The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Dragon Age 2

Anyone playing this? I'm enjoying more than some of the reviews but wanted to see if anyone here has been playing with it. I'm in act 3 and can already tell I'll play it through at least one more time.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I'm just getting started in it, posting so I can find this thread again when I get further on in the game. So far I like it a lot though, looks so much better, and I appreciate a lot of the simplifications, like how it actually tells me how changing a piece of gear will affect my dps, making companions' gearsets basically one piece, stuff like that.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Big fan of Bioware, will get the game once i get enough free time to play it. If its anything like the first I'm sold. When it comes to RPGs, they do the best gameplay, which matters a lot to me.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Fun rouges are better. I wish it were bigger. Likes original better. Played on casual because I was pressed for time. Also prefer to put armor on my crew.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

It's being ripped apart online. I'm not gonna touch it with a five foot pole.

Check out this example of the terrible level design.

Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Big fan of Bioware, will get the game once i get enough free time to play it. If its anything like the first I'm sold. When it comes to RPGs, they do the best gameplay, which matters a lot to me.
My kid's all over it. He likes Bioware games and is also big into oblivion and KOTOR also.
I'm a COD guy, myself
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

It isn't a bad game, but isn't a sequel to Dragon Age 1 in any way. It is a very different game, streamlined and dumbed down to perform and fit on consoles.

The first game was an epic RPG like Baulder's Gate or Fallout. It let you explore a whole world.

This game lets you explore one city and the same cave over and over 15 times.

The combat is less tactical. You just wait for your super powers to recharge then smash the button as waves of enemies appear out of nowhere. Hey guess what, if I'm in that last group of 4, and the first 20 guys just got ripped apart in front of me, I aint jumping out of the shadows...

Still, the characters are cool, and the dialogue and moral options the game give are top notch. I'll go back and finish it one day, but right now I'm playing the hell out of Crysis 2 and Shogun 2.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
DrFate
Lord of Order

Great game, not the same epic feel as the first.

I disagree with people who complain about the level design - the design is fine, but they are recycled way too often.

In a way I'm happy that they didn't play the normal game of one-upsmanship

game 1 - save the world!
game 2 - save the universe!!
game 3 - save the multiverse!!!

Same setting, but in a parallel storyline to DA1. More restricted to the city of Kirkwall, but that isn't a bad thing, as you didn't have that 'run across the continent for some random reason' feeling like DA1.

I felt they toned down some of the tactics and turned up a little of the button mashing, but the writing and characters are quite solid (although I didn't really care about a couple of the characters)

They took a page from Mass Effect 2 by simlifying the inventory system (as one poster already said, you can't put armor on your friends). It simplifies things, but some people like that micromanagement. It's a give/take.

I liked the overall story, as it wasn't the same 'kill the big monster and save the world'.

Last edited by DrFate; 03-29-2011 at 09:34 AM..
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Its on my list to play but honestly after playing demons souls I doubt Ill be wowed by the game.

Right now I am playing Dc Universe online and having a blast, its really a lot of fun especially the pvp servers.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It just feels rushed.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Dexter
Pro Bowler

Bay Harbor Butcher

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I played through Dragon Age Origins 3 times, got all the achievements, and just loved the game. I've had this one pre ordered for awhile, and I think I'm only 2/3rds through after having it for maybe 3 weeks?

The combat is WAY better than Origins, and I actually enjoy the graphic changes. Unfortunately, I don't have a sense that I'm doing anything important. I also hate the changes they made with the gear. You can't give each party member custom gear except rings, amulets weapons and belts. BORING.

I'll probably still play this one through 2-3 times since I'm an achievement whore, but it probably won't be as fun as origins. It seems to me that Bioware has actually made a game with a mediocre story, something that they almost never do. Hopefully that doesn't become a trend.

Overall good game, not great which is disappointing.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I've only tried the demo, wasn't too crazy about it. I've never played rpg's, and understand that there's probly a learning curve that isn't really portrayed well in such a small demo, so I can't give an honest opinion.

Anybody have a recommendation for someone who'd like to get INTO Rpg's but doesn't have the formula down? Like, a beginner's rpg?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Most of you have the same views as myself. Except I like more than I don't.

Don't like
  • Not being able to put armor on your characters
  • Being locked in Kirkwall. I miss the world of Ferelden.
  • Having to revisit the same areas for different quests. I understand when you're in a city things happen in the same places over and over, so it makes sense but they should have let us "get out"
  • Virtually zero connection to the last game, with the exception of a few cameos.

Like's
  • The game is clean. I strongly disagree with the idea the game is rushed. I think they kept it simple and ironed out kinks and produced a solid story that progresses steadily and is well ballanced.
  • It's a good game if you aren't expecting a sequel. They should have called it "Kirkwall" and made it an offshoot game and not a true sequel. DA 2 is as much victim of high expectations. If they had not made it THE sequel people would be loving this.
  • The combat system is better. I agree it gets button mashy on easier difficulty, but try it on a higher setting. Your characters build's, keeping agro, and how and when you use power becomes much more important.
  • The story and characters are much better. I also like the main character having a voice. I am eager to play this through several times.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Prodigal19
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
It's being ripped apart online. I'm not gonna touch it with a five foot pole.

Check out this example of the terrible level design.

The level designs are pretty repetitive, but it is still a fun game. Not quite as good as the first, and definitely not as good as Mass Effect 2, but still fun.

Also, I wouldn't trust most of the user ratings online. It is being review bombed by /v/ and a couple of other sites because of how much the game play was changed from DAO. Most of the low reviews are by people that haven't played that game and are just riding the hive mind express.
Prodigal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
I've only tried the demo, wasn't too crazy about it. I've never played rpg's, and understand that there's probly a learning curve that isn't really portrayed well in such a small demo, so I can't give an honest opinion.

Anybody have a recommendation for someone who'd like to get INTO Rpg's but doesn't have the formula down? Like, a beginner's rpg?
Mass effect series
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I've beaten it twice, so obviously I like the game. It is true that you cannot change what your companions wear, but each Act has armor upgrades for each character. I suppose that's something. I dig the story, a much smaller focus coinciding with the events of DA:O. The fact the characters emote actually pulled me in a bit more to care about the story and made dialogue choices tougher.

Out of all your companions, Isabela and Merrill are my favorites. Anders...I dont dig whiners, and that is what the guy does. Alot. Fenris' constant I am angry ARGH bit got old, too. Varric is pretty awesome. For a dwarf. I have the distinct impression we see the Champion of Kirkwall in DA:3.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I disagree with the idea you aren’t doing anything important. It opens with you saving your family from the blight and then having earn off your debt from being a refugee for two years. You start at the bottom, sure, but how is that different than any other RPG? As the story progresses you gain in importance and your actions influence the city more and more. Do you save the world? No, but I agree with what was said earlier. I don’t need to save the universe every time I play a game and to be honest “saving the world” has been beat to dead millions of times in games. Saving a city, one that you spent a lot of time in, hits closer to home and is easier to conceptualize. It also progresses very well. I have several issues with the game, but the story and overall objectives were not among them.

And the online reviews are mostly garbage. Ones that say the game outright sucks, anyway. Ratings of 7-9/10 are closer to correct.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I disagree with the idea you aren’t doing anything important. It opens with you saving your family from the blight and then having earn off your debt from being a refugee for two years. You start at the bottom, sure, but how is that different than any other RPG? As the story progresses you gain in importance and your actions influence the city more and more. Do you save the world? No, but I agree with what was said earlier. I don’t need to save the universe every time I play a game and to be honest “saving the world” has been beat to dead millions of times in games. Saving a city, one that you spent a lot of time in, hits closer to home and is easier to conceptualize. It also progresses very well. I have several issues with the game, but the story and overall objectives were not among them.

And the online reviews are mostly garbage. Ones that say the game outright sucks, anyway. Ratings of 7-9/10 are closer to correct.

I'd give DA:II an 8.5, has some technical issues but nothing serious, and the game could have branched out a bit more into the FreeMarches, but that was not the focus of the game so its not that big a deal. Sound track was awesome, voice work was awesome. Story and character development was awesome.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Mass effect series
Knights of the old republic. The best period.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #20
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

I like his when I bang the elf her armour turns color. Let's me. Know how awesome I am.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I'd give DA:II an 8.5, has some technical issues but nothing serious, and the game could have branched out a bit more into the FreeMarches, but that was not the focus of the game so its not that big a deal. Sound track was awesome, voice work was awesome. Story and character development was awesome.

Do you play gay?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
I like his when I bang the elf her armour turns color. Let's me. Know how awesome I am.

Only means she is a pariah and her people hate her. But I'm sure its all due to your elf banging skills.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #23
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Do you play gay?

I've played this game three times. The first time I pursued the connection with Anders. The novelty of the relationship wore off as the game's story unfolded.

Isabela is my favorite. If I had a type of girl, it would be her.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Only means she is a pariah and her people hate her. But I'm sure its all due to your elf banging skills.

Well what do think she was going to say were are private people.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Well what do think she was going to say were are private people.

I liked the contrast. Normally when women wear white in the context of that type of relationship, she is reflecting purity. Not so with Merrill. Dalish are friggin odd.