The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default McD

One thing I really liked about McD was:

They way he treated the Draft. On Draft Day (not Defending his dumping draft picks for some marginal value when he panicked in season). He had Players he wanted he then put himself in a position to go and get those players. This is the Bill Walsh model for drafting. And Something I would really like to see continue. Yes you can argue the actual players, However this does not devalue the concept. Each Team is made up of 45 Players who dress on Game Day. With 270+ drafted, each team knows not every player will fit their style and Team. Better to find the 20 guys you think will be great and go get them then to Rank every Tom Dick and Harry and end up with who no one else wants.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Honestly, I don't think he drafted particularly poorly. The lack of defense was just too much to overcome.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HombreGuapo View Post
Honestly, I don't think he drafted particularly poorly. The lack of defense was just too much to overcome.
agree 100%. the players he got in general werent too bad, but a few big blunders overshadows the rest in most peoples eyes. i really like demaryius potential, ayers has the ability as well, and moreno, maybe with a run first coach he will finally break out? and tebow again has the potential to be very exciting. mcds guys havent broken out yet, but they have all shown flashes of huge potential, just hope fox can bring that out.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

too bad mcdumbass couldn't get along with the offensive players already on the roster when he got here. He could have drafted some better defensive players for the worst defense in the league.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

mcd also invested in some offensive lineman which was nice, hopefully Fox will invest in defensive lineman in this draft.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I thought he drafted bad really if you think about it.

1. Moreno not worth the 12th pick and not biggest need either.
2. Smith trade beyond retarded.
3. Quinn TE why did we draft him and trade picks to get him?
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Not a fan of 100 player draft boards or doing whatever it takes to "get your guy". Sometimes its better to settle for alternative No. 1 or No. 2 at a spot then give up value left and right just to get your most preferred choice. McDaniels never respected the institution of the draft. Constantly trading picks for scrubs was inexcusable.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post

And before McD nuthuggers come out and b**** about how great hindsight is, they should remember that at least 75% of the fanbase despised that draft ON DRAFT DAY!
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

He was a freakin idiot. Offense needed tweaked not overhauled. My grandma knew we needed defense............... The idiot set us back several years **** him ....
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

so much bitterness!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I liked how McD would trade things like next years number one draft pick for this year's second round draft pick. That kind of dedication to go after the guy you've GOT to have was really special. Plus, I liked how he would dump that guy that he HAD to have the next year, showing that he's not too proud to admit he makes huge mistakes. Plus it was kind of neat how he would dump a 10 touchdown runningback, and replace him with Lawrence Maroney. It takes special kind of preperation to have personnel skills this good. Hopefully John Fox can learn something from the way Josh McDaniels prepared and built the team. It's just too bad that Josh didn't leave a guide, or maybe some film on the subject.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I liked how McD would trade things like next years number one draft pick for this year's second round draft pick. That kind of dedication to go after the guy you've GOT to have was really special. Plus, I liked how he would dump that guy that he HAD to have the next year, showing that he's not too proud to admit he makes huge mistakes. Plus it was kind of neat how he would dump a 10 touchdown runningback, and replace him with Lawrence Maroney. It takes special kind of preperation to have personnel skills this good. Hopefully John Fox can learn something from the way Josh McDaniels prepared and built the team. It's just too bad that Josh didn't leave a guide, or maybe some film on the subject.
Sarcasm and some FILM llllll ah I see..............said the blind man !
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Moren, Ayers, Quinn, Smith, Thomas, McBath... all busts

Tebow and Beadles are maybes

Yeah, this guy is an idiot, eff him and the horse he rode in on.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #14
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Moren, Ayers, Quinn, Smith, Thomas, McBath... all busts

Tebow and Beadles are maybes

Yeah, this guy is an idiot, eff him and the horse he rode in on.
You're jumping the ****ing gun on calling some of those guys busts, jesus...
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
You're jumping the ****ing gun on calling some of those guys busts, jesus...
some people here hate mcd so much that they instantly hate all his draft picks too.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

I like how the op specifically states that he understands that the players chosen were less than ideal, but was in favor of the draft philosophy and immediately everyone starts yelling about the players that were picked.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I like how he got shiatcanned in less than 2 years. That was my favorite thing about McD.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Can't argue the biggest need, it wasn't, but Moreno was Top 20 in all-purpose yards in his first two seasons. In a different system (especially Fox's) he's probably a 1200, 1300-yard back.

Quote:
Can't argue. Stupid move, and then trading him before developing him was even worse. What was the return for Smith? Gronkowski and a pick?

Quote:
Not a particularly smart move. Maybe he starts at TE for eight seasons in Denver, but right now, I don't see it.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #19
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I like how the op specifically states that he understands that the players chosen were less than ideal, but was in favor of the draft philosophy and immediately everyone starts yelling about the players that were picked.
Concepts are hard for the om
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post

They way he treated the Draft. On Draft Day (not Defending his dumping draft picks for some marginal value when he panicked in season). He had Players he wanted he then put himself in a position to go and get those players. This is the Bill Walsh model for drafting. And Something I would really like to see continue. Yes you can argue the actual players, However this does not devalue the concept. Each Team is made up of 45 Players who dress on Game Day. With 270+ drafted, each team knows not every player will fit their style and Team. Better to find the 20 guys you think will be great and go get them then to Rank every Tom Dick and Harry and end up with who no one else wants.
Actually I'd say Shanny drafted like Walsh. Walsh like to draft players with talent but with injury concerns. Rarely did he trade up . Rice but Walsh had no #1s as much as he had a #1. If you meant he would trade out of the first round sure if that is what you meant by getting his players. His greatest draft and one of the best in history was when he kept trading back 1981

McD was a horrible builder of a football team and lacked the vision of Bill Walsh

2010 the way they manipulated the draft was great but the bottomline is the draft is where you build your team and Josh failed miserably. Hopefully the strategy was more Xanders who now has a guy in FOx that knows defensive talent.

Last edited by CEH; 03-27-2011 at 08:32 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #21
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post

I guess there's two draft philosophies - go get the guys you want, or wait and see who falls into your lap and draft the best one of them.

I guess it's the old conundrum, drafting for need vs. drafting BPA.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I actually hate the Bobby Berthard method of drafting (go getting your guy). I think makes the FO have blinders on that hurt you in the long run because you will trade away picks and depth to go get a guy that most like going to be out of the league in 3 years.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #23
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

As for the players drafted, they made some picks that hopefully will be good solid players for the new regime, maybe a few of them can get into the 'great' category.

Moreno, Ayers, Thomas, Beadles, Decker, Squid, Cox, Tebow, McBath, Bruton, Quinn, Phonz, Eric Olsen, Seth Olsen, Jammie Kirlew, McKinley, Brandstater, Blake Schlueter, Walton those are the 19 draft picks by McD.

Four #1's, four #2's, two #3's, two #4's, two #5's, two #6's, three #7's.

Cassius Vaughn and Kyle McCarthy were UDFA's.

So far, not so good, but hopefully those that are left on the roster can be a decent core for the new regime to build with.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Let's just hope the new front office can do better than both Shanny and McD, although I think it's too early to say McD's drafts weren't good. We know that out of 14 years Shanny had maybe 3 good drafts and that is just not acceptable.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #25
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

I am so glad he's gone, so glad. Once the picks are "ours", I love every one of them, and will continue to cheer these guys on, and I'm hoping the Fox turns this thing around, and develops them all into huge stars. When Shanny left, I felt our offense was top ten, and our defense was two to three guys away from being very good.......McD left us in a mess. I am so glad he's gone.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote