The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Comupter take over, its not just movies any more,it's here.

I have seen movies on it but I thought that it would be many decades before it happened but here it is. WOW ! I don't know about this at all. I mean I understand what they are talking about is a fantastic Idea but this could go so wrong .





:

Last edited by Quoydogs; 03-30-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,571

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

They gonna turn this into a movie?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They gonna turn this into a movie?
Just watched a movie called surrogates, was a bad movie but it is exactly what they are talking about.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They gonna turn this into a movie?
it would be the kind of movie that one person likes but is generally hated
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
worm
Great moments are born...
 
worm's Avatar
 
...from great opportunity

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
it would be the kind of movie that one person likes but is generally hated
Or universally loved that you hated.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
 
RhymesayersDU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!
Posts: 14,992

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default

Skynet has become self-aware.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Joke if you want but this is some scary stuff. You just should not screw with mother nature she's a real b****.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I have seen movies on it but I thought that it would be many decades before it happened but here it is. WOW ! I don't know about this at all. I mean I understand what they are talking about is a fantastic Idea but this could go so wrong .





:
Google Ray Kurzweil
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Google Ray Kurzweil
It's dudes like him that are going to ruin the earth. They think its cool and all until it goes to far and then there is no backing out.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
It's dudes like him that are going to ruin the earth. They think its cool and all until it goes to far and then there is no backing out.
Nope, it is people trying to make $ off things which could go either way morally. People would love to do the surrogate thing if they could, is it right? no but would people buy into it in order to stay home and get loaded and watch daytime tv the rest of their lives? YES.

Having chronic nerve damage myself I am glad that scientists are out there studying the brain and finding ways to help us disabled people get our lives back.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

One other point I would like to make to those like TGN who think the Space race and NASA are worthless money pits: Nicoleis said near the end of the interview that the Apollo program was what inspired him to become a scientist. I love how he said that he essentially became a scientist at an early age (6-9?) watching the space race.

We need more "moon shots" to continue to inspire young people.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Nope, it is people trying to make $ off things which could go either way morally. People would love to do the surrogate thing if they could, is it right? no but would people buy into it in order to stay home and get loaded and watch daytime tv the rest of their lives? YES.

Having chronic nerve damage myself I am glad that scientists are out there studying the brain and finding ways to help us disabled people get our lives back.
Like I said before, what he designed it for is a fantastic idea. What it will be used for is scary.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Brain research is farther along than Joe Schmoe realizes.

Just wait to see what happens over the next 20 years.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Brain research is farther along than Joe Schmoe realizes.

Just wait to see what happens over the next 20 years.
20 years ? Did you watch that video ?
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
20 years ? Did you watch that video ?
Yes, 20 years.

It will be a different world.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Yes, 20 years.

It will be a different world.
I'm thinking more like 5 years.

Just think what happens when you combine this with cloning.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #17
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Like I said before, what he designed it for is a fantastic idea. What it will be used for is scary.
I can see that side of the coin, during the last series of Nova they had a show on the brain and they have a magnet based device that they are using to "reset" people with severe depression and Bipolar issues. Thing was it also affected speach while in use and had some other involentary movements which I can't remember off the top of my head. It looked like a huge Key from some 1930's horror movie. That kind of thing scares me more than a mobility cage.

Last edited by broncosteven; 03-30-2011 at 11:50 AM..
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Brain research is farther along than Joe Schmoe realizes.

Just wait to see what happens over the next 20 years.
On somethings but they are still a long way off from understanding nerves and pain. Closer? Yes but not quite there. Time had an issue on pain on 3/7/2011, they are close to finding a gene that can bind(?) with the body's natural occuring opoid to increase the effect and cut down pain but it could make Crack or Meth look like candy so there are a whole new can of worms being opened with each new discovery.

I do prefer the can of worms over no advancements though, you guys sound young and realitively healthy but you will want the advancements when your old or hurt in an accident caused by no fault of your own, hell even if you got hurt playing jackass in the back yard!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

I wouldn't say I'm young ( 35) but It's just not a good Idea to be messing with mother nature. Cloning scares the hell out of me and this well this is just well it could go very very wrong.

The biggest thing is this is not a what if anymore they have done it.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,694

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I wouldn't say I'm young ( 35) but It's just not a good Idea to be messing with mother nature. Cloning scares the hell out of me and this well this is just well it could go very very wrong.

The biggest thing is this is not a what if anymore they have done it.
I agree that outright cloning a full human is wrong but cloning an organ or nerve would be great.

I saw a story somewhere (here?) about someone printing a 3D organ on stage at some science conference recently. It would be nice to be able to swap out a bad heart or liver etc that wouldn't be rejected by the body.

How far are we from those types of transplants becoming a daily occurance? Dunno.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I'm thinking more like 5 years.

Just think what happens when you combine this with cloning.
Cloning is further off, but what you'll be able to expect is to submit a swab from your mouth and get back a replacement organ or limb.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I've wondered why it took so long to get the avatar concept going. I thought we'd be working on fighting wars by proxy already.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 36,819

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
On somethings but they are still a long way off from understanding nerves and pain. Closer? Yes but not quite there. Time had an issue on pain on 3/7/2011, they are close to finding a gene that can bind(?) with the body's natural occuring opoid to increase the effect and cut down pain but it could make Crack or Meth look like candy so there are a whole new can of worms being opened with each new discovery.

I do prefer the can of worms over no advancements though, you guys sound young and realitively healthy but you will want the advancements when your old or hurt in an accident caused by no fault of your own, hell even if you got hurt playing jackass in the back yard!
We understand nerves and pain quite a bit. What we dont understand is how to repair or regenerate neurons. There's some work that suggests that stem cell research could be an answer, that is if you can get over the whole "we harvest stem cells from dead kids like a farmer harvests corn" thing and start the process of utilizing geneticallly specific strains of stem cells, removing their DNA, and replacing it with that of a patient. Thats alot trickier than it sounds.

Your nervous system automatically develops new pathways, but if a critical set of neurons is damaged, you cant bridge that gap anymore. Hence no cures for Parkinsons, Huntingtons, mechanical CNS injury, peripheral neuropathy, etc.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I agree that outright cloning a full human is wrong but cloning an organ or nerve would be great.

I saw a story somewhere (here?) about someone printing a 3D organ on stage at some science conference recently. It would be nice to be able to swap out a bad heart or liver etc that wouldn't be rejected by the body.

How far are we from those types of transplants becoming a daily occurance? Dunno.
One of the things I fear most in the world is the pursuit of eternal life. I truly think being able to clone organs will lead to being able to clone damn-near anything and when people don't die, I fear for how the world will turn out.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,105

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
One of the things I fear most in the world is the pursuit of eternal life. I truly think being able to clone organs will lead to being able to clone damn-near anything and when people don't die, I fear for how the world will turn out.
Nah, your somatic cells die off with time. There are many other ways of dying than organ failure and there is still the matter of surgery, even if you can make a new heart doesn't mean you can insert it trouble free.

If you are worried about eternal life being a problem you want to look critically at work done in telomer research and DNA regeneration, these are the people who are really messing with life extension on a serious scale. There are people who have managed to make mice with progessed senescence recover to youthful states including improved organ function, circulation, eye sight and hair growth.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 AM.


Denver Broncos