The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Default Star Wars

Anyone got their tickets? I have three for Saturday at an IMAX. Gonna be terrific.

Last edited by Guess Who; 12-16-2015 at 12:32 AM..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2015, 01:57 AM   #2
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Star Wars: The Force Awakens review – a spectacular homecoming

5 / 5 stars

JJ Abrams banishes memories of George Lucas’s prequels with this outrageously exciting and romantic return to a world you hadn’t realised you’d missed so much

It’s here — the real Episode Four! From the first few minutes, or even the first few frames, JJ Abrams’s exciting, spectacular and seductively innocent Star Wars: The Force Awakens shows itself a movie in the spirit of the original trilogy, which ended with Return of the Jedi in 1983. (This one takes up the story 30 years later.)

Technically, of course, that was reconfigured as Episode Six, but The Force Awakens makes you forget about the redundancy and pedantry of the prequel-trilogy that came 15 years later. It restores the comedy that Phantom Menace abandoned. The Force Awakens is in touch with the force of action-adventure and fun. My only tiny reservation, which I will get out of the way now, is with a tiny new droid who has a bit of a Scrappy-Doo vibe about him.

The Force Awakens re-awoke my love of the first movie and turned my inner fanboy into my outer fanboy. There are very few films which leave me facially exhausted after grinning for 135 minutes, but this is one. And when Han Solo and Chewie come on, I had a feeling in the cinema I haven’t had since I was 16: not knowing whether to burst into tears or into applause.

JJ Abrams and veteran co-writer Lawrence Kasdan have created a film which is both a narrative progression from the earlier three films and a shrewdly affectionate next-gen reboot of the original 1977 Star Wars — rather in the style of his tremendous re-imagining of the Kirk/Spock Star Trek. Familiar personae, situations and weapons will appear like covers or remixes, and meshed in with new storylines. This notice will be a safe space, incidentally, with a trigger warning only for basic plot points and material already in the public domain.

The original movies were always based on the most extraordinary nexus of personal and family dysfunction: a motor of guilt, shame and conflict. Luke was driven by an increasingly complex Freudian animus against Darth Vader; Han Solo referred to the Millennium Falcon as “she”; male audiences were encouraged both to identify with Luke and to lech over Princess Leia in her outrageous gold slave bikini – and then, with exquisite narrative sadism, we were told they were brother and sister. All this agony is reborn in The Force Awakens: new contortions of fear and black-comic absurdity amidst the romance and excitement.

Luke has been famously absent from the poster for this film, which led me to fear at first that over the past 30 years, like Atticus Finch in Harper Lee’s Go Set A Watchman, he had gone over to the dark side. Suffice it to say that Luke, played by a now grizzled Mark Hamill, is a potent but unwontedly enigmatic presence.
Hollywood awards expert predicts Oscars success for The Force Awakens
Read more

Princess Leia is now a General and still the warrior queen of the resistance - a tougher and more grandmotherly figure. The dark force is resurgent in the form of the First Order, intent on re-establishing a more candidly fascist control, with quasi-Nuremberg rallies. Ranged against them are new fighters for good. There is Rey, a resourceful survivor on the remote planet of Jakku, who feels destiny within her: she is played by newcomer Daisy Ridley with the brittle determination of a young Keira Knightley. British actor John Boyega plays Finn, a former storm trooper who seeks redemption through betraying his evil masters.

This brings me to the terrific performance from Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, the new Dark Lord with a terrible secret. He is gorgeously cruel, spiteful and capricious – and unlike the Vader of old, he is given to petulant temper tantrums, with his lightsaber drawn, when uniformed subordinates have the unwelcome task of telling him of some new, temporary victory for the Resistance. Driver’s almost unreadably droll facial expression is very suited to Kylo Ren’s fastidious and amused contempt for his enemies’ weakness and compassion. There is a brilliant moment when he uses the telekinetic power of the Force against a laser shot.

The lightsaber contests themselves are of course more athletic than in the 70s and 80s but also somehow more humanly interesting: Rey herself needs no condescending advice from men either on unarmed combat or flying the Millennium Falcon.

JJ Abrams has an instinctive sympathy for the classic Star Wars landscapes and lays them out with élan: the switch from galaxies to shadowy forests and of course vast rippling deserts. In almost her first appearance, Rey is seen tobogganing down a huge dune on a sled made of rope. For me it’s a reminder that though the first Star Wars was avowedly inspired by Kurosawa’s The Hidden Fortress, I think it originally derived its look from David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia or even the dreamscapes of Dalí.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens – your interactive cheat sheet
Read more

But of course this film is part of an entertainment world so huge it need refer only to itself. The Force Awakens does not, in the way of other franchises, feel the need to be “dark” – having of course repudiated the dark side. It basically powers along on a great surging riptide of idealism and optimism, that family-movie ethic which some have derided for killing off the dystopian tradition of sci-fi. In fact, Star Wars has now gone beyond the sci-fi genre to its own kind of intergalactic quasi-Arthurian romance: that and a return to the world of Saturday morning pictures. The Force Awakens is ridiculous and melodramatic and sentimental of course, but exciting and brimming with energy and its own kind of generosity. What a Christmas present.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015...lar-homecoming
Old 12-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
muninoel
Seasoned Veteran

NFL Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
M Schofield ;)

I'm going tomorrow (Thursday 12/17) to see it in 3-D, and again on Friday with my son.
muninoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muninoel View Post
I'm going tomorrow (Thursday 12/17) to see it in 3-D, and again on Friday with my son.
My daughter and I are going Saturday IMAX 3d.. tickets are $17 each. Wife is out of town so will probably go again later with her.... I love politics but Star Wars "trumps" it any day of the week.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Guess Who
Awesomeness

HAHAHA... this chick rocks

Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
Guess Who
Awesomeness

All you really want to know is whether it's good, right? Well, in fact, it is better than it had to be.

Full Review… | December 16, 2015

Bob Mondello
NPR
Top Critic
Episode 7 of "Stars Wars" is an enjoyable retread, full of great new young actors and returning favorites.

Full Review… | December 17, 2015

Paul Chambers
Movie Chambers
The Force Awakens reboots the franchise right ... so why does it feel like a 'Star Wars' remake more than a sequel?

Christian Toto
HollywoodInToto.com
The best disappointing movie ever.

Alex Leadbeater
What Culture
If we can't have an original story, in the purest sense, or even original characters, we're asked to be content with a Star Wars film that's aesthetically rich, lovingly made and true to the meat and potatoes storytelling fundamentals of old.

Ed Whitfield
The Ooh Tray
A rollicking adventure that brings back pure escapism, epic visuals, and boldly designed heroes and villains, making the return to a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away all the more satisfying.

Brian Orndorf
Blu-ray.com
A near perfect Star Wars film that regular fans and fanatics alike have been waiting for, but it suffers by slavishly sticking to the tropes from the original and doesn't strive to go off script.

Michelle Alexandria
Eclipse Magazine
It may be the youngest, but it acts like a middle child-it's the Jan Brady of Star Wars. It's at odds with franchise siblings for attention but there is a deep love for the material; there's charm to the mimicry.

Cameron Williams
The Popcorn Junkie
Even before Han and Chewie appear - and what a wonderful reveal it is - The Force Awakens is undeniably a Star Wars movie.

Jack Giroux
Bullz-Eye.com
Content merely to continue the story...It answers the question "Where are they now?" but has no new thoughts or insights regarding the stories we know.

Steven D. Greydanus
National Catholic Register
The Force Awakens is thrilling and fun, but fans of A New Hope might have more than a hint of déjà vu.

Jamie Dunn
The Skinny
John Boyega's Finn - the reformed Stormtrooper with a heart of gold - whoops in delight throughout J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Who could blame him?

Full Review… | December

Last edited by Guess Who; 12-17-2015 at 10:07 AM..
Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Full Review | Original Score: 4.5/5
Andrew L. Urban
Urban Cinefile December 17, 2015
Well, was it worth the wait and the anticipation? In my book, yes
Full Review
Louise Keller
Urban Cinefile December 17, 2015
The old and the new are seamlessly interwoven in this swashbuckling intergalactic adventure that satisfies on every level with its superb storytelling, endearing characters, splashy visual effects and a masterful score
Full Review
Eric D. Snider
EricDSnider.com December 16, 2015
A swift, entertaining, and comfortable "Star Wars" movie, one that will feel familiar to fans of the original trilogy.
Full Review | Original Score: B+
Andrea Chase
Killer Movie Reviews December 16, 2015
an action-adventure film for the ages. And, bonus, not an annoying Ewok in sight.
Full Review | Original Score: 5/5
Jim Schembri
3AW December 16, 2015
Dramatically, the film does pull some great aces from up its sleeve...The film also proves what a lot of Star Wars fans have long suspected - that the best thing that could to happen to Star Wars would be to take George Lucas out of it.
Full Review | Original Score: 3.5/5
Tom Glasson
Concrete Playground December 16, 2015
New planets and old faces, original characters and veterans to guide them - this is a franchise reborn, not reinvented.
Bill Gibron
Film Racket December 16, 2015
incredibly fresh and a whole lot of fun
Matt Neal
The Standard December 16, 2015
The prequels don't stand a chance - this is as good as fans could have hoped for and better than we deserve.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/5
CJ Johnson
ABC Radio (Australia) December 16, 2015
J.J. Abrams' homage to the first Star Wars film - the one that took our collective breath away, the one that defined our childhoods - takes "fan service" to new heights, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Leonard Maltin
Leonard Maltin's Picks December 16, 2015
'Star Wars' comes full circle... the cherished familiar interlaced with hints of more to come...
Full Review
Simon Foster
Screen-Space December 16, 2015
Just as he did so successfully with the Mission Impossible and Star Trek brands, Abram's has breathed new life into Star Wars; why it should then feel lacking in a strong pulse at times is worth pondering.
Full Review
David Nusair
Reel Film Reviews December 16, 2015
The best, most thrilling Star Wars movie to date...
Full Review | Original Score: 4/4
Erin Free
FILMINK (Australia) December 16, 2015
With its breakneck pacing; intelligent and measured reverence for the original films; punchy action sequences; and ambitious plotting, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a near perfect continuation of the most beloved movie franchise of all time.
Full Review
Leigh Paatsch
Herald Sun (Australia) December 16, 2015
The long wait is over, and the news is good: The Force Awakens heralds the new dawn you hoped for.
Scott Renshaw
Salt Lake City Weekly December 16, 2015
A good piece of adventure cinema that never feels like it had a chance of being a great piece of adventure cinema.
Full Review | Original Score: 3/4
Alison Willmore
BuzzFeed December 16, 2015
It's not just a comment on Disney's inescapable marketing barrage, but a sincerely intended complement that the fresh-faced heroes and antiheroes The Force Awakens introduces feels like future friends you've heard a lot about but are only just meeting.
Full Review
Kofi Outlaw
ScreenRant December 16, 2015
Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens is a welcome comeback for the franchise, and fan love will be enough to propel most viewers past its flaws.
Eric Eisenberg
CinemaBlend.com December 16, 2015
Unquestionably the best Star Wars movie we've seen in 30 years, and an undeniably entertaining ride - but one certainly not without a collection of narrative flaws.
Full Review | Original Score: 3.5/5
Stephen Romei
The Australian December 16, 2015
All the favourites characters pop up, and there are scenes and dialogue ripped from the past without much embellishment. That is clever and amusing at times, but falls a bit flat at others.
Full Review
Jackson Cuidon
Christianity Today December 16, 2015
I don't want you skimming paragraphs trying to find the sentence where I say it's good, so here it is. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a spectacularly good movie.
Full Review | Original Score: 4/4
Kirk Honeycutt
honeycuttshollywood.com December 16, 2015
A fast-paced, good-spirited, thoroughly approachable action movie that grabs and keeps your attention from first frame to last
Full Review | Original Score: 8
Anders Wright
San Diego Union-Tribune December 16, 2015
Though the plot is overly familiar, Abrams hits all the right beats and leaves us hungry for the next chapter.
David Frese
Kansas City Star December 16, 2015
The first thing I thought as the credits rolled was that I can't wait to see it again.
Chase Whale
ChaseWhale.com December 16, 2015
Out of this world.
Full Review
Sam C. Mac
Slant Magazine December 16, 2015
It exists less as a meaningful extension of its world than as a fan-service deployment device.
Full Review | Original Score: 2.5/4
Nicholas Barber
BBC.com December 16, 2015
When The Force Awakens gets going, you couldn't ask for a more propulsive, joyous or witty Star Wars film
Danny Minton
Houston Community Newspapers December 16, 2015
Kids and adults alike are going to eat this thing up and come back for seconds and thirds, probably in the same weekend, if they can score tickets.
Full Review | Original Score: A-
Robert Horton
HeraldNet (Everett, WA) December 16, 2015
It's a relief to see a big, splashy movie that actually maintains a sense of childlike play.
Full Review | Original Score: 3.5/4
Old 12-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Paul Byrnes
Sydney Morning Herald December 16, 2015
Make no mistake: the new film delivers. It is in no way disappointing, except in its conformity.
Gary Thompson
Philadelphia Daily News December 16, 2015
Abrams is a hyper-competent entertainer, and a fan, with an astute understanding of what made the original trilogy appealing.
Randall King
Winnipeg Free Press December 16, 2015
Even if this adventure spans the galaxy, Ford's presence tends to bring things down to earth.
Ryan Gilbey
New Statesman December 16, 2015
Abrams is also too susceptible to the solemn self-mythologising that always threatened to spoil the fun of any Star Wars film. He hasn't made a terrible picture -- just a safe one, where the farthest reaches of fantasy feel merely routine.
Full Review
Matthew Lickona
San Diego Reader December 16, 2015
What [Abrams has] done is to remake Star Wars: A New Hope; tweaking it for the passage of time; improving on the acting, the effects, and the dialogue; and tossing in some bits from its sequels.
Full Review | Original Score: 1/5

Top Critic
Bruce Kirkland
Toronto Sun December 16, 2015
We get to spend a lot of fun and/or dramatic time with Ford's Solo, while Ridley's Rey and Boyega's Finn give us a pair of dynamic new heroes to follow in future Star Wars Episodes.
Edward Douglas
The Weekend Warrior December 16, 2015
Anyone who enjoys the other movies, particularly Episodes 4 through 6, should be perfectly satisfied with the direction of the franchise.
Full Review | Original Score: 8/10
José Arce
LaButaca.net December 16, 2015
An incredible science-fiction and adventure film.
Full Review
Alejandro G. Calvo
Sensacine December 16, 2015
You feel the tragedy, your jaw will hurt from the excitement, you will be on the edge of your seat trying to guess what happens next.
Full Review

Top Critic
Stephanie Zacharek
TIME Magazine December 16, 2015
Somewhere along the way, Abrams begins delivering everything we expect, as opposed to those nebulous wonders we didn't know we wanted.
Full Review
Carlos Boyero
El Pais December 16, 2015
This mediatic circus has entertained me moderately, wishing the film would be a little shorter. What can I say? Not really my cup of tea.
Full Review
Mikel Zorrilla
Blog de cine December 16, 2015
The Force Awakens is a glorious reminder of why this is one of the most beloved sagas of all time.
Full Review
Ethan Alter
Film Journal International December 16, 2015
Strives to unite old and new generations of Star Wars fans and mostly succeeds.
Full Review
Jeffrey M. Anderson
San Francisco Examiner December 16, 2015
"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is simple and highly entertaining, a rollicking adventure that avoids anything about trade federations or blockades.

Top Critic
Steven Rea
Philadelphia Inquirer December 16, 2015
The Force Awakens is half reboot, half remake, and all fun.
Pete Hammond
Deadline Hollywood Daily December 16, 2015
J.J. Abrams and team brilliantly merge the old and the new into a Star Wars that soars on every level. Han Solo is back but it is Daisy Ridley's Rey that is the heart of The Force Awakens. She's a keeper.
Full Review | Original Score: 5/5
Scott A. Mantz
Access Hollywood December 16, 2015
From the opening crawl to the ending credits, it's the Star Wars movie we waited decades for, and it sets the stage for even bigger, better and bolder adventures to come.
Donald Clarke
Irish Times December 16, 2015
The Force Awakens works quite well considering it is lumbered with an unshakable neurosis throughout.
Chris Barsanti
PopMatters December 16, 2015
J.J. Abrams's sleek, feverishly hyped Episode Seven injects the moribund series with humor and humanity, but relies too much on remixed bits from the original trilogy.
Full Review | Original Score: 6/10
Mara Reinstein
Us Weekly December 16, 2015
Thrilling and knowing in all the right places, it's sure to satisfy fans that have breathlessly awaited its arrival for years. Unfamiliar with Jedi lore? You too will give in to the force of cinematic greatness.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
muninoel
Seasoned Veteran

NFL Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
M Schofield ;)

Looks like they borrowed a lot from the books that came out after the original trilogy...but, I won't provide any spoilers, as I have read most of those books. Two big borrows, as a matter of fact!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #11
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muninoel View Post
Looks like they borrowed a lot from the books that came out after the original trilogy...but, I won't provide any spoilers, as I have read most of those books. Two big borrows, as a matter of fact!
Yeah from the reviews it sounds like it is almost a remake of the first Star Wars.... which is cool like a total reboot but not.....
Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
Doggcow
He gimpy

But he doin alright now

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Will probably see it when it comes out on demand. Seems like an entertaining movie.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #13
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens to record $57 million on Thursday

The Force Awakens posted an estimated $57 million in Thursday evening previews, topping the previous industry record of $43.5 million set by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 in 2011. 3D is an impressive 47% of the night with IMAX posting $5.7 million from 391 screens, nearly doubling the previous record of $3 million. Domestically across all formats, the film plays in 4,134 theaters this weekend, a record for the month of December.

Lucasfilm‘s Star Wars: The Force Awakens began its international rollout on December 16 in 12 markets, followed by an additional 32 markets on December 17, opening #1 in each and bringing its two-day international total to $72.7 million and a global cume near $130 million. International highlights include:

Biggest single day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Norway and Sweden

Biggest opening day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking), Austria, Ukraine, Slovakia, Croatia, Iceland, Serbia, Chile, Peru

– Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Denmark, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkey

– Biggest December opening day in France, Italy, Mexico, Argentina, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore

– IMAX records set in UK/Ireland, Australia, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Austria, Turkey, Portugal, Qatar, UAE, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, New Zealand, Chile, Costa Rica, Trinidad

In addition to its North American debut, Star Wars: The Force Awakens adds Japan and Spain today for a day-and-date release across all territories except Greece and India, which open December 24, and China, which opens on January 9. You can view the international numbers below:

UK $14.4M
France $7.8M
Germany $7.1M
Australia $6.8M
Mexico $3.4M
Italy $3.1M
Russia $2.9M
Brazil $2.7M
Sweden $2.7M
Other territories $21.8M
Total $72.7M

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...uDt19mHzHQv.99

Last edited by Guess Who; 12-18-2015 at 11:49 AM..
Old 12-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Nemesis
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All I can say is WOW. Made me feel like I was 11 all over again. It completely blow the prequels away...
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #15
Bronco Yoda

Keep Calm and Brock On!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TailGateNut

LMAO!

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #16
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
All I can say is WOW. Made me feel like I was 11 all over again. It completely blow the prequels away...
sweet,, tomorrow night countdown....
Old 12-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #17
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
LMAO!

Jurassic was not a good movie. I cannot believe how many tickets it sold.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:19 AM   #18
ShaneFalco
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

was a good reboot to the franchise, but they made the Sith super emo.
ShaneFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #19
muninoel
Seasoned Veteran

NFL Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
M Schofield ;)

Kylo Ren took a beating by a couple of upstarts...plus he can freeze a blaster bolt in mid air but not deflect Chewie's bowcaster bolt?
Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #20
GoneFishin'
Ring of Famer

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought it was way better than the prequels. Looked and felt more like the originals. Rey has got to be Luke's daughter right? Luke will be like the older Obi-Wan. Finn is kind of like the new Hans Solo type character. Chewie hasn't aged a bit, looks great! Thought it was really good and have a good feeling about the upcoming ones.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #21
Doggcow
He gimpy

But he doin alright now

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Alright. You guys convinced me to download it. I'll watch it tonight or something lol.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
B-Large
Ring of Famer

My Lord, Schofield... My Lord

Really, really good movie. If you love the originals, you will be pleased by this product, felt like the old movies.... I think having th characters not be big movie stars really helped. I might so see it again I enjoyed it so much.
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #23
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Really, really good movie. If you love the originals, you will be pleased by this product, felt like the old movies.... I think having th characters not be big movie stars really helped. I might so see it again I enjoyed it so much.
That chick Daisy what's her name is going to be a star. I really liked her.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:52 AM   #24
Guess Who
Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Alright. You guys convinced me to download it. I'll watch it tonight or something lol.
I was looking at the DL of it and all of them were very poor quality.

I am going to go see it again this week. I did DL The Hateful Eight there are some Oscar Screenings available so the quality is excellent.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #25
Johnykbr
Ring of Famer

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Jurassic was not a good movie. I cannot believe how many tickets it sold.
It was ok, IMO...but I honestly think it was all about the nostalgia factor. Jurassic Park is one of those movies that damn near everyone you talk to can remember the theater and the experience they had. It was bound to make money hand over fist.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote