The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas
Default Tebow vs QBs in the 2011 draft

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-2011-qb-class

The Tim Tebow debate rages on one year after he was the most dissected prospect in the 2010 NFL draft.

Last year, the Denver Broncos shocked the NFL by taking Tebow with the No. 25 overall pick. Now, it is the Broncos who are considering Tebow’s future.

The Broncos are working out or visiting with several of the top quarterback prospects in the draft. Legendary Denver quarterback and new Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway has said Denver’s interest in quarterbacks is not a smokescreen to confuse other teams. Yet, Elway also said the team’s interest in quarterbacks doesn’t mean the team is not sold on Tebow. Elway insists the Broncos simply don’t want to bypass a franchise quarterback if he’s available.

Earlier this week, ESPN’s John Clayton said he thinks Elway might take a quarterback in the second round and admit the Tebow pick -- which was made by former Denver coach Josh McDaniels -- was a mistake. With Tebow’s future perhaps unclear again, we polled several draft experts and experienced NFL scouts about what they think Denver should do and how Tebow stacks up against the better quarterback prospects of 2011.

John Elway and the Broncos may be looking for Tim Tebow's replacement already.
Tebow remains a polarizing figure. The experts are divided. Some think Tebow is a born leader. Others wouldn’t touch him because of an unrefined throwing motion.

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper still has a difficult time grading Tebow because he doesn’t think he can be a pro-style quarterback. Kiper thinks Tebow would likely be a fourth-round pick in 2011. Former NFL scout Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. thinks Tebow is the answer in Denver because he projects better to the NFL than Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, who could be the No. 1 overall pick by Carolina. Horton said it would be “ridiculous” and Denver would be “absolutely crazy” to draft Newton or Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert at No. 2 and ignore its massive defensive needs after drafting a quarterback in the first round last year.

The other quarterbacks who could be taken in the first three rounds are Washington’s Jake Locker, Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett, TCU’s Andy Dalton, Florida State’s Christian Ponder, Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick and Iowa’s Ricky Stanzi. Kiper and Scouts Inc.’s Matt Williamson and Steve Muench think most of them are better NFL quarterback prospects than Tebow.

“Tim Tebow is interesting because so many people have different opinions about him,” Muench said. “That’s what Denver is probably trying to figure out right now. In a lot of ways, I’d say there are a lot better options than Tebow, but then, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tim Tebow succeeds because of what kind of person and leader he is …. It’s not easy.”

Muench said Scouts Inc. had Tebow rated as a late second-round or an early third-round prospect last year. He was the fourth-rated quarterback on Scouts Inc.’s list behind Sam Bradford (who went to St. Louis at No. 1), Jimmy Clausen (No. 47, Carolina) and Colt McCoy (No. 85, Cleveland). Muench said this year’s quarterback class is much better than the 2010 class. Thus, he thinks Tebow would be a fourth-round prospect and be a similar prospect to Virginia Tech’s Tyrod Taylor. Some teams think Taylor is best suited for another position. Last year, Kiper (and perhaps some teams did as well) looked at Tebow as an H-back prospect. Kiper’s thoughts haven’t changed.

“I don’t think many teams would look at him in the second or third rounds,” Kiper said. “He’s not up there with Newton and Gabbert, then he’d be behind second-level guys like and Andy Dalton. Ponder is moving like crazy … I think Tebow would certainly be the fourth or fifth, sixth or seventh quarterback on teams' boards.”

Some scouts thought Tim Tebow would be better served as an H-back in the NFL.
Still, Horton would rather have Tebow than Newton, who’ll certainly be a top-12 pick.

“There are football questions about Tebow, but there’s also football questions about Newton,” Horton said. “There are no intangible questions about Tebow. But there are intangibles questions about Newton."

Horton thinks Denver should either let veteran quarterback Kyle Orton start the season and replace him with Tebow when the season goes south or go with Tebow to start the season. Horton reasons that quarterbacks emerge as top draft prospects every year and there will be plenty of options next year if Tebow fails, perhaps even Stanford gem Andrew Luck.

“If it doesn’t work with Tebow, well, then you move on, but you have to see what he can do,” Horton said. “Tebow was drafted as a developmental guy. Don’t run out of patience with him before he gets a chance to develop.”

Williamson said he never thought it was a good idea for Denver to draft Tebow and he would support Elway’s decision to pull the plug now. He thinks there are several second-round type prospects who would be better options than Tebow in Denver.

“I would certainly rather have Gabbert, Newton and Ponder over Tebow in that order. And there could be an argument made for the others,” Williamson said. “I would take Mallett for sure over [Tebow]. Tebow and Locker are similar -- big, strong guys with suspect accuracy/passing skills, but Locker is further along coming out of school than Tebow.”

However, former Carolina and St. Louis draft executive Tony Softli said he had Tebow ranked as a low second-round pick last year when he was with the Rams. He said he wouldn’t draft a quarterback this year. He believes in Tebow. Softli raved about Tebow’s leadership ability, his history as a winner and his intelligence. Softli said Tebow, Matt Ryan, Bradford and Josh Freeman were the brightest quarterback prospects he’s seen in the past 10 years when it came to working on the grease board and breaking down the game.

“I understand why Denver is looking at quarterbacks -- they’re doing their homework and that’s smart -- but I think Tebow is going to be the guy,” Softli said. “I think the Broncos should forget about his throwing motion and just let him be who he is. His intangibles are off the charts. When it’s Tebow Time, he’ll show he’s the answer.”

It’s clear. The Tebow debate is not over.
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Funny how the morons who don't like Tebow completey ignore his 3 NFL starts... hey Mel, what about those starts you idiot!
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I agree. I don't quite get why Tebow's game against the Texans was viewed as like some cute little anomoly.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I agree. I don't quite get why Tebow's game against the Texans was viewed as like some cute little anomoly.
While it was a GREAT 4th quarter performance, the Texans defense was as bad as Denver's last year overall and their passing defense was by far the worst in the league.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
While it was a GREAT 4th quarter performance, the Texans defense was as bad as Denver's last year overall and their passing defense was by far the worst in the league.
I don't give a **** if it was bad, point being was he had a lot of success against an NFL defense and put the entire team on his back. Sam Bradfords only 300 yard game was against us, but i dont see anyone mentioning that caveat. I'll say it again. if in his second start, Bradford went 16/29 for 305 and a huge 4th quarter comeback...he'd be crowned. For tebow, it was "thats nice, pat pat"
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I don't give a **** if it was bad, point being was he had a lot of success against an NFL defense and put the entire team on his back.
No need to get crazy. All I'm doing is playing Devil's Advocate. I can see both sides of this argument and don't mind presenting them.

Quote:
Sam Bradfords only 300 yard game was against us, but i dont see anyone mentioning that caveat.
Maybe not among the vocal minority, but I mentioned it a ton during the season.....so I'm with you.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
No need to get crazy. All I'm doing is playing Devil's Advocate. I can see both sides of this argument and don't mind presenting them.

Maybe not among the vocal minority, but I mentioned it a ton during the season.....so I'm with you.
I totally understand why people are skeptical of Tebow, what I dont understand is this notion that he hasn't earned a chance to prove himself. its absurd. He has shown potential playing against NFL level talent. Does he have a lot of work to do? Sure...but what NFL rookie qb doesnt? Jay Cutler had a very up and down rookie year, but it was unanimously agreed that he'd be the starter the next season.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

If tim was not capable of taking advantage of the horrible texans defense, we would have heard about it. "How great can Tebow be? He couldnt beat the Texans defense..."

No win situation. Tebow made the last three games competitive. That is what you want from any quarterback.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Kubiak strangely abandoning the run in the second half lost that game for Houston because Foster was gashing the Broncos.

I'm not real high on the 2011 QB class, so I'd be really surprised if the Broncos took a QB in the first two rounds unless one of the bigger names falls.

Letting Tebow play isn't going to hurt anything.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Let's not forget he hung up 3 TDs and 300 yards PERSONALLY against the #1 defense in the entire NFL and ALMOST had a come back win there, as well.

He also lost that game by 5 points with an interim HC, when our incumbent veteran starter with an actual HC/play caller lost by 21 earlier in the season.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

Yeah a football related thread! Kick a$$
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Let's not forget he hung up 3 TDs and 300 yards PERSONALLY against the #1 defense in the entire NFL and ALMOST had a come back win there, as well.

He also lost that game by 5 points with an interim HC, when our incumbent veteran starter with an actual HC/play caller lost by 21 earlier in the season.
Bingo. This is the game I'd be much more likely to site if I got into a debate with someone about Tebow. While the ending to the Texans game was awesome and showed his comeback ability/will to win, etc., that game as a whole wouldn't make as good a supporting argument (given the "quality" of the Texan defense and the fact that Tebow largely didn't look good most of that game).
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Let him play it out this year and if he takes to the #1-2 pick then we can get Luck and if he plays well then we have our QB it's a win win situation
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

This. He clearly outplayed Orton last season and I think he did enough to earn a shot at starting. I would take a raw Tebow over any QB in this class. This is probably the worst Qb class I have ever seen. Why waste the money on more crap even if you don't like Tebow? Shoot, I hate Orton being the starter but would take him over the guys in this class. If they really want a new QB, I hope they at least wait until next season.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:

He also was competitive against oakland until he was hamstrung by the gayest gameplan since Herm Edwards coached.

Tebow did more than enough to convince me he's worth a shot. But than again, I'm smart and unbiased. so of course I can see how well Tebow played.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

So the question really is:

Is the front office/coaching staff for the broncos just blowing a lot of smoke?

I'm not really sure, and maybe "they" aren't either (depending on when scotch is served).
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

literally no argument can be made for dumping a first round QB with a ceiling like tebows after one season. mallet over tebow? good luck with that, this team would kill for tebow, and you could see it in the game. THAT is what makes a team better, not a QB who ran almost a 5.5 in the 40 and has essentially zero leadership ability.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Anyone who would take Newton over Tebow is just a complete moron. To me Newton has the exact same tangible questions as Tebow, e.g. throwing motion, coming from spread offense, and none of the character to make up for those concerns.

In fact his character is even more of a concern. It's retarded to me that people who are Tebow haters slobber over Newton. I just don't get it at all.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

It's amazing to me that anyone would want Newton and his daddy
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

What could tebow have done to make people believe?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
In 3 games? Nothing.

In picture form:

But:

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Get pulled over with some purple drank and a few hookers.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

We need Tebow to play, the only stupid thing we can do now is to continue trying to build the offense and neglecting the defense. Right now we are not going to win anyway no matter is we score 10 or 30 points, we need to get the defense fixed to give the team a shot at winning, by then we will also know if Tebow is the man or if we need to look elsewhere.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #24
Bronco Vixen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...-2011-qb-class

“If it doesn’t work with Tebow, well, then you move on, but you have to see what he can do,” Horton said. “Tebow was drafted as a developmental guy. Don’t run out of patience with him before he gets a chance to develop.”
This is exactly my feeling and why this is so frustrating to me. Particularly when we're so focused on a less than stellar QB class. I have no doubt in my mind that Elway has zero confidence in Timmy and has zero interest in helping him to develop. It's just not smart though. Take this year, give him a chance, and if it doesn't work out, THEN go courting Mr. perfect pants Luck.
Bronco Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I think Tebow deserves a shot. If he doesn't do it in one year, look towards next year. The only other option for QB for me in this draft is Christian Ponder, if he falls or we get enough ammo in a trade back to be all right with moving up for him.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote