits from MCA. It has "Peggy Sue", "That'll Be The Day" and "It's So Easy", so I'm happy.
Well, when you're dealing with an artist like Holly (meaning a limited catalog) almost any "Best Of" package will do. You'd have to be a pretty maniacal audiophile to notice the difference in the sound now anyways.

Quote:
As for no such thing as bad musical elitist, I really am. I have an elitist attitude, but I also enjoy some real crap.
So do I. "Enjoying some real crap" means "Guilty Pleasure" to me. I'm a sucker for Bubblegum Pop of the 60's and 70's and have a ton of it in my collection....you know, stuff like songs from The Banana Splits TV show or songs like Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes..that kinda thing. Yeah, it raises some eyebrows from time to time, but I don't care....I mean, why should I?

The hilarious thing about that stuff is that if you listen to it now, most of the backing tracks rock harder than almost any pop music (and some supposed rock) released over the last twenty years or so.

Last edited by Hogan11; 02-17-2005 at 08:43 AM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #671
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer
 
TheManeMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Posts: 5,182
Default



No Use For A Name - Leche Con Carne...
TheManeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #672
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Anybody listen to savoy brown? its a must to any collection...........
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #673
Bronx33
lets go partner
 
Bronx33's Avatar
 
Rumpson Rocks

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lakewood,Colo
Posts: 40,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523
Pop isn't bad if it's done well. The beatles were/are pop - INXS (i dig them) -

In my day the chicks LOVED INXS..........ahhhhhhhhh the memories! after the gold rush! and 3.2 beer!
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:55 AM   #674
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 55,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33
Anybody listen to savoy brown? its a must to any collection...........
Back in the day, I used to listen to "Lookin' In," "Hellbound Train," "Raw Sienna," etc. SB was definitely an example of British blues rock at its finest.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #675
Nuggets4
Requisite Nugs Die-Hard
 
Nuggets4's Avatar
 
Buffaloes, Buffaloes, Go C-U!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,335

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Allen Iverson
Default

John Mayer and Kanye West working together. Watch the video, it's hilarious.

"Daughters, b*tches"

http://www.mtv.com/bands/g/grammys_0...05/index.jhtml
Nuggets4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 PM.


Denver Broncos