The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you know?
Yes, I knew this. 46 97.87%
No, I had no idea. Weird. 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default The real history and origin of Christmas: a pagan holiday with pagan rituals. Did you know that?

Origin of Christmas:

Quote:
Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]
And some other intersting tidbits:

Quote:
The Origins of Christmas Customs

A. The Origin of Christmas Tree
Just as early Christians recruited Roman pagans by associating Christmas with the Saturnalia, so too worshippers of the Asheira cult and its offshoots were recruited by the Church sanctioning “Christmas Trees”.[7] Pagans had long worshipped trees in the forest, or brought them into their homes and decorated them, and this observance was adopted and painted with a Christian veneer by the Church.

B. The Origin of Mistletoe
Norse mythology recounts how the god Balder was killed using a mistletoe arrow by his rival god Hoder while fighting for the female Nanna. Druid rituals use mistletoe to poison their human sacrificial victim.[8] The Christian custom of “kissing under the mistletoe” is a later synthesis of the sexual license of Saturnalia with the Druidic sacrificial cult.[9]

C. The Origin of Christmas Presents
In pre-Christian Rome, the emperors compelled their most despised citizens to bring offerings and gifts during the Saturnalia (in December) and Kalends (in January). Later, this ritual expanded to include gift-giving among the general populace. The Catholic Church gave this custom a Christian flavor by re-rooting it in the supposed gift-giving of Saint Nicholas

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vita...eRealStory.htm
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

definitely interesting stuff. It's too bad the Catholic church at the time tried to use several of the greatest events in history to appease the pagans of the day. Easter is the same way, it originally was a festival about the pagan fertility god. Christ's birth, death and resurrection can stand by themselves on their own dates corresponding to when they actually happened. There was never a need to try and cover over pagan dates.

It's also unfortunate that we've done the same things today associating Christmas more with presents and Easter more with bunnies and candy than with Jesus Christ's birth and resurrection.

Tebow would agree with me, hehe, go Broncos.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by srphoenix View Post
definitely interesting stuff. It's too bad the Catholic church at the time tried to use several of the greatest events in history to appease the pagans of the day. Easter is the same way, it originally was a festival about the pagan fertility god. Christ's birth, death and resurrection can stand by themselves on their own dates corresponding to when they actually happened. There was never a need to try and cover over pagan dates.

It's also unfortunate that we've done the same things today associating Christmas more with presents and Easter more with bunnies and candy than with Jesus Christ's birth and resurrection.

Tebow would agree with me, hehe, go Broncos.
Absolutely. Its funny how a celebration so steeped in depravity is celebrated around the world; yet the people celebrating it have no idea why they are celebrating.

I mean, should I send out Happy Saturnalia cards this December?

The world is ass-backwards.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I knew most of the myths: Christ was born in April and the Church merged the birthday with the Winter Solstice celebration. However a lot of what is written here isn't true. I'm pretty sure the modern Christmas tree came from one of the Kings of England being a German and bringing that tradition with him. And I am well aware that Germanic tribes were pagan, but they weren't fans of the Roman gods. This article reads like they've always had Christmas trees and they really haven't. In fact Roman culture is a hobby of mine and I can tell you absolutely that gift-giving was a more recent Christmas tradition. The idea that Roman culture has continued un-broken for 2000 years isn't true. There are definitely influences but, this reads like "...and we've been doing it ever since!"
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

just wait until you learn about the yule log!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Our Christian forebears also used to dance around a Maypole, worship of a big huge phallic symbol. We should not have done away with this tradition!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I knew most of the myths: Christ was born in April and the Church merged the birthday with the Winter Solstice celebration.
If Christ was born in April, why does the church continue to celebrate his birthday in December? December 25th is just a random date in Christianity, but not so for pagans.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

Last edited by bronco0608; 04-12-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Because mama church is a power whore.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Its pretty common for new religions to adapt to existing holidays and rituals and put their own twist on them. It makes it easier to gain trust and convert people. It Doesn't really change the significance behind the holidays for me.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Lies. This is all a part of the liberal war on Christmas.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Its pretty common for new religions to adapt to existing holidays and rituals and put their own twist on them. It makes it easier to gain trust and convert people. It Doesn't really change the significance behind the holidays for me.
the fact that religions feel the need to constantly convert others instead of just following their own beliefs and whoever wants to hop on can changes the significance of a lot of things. so much for just leaving people be, they have to overtake other religions and to make the "transition" easier they will celebrate holidays at the same time. does that sound very "spiritual" to anyone?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
the fact that religions feel the need to constantly convert others instead of just following their own beliefs and whoever wants to hop on can changes the significance of a lot of things. so much for just leaving people be, they have to overtake other religions and to make the "transition" easier they will celebrate holidays at the same time. does that sound very "spiritual" to anyone?
People want thier beliefs/ideals to be validated, be it religion, politics, favorite sports teams or any other opinion we have. Its human nature.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Lies. This is all a part of the liberal war on Christmas.
Really? So Christ was born in December? The Bible doesn't say that.

So how exactly is kissing a random stranger under a misletoe Christian? Where did that come from?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
If Christ was born in April, why does the church continue to celebrate his birthday in December? December 25th is just a random date in Christianity, but not so for pagans.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

Only if you are an idiot.

Romans were very religious. In adopting Christianity, roman religious practices merged to attract converts. This would include Roman holy days and celebrations. As Christianity spread beyond Rome the practice of adopting some pagan culture continued. This is not unique to Christianity, either. Islam, Judaism and Hinduism celebrate holy and feast days that predate the practice of that religion. Just how it is.

And the point of Christmas and Easter is not presents in one case or finding ridiculous eggs/oblong spheres on the other. Its about the birth and resurrection of Christ. When it is celebrated doesnt matter. The fact it is does.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Really? So Christ was born in December? The Bible doesn't say that.
So how exactly is kissing a random stranger under a misletoe Christian? Where did that come from?

Bible gives clues. But considering the nature of the calendars then (solar/lunar) you could have spring in December or snowfall in June. More than likely Christ was born in spring, but as I said, hard to be completely sure.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i ask who DIDNTknow that
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #18
Jay3

The examples in the OP were focused on Roman traditions, but Nordic traditions were also incorporated. The festival of Yule was the Germanic holiday tied to the winter solstice.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

This should end well.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

I have the utmost confidence that this is a topic that the Orange Mane is expert in.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Funny that people say see how christians did this. When in most cases it was not christians but those who tried to use the christian name to rule. Personally the only thing. Christmas has in common with the roman celebration is a date.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I knew most of the myths: Christ was born in April and the Church merged the birthday with the Winter Solstice celebration. However a lot of what is written here isn't true.
I don't know, would shepherds have their sheep out grazing in the Winter?
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
I don't know, would shepherds have their sheep out grazing in the Winter?
Probably. They are in the mediteranean. I think the grazed year round.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
Jay3

What's the big deal? The Bible doesn't say anything about having a holiday called "Christmas." Christmas is the most worldly, commercialized export of Christianity ever. It's no surprise that it came from a non-Christian cultural tradition.

And I say that as a Christian. Christmas leaves very little to be be proud of, other than the "real" meaning Christians ascribe to it. The rest of it is kind of overwhelming, commercialized, and self-centered.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote