The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Map your Surname

This is my result. Also have a world version on the site.

I am very Irish and the name comes from the Celtic people.

http://named.publicprofiler.org/ - UK only

http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/Default.aspx - World
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jordan Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

[IMG]I am very Irish and the name comes from the Celtic people.

That's funny, "Falco" sounds more Italian than Irish. But most folks can't even tell the two countries' flags apart, much less their people. Especially tough for Keanu. Jk- what movie is that?

3/4 of me is 5/8 Irish (don't know my maternal grandfather, me mum wuz adopted). We're from the Republic - Counties Cork , Waterford and Tipperary. What I don't understand is how SO many people in this country are Irish.

Ireland itself is more populated today than ever - the Republic and Northern Ireland combined recently topped the 6 million mark. But count the number of people in the United States who call themselves half Irish or more ... and you'd get 110 million, easy. That's ONE-THIRD of our 330 million. They are either badly misinformed, or, for some unfathomable reason (after all we're not an a particularly accomplished people), they're just lying. I mean, really ... how often do you hear someone say that they are "half British?" Great Britain is nearly 10 times the population of Ireland, and contrary to what you may think, they too have had a full history of immigration here.

Either tons of folks are lying, or else they should've called the first of us "Shawney O'Appleseed."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
That's funny, "Falco" sounds more Italian than Irish. But most folks can't even tell the two countries' flags apart, much less their people. Especially tough for Keanu. Jk- what movie is that?

3/4 of me is 5/8 Irish (don't know my maternal grandfather, me mum wuz adopted). We're from the Republic - Counties Cork , Waterford and Tipperary. What I don't understand is how SO many people in this country are Irish.

Ireland itself is more populated today than ever - the Republic and Northern Ireland combined recently topped the 6 million mark. But count the number of people in the United States who call themselves half Irish or more ... and you'd get 110 million, easy. That's ONE-THIRD of our 330 million. They are either badly misinformed, or, for some unfathomable reason (after all we're not an a particularly accomplished people), they're just lying. I mean, really ... how often do you hear someone say that they are "half British?" Great Britain is nearly 10 times the population of Ireland, and contrary to what you may think, they too have had a full history of immigration here.

Either tons of folks are lying, or else they should've called the first of us "Shawney O'Appleseed."
The replacements!

But yea the sur name is Lynch actually. My dads side of the fam all from Ireland, my moms side was here in America long before them.

i have often wondered that myself. a huge amount of people came here during famine, but the way some Americans make it sound, like every one of them is irish.

Last edited by ShaneFalco; 05-20-2016 at 07:27 PM..
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jordan Taylor

Yup, my predecessors came over during two different famines...........

European ad for a laundry detergent ....

Actually, it's kinda flattering everybody wants to be Irish, although, like I said, our people have not done much to distinguish ourselves over the decades/centuries.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jordan Taylor

As long as it's just you and me in here Shane Lynch (are you related to Paxton??), and as long as I had to mention how comparatively un-accomplished we are, here's a piece I wrote a few years back about how the Italians have distinguished themselves ... (you are NOT under obligation to read this, but I think they stole our flag):

God's Chosen People?

WITH GREAT RESPECT AND ADMIRATION for Jewish and Mormon friends and acquaintances everywhere, I don't think all the votes are in just yet on the contentious issue of who can rightly claim the title "God's Chosen People." Jews have survived much and accomplished more, and in my experience Mormons regularly exemplify man's best and brightest characteristics. But a title like this one, it should belong to a special people, a generous people. Perhaps those who have done the most to Illuminate the natural world around us, and help all mankind find it's place in that world. If there's an open ballot, my vote goes to: The Italians. Might sound funny at first, but tag along as I explain how the Italians have perfected, or come closest to perfecting, nearly all of mankind's shared endeavors:

Religion:. The Italians did not originate monotheism or the paradigm ‘good vs. evil,’ but they did spread these concepts to the four corners of the Earth. Muhammad was greatly influenced by these teachings, and though it’s not commonly known, Islam relies on much of the Bible's Old Testament ... and teaches the same four gospel accounts of Jesus’ life as Christians do (though Islam of course does not believe Jesus is the Messiah, instead they teach John 14:16 referred to the coming of Muhammad). Today, Islam and Christianity together account for 55 percent of the world’s population, 62 percent of all people of faith ...

Politics/Government: . Though two Greek city-states had earlier adopted legislative bodies that were somewhat similar, Rome established the world's first true 'Republic' when they instituted governance by a combination of legislative and executive bodies. Not long thereafter, Rome decided the Senate would from that date forward be selected by vote, and each senator would periodically stand for election, with every citizen of Rome given the power of the vote. Thus they became the world's first 'Democratic Republic,' one which lasted for nearly 500 years. Today, although a few nations like England and Japan still retain nominal monarchies, all 'first-world' countries are Democratic Republics, and all but 3 of the Top 25 countries by GDP are Democratic Republics (Russia, China and Saudi Arabia are the outliers) ...

Empires:. Compared with the plodding, plundering, bloodthirsty empires of the Eastern hordes, the Romans were quite benevolent. Believing such advancements to be the property of all mankind, they introduced clean water and public sanitation, taught reading and writing to some, and shared scientific and medical advancements with all their conquered peoples ...

Exploration and Discovery: .Granted they can’t challenge the Portuguese and Spanish in sheer number of discoveries, but Italian discoveries are landmark ones: Marco Polo the first European to visit China and the far east, Christopher Columbus, though not the "discoverer" of America, did bring Europeans to the Americas, and was the first to land in South America. The Americas were named for Amerigo Vespucci, and the longest bridge in the Americas is named for Giovanni de Verrazzano. The Italian climber Reinhold Messner was the first to scale Mount Everest solo, the first to scale Everest without supplementary oxygen and the first to scale all fourteen 8000 meter world peaks. For these feats and more, Messner is universally acclaimed the greatest mountain climber ever ...

Banking/Currency: .The Italians created banking and a common currency - arguably the two most powerful forces for promoting social intercourse and cooperation between nations ever devised. In the second century BC, Rome established deposit and lending banks throughout the Mediterranean and beyond, and introduced the first ever common currency throughout the Empire. The 'Aureus' was a fungible coin with a solid valuation, making it universally relied upon and accepted. Its widespread use spurred explosive growth in commerce, trade and manufacturing - the kind of growth barter or precious metals never could. Later, in the 1300s, the Italian Medici, Peruzzi and Grimaldi Banks established modern banking practices and a worldwide currency exchange system with variable rates - a system that exists to this date ...

. . . . .
.. . . . .Was God tipping his hand as to his choice for the title 'His Chosen People?'

Cultural Advancement: .The Renaissance, also known as 'The Italian Renaissance,’ was, until the last 100 years, the most accelerated and inspired period for the advancement of knowledge and creativity in human history. And it started and flourished in Italy ...

Style and Fashion: .Milan is widely known as "The Birthplace of Fashion." Post-war Milan bustled with all manner of new and unique trends in personal style, most notably the dawn of the Pret-a-porter clothing industry. Worldwide demand for all things Milan was so great, the city's annual exports more than quadrupled in just three years - from $726 million in 1951 to $2.6 billion in 1954. Today, even though Paris and New York are the better-known fashion meccas, most of the world's top fashion Houses, including Valentino, Gucci, Versace, Prada, Armani, Ermenegildo Zegna and Dolce & Gabbana - remain headquartered in Milan ...

Communication: .With an alphabet of just 21 letters, the fewest verb forms of any romance language, and the great advantage of being written just as it's spoken, the consensus of linguists the world over is that Italian is among the most efficient and uncomplicated of languages, in both written and spoken forms ...

Automobiles: .The Germans and Japanese make quiet and comfy, sure sure. But no car - absolutely NO car - gets you there like an Italian car gets you there ...

Architecture: .Set aside the historical anomaly of the Giza Pyramids, and again the Italians lead the way. In fact, the cathedrals and theaters in the city of Bologna topped this category all by themselves until perhaps the Eiffel Tower in 1889, or Empire State Building in 1930 ...

Food: .This is a NO STOPPING ZONE ... no argument ... just keeeep moving ...

Art: .For millenia, the Italians have been, by any standard, champions of artistic expression. The rest of all humanity - perhaps even in all its histories combined - falls short of, or at best strains to compete with the transcendent, prolific body of Italian artistic expression ...

Science: .Arguable perhaps, but heed if you will: We know Hawking built upon Einstein's work, and Einstein upon Darwin's. Darwin built upon Galileo's work, and Galileo upon ... upon .... upon nothing. In fact, less than nothing, as Galileo was preceded by myths and superstitions that masqueraded as science. Moreover, his theories and writings were frequently met with disapproval from the Catholic Church and the Roman Inquisition, and he was often summoned before them bodies to defend himself and his theories. Finally, at age 68, the Inquisition sentenced him to house arrest for life - punishment for his vocal support of the heliocentric model. Galileo did make good use of his last nine years at home, he completed the book many believe to be his master work: "Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences." Albert Einstein called the visionary 'Dialogues' confirmation that Galileo truly was "The Father of Modern Physics."

There is much more - in science, medicine, music, literature, the performing arts - inventions like eyeglasses, dentures, anesthesia, newspapers, the radio, piano, typewriter, parachute and more. Names like Guglielmo Marconi, Dante Alighieri, Federico Fellini, Maria Montessori, Archimedes, Fermi, Fibonacci, Raphael, Caruso, Ferrari, Machiavelli, Stradiveri, Armani and Thomas of Acquinas. A galaxy of artists from Da Vinci to Donatello ... El Greco to Caravaggio ... Boticelli to Michelangelo. From a myriad of composers and musicians to the creation of the ballet and the opera.

But even in the midst of all this “much more,” admittedly there does exist one example of “less:" The time-honored Italian capacity for elevating and perfecting all manner of human endeavor extended to one endeavor that is not-so-worthy: Crime. Yes, the Italians even perfected crime. But let's skip all the Godfather-like rationalizations why that pursuit is a worthy one, and instead just ask ourselves: "At this point, why quibble?" In light of what we've seen, can anybody think of another group, religion, tribe or nationality that has done more for mankind, or is more deserving of the title "God's Chosen People?" If you can, you should move right away to get the word out, because it's looking more and more like the vote is gonna be a landslide.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 06-11-2016 at 04:26 AM..
Old 06-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
mnfan
Ring of Famer

It's not a secret if it's known by three people, Raiders SUCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post

According to my Grandpa O'Neil, there are 3 types of people, those who are irish, those who wish they were and those who lie about being irish.
mnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

I am very Irish and the name comes from the Celtic people.

Mine was easy since My Grandmother was pregnant with my dad during the Nazi attacks on London. They got it right, down to the cities. props
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote