The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,528

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default Fix the national deficit

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?ref=politics

Fix the national deficit.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

a. expanding the military is costing hundreds of billions of dollars
b. super rich dont need more tax breaks
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

tax the rich. done.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
tax the rich. done.
Vague, nebulous, and ineffective attempt at social engineering...perfect for a government operation.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,445

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Vague, nebulous, and ineffective attempt at social engineering...perfect for a government operation.
not vague at all.


TAX. THE. RICH.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Vague, nebulous, and ineffective attempt at social engineering...perfect for a government operation.
so the bottom 99% should have to suffer trying to compensate for a deficit taht was put in place essentially when they STOPPED taxing the super rich? how can someone argue that not taxing them more than those of us who barely survive is a bad idea? in a time when the super rich are just pocketing more money instead of creating jobs with it, you can really justify not taxing them more, rather they should get MORE money than they already have?
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Its actually not that difficult. If you let the bush tax cuts expire, implemented the ACA (with excise tax) and cap both defense and non defense discretionary, you should technically be there...but well, i suppose thats easier said than done
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
not vague at all.


TAX. THE. RICH.

Define 'RICH'. Define 'TAX'. Define 'THE'

Sincerely,

Bill Clinton
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
so the bottom 99% should have to suffer trying to compensate for a deficit taht was put in place essentially when they STOPPED taxing the super rich? how can someone argue that not taxing them more than those of us who barely survive is a bad idea? in a time when the super rich are just pocketing more money instead of creating jobs with it, you can really justify not taxing them more, rather they should get MORE money than they already have?
its the great paradox of american society. We have stockholm syndrome towards the rich for some reason.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

I found it easy as well.

Tackle entitlements, size of government, defense spending, and keep taxes low for everyone. Return government to its originally delegated responsibilities and you can get there.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,577

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
its the great paradox of american society. We have stockholm syndrome towards the rich for some reason.
you're thinking with your cosmic justice gene.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
I found it easy as well.

Tackle entitlements, size of government, defense spending, and keep taxes low for everyone. Return government to its originally delegated responsibilities and you can get there.
1803 was a fine year.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
tax the rich. done.
Taxing "the rich" at 100 percent still wouldn't begin to tackle the problem. Until we seriously tackle defense spending health spending (medicare, medicaid, VA, CHiP, and Obamacare) it matters little. It's not the money coming in that's the problem; ITS THE SPENDING.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
1803 was a fine year.
Not financially: See the LA Purchase.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
so the bottom 99% should have to suffer trying to compensate for a deficit taht was put in place essentially when they STOPPED taxing the super rich? how can someone argue that not taxing them more than those of us who barely survive is a bad idea? in a time when the super rich are just pocketing more money instead of creating jobs with it, you can really justify not taxing them more, rather they should get MORE money than they already have?
This country has always ran at a deficit except for one time when Jackson let the Second National Bank charter expire and paid off the national debt. He is the only President to ever do so.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Its actually not that difficult. If you let the bush tax cuts expire, implemented the ACA (with excise tax) and cap both defense and non defense discretionary, you should technically be there...but well, i suppose thats easier said than done
If the Bush tax cuts expire then the tax burden on every American go up. George Bush is the only modern era President to lower taxes for 100 percent of the tax paying public. The answer here isn't to raise taxes but to remove ALL deductions and loop holes and make every Citizen, non-charity, and Business pay 10 percent. Strip the tax code clean and cut the IRS to nothing in the process.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
a. expanding the military is costing hundreds of billions of dollars
b. super rich dont need more tax breaks

Congress has a responsibility to create and fund an army and a navy. They do not need to fund entitlement programs, which cost more per year than anything military related.

Everyone needs a tax break. Lowering taxes for everybody wont kill anything. In fact, you lower taxes on businesses, they grow...which hires more people.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,090

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Congress has a responsibility to create and fund an army and a navy. They do not need to fund entitlement programs, which cost more per year than anything military related.
This is a fact; although defense spending is right up there with total health and human services spending.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,608

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Congress has a responsibility to create and fund an army and a navy.
I have yet to hear even the most liberal in this country declare that we should not create and fund an army and a navy.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,071

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

It is hillarious to think that the super rich will hold still while you take all of there money.

You can shear a sheep many times you can skin them only once.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I have yet to hear even the most liberal in this country declare that we should not create and fund an army and a navy.

This is a joke, right?



Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
If the Bush tax cuts expire then the tax burden on every American go up. George Bush is the only modern era President to lower taxes for 100 percent of the tax paying public. The answer here isn't to raise taxes but to remove ALL deductions and loop holes and make every Citizen, non-charity, and Business pay 10 percent. Strip the tax code clean and cut the IRS to nothing in the process.
I agree that the tax code needs to be redone, but if you let the bush tax cuts expire for the just the top percent (which is what the plan was), it'll create some revenue without touching the middle class tax rate (which is essentially what the ryan budget would do...though i think that budget was really just made for confrontation rather than implementation).
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
It is hillarious to think that the super rich will hold still while you take all of there money.

You can shear a sheep many times you can skin them only once.
yea thats a good argument. thats it everyone, lets just cut their taxes to zero, or they might leave!
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,231
Default

Because rich people don't pay taxes...

People are so dumb
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Because rich people don't pay taxes...

People are so dumb
Theres that too Well corporations dont at least.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Denver Broncos