The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Default Broncos may have no choice but to go with Tebow

Like, Duh-

With fans smitten by quarterback Tim Tebow, will the team be able to give the ball to anyone else when the 2011 season begins?

And will the team resist that for which the fans will be clamoring?

“Everybody knows [V.P. of football operations John] Elway ranks as the greatest sports superhero ever to don a cape in a local locker room, but right now the Broncos executive seems to be straining awfully hard not to get bullied by the public’s insatiable appetite for all things Tebow,” Kiszla writes. “Interviewing every quarterback with a pulse as part of draft preparation seems like a hollow exercise in showing who’s the boss.”

Though Kiszla seems to ping-pong regarding the question of whether Tebow deserves the job, Kiszla believes that the fact so many fans want Tebow to have the job could be a problem — regardless of how it all turns out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ebow/#comments

Hope this isn't a Repost-
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

it's kizla... just ignore the article...he's such a hack.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

It really wouldn't be fair to draft a QB high at this point. It's hard enough to develop into a quality NFL QB, but the guy would instantly be the most unpopular guy in town. Elway has to give Tebow at least the next season to sink or swin. If he sucks, fans will be open to take a guy early in the draft next season.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
CEH
Ring of Famer

Fox has stated they'd like 4 starters out of the first 4 picks.
If they select a QB then I gotta believe they think he can beat out Timmy
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
it's kizla... just ignore the article...he's such a hack.
The problem is he is one of several that are reporting this... this is more than just smoke.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
It really wouldn't be fair to draft a QB high at this point. It's hard enough to develop into a quality NFL QB, but the guy would instantly be the most unpopular guy in town. Elway has to give Tebow at least the next season to sink or swin. If he sucks, fans will be open to take a guy early in the draft next season.
This!

As usual Inferno sees the bigger picture and the greater force at work concerning the issue. Only way we draft a QB is if we trade Orton and Tebow starts for sure in that scenario.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Fox has stated they'd like 4 starters out of the first 4 picks.
If they select a QB then I gotta believe they think he can beat out Timmy
Aside from Gabbart, is there one QB in the draft better than Orton? I seriously doubt it. Unless the Broncos trade Orton, he's the starting QB and if Fox thinks Kapernick is better than Orton, then I'm calling BS.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Tebow needs to be given a chance to win the job or lose it by his own performance or lack-thereof.

I believe he will be fine once he gets the chance to play.
This BS has been following Tebow for a while now.
He didn't do anything in the games he played last year that may indicate the critics were right.

Tebow is going to be a winner in this league. We need defense not another freakin' QB.
Let's give Tebow his chance, unless no matter what, Elway will be getting Luck next year and don't want Tebow to be our QB regardless of his performance, I don't know, it just doesn't make sense...

Tebow may not be Elway's type of QB, but that doesn't mean Tebow can't play.
That has not been proven yet...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Last time I checked, Orton is the starting QB for the Broncos. Until Orton is traded, this "drafting a QB" talk reflects more on Orton's ability than Tebows.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Last time I checked, Orton is the starting QB for the Broncos. Until Orton is traded, this "drafting a QB" talk reflects more on Orton's ability than Tebows.
Not really because a rookie will not be ready to start.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Not really because a rookie will not be ready to start.
exactly
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #12
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
This!

As usual Inferno sees the bigger picture and the greater force at work concerning the issue. Only way we draft a QB is if we trade Orton and Tebow starts for sure in that scenario.
I hope that's the way Elway sees it, but I'm worried. With all his rhetoric about transparency, I'm not sold that all this interest in QBs is a Shannyesque smoke-screen. I will lose a lot of confidence in John if he picks a QB in the top 2 rounds. Unless the guy drafted previously is a clear lost cause, it is simply unjustifiable to sink the costs of two high picks into a QB in back-to-back years. While I'm not 100% sold on Tebow, he certainly showed enough promise to give him a longer look before sinking further high costs into the position.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 04-04-2011 at 09:09 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Where Shanahan and Mcdaniels went wrong was focusing all their attention on the offense and thinking they could fix the defense later, that approach led to both getting axed and no playoff appearances in the last 5 seasons.

We have to break the cycle, focus on the defense, fix the fundamentals first and then build on skill.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
Like, Duh-

With fans smitten by quarterback Tim Tebow, will the team be able to give the ball to anyone else when the 2011 season begins?

And will the team resist that for which the fans will be clamoring?

“Everybody knows [V.P. of football operations John] Elway ranks as the greatest sports superhero ever to don a cape in a local locker room, but right now the Broncos executive seems to be straining awfully hard not to get bullied by the public’s insatiable appetite for all things Tebow,” Kiszla writes. “Interviewing every quarterback with a pulse as part of draft preparation seems like a hollow exercise in showing who’s the boss.”

Though Kiszla seems to ping-pong regarding the question of whether Tebow deserves the job, Kiszla believes that the fact so many fans want Tebow to have the job could be a problem — regardless of how it all turns out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ebow/#comments

Hope this isn't a Repost-
The interviews also may be designed to worry teams that we just might select a QB. The more teams worried we might select their guy, the better chance we have of trading down.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Eh, who really knows what's going on with the BBT. They have plenty of time and budget to go wherever they damn well please, scout whomever they please. Xanders and Fox don't have a damn thing to do but scout talent, Elway has a steakhouse to run, nobody is scouting FA talent, because there is no FA. There is no minicamps.

The BBT is probably trying to fill their time, they don't have jack**** to do right now, except jet around and fill in their expense reports.

They have the #2 pick so they can diddle around however much they want and will still have the #2 pick. And two 2nd-rounders.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

it's not that bad of an article:

mark kiszla
Kiszla: Tebow on a streak as salesman, not QB
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 04/03/2011 03:49:27 PM MDT

As Tim Tebow, naked to the waist, parades across our TV screens in a new underwear commercial, he gives a more compelling portrayal as a sexy salesman than an NFL quarterback on the rise.

The Broncos' 23-year-old virgin can do no wrong.

But is he the best quarterback for the job in Denver?

Even if you, me and John Elway think the answer is no, can the Broncos keep Tebow out of the lineup?

In sports, where we cling to the naive belief that the best man should win, the competition for Denver's starting quarterback has turned into a political game, with everybody from the Broncos' website to Jockey advertising executives backing Tebow in a marketing campaign.

Sorry, Kyle Orton. The 20 touchdown passes you tossed last season don't count for much. In the hearts of Broncomaniacs, you're losing to Tebow by a landslide.

Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with a deeply religious, chaste NFL quarterback flashing a little skin on TV. If you've got the pecs, flaunt 'em,

Of course, I never understood why the United States Golf Association threw a puritanical fit a few years ago, when Natalie Gulbis released a calendar featuring her wearing a bikini and a smile.

But we all know there is a rigid double standard regarding sex in America. Tebow can exploit his hunkiness for fun and profit, then casually deflect any criticism by suggesting everybody wears underwear. When Gulbis gains fame and fortune from her cleavage, however, we're supposed to believe she demeans the game of golf and women in general?

Whatever Tebow is selling, Broncomaniacs want two for themselves, three for their kids and a spare in the garage.

Shop the team's official website for a predominantly orange jersey, and it's the No. 15 of Tebow rather than the No. 24 of cornerback Champ Bailey and his 10 Pro Bowl appearances that the Broncos display in the front window. The never-before-told story of Tebow's life will soon be available in bookstores everywhere, because he couldn't wait until his 24th birthday to release a memoir. While the league will shut down for business after the draft to hammer out labor peace, the Tebow money machine never sleeps.

Would it be sacrilege to ask: Isn't this a little bit too much fuss for a quarterback with one NFL victory on his resume?

Tebow is so earnest he's easy to tease. But he's also impossible not to like. Florida did not adequately prepare him for the pros. His 11 touchdowns as an NFL rookie, however, were ample reason to believe he is a project worth developing.

A Denver franchise that has lost its credibility as a Super Bowl contender, however, would be ill-advised to turn its quarterback competition into a beauty contest.

When new Broncos coach John Fox insists Orton will get the first shot to lead this team, more than 8 million eyes roll like marbles throughout Colorado.

Everybody knows Elway ranks as the greatest sports superhero ever to don a cape in a local locker room, but right now the Broncos executive seems to be straining awfully hard not to get bullied by the public's insatiable appetite for all things Tebow. Interviewing every quarterback with a pulse as part of draft preparation seems like a hollow exercise in showing who's the boss.

So this is the key football and business question for the Broncos in 2011: Is the team more interested in winning games or pushing a Tebow product?

Maybe the groundswell of support for Tebow is the direct result of a 4-12 football team whose fans are grasping for any reason to believe.

But tell me this isn't true:Tebowmania is threatening to grow bigger than Broncomania.

Whether you like Tebow or not, that's a problem.

Read more: Kiszla: Tebow on a streak as salesman, not QB - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz1IZjp5sS1
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

But tell me this isn't true:Tebowmania is threatening to grow bigger than Broncomania.

IMO, the Elway Effect eclipsed broncomania years ago.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I hope that's the way Elway sees it, but I'm worried. With all his rhetoric about transparency, I'm not sold that all this interest in QBs is a Shannyesque smoke-screen. I will lose a lot of confidence in John if he picks a QB in the top 2 rounds. Unless the guy drafted previously is a clear lost cause, it is simply unjustifiable to sink the costs of two high picks into a QB in back-to-back years. While I'm not 100% sold on Tebow, he certainly showed enough promise to give him a longer look before sinking further high costs into the position.
agreed. the way i am looking at it is like this. drafting a QB right now is a waste of a pick and really destroys the confidence of that rookie QB before he even sets foot on the playing field because he becomes the most hated player in Denver for replacing the Golden Boy. Short of the rookie coming in and leading Denver on a season like Rothlesbergers rookie year(granted he played game manager but they won) they will be looking for a replacement within 3 years.

Tebow while he isn't polished showed there is something there in his first 3 starts. he earned the shot for at least 1 season to show he can do something.

now with Tebow starting things are going to be boom or bust. i don't think there is a middle ground with the guy. he will either completely fall on his face and prove his doubters correct or he is going to become a superstar QB.

with that in mind, if he fails , that means the team has had yet another horrible season and we are in position to potentially get Andrew Luck in the draft next year. with that in mind, why waste a pick on a QB in this very weak and questionable class?

or

Tebow is a success and proves all his doubters wrong and we have our QBOTF

that is the only plausible scenario that i think can work for this team. either way Tebow needs to start. if he sucks, then you have that argument for the Tebow maniacs as to why you are getting a replacement for him, and if he is good you have your team's QB.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Xanders......don't have a damn thing to do but scout talent
Those pizzas aren't gonna order themselves.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I have two reasons for not wanting a QB this year. We have a much bigger need on defense which would leave us a QB in probably the 6th round and there isn't a QB worth taking this year. Tebow has not cemented himself in my heart or beliefs that he will make the turn around necessary to be the future but I do love his attitude and work ethic so am willing to give him a chance.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIZLA View Post

Whether you like Tebow or not, that's a problem.
that is the most retarded statement. Elwaymaniia was bigger than Broncomania. Manningmania in Indy is bigger than Coltsmania, Bradymanis is bigger than Patriotsmania in New England.

it isn't a bad thing when the star of the franchise popularity eclipses the organizations popularity. so long as Tebow can show improvement in his game and show that he can get the job done, then the faith and love of the guy is perfectly fine.

the fact that it is premature is a little strange, but it isn't a bad thing.

same thing happened with Cutler here, we got a guy with the big arm and all the physical tools you'd ever want in a QB and Cutlermania ran rampant.

this is a QB town and when there is an exciting player at the position it is going to cause some hysteria.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #22
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Elway and Fox aren't stupid. They know last year was the worst broncos season since 1967. 1982 might have been equally disappointing, but the team had Elway and there was upside. Kizla's just doing is usual spinning. If Den doesn't at least sniff .500 next year, it's going to be unpleasant to put it mildly. Fans have to get a sense that Bowlen's getting back to putting a product worth buying on the field. Elway and Fox have said more than once that the job's open, and the best qb will play. No duh. They'll play the guy who gives them the best chance to win.

By week 12 of 2010 players were going through the motions. Without Tebow they may well have lost out. Tebow injected a bit of fire. But whenever play resumes, it's not going to be with a team that's become dispirited with a coach who was woefully incompetent, arrogant and made the franchise a league joke. I don't like Orton as a qb and never have, but give him a running game and a defense that can at least slow down an opponents running game, and he's middle of the pack. If Tebow can't beat that out, he's a bust and maybe he can play fullback.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #23
teknic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I have two reasons for not wanting a QB this year. We have a much bigger need on defense which would leave us a QB in probably the 6th round and there isn't a QB worth taking this year. Tebow has not cemented himself in my heart or beliefs that he will make the turn around necessary to be the future but I do love his attitude and work ethic so am willing to give him a chance.
How about Mitch Mustain? He was the highest ranked quarterback prospect in the country when he came out of high school, and he looked good in Arkansas before he was lost to USC's quarterback depth.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

This is an epically poor QB class. It would be absurd to take spend any pick on a QB.

Give Tebow the ball. If he bombs and we go 2-14, we get Luck next year.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This is an epically poor QB class. It would be absurd to take spend any pick on a QB.

Give Tebow the ball. If he bombs and we go 2-14, we get Luck next year.
along with a reason why he is being replaced that will shut up the mob of Tebow enthusiasts