The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2004, 10:35 PM   #276
DONKEYSHOW
Lunatic fringe

I'll Be Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11
Many have cited Curtis's voice as a weakness, and admittedly it is hard to get used to on first listen, but I think it suits the material perfectly once you get used to it. The song you point out ("Decades") rounds out that album very well, especially after the very creepy "The Eternal". I tend to point people past the single "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and steer them towards "Atmosphere" for closure on this sound and band.....that song is every bit as haunting and heart-wrenching as anything on Closer IMO.
Hogan,
I havent listened to JD since the mid 80s. Is there really some important music in those old albums? Im just asking because I was always drunk and in a toga when they were playing that stuff.
I had a friend who was so into those guys, but I never really got a chance to digest them.
Worth a trip to Best Buy??(not sarcasm)!
DONKEYSHOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:02 PM   #277
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONKEYSHOW
Hogan,
I havent listened to JD since the mid 80s. Is there really some important music in those old albums? Im just asking because I was always drunk and in a toga when they were playing that stuff.
I had a friend who was so into those guys, but I never really got a chance to digest them.
Worth a trip to Best Buy??(not sarcasm)!
Lemme get this straight...they played Joy Division at a toga party?!?!? I bet that brought things to a screeching hault moodwise

I'd recommend anything in the catalog really...but you may wanna start with the actual releases Unknown Pleasures and Closer first and then use Substance to fill in the loose ends. Still is good as well but has a lot of live material on it and Joy Division, like most new wave/punk bands of the time, didn't translate well when it came to live recordings IMO. (as a sidenote here, I know they've been releasing certain whole live shows recently, but I haven't had the chance to hear them yet, but going by the live material on Still and by the concert video Here Are The Young Men, I'd say stay away from those until the other records get their hooks into you.

Joy Division is definitely worth a trip to best buy or an order from Amazon.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:32 PM   #278
DONKEYSHOW
Lunatic fringe

I'll Be Back!

Quote:
Lemme get this straight...they played Joy Division at a toga party?!?!? I bet that brought things to a screeching hault moodwise

I'd recommend anything in the catalog really...but you may wanna start with the actual releases Unknown Pleasures and Closer first and then use Substance to fill in the loose ends. Still is good as well but has a lot of live material on it and Joy Division, like most new wave/punk bands of the time, didn't translate well when it came to live recordings IMO. (as a sidenote here, I know they've been releasing certain whole live shows recently, but I haven't had the chance to hear them yet, but going by the live material on Still and by the concert video Here Are The Young Men, I'd say stay away from those until the other records get their hooks into you.

Thanks,
Im mildly familiar with them, and like what I know of them. I will check them out.
DONKEYSHOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 PM   #279
Nick C.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyBone7
What are some of ure cds u have in ure stereo and car right now....mine are

Home stereo-
Twista- Kamikaze
Makavelli (2pac)- 7 day theory
A mic cd
Murphy Lee- Murphys Law
Graveyard Shift- Still waters
Krayzie Bone- THug on da line
Dead Prez- Get free or die tryin
Jay Z- The black album

Car stereo-
A mix (in the player, rest are what i usually listen to)
Bizzy Bone- The gift
Cap-one- tHeory of life
Cap-one- Through the eyes of a don
DSGB- Til Death do us part (pastor troys group)
Bone thugs n harmony_ Thug world order

Bathroom player-
L Burna- THug by Nature

for me my car stereo is the highest honor, because thats where i lsiten to most of my music. My room stereo i listen to alot but not as much as my car one.
Oh **** found another Head in the crowd I was feeling all alone!

I listen to all of what you have listed for the most part on a regular basis,

right now in my home Changer is Some Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and The new Talib Kewli "Beutiful People".

I primaraly listen to anything Tupac and love that they have been playing "when we Ride on our enemies" at kick off.
Nick C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #280
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick C.

right now in my home Changer is Some Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and The new Talib Kewli "Beutiful People".

I primaraly listen to anything Tupac and love that they have been playing "when we Ride on our enemies" at kick off.
hey buddy Ur not alone. Im a huge rap, soul, R&B, Jazz, Blues, Funk. I love Marvin Gaye especially. I think he has one of the best voices ever.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:10 PM   #281
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:

Hogan seeing that you like Hives Im guessing u are more into classic rock . You like any of metal or more contemporary rock bands?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #282
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

In my player recently:

213 - The Hard Way
Young Buck - Straight Outta Ca$hville
Lloyd Banks - The Hunger For More
Paradime - 11 Steps Down
Notorious BIG - Ready To Die [Remaster]
Twista - Kamikaze

And of course my MP3 mix CD. God bless the man who found a way for me to have a CD with over a hundred songs.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:52 PM   #283
Nick C.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU
In my player recently:

213 - The Hard Way
Paradime - 11 Steps Down
Twista - Kamikaze

And of course my MP3 mix CD. God bless the man who found a way for me to have a CD with over a hundred songs.
you heard the "Advance" for the 213 CD? I like it a little better has a killer song called "Doller Doller Bill"
Old 09-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #284
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

my bigass 200cd jukebox? changing cd's sucks. from anthrax to zombie. and everything in between from my ex's karen carpenter-voice of an angel- to ministry and flock of seagulls to stacic x.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:55 AM   #285
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freekofnature
Hogan seeing that you like Hives Im guessing u are more into classic rock . You like any of metal or more contemporary rock bands?

I grew up steeped in classic rock and pop, it is one of my specialities along with alternative and blues. I also dabble in jazz....I pretty much try to follow everything with the exceptions of country & rap....I have little use for those genres since they've never appealed to me.

As for metal, I really haven't heard anything that has grabbed my attention or has seemed extraordinary to me in years...Every time I hear something like Slipknot or some very weak bullshat like Three Days Grace...it just makes me long for a new Motorhead cd.

I'm curious as to how you think The Hives fit into the classic rock classification though.....why do you feel this way?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:14 AM   #286
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
I grew up steeped in classic rock and pop, it is one of my specialities along with alternative and blues. I also dabble in jazz....I pretty much try to follow everything with the exceptions of country & rap....I have little use for those genres since they've never appealed to me.

As for metal, I really haven't heard anything that has grabbed my attention or has seemed extraordinary to me in years...Every time I hear something like Slipknot or some very weak bullshat like Three Days Grace...it just makes me long for a new Motorhead cd.

I'm curious as to how you think The Hives fit into the classic rock classification though.....why do you feel this way?
Well I dont think Hives is exactly classic rock, but i can see the large influence of the classic rock in their style of music and appearance. At least the singer looks that way.

And Three Days Grace and slipknot is not really metal to me although I dont think Slipknot is too shabby. I hate Three Days Grace. I was talking more around the Late 80's and early 90's music such Pantera, NIN, Korn, Rage, Nirvana, Metallica, and etc.

But dont be mistaken tho cause I listen to pretty much every damn kinda music except country.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:21 AM   #287
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

ALso in the style of Slayer, Megadeth, DanZig, Iron Maiden, and going old school Ledd Zepplin?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:22 AM   #288
Nick C.
Ring of Famer

anyone here listen to a goup HED (Pe) there first two albums I really enjoy,
Old 09-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #289
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Well I dont think Hives is exactly classic rock, but i can see the large influence of the classic rock in their style of music and appearance. At least the singer looks that way.
His Jagger-like mannerisms bring all that on IMO...I find the stylings of '77 punk more than I do classic rock in them....of course 77 punk is pretty much classic rock now I guess...these classifications always tend to lead into trouble....take this next paragraph for instance:

Quote:
And Three Days Grace and slipknot is not really metal to me although I dont think Slipknot is too shabby. I hate Three Days Grace. I was talking more around the Late 80's and early 90's music such Pantera, NIN, Korn, Rage, Nirvana, Metallica, and etc..
Now see, I would label NIN as industrial, Nirvava as grunge, etc. So you can see how the meanings and signals can get crossed with this stuff.

Quote:
But dont be mistaken tho cause I listen to pretty much every damn kinda music except country.
Cool....I collect CD's like baseball cards...such is my mania and passion for sound.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #290
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:

And Three Days Grace and slipknot is not really metal to me although I dont think Slipknot is too shabby. I hate Three Days Grace. I was talking more around the Late 80's and early 90's music such Pantera, NIN, Korn, Rage, Nirvana, Metallica, and etc.

My bad i should have been clearer. After you said you like all kinds of music I didnt narrow it down to just Metal. I was just talking about music in general metal and rock catergory. My fault if i wasnt clear on you.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:38 AM   #291
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
ALso in the style of Slayer, Megadeth, DanZig, Iron Maiden, and going old school Ledd Zepplin?
I got very, very tired of Led Zepplin...not dissing it or anything because it is great stuff, but it was pounded into the ground with me when I was in high school (early 80's) and I've never been a fan of Robert Plant and that voice of his anyways. I wouldn't miss them if I never heard them again, let's put it that way.

Danzig I liked much better with The Misfits.

Never been into Mustaine or Maiden.

I do like Slayer for some odd reason, though the early stuff is head & shoulders better over the latter material.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:39 AM   #292
Nick C.
Ring of Famer

I like music you can not Lable it is usefull for the consumer but hurts the band alot IMO, alot of people formulate an opinion on a genra based on the brake through groups. I think more general terms like "hip Hop","Rock","Metal" are enough.

and to Hogan you have DVD Music? I want to get into a higher Defanition platform and not sure if it is worth it yet?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:42 AM   #293
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
I got very, very tired of Led Zepplin...not dissing it or anything because it is great stuff, but it was pounded into the ground with me when I was in high school (early 80's) and I've never been a fan of Robert Plant and that voice of his anyways. I wouldn't miss them if I never heard them again, let's put it that way.

Danzig I liked much better with The Misfits.

Never been into Mustaine or Maiden.

I do like Slayer for some odd reason, though the early stuff is head & shoulders better over the latter material.
Yes many of the bands i have mentioned Im talking about their earlier days.

Speaking of earlier days, Are you a Pre-Black album metallica fan or Black album and beyond fan.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #294
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Yes many of the bands i have mentioned Im talking about their earlier days.

Speaking of earlier days, Are you a Pre-Black album metallica fan or Black album and beyond fan.
I'll take pre-Black Metallica....if I have to take any at all. I'm not a fan of them really but I do do a mean Hatfield imitation ("Yeah hah")

and to Nick...I haven't made the transition to DVD yet..I really haven't investigated it that much to give a quality comment on it...sorry.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:03 AM   #295
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Hmm I guess we dont have much to coincide on then....sigh. O well I was hoping to talk some music, but I guess not.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:16 AM   #296
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Hmm I guess we dont have much to coincide on then....sigh. O well I was hoping to talk some music, but I guess not.
I know DenFan and a couple of others on here are huge metal fans, they could talk this with you much better than I could....I'm much more focused on garage and alternative bands and am only passively following the metal scene at the moment.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:26 AM   #297
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Quote:
I know DenFan and a couple of others on here are huge metal fans, they could talk this with you much better than I could....I'm much more focused on garage and alternative bands and am only passively following the metal scene at the moment.
Garage and Alternative bands........Name some of them?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #298
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:
Garage and Alternative bands........Name some of them?
Well, things like: The Hives, The Strokes, The Walkmen, Interpol (thanks Inferno), Death Cab For Cutie, Franz Ferdinand, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes, The Rhinos, Maxeen, Jet, Lolas, The Donnas....bands like that mixed in with my usual ska fix of The Pietasters, Mustard Plug, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Planet Smashers, etc.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:24 PM   #299
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Well, things like: The Hives, The Strokes, The Walkmen, Interpol (thanks Inferno), Death Cab For Cutie, Franz Ferdinand, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes, The Rhinos, Maxeen, Jet, Lolas, The Donnas....bands like that mixed in with my usual ska fix of The Pietasters, Mustard Plug, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Planet Smashers, etc.
I love Death Cab For Cutie.

oh and right now im listening to Rilo Kiley - The Execution of all things.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 PM   #300
BizzyBone7
*#27*

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Lambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick C.

they seriously play that song at kickoff...thats crazy, great song tho.

Quote:
213 - The Hard Way
Paradime - 11 Steps Down
Twista - Kamikaze
i got that young buck one, its better than i thought. hes more lyrical than he puts out...whos that paradime, i never heard of them
BizzyBone7 is offline   Reply With Quote