The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default Mock from Baldinger NFL.Com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/mock-d...?module=HP_cp2

#
Pick No.
CAR
Patrick Peterson
DB
LSU

The Panthers have a long history of sticking with pedestrian quarterbacks like Kerry Collins, Steve Beuerlein and Jake Delhomme. They stand pat again with last year's second-round pick, Jimmy Clausen, and begin the rebuilding process with the draft's best player.
#
Pick No.
DEN
Marcell Dareus
DE
Alabama

All coach John Fox needs to investigate this special player is to call his former defensive line coach in Carolina, Sal Sunseri, who is currently a position coach at Alabama and was around Dareus for two years. Dareus passes every test and anchors the new four-man defensive line that will also feature the return of a healthy Elvis Dumervil.
#
Pick No.
BUF
Blaine Gabbert
QB
Missouri

Chan Gailey has worked with many big-time quarterbacks, including Troy Aikman. While Ryan Fitzpatrick is suitable in Gailey's offense, the Bills need to chase away the ghosts of Jim Kelly that have haunted the organization since the day he departed. Gabbert should finally begin that process.
#
Pick No.
CIN
Cam Newton
QB
Auburn

Mike Brown takes Carson Palmer's threat of retirement seriously and reacts by taking the talented Newton. Carson's brother, Jordan, is the only other QB on the roster to have thrown an NFL pass. Newton should create a buzz with the fan base and within the locker room.
#
Pick No.
ARI
Von Miller
LB
Texas A&M

The Cardinals' defense needs an improved pass rush, fresh legs and renewed energy. Starting OLBs Joey Porter and Clark Haggans combined for a total of 10 sacks last season. Miller brings a healthy resume and should immediately upgrade the defensive side of the ball.

Hoping it doesn't turn out this way, but Dareus would still be nice for Denver.

My biggest "wtf?"s while reading this:

1. Pouncey being drafted before Tyron Smith and Castonzo. No chance in hell, imo.

2. Phil Taylor at 18 is F'ing absurd, imo

3. Bowers falling to 16!

4. MAYYYYYYYBE Houston sneaks into the first round, but to get taken at 21? That's almost as big a wtf as Alaulu last year.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

every indication from essentially everyone, including schefter who called last years first round pick in february, is newton is #1 this year. no way cam falls to 4.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
every indication from essentially everyone, including schefter who called last years first round pick in february, is newton is #1 this year. no way cam falls to 4.
There's lots of ways he can "fall" to AT LEAST 4, actually.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
There's lots of ways he can "fall" to AT LEAST 4, actually.
just saying, based on every report thats been available for a few weeks, its like saying sam bradford last year could fall to 4 too. sure he COULD, but he was never going to. i would bet (though not as definitely as last year) that its the same with newton.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
just saying, based on every report thats been available for a few weeks, its like saying sam bradford last year could fall to 4 too. sure he COULD, but he was never going to. i would bet (though not as definitely as last year) that its the same with newton.
Sam Bradford's only issue last year was potential durability questions.

Cam Newton has 10000 questions on his character and personality alone, let alone his passing/making reads ability. He's super athletic and has TONS of talent and could very well DESERVE #1 overall, but your comparison is completely ridiculous.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Sam Bradford's only issue last year was potential durability questions.

Cam Newton has 10000 questions on his character and personality alone, let alone his passing/making reads ability. He's super athletic and has TONS of talent and could very well DESERVE #1 overall, but your comparison is completely ridiculous.
my comparison is based on media response and how a lot of times, the smoke fire thing comes into play, not the player himself. clearly sam was a far superior player and by most accounts his pro day was one of the best evaluators had seen in a long time (brandt said best since aikman i believe). but schefter et al began predicting him to rams in february, just like he is predicting newton to panthers, along with a lot of other people. its not gauranteed that he is the one, but at the end of the day its far more likely than not at this point.

peterson may be the best player in the draft relative to his position, but its hard to justify taking a corner with top 3 picks as they dont come around often.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

I've seen a bunch of mocks that have Taylor to the Chiefs at #21. I don't think it's that much of stretch that he's a mid first rounder for a NT hungry 3-4 team.

And I can see Bowers easily slipping to 16 (or farther).

Interesting to see Austin make the first round. Liuget to the Bears has been a popular slot. The majority of mocks I've seen have him going to the Rams, Saints or Bears. Let's hope, the Rams think he's a reach at 14, the Saints look elsewhere & there is still a top tier OL on the board for the Bears.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
but schefter et al began predicting him to rams in february, just like he is predicting newton to panthers,
You'd be better off going with someone who was completely wrong last year. Nobody in the media is right more than half the time with these things, so if you go with someone who was wrong last year, you have a better shot at guessing correctly this year.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
my comparison is based on media response and how a lot of times, the smoke fire thing comes into play, not the player himself. clearly sam was a far superior player and by most accounts his pro day was one of the best evaluators had seen in a long time (brandt said best since aikman i believe). but schefter et al began predicting him to rams in february, just like he is predicting newton to panthers, along with a lot of other people. its not gauranteed that he is the one, but at the end of the day its far more likely than not at this point.
I'm certain Schefter has his sources and as usual they're good (though, how hard is it to lock down Bradford at #1 in February when he was the ONLY top tier QB in the draft?). That's not the discussion. The discussion is you saying, "No way cam falls to #4", when there are MANY ways he could fall to 4.

1. What if Carolina just likes Gabbert better?
2. How many teams have taken Newton off their board entirely for being a head case?
3. etc

Quote:
peterson may be the best player in the draft relative to his position, but its hard to justify taking a corner with top 3 picks as they dont come around often.
That has what to do with Cam Newton?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
3. Bowers falling to 16!

Da'Quan Bowers may need microfracture surgery

In a Wednesday conference call, Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki told reporters that people in the NFL are concerned Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers may need microfracture knee surgery.

Nawrocki says all of the medical red flags could push Bowers into the back half of round one. We'd heard the microfracture rumors before, but there wasn't anything substantial enough to run with them. Nawrocki insists there are. Bowers will be in Indianapolis Friday for a medical recheck. At that point, doctors will determine whether he needs a surgical procedure that would almost certainly cost him the entire 2011 season.

Apr 6, 1:58 PM
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
You'd be better off going with someone who was completely wrong last year. Nobody in the media is right more than half the time with these things, so if you go with someone who was wrong last year, you have a better shot at guessing correctly this year.
true, but just worth noting what the best media guy said about it. a scout privately said that if newton was white, he would be the sure fire #1 pick with no real question. take that for what its worth, if anything.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
a scout privately said that if newton was white, he would be the sure fire #1 pick with no real question.
Warren Moon is a scout now?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I'm thinking more and more that we're trading down.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
*Warren Moon isn’t the only person who thinks race may be a factor in the way the NFL world is perceiving Cam Newton. A high ranking NFL executive, who is white, came to the same conclusion before Moon made his comments. “If Newton were white, he’d be the first pick in the draft,” he said.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-1492.html
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

I think bowers falls far. 3rd round far.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

If newton were white, he'd be a poor man's Tebow.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

If newton was an indian.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
I think bowers falls far. 3rd round far.
MLive.com's Tom Kowalski believes the Lions would "absolutely" strongly consider Da'Quan Bowers if he fell to No. 13 in the draft.
"He's a top-five talent and I think he'd be worth the risk," writes Kowalski. Bowers' chances of going in the teens may depend solely on his Friday medical check in Indianapolis. In Detroit, he would play left defensive end across from Kyle Vanden Bosch, allowing Cliff Avril to fill a nickel rusher role.

per roto, and kowalski is generally regarded as one of the best beat writers in the business.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Hope your right but if this mock draft is right is does make our pick a little easier without Peterson on the board but I think you are right.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
^ This

It's been a long time since being black held anyone down as a player in the NFL. If anything, the shoe is very much on the other foot these days.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by OABB View Post
This is Tebow all over again with only one exception....no throwing motion BS to b**** about. Other than that they are both risks...........
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
MLive.com's Tom Kowalski believes the Lions would "absolutely" strongly consider Da'Quan Bowers if he fell to No. 13 in the draft.
"He's a top-five talent and I think he'd be worth the risk," writes Kowalski. Bowers' chances of going in the teens may depend solely on his Friday medical check in Indianapolis. In Detroit, he would play left defensive end across from Kyle Vanden Bosch, allowing Cliff Avril to fill a nickel rusher role.

per roto, and kowalski is generally regarded as one of the best beat writers in the business.
An injured player is too much of a risk in the first round, IMO, something McD should have heeded before making his first pick last year.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Hey CBF1, you're up in the mock draft!
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #24
DrFate
Lord of Order

The sudden emergence of Newton is kind of perplexing to me. Pre-season he was nowhere as a top draft pick. He got kicked out of one school, played a year at Whatsamatta U, then had a flash-in-the-pan year at Auburn.

His draft rise reminds me of Akili Smith (except Smith didn't have a rap sheet that I remember). One good year and everyone falls in love with the arm/leg combination.

That said - I hope Carolina does take him. That moves Denver to #1 overall.

DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Gosselin was on NFL Draft Countdown's podcast the other night and I absolutely agree with him: How in the **** does a QB who has thrown less than 300 collegiate passes go #1 overall?

It just doesn't make sense, and Gabbert going that high doesn't either. I don't see what makes him so much more special than other Missouri QB's who put up awesome numbers. I honest to God, outside FSU homerism, think Ponder is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. He is actually my top rated QB.

FWIW, I hated the Tebow pick last year (hence me getting an 18 pack right after) and though he impressed me in his limited starts, I would not be opposed to getting Ponder as long as we were able to trade back and get some ammo -- or if he fell to #36. I think he is the right QB for the future and think he'd be a good fit for our offensive system. I think Elway likes him a lot too.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote