The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #2926
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Another thing about mixed tapes is that if you make a theme-based tape for another individual, they are much more likely to listen to all the songs since it's more difficult to skip around.
Absolutely....and I still think they're easier to handle in a car as well.

What got me to work today? This did:
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #2927
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
So he doesn't do it here as much as he did in Soundgarden or Temple Of The Dog (especially Temple Of The Dog) He's an irritating vocalist any way you slice it....he pretty much defines the term histrionic
Cornell is great for the genre. His vocal and Thayil's odd guitar tone/work made a nice combination.

Your irritation does not a bad vocal make. Thousands would disagree. Some would probably call him the best metal vocalist of his era.

Superunknown is an excellent album.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #2928
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Absolutely....and I still think they're easier to handle in a car as well.

What got me to work today? This did:

Sorry man, but that sounds like the same britpop droll that has seeped out of every dive in London since 1972.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #2929
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Knopfler pretty much borrowed Chet Atkins style lick for lick.
Knopfler owes alot to Atkins, but Atkins is a world beyond Mark.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #2930
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
Cornell is great for the genre. His vocal and Thayil's odd guitar tone/work made a nice combination.

Your irritation does not a bad vocal make. Thousands would disagree. Some would probably call him the best metal vocalist of his era.

Superunknown is an excellent album.
Well, you know what they say about the lowest common denominator....
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #2931
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
Sorry man, but that sounds like the same britpop droll that has seeped out of every dive in London since 1972.
Which is still heads and shoulders above most of what else is out there.

If you're not familiar with Teenage Fanclub, it's your loss. Very underrated, they evolved into a great power pop unit and one of the best bands of the 90's

Last edited by Hogan11; 07-28-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #2932
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Which is still heads and shoulders above most of what else is out there.

If you're not familiar with Teenage Fanclub, it's your loss. Very underrated, they evolved into a great power pop unit and one of the best bands of the 90's
Sure...I know Teenage Fanclub...as much as I could take. The only stuff I could get into was the EP they did with Frank Black.

I was introduced to them in 1995 I believe, and was exposed enough to take the disc to CD Tradeworld fairly quickly.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #2933
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
Sure...I know Teenage Fanclub...as much as I could take. The only stuff I could get into was the EP they did with Frank Black.

I was introduced to them in 1995 I believe, and was exposed enough to take the disc to CD Tradeworld fairly quickly.
Sounds about what I did with Black's post Pixies work.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #2934
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Sounds about what I did with Black's post Pixies work.
Touche.

Its definitely not The Pixies.

Much more skill on display in Frank Black. He actually has a couple of guys who can play on those records.

Its more Beefheart than Black Francis.

There's some great stuff on early Frank Black records, though. Stuff that never existed before he put it on record. Trademark stuff. The kind of music that you would expect to have heard in some acid head's collection circa 1970.

Equally as original as The Pixies. More subtly influential. Less attractive to the anxious. In the vein of XTC...not Nirvana.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #2935
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
Touche.

Its definitely not The Pixies.

Much more skill on display in Frank Black. He actually has a couple of guys who can play on those records.

Its more Beefheart than Black Francis.

There's some great stuff on early Frank Black records, though. Stuff that never existed before he put it on record. Trademark stuff. The kind of music that you would expect to have heard in some acid head's collection circa 1970.

Equally as original as The Pixies. More subtly influential. Less attractive to the anxious. In the vein of XTC...not Nirvana.
Didn't think much of anything post-Pixies that came across my desk...and I was jazzed early on because he was working with ex Pere Ubu members, alas nothing much impressed me, not even "Headache", which now, I can barely remember. Last thing to come my way was Fast Man Raider Man, again, I was unimpressed.

Like Bob Mould's, Black's solo career has largely lost my interest these days..you can only be disappointed so many times and although I regret not seeing the Pixies reunion shows, they didn't really come around my area anyways, so there ya go.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #2936
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Control Denied
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #2937
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default

http://bluepower.com/media/guitarcarl.mov
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #2938
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Didn't think much of anything post-Pixies that came across my desk...and I was jazzed early on because he was working with ex Pere Ubu members, alas nothing much impressed me, not even "Headache", which now, I can barely remember. Last thing to come my way was Fast Man Raider Man, again, I was unimpressed.

Like Bob Mould's, Black's solo career has largely lost my interest these days..you can only be disappointed so many times and although I regret not seeing the Pixies reunion shows, they didn't really come around my area anyways, so there ya go.
I wasnt a big fan of his singles save Los Angeles which is a unique witty piece with an odd time sig and loud guitars.

I think that his best stuff is heard in the ones that were too far removed from Pixies for those fans to even hear the songs out. Songs like "Two Spaces", "Abstract Plain", "Every Time I Go 'Round Here", "Superabound", "The Marsist", "Parry the Wind High Low", "The Creature Crawling", "Big Red" etc.

His recent albums have lost the witty charm and quirky chord progressions that his earlier stuff had in bunches.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #2939
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,272

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Ultimate Zydeco.


Where's my "hurricane"?
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #2940
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
Ultimate Zydeco.


Where's my "hurricane"?
Is there any Beau Jocque on that? My all time fave Zydeco artist, I loved that guy's stuff, I have all the original releases. I had a chance to see him once at the Mid City Lanes and passed on it....he was gone two years later
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #2941
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
I wasnt a big fan of his singles save Los Angeles which is a unique witty piece with an odd time sig and loud guitars.

I think that his best stuff is heard in the ones that were too far removed from Pixies for those fans to even hear the songs out. Songs like "Two Spaces", "Abstract Plain", "Every Time I Go 'Round Here", "Superabound", "The Marsist", "Parry the Wind High Low", "The Creature Crawling", "Big Red" etc.

His recent albums have lost the witty charm and quirky chord progressions that his earlier stuff had in bunches.
Nah, it never caught on with me...I compared him to Bob Mould in that his solo stuff I also had high hopes for and (save for Sugar's Copper Blue) most of what I heard underwhelmed me. Expectations could've been too high, but that would've worn off over time I think.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #2942
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!
 
TailgateNut's Avatar
 
.......as much as tebonites

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mile High
Posts: 20,272

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Is there any Beau Jocque on that? My all time fave Zydeco artist, I loved that guy's stuff, I have all the original releases. I had a chance to see him once at the Mid City Lanes and passed on it....he was gone two years later

"Pine point trail ride" and "No Good woman" by Beau Jocque and a few good ones by Rockin Dopsie Jr and the Zydeco twisters who where the band at a private party I attended while in Nawlins last week.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #2943
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryllama View Post
Sorry man, but that sounds like the same britpop droll that has seeped out of every dive in London since 1972.
Not every band has to reinvent the wheel. Certainly, Teenage Fanclub cribbed liberally from Big Star, Badfinger etc., but hell, who cares....it just sounds great (this is basically my opinion of the first two Oasis albums as well).
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #2944
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,260
Default

Guided By Voices

BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #2945
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Not every band has to reinvent the wheel. Certainly, Teenage Fanclub cribbed liberally from Big Star, Badfinger etc., but hell, who cares....it just sounds great (this is basically my opinion of the first two Oasis albums as well).

Not every band has to reinvent the wheel, but IMO its more interesting to appreciate the designs of a mercedes as opposed to those of a little red wagon.

Its quite a better ride as well.

I have never enjoyed Oasis either.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #2946
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #2947
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Stand Up is a much better representation of Jethro Tull IMHO

That bass line was one of the very first things I learned how to play when I was starting out....the album is still my overall fave in the Tull catalog to this day.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #2948
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post

I like this one from the Rolling Stones Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. Ian Anderson appears to be somewhat deranged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIyvb2gtOSA
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #2949
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
Stand Up is a much better representation of Jethro Tull IMHO
That record is one of my favorites too, but I think Tull is much too multi-faceted to be represented by any one particular album.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #2950
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
That record is one of my favorites too, but I think Tull is much too multi-faceted to be represented by any one particular album.
Oh, I don't know...I thought that summed up all the band's strengths quite nicely in a package that was solid from top to bottom. I know it's not as popular as Aqualung or as career definitive as Living In The Past, but I still consider it the apex of early Tull.
Another fave from that record
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Denver Broncos